Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Swamp Rabbits Thread *Part VI*

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Any early season updates for the guys playing in Greenville?

Halvy, the only important NYR player w GSR, has been good, GAA under 2, 1 SO in 3 games

Chapie has played all 4 games, 2A, -2

On D, Donnay -1 1A has played all 4 games, as have Pack signees Noonan -1 2A and Goulakos +1 0 pts

Oksanen has only played once, assume he's hurt, thats the most interesting story to me

Malcolm allowed 5 GA in only start/game

http://www.echl.com/player-stats?pl...ague_code=echl&currentPage=1&position=skaters

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If Halverson spends the year in the swamp, which he will, he should be one of the top 3 goalies in the league.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Those Swamp Rabbits jerseys are so nice.

Totally agree. Not only was the rebranding a full success, the new jerseys (especially the blue ones) are seriously nice, the colours match so well!

That being said, the new Wolfpack jerseys are also very nice, again the blue oned are very stylish.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Halverson spends the year in the swamp, which he will, he should be one of the top 3 goalies in the league.

IDK. The quality of play down there can be bad. Some of the defensive play is...ugly. Goaltender stats are pretty subjective at that level. There are also plenty of established professionals down there that own that level but can't hack it in or above the AHL. I expect him to have a good season, but any expectation of top threee/top five/top ten/etc. is highly arbitrary.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Skapski, in the final year of his contract, is having a rocky start in Hartford. If the Rangers trade Skapski or don't qualify him for next year, a strong year with many games in the ECHL career should be good preparation for Halverson's 2017/18 push for an AHL spot.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
IDK. The quality of play down there can be bad. Some of the defensive play is...ugly. Goaltender stats are pretty subjective at that level. There are also plenty of established professionals down there that own that level but can't hack it in or above the AHL. I expect him to have a good season, but any expectation of top threee/top five/top ten/etc. is highly arbitrary.

Look if a kid plays below the usual level of prospects his age, I expect him to play so well there that it's clear that he's too good for that level. Being ok or even good at that level means he'll stay there or at most move up one level. I want him to show that he doesn't belobg in the ECHL and is presently capable of playing higher level hockey, and as he improves, he won't go from the ECHL to the AHL, but from being AHL-equivalent skill now and will be in the NHL in his prime.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Look if a kid plays below the usual level of prospects his age, I expect him to play so well there that it's clear that he's too good for that level. Being ok or even good at that level means he'll stay there or at most move up one level. I want him to show that he doesn't belobg in the ECHL and is presently capable of playing higher level hockey, and as he improves, he won't go from the ECHL to the AHL, but from being AHL-equivalent skill now and will be in the NHL in his prime.

I understand your logic. I just don't agree with your arbitrary quantitative thresholds for success. What if Greenville plays horrendous defense all season, Halverson plays really well, but finishes 9th in GAA? What if there are a handful of teams with great defenses and ECHL veteran goalies and Halverson finishes "only" fifth in SV%? What if his stats looks good but people that watch him say he looks shaky? There are just so many variables to consider. It's crazy to say "he needs to be top three or bust." Totally arbitrary.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I understand your logic. I just don't agree with your arbitrary quantitative thresholds for success. What if Greenville plays horrendous defense all season, Halverson plays really well, but finishes 9th in GAA? What if there are a handful of teams with great defenses and ECHL veteran goalies and Halverson finishes "only" fifth in SV%? What if his stats looks good but people that watch him say he looks shaky? There are just so many variables to consider. It's crazy to say "he needs to be top three or bust." Totally arbitrary.

If the save %is high but a losing record, that's OK

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

I'm not talking about stats necessarily, but he should be putting up much better numbers than other Rabbit goalies regardless. If the Swamp is awful, I want reports that he's the only reason for keeping the Rabbits in the game.

Look at Talbot: Alabama was awful, but he still took them to the Sweet-16 and almost beat the #1 ranked Miami-Ohio by standing on his head that game. Then in Hartford in 2012-13, the team was awful, and their defense even worse (probably the worst in the AHL that year), but Talbot alnost got them into the playoffs. His stats weren't bad, but not great either, but only because defensive breakdowns meant he faced a ton of fastbreaks every game. Even without watching, just by stat-surfing you could tell that Talbot was not just a passanger, but a driver because the other 2 Pack goalies would get rocked every game (other than Missiaen's late season hot streak that dropped his GAA to a somewhat respectable 3.07).

If the Swamp is just as awful, I want to hear reports that Halverson's better than his stats suggest. I want to hear how he keeps the terrible team in games by being great. I want him giving up a lot less than other Swamp goalies.

What I don't want is Halverson being an average ECHL goalie. Average ECHLers do not make the NHL. To be an NHL starter, you need to abuse the AHL first, and to even crack the AHL, you need to be dominant in the ECHL. The gap between being an average ECHLer and an NHL starter is too vast to make up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest