Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Swamp Rabbits Thread *Part VI*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Game highlights are already up on the AHL website. The best goal was the Gilmour goal. He pinched in to the left face-off dot area, took a pass, was all alone, wristed it under the crossbar. Guy has a really nice wrister...as we saw in the pre-season as well.

BradySkjei

Oct 14, 2016
Game highlights are already up on the AHL website. The best goal was the Gilmour goal. He pinched in to the left face-off dot area, took a pass, was all alone, wristed it under the crossbar. Guy has a really nice wrister...as we saw in the pre-season as well.

Hello. Where do you find the highlights for the HWP games?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So you think Hagelin upside?

From his freshman year, I said Hagelin was a 2nd/3rd line tweener. I think Nieves has more offensive upside. He has better offensive instincts. Hagelin was the better all-around player--he even played center for Michigan. He did literally everything. Nieves I think has legitimate 2nd line upside. The potential even to play on the first line and be useful. He's obviously not there but I think he has the pure upside.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Really like Nieves' game a lot. Great pass by Bodie to Gilmour for that goal. Hellberg left out to try on one of the goals. Believe he is like 25 already. Don't think he has much of a career at the NHL level, at least for the Rangers. Hopefully he does get a chance somewhere. Seems like a good goalie.

BradySkjei

Oct 14, 2016
I'm interested in ordering the one team package from theahl.com for $149.99 year pass. Does anyone have any experience using their service? I'm not too picky. I just want good quality stream of all of our games so I can follow prospects.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
FIRST PERIOD

Stromwall- Nieves - Kovacs are the starting line for the Pack. Gilmour and Graves on defense. Hellberg in the net.

Nieves with an early hit on a Hab to cause a turnover behind the net, great veteran-like play.

Glass is now #51 on the Pack to allow Hrivik to keep #15. Glass - Hrivik - Jensen are the second line.

Bodie is wearing a C. Don't think this was announced before.

McRae - Brown - Rambo are the third line.

Carey - Fogarty - Joly are the fourth line.

GOAL: Paliotta takes the puck at the blue line, fake slap shot, skates around a Baby Hab nicely displaying good skating, vision and stickhandling, pass to Rambo who deflects it in. Nice hands by Rambo. 1-0.

PENALTY: Paliotta takes a penalty. Gilmour dumps out the puck once, the Habs come back and he dumps it out again, then he causes another turnover as they try to enter the zone. Fogarty on the second PK unit. Bodie sends Kovacs on a shorthanded breakaway, nice move but stopped. Kenny G really giving rookies a chance on the PK, but it's killed off.

Brown on the a breakaway, but hits the crossbar.

Couple of good saves by Hellberg, but he had to make a good second save because he first left a big rebound.

PENALTY: Undisciplined move by Carey who got frustrated and shoved a guy elbow to the face. Not hard, but enough to get a PK. Gilmour lets a guy breeze by him. PK killed.

Brown, who caused the start of the original play that led to the goal again caused an offensive zone turnover with his hard work. Good job by him this period.

Kovacs with a dumb cross ice pass that was nearly identical to the turnover Butcher made yesterday causing the Isles to score a goal.

Stromwall looking good on offense.

GOAL: Hrivik with a totally braindead play throwing the puck between the circles on defense where a Hab was standing and it leads to a goal. If Hrivik wants to ever play in the NHL or even the KHL, this cannot happen again. Ever. For the rest of his career.

GOAL: Great pass by Brown to McRae who shoots like a real goalscorer. 2-1. Great period by Brown and McRae so far.

Nieves gets elbowed in the face. Stays down and the trainer comes onto the ice to treat him. Gets up and skates off on his own.

PENALTY: A Hab almost goes on a breakaway, Hughes chases him down, jumps and pulls him down. It's a penalty and was awfully close to a penalty shot, but the Hab was not clearly on the breakaway, so good timing by Hughes. Better a PK than a breakaway.

GOAL: Game tied on the PK. High glove side shot, hard and on point, but Hellberg should stop or at least react to those if he wants to be in the NHL. Kind of a waste of a 6th round pick, I don't see him as an NHLer, not even a backup.

Nieves looking good, but can't win a faceoff to save a life (that's common for rookies who are new to the pros).

SECOND PERIOD

Hughes with 2 nice keep ins as the Habs tried to clear the zone. Summers-Hughes is apparently the third pairing, which is phenomenal because in past years, they'd definitely be at least a second pair. They're great for an AHL third pair.

McRae with a dumb play causing an icing.

Kovacs with a steal in the offensive zone.

Graves has a hard, accurate shot, but he needs to get it off quicker.

Strom - Nieves - Kovacs are out there a lot. Looks like Kenny G expects to rely on them this season.

Jensen also on the ice a lot, but has been invisible so far. Hrivik tries hard, but looks like he's trying too hard, which is not working out.

Pack PP: Nieves obviously loses the faceoff, so it's dumped out. Graves firing the puck every time he sees it, but it's not going in because he takes too long to set up, giving the goalie the chance to get square. Paliotta knocks the puck out of mid-air to prevent a clearing. Killed.

Rambo looking better than last season.

Gilmour with a tricky shot that almost resulted in Carey scoring. Almost.

GOAL: I was about to write how good Nieves looks, but had to stop writing to watch him go around a guy and make a pass through the defenseman's legs to Kovacs who lifts it into the net. Beautiful pass, good shot. 3-2. Gilmour got the secondary assist.

2 on 1 for the Habs, nice glove save by Hell.

I know Hrivik has been switched from LW to C the last couple of years because he's the hockey version of a soccer midfielder, but he'd be better off back on the wing. I wrote this about Miller when they moved him to C and nobody agreed with me, but look now where he's been most successful. Hrivik would make the NHL much faster as a winger than center.

Habs try to jam the puck in, but Hell stops it. Closed the legs at last second as the puck was trickling in.

McRae tries to stickhandle, but it leads to a turnover in the Pack end.

Habs dominating the second period, but Hell is playing well.

Packers running around too much. I know fans love to have a team with a lot of rookies, but this is not good. Would be nice to add an adult capable of playing on the Pack top-6.

Rambo working hard, and more effective now than last season.

THIRD PERIOD

Nieves wins a faceoff! I think it's the first time I saw him do that.

GOAL: Nieves loses a faceoff, but the puck goes hard back and hits the goal post. Nieves drives to the net and scores. 4-2. Malte with an assist.

Nieves had a terrific, terrific game except for faceoffs. The whole line (Strom - Nieves - Kovacs) has been very good.

Even though Fogarty is technically the 4C, Carey is usually taking the faceoffs when the 4th line is on the ice.

A Hab stops in a way to give a snow shower to Hellberg, Graves takes offense to that and exchanges a few punches with the guy. Mutual penalties.

GOAL: A Hab overpowers Bodie to drive to the net and score. 4-3.

Hellberg with 2 more good saves. All things considered, good game by him.

GOAL: Bodie looking really good with the puck transporting it up the ice. Sends it from the left circle to the right circle in a perfect pass to the open Gilmour who fires it up high. Great play by Bodie, good shot by Gilmour. McRae with a secondary assist, which is his third point of the game. 5-3

PENALTY: Glass rushes the puck, pass to Jensen who can't handle it because he got hooked.

Strom catches a turnover and creates a scoring chance.

Pack PK: Glass let's a Hab breeze by him, but he does clear the puck. Good save by Hell later. Hrivik with a clear. Glass steals the puck in the offensive zone. Later Graves clears the puck. Killed.

Gilmour with a dumb play to cause a defensive turnover. He's been good on offense, not so much on defense.

Brown with a great pass to Rambo who had a partial breakaway, but was stopped. Graves got the rebound, but also stopped.

The top 3 lines for the Pack looked real good, but the fourth line has looked slower and less talented by a good margin.

Pack PP: Rambo stupidity led to a clear. Hrivik braindead play results in another clear. Killed.

Stromwall with a good rush, pass to Nieves, good shot, but a save.

EN GOAL: Glass blocks a shot, clears the puck, Jensen chases it down and makes a spin-o-rama pass to Hrivik in center ice with the net open. Easy goal for Hrivik, props to Jensen.

GAME: 6-3

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Obviously a very small sample, but Nieves has 7 points in his first 9 professional games. I don't buy the narrative that he has third line upside. His college production isn't a reflection of his talent.

Yeah people kept saying his game won't translate to the pros, but it's been translating like a beast so far. Could've been the #1 star of the game, visible in a good way every shift. He was good in his few games last season too, and then in Traverse and his one preseason game.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
I'm interested in ordering the one team package from theahl.com for $149.99 year pass. Does anyone have any experience using their service? I'm not too picky. I just want good quality stream of all of our games so I can follow prospects.

I bought it yesterday... for the love of God, be careful when you enter your data... I had a minor typo in my address, had to redo it, and as a thank you I got billed twice :shakehead

Quality of the stream... unlike when watching the NHL you got 8 million illegal streams and 1 legal stream in all shapes and sizes out there, in the AHL you have exactly 1 stream, take it or leave it. The quality a 2 M/bit is ... OK, you can follow... just wish it was a touch more.

I did my math how many games I'd watch and I think I'm down to $4 a game... which is no money at all in reality for entertainement.

BradySkjei

Oct 14, 2016
I bought it yesterday... for the love of God, be careful when you enter your data... I had a minor typo in my address, had to redo it, and as a thank you I got billed twice :shakehead

Quality of the stream... unlike when watching the NHL you got 8 million illegal streams and 1 legal stream in all shapes and sizes out there, in the AHL you have exactly 1 stream, take it or leave it. The quality a 2 M/bit is ... OK, you can follow... just wish it was a touch more.

I did my math how many games I'd watch and I think I'm down to $4 a game... which is no money at all in reality for entertainement.

Thanks for the insight. The price is okay, not much to pay for good hockey. Worth more than a couple of meals out. The main concern was the quality. It might take a while to get use to the shape and sizes and movement styles of players before I can start recognizing who it is if the quality isn't superb. I had a tough time with the Traverse City Tournament making out who was who half the time and that makes it really tough to actually track certain players.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks, Beacon! I used to be concern about Swedes transition to the AHL, especially Kovac. Glad to read that they are doing well. How did Tambs look beside the goal? Would he be better served with Hrivik and Jensen?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Obviously a very small sample, but Nieves has 7 points in his first 9 professional games. I don't buy the narrative that he has third line upside. His college production isn't a reflection of his talent.

I agree 100%. The kid has all of the tools and he is smart.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Thanks for the insight. The price is okay, not much to pay for good hockey. Worth more than a couple of meals out. The main concern was the quality. It might take a while to get use to the shape and sizes and movement styles of players before I can start recognizing who it is if the quality isn't superb. I had a tough time with the Traverse City Tournament making out who was who half the time and that makes it really tough to actually track certain players.

AHL Live is potato quality and it's a crime that they offer the package at such an absurd rate. It's not worth 69.99. I would get it if it were $50.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Hrivik after being cut: "Well, I guess the silver lining here is I won't have to play with dead weight Tanner Glass anymore."

"Marek, say hello to your new LW, Tanner Glass!"

"****"

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Hi, my name is MacKenzie. My friends call me Mac or Red. I'm a Taurus and absolutely love kittens! I also love long walks on the beach, intimate dinners, and reading self improvement books. If I could invite any 3 people living or dead to dinner, they would be Jesus, Nelson Mandela, and Benoit Allaire. I'm looking for a soul mate with a nasty high slot wrist shot to test my reflexes.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Empty cupboard my ass. Great to see Kovacs, Gilmour and Nieves impress.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Empty cupboard my ass. Great to see Kovacs, Gilmour and Nieves impress.

Kovacs was ok, but he was the passenger on that line with both Nieves and Strom looking better. But none of them looked out of place on the top-6.

Gilmour is good offensively and a smooth skater, but made a bunch of rookie mistakes on defense. Needs work.

Nieves was f'ing great.

Rambo looked pretty good. He's a scorer and doesn't need to be visible. His game is similar to Gaborik, which is to hide on offense then pop out of nowhere and score. His defense and positioning looked better than last season.

Graves was apparently told to use his 104 mph shot, and he did. If it ever takes him under an hour to set up to shoot, maybe the puck will go in. Also, given that he's the same size as Mcilrath, Graves should be more physical. But the biggest issue is consistency. Last year he was the best player on the ice some games and total garbage other games.

Glass - Hrivik - Jensen did not impress me. Not one of them.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Based only on the highlights, Bodie continues to show that he'd be great if the game was only played on offense. Nice to have at the AHL level, but will never play in the NHL. Hope he can carve out a nice career for himself doing that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Based only on the highlights, Bodie continues to show that he'd be great if the game was only played on offense. Nice to have at the AHL level, but will never play in the NHL. Hope he can carve out a nice career for himself doing that.

He's not a bad defensive player technically, but just too weak. Theoretically, you can build a lot of muscle over a year if you work out daily, but you can't do that during the season because a proper weight lifting workout leaves you very sore or else you didn't really workout, and that makes it impossible to play pro hockey. Common sense suggests that most players use steroids for at least 1-2 cycles because the only way to gain 15-20 pounds of muscle in one summer is steroids no matter what anyone says, and almost all the prospect wind up with that one summer when they gained 15-20 pounds, the exact amount you gain from your first steroid cycle (each additional cycle produces much less). Under medical review, no person ever gained over 18.7 pounds of muscle in a single year. Maybe there are some freaks who gained a little more, but you can't gain 20 pounds in 3 months when no doctor recorded that much in a full year. Bodie didn't do it and wound up at a severe disadvantage. I'm not advocating it, but it is a factor when you're already a small guy and everyone does steroids while you stay honest, you will have a very hard time being competitive with them physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad