Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s definitely a playoff chocker, if I were Toronto I would try to trade him for some grit while he still has value. I think Matthews for Chiasson and a 7th rounder would be ideal.

Maybe the Leafs could retain 50% off Matthews caphit and get a 6th even

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's playing against the best line since The Legion Of Doom. What did people expect?
He's been a big part of why they only have 20 points over two games. I mean, that's only a little over a point per period per player, which isn't bad. Most other centres would've given up more... ?

That might explain 50% of the 2nd game, but Hyman faced the same line and has been one of the best Leafs these first 2 playoff games. It's all about will and not being afraid of contact.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
It's amusing to read all excuses from the Nostrils fanclub. Matthews is the greatest of all time, yet he has accomplished jack shit so far vs Bergeron. Jack shit.

I also find it interesting that some fans believe that he is playing injured. If that's the case can we all agree that the kid is injury prone?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's amusing to read all excuses from the Nostrils fanclub. Matthews is the greatest of all time, yet he has accomplished jack **** so far vs Bergeron. Jack ****.

I also find it interesting that some fans believe that he is playing injured. If that's the case can we all agree that the kid is injury prone?

Agreed.

Big nostrils, injury prone, and ineffective vs. Bergeron. Boston sweep. Hyman is better.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Would be willing to bet real money you didn’t actually watch a second of either Leafs game lol.
The heck is with this comeback? It sounded pretty accurate to me. And yes, I also watched both Leafs games, and yes, I also watched them in full. Would be fantastic being able to argue about actual things about his play rather than thinking people "didn't watch" if they didn't think Matthews played an amazing game.

Matthews indeed was mostly deferring to others with low impact plays or he was shooting muffins at the logo.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The heck is with this comeback? It sounded pretty accurate to me. And yes, I also watched both Leafs games, and yes, I also watched them in full. Would be fantastic being able to argue about actual things about his play rather than thinking people "didn't watch" if they didn't think Matthews played an amazing game.

Matthews indeed was mostly deferring to others with low impact plays or he was shooting muffins at the logo.

If you honestly think that:

“Screams of a player realize he's just not good enough and is trying to up his shot clock so he can say atleast I was somewhat effective,”

Is anything but ridiculous description of Matthews during these games, I don’t see how such a view can be reasoned with.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That might explain 50% of the 2nd game, but Hyman faced the same line and has been one of the best Leafs these first 2 playoff games. It's all about will and not being afraid of contact.
hyman was also not coming off of 3 injuries, like a concussion, a injured shoulder...

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
He's playing against the best line since The Legion Of Doom. What did people expect?
He's been a big part of why they only have 20 points over two games. I mean, that's only a little over a point per period per player, which isn't bad. Most other centres would've given up more... ?
He’s not playing against Ottawa’s pizza line from 2007.....

Feb 24, 2017
cNEM9BG.jpg
Auston knows he’s about to turn it around. He can smell it.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Babcock needs to take advantage of last change these next couple games to get him away from Bergeron as much as possible.

Reactions: McDavidMania

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I do gotta wonder how JOE BOWEN is handling all this? Does his wife say “hey hun how was the call tonight.”

HOOOOOLY MACKINAW there was nothing from Matthews! Aaaaaaaaaustooon MATTTTHEWWWWWSSSS

That quote only works in the regular season.

Two games in the playoffs if there losses when your the teams best forward and do absolutely nothing is possibly half the series. Your team now has to win four of five to win there first series in fifteen years.

Now can you see why the it’s only been two games comment is dumb?
I was stuck listening to him yesterday my god what a homer, awful to listen to him

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It's about deflecting. Often seen by him and many others in Laine threads too.

Lmao I find this funny considering the insecurities that other Canadian fan bases have. Is Matthews struggling in the playoffs? Is Matthews a bigger jerk than Eichel? Next one will probably be “Is Matthews wearing blue today”. Ride his jock anymore he’ll be carrying them on his back lol

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Lmao I find this funny considering the insecurities that other Canadian fan bases have. Is Matthews struggling in the playoffs? Is Matthews a bigger jerk than Eichel? Next one will probably be “Is Matthews wearing blue today”. Ride his jock anymore he’ll be carrying them on his back lol

So your answer is "No, Matthews is not struggling in the playoffs". Then why are you still in here trying to pick fights with people trying to have legitimate conservations on the subject?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It's amusing to read all excuses from the Nostrils fanclub. Matthews is the greatest of all time, yet he has accomplished jack **** so far vs Bergeron. Jack ****.

Of course if Matthews struggles he must be injured.

The Great AUston Matthews who has never even compiled 30 assists in a season on a high scoring team like the Leafs couldn't go pointless in two playoff games unless such an injury was verified.

**** happens I guess.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

The Great AUston Matthews who has never even compiled 30 assists in a season on a high scoring team like the Leafs couldn't go pointless in two playoff games unless such an injury was verified.

**** happens I guess.
He missed 20 games this season and was 1 assist away from 30 this season. You should be familiar with injuries, eichel has had 2 major ones in the past 2 seasons.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
He missed 20 games this season and was 1 assist away from 30 this season. You should be familiar with injuries, eichel has had 2 major ones in the past 2 seasons.

There's that AV I love, and yeah I do I was more-so posting that in tongue in cheek style, "Eichel isn't a 60 pt palyer" (before this year) type posts ignoring injuries.

I just think the guy has the whole franchise on his shoulders right now.

What about Nylander. JVR, where have they gone, etc.

wwgrd

Apr 28, 2014

**** happens I guess.

Hey bud, clearly you are a bitter sabres fan that is pissed off that the sabres lost out on mcdavid, ekblad and Babcock....and will perhaps lose the first over all pick again LOL Probably a little pissed off that Kane left and is playing well too.

Love how you are talking about Maththews attitude when O'Reilly (and the back up goalie LOL) were tossing the entire sabres organization under the bus to the media ...that probably bugs you a bit too eh?...

Maybe you are bitter because the sabres arena is basically the Leafs 2nd Home. They should really start selling leaf gear at leaf/sabre games to be honest.. I went to all of them this year and its embarrasing actually...a joke.

Eichel is a very good player but thats all he will ever be while playing for that dumpster fire of an organization. My bet is he will request a trade out of Buffalo in less than 2 years... I mean wouldnt anyone at this point?

Take a lap bud.

P.S- They gave out Dominick Hasek bobble heads the other night in Buf....LoL! Through it in the garbage when I left the game. What a joke. Cant wait for the Eichel! Gionta is next I bet.

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Oh no, Bergeron who shut down Crosby in the past is now shutting down Matthews! SELL SELL SELL!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
There's that AV I love, and yeah I do I was more-so posting that in tongue in cheek style, "Eichel isn't a 60 pt palyer" (before this year) type posts ignoring injuries.

I just think the guy has the whole franchise on his shoulders right now.

What about Nylander. JVR, where have they gone, etc.
What AV. Also I never made fun of eichel not being a 60 point player cuz I knew he'd get it if he was healthy Jvr and nylander are being soft useless wingers

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
What AV. Also I never made fun of eichel not being a 60 point player cuz I knew he'd get it if he was healthy Jvr and nylander are being soft useless wingers

No I know I was referring to others. I am talking about the AV, your avatar and the eyes joke from the other day that you laughed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->