Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Kid has lost all his confidence, he doesn’t look like he’s having any fun playing in playoffs.

Leafs will be very cautious with this player moving forward. Doubt they commit to him long term this summer as some have suspected.

I agree with the sportsnet crew that he is most definitely not the same player as last season.

kinda sad actually, seems like a good kid
They will commit long term.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

Reactions: Fearnot

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Man, people are really having a field day here. He'll be fine. He's not generational, but he will be a very good first line centre for many years and the team has been able to make the playoffs twice already with him. The Leafs aren't experienced enough to win in the playoffs yet and the supporting cast in general needs to be upgraded before the team becomes a true contender. More playoff experience is needed as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Did he actually refuse to speak to the media after the game tonight? If so, it makes you wonder if he's got the right temperament to be the leader on an NHL team in a crazy high pressure market like Toronto. It's a very tough gig.

Reactions: TheNumber4

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
to be fair anyone would be struggling playing 4 games in a row against chara. So it would stand to reason that any top level center would be struggling in the playoffs if all you had to go on was getting beaten on by chara for 4 games.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I feel bad for Auston. Welcome to Toronto, bud. Just don't read hfboards/any media source, and keep doing what you do best, and they'll shut up eventually.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Not his fault the Leaf fans & media overhyped him a bit.

screenshot-2017-06-06-at-4-41-41-pm-e1496782360734.png

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Guys, I love to rip on the leafs as much as the next guy but Matthews is clearly playing with an injury.

Also, the leafs defence is horrid. The Jets are missing 4 of their top 6 D tomorrow and I wouldn't trade for the leafs fully healthy d corps. That's not Matthews fault.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I dont think hes struggled. Hes had some times of pure dominance in the offensive zone without much puck luck and a whole lot of Rask and Chara. The kids still the leader of this team offensively going forward, his having to play every shift against Chara has opened up a lot of ice for Marner to show how dominant he can also be.

The defense apparently struggle on 2 on 1's though... not where they learned how to defend those.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Ummm, did you see Matthews interview after his 4 goal game "That last play was 100% my fault." The exact reason I reference that is because that is him taking ownership. Which you claim he doesn't.

What Eichel does is not really take ownership. He just learned to repeat ROR's mantra of "I need to play better."

Yeah, mediocrity. A team that has gone from 69 points (30th overall), to 95 points (14th overall) to 105 points (7th overall). I'd say that is more than mediocraty. I mean, enjoy your high pick, hopefully, this one lives up to expectations for you. I'm sure you are enjoying the progression from 81 points (23rd overall) to 78 points (25th overall) to 62 points (31st overall)

The reason I don't give you a thought out intelligent response is because you are around here being a baby about Matthews because he has outplayed your boy Jack for the last 2 years. You said a few weeks ago you agreed to appreciate him as a player, then now you are belittling him the first chance you get. First its, well "Matthews has never been better than Eichel in the same year PPG wise." Well, that changed. Now its "Matthews can't get 30 assists." Maybe you should pay attention to the ice-time discrepancies. Matthews wasn't only better than Eichel this year despite Eichel being in his 3rd year, he's been better than him the last 2 years despite being younger, and has been better than him at comparable ages.

Are you serious about Eichel not pouting? Have you seen this interview?

You are just finding an opportunity to push your childish agenda and it is so transparent it is ridiculous. Matthews hasn't played at an elite level so far, especially in the 1st game. But, to say he's been invisible or a detriment to his team is hyperbole of the highest order.

I give you credit for taking the time to do all this.

But as in life, hockey interviews are incredibally contrived, they feel like acting audtions, line rehearsals.

To the point where Crosby, McDavid all get notes from Gretzky on how to talk and handle the media when you are truly exceptional.

Austin was SMART enough to know that after his four goal game, losing 5-4 he was going to blame himself.

It's a way to look good.

It's not hard to figure out. He owned his mistake there, fine. I know it's an incredible accomlishment but your need to repeat it over and over borderlines obsession.

Sam Gagner had 8 pts in one game. Sometimes these things happen. How many 4 goal games has Auston put up since?

Sometimes these things happen. It's not like he broke in the league and kicked the door down, like the media portray it.

So far his team has been bailed out by a total pro Goaltender (The game of hockey is largely about goaltending) something I attribute the Leafs making the playoffs, far more then Auston Matthews. Mitch Marner AINT A BAD guy to have around, neither is the leadership from Lou, Shanahan, Babcock, Reilly and a host of others., (Third liner JVR scoring 30 goals) the team is pretty damn stacked.

But Auston Matthews is the front and center and that's the way YOU, the Media and everyone else want to write the show.

Guess what?

Auston Matthews may not even be a top 2 player on his teaam.

It's extremely arguable Marner and Anderson are more valuable. Marner has been in Auston's shadow his entire playing time.

But the Media will never ever write it that way, of course not. People talk about hyperbole,and use that word over and over but look in the mirror for crying out loud.

You talk about my childish agenda and you fail to realize Mattthews acting like a baby after Game 2. His comments after his first game, I knew right away That's how you look good to a coach, and the league.

Did you expect Auston to go, Yeah we lost 5-4 but HELL YEA, FOUR GOALS BABY!

No, your a pro of course your going to be humble.

Austin can do no wrong, ever in your eyes.

After the misery and suffering your franchise has gone through, seeing someone do fairly well has got to be a relief so I can understand all of you instantly falling in love with him.

But love does a funny thing. It alters perceptions and its abundantly clear here that you and other Leaf Fans, will find a way, any way, it could be BS stuff like Cori, or finding these useless interviews which again, that's great of you to find them but they proved nothing.

If Auston was in Jack's shoes, not only would the Sabres be worse IMO but I believe his lack of accountability (Spare him trying to look good in his debut to everyone) WHICH HE DID, is bad.

Auston would probably be booed by everyone in Bufffalo. Eichel actually owns his faults. But losing game after game is frustrating, especially when your an elite talent like Jack. If Auston was losing the games Jack is due to goaltending, coaching, and yes even Auston;s play, he'd be just as mad.

And his actions as of late CLEARLY show he would handle it probably a hell of a lot worse.

No agenda, just facts and basic logic.

Were done here.

Ulnless the AM tinted glasses go in the garbage.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The thing about Matthews is unless his team is going, he's not going to be able to get going. He doesn't create on his own, like he can't take the puck through the neutral zone and get himself a chance on net with any regularity by himself. His chances rely on a really great pass by a teammate to let him shoot it, or finding a rebound if his teammate banks one off the pads. These types of chances rely on the Leafs winning the possession game which they won't be doing against this better Bruins core. He is what he is, he's a shooter with above average hand eye coordination. But doesn't have the speed, vision, or awareness to create much single handedly like some of the leagues best can.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
That's pretty sad, to be honest. After all the losing in the last 10 years, you shouldn't be happy with another lotto pick. Could be another Sam Reinhart.

You realize Sam Reinhart finished the year with 25, 25, 50 on the lowest scoring team, yeah, mostly playing on the third line?

Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad