Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You’re too much about giving “seniority”. I’m not about about the good old boys club. We want to develop our players. It’s about the big club not the AHL championship, even though he would have helped with the W tonight.
I don't even know what you're talking about, honestly. But ok.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's funny because Kravtsov was considered generally a lock for the opening night roster. Then it became clear he wasn't ready. So he goes to Hartford. Plays...not great. Is he unwilling? Unhappy? Who knows. Play is not up to snuff. Then he doesn't get an opportunity as one of the first three shooters and people act like it's professional malpractice from the coach. Get ****ing real. It's so incredibly early and guys are gonna sit sometimes, sometimes they'll get less of an opportunity that we'd want in ideal circumstances, and other times it will be the opposite. Some of the reactions here are ridiculous.

The shootout today--Chytil, Lettieri and DiGiuseppe--good choices really. Chytil's been Hartford's best and most dangerous forward. Lettieri was a point a game AHL player and the team's best goal scoring threat last year. He's borderline NHL but a damned good AHL player. DiGiuseppe's playing well--leads the team in shots on goal after 4 games with 16. So far Kravtsov has 0 shots on goal after 3 games. Yeah Knoblauch could have played a hunch and gone with Kravtsov--he wouldn't have been my last choice but the guys Knoblauch did pick have really earned it with their play....so I wouldn't complain over something like this. There are a lot of micromanagers around.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean you literally put the word seniority in quotes like it was something I said and then talked about the old boys club. I didn't talk about or even allude to any of that.

My two posts simply talked about how the organization clearly and repeatedly said they wanted to change the culture in Hartford, and bringing in good, veteran players was a big part. They have a lot of guys and for the rest of the season, they're going to be balancing that each game. Sometimes, kid are going to sit. I don't see the problem.

And as I said with Quinn--he has no problem sitting a guy who is otherwise very effective because he's not doing the "right thing", whether that's at practice or in games. I believe this is an organizational philosophy that extends to Hartford. If they don't think a younger player is doing what they need to do to be successful (and Kravtsov is down in Hartford for that exact reason, to learn how to be successful), then he will get limited TOI and opportunities in big spots until he improves whatever it is the coaches want him to improve. Just like with DeAngelo and Buchnevich and Kreider and whoever else.

The organization demands that guys do certain things and play a certain way in order to get real minutes and bigger opportunities. That was my point. So, yeah, I have no f***ing clue what you're talking about with seniority and the Old Boys Club, because nothing I said has anything to do with either of those things.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
There's a lot of guys down there, veteran and young. It's a balancing act. Sometimes young guys will sit and watch, other times it will be the vets. JD was very clear that he wanted to instill a winning culture and environment down there, and part of that is relying more on veteran leadership like so many of the other successful AHL franchises.

I have no problem with them playing to win games, particularly early in the season. Get off to a good start and build the foundation for the rest of the season. And if Kravtsov wants to be more involved then he needs to consistently play better.

The Keane thing is much ado about nothing.
I agree with everything your saying here... and at this early in the season and the staffs tenure I’m not gonna complain just yet.
But imo ( and that’s all this is, my opinion) VK would give them the best chance to win when it gets to the shootout.
Everything else yea. Make him beat out the vets for playing time 5x5 pp etc. But I just don’t really see a better option if they’re going for the W when it gets to the skills competition.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
AHL is also more than a 'development league'. It's an actual pro league with a good share of players who are there trying to make a living playing the sport they love and have no NHL future. Coaches too, in some cases.

It's not just about 'development' down in the AHL, nor should it be just about 'development'.

Who's to say that the coach didn't go with the best options in the game?

Sometimes it takes more than a day or two for a prospect to understand what is expected from him. The organization has been very clear they want to change the culture in Hartford and that some things are non-negotiable. If that's going to work no one is exempt.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can’t believe people actually think “learning how to win in a winning environment” is actually more important to Kravtsov’s development than...actually playing
Two separate things. The winning environment is important to establish for the sake of every player down there. It's better to develop in a positive environment where winning is the norm not the exception. The toxic environment of the past couple years was good for no one.

The second part is whether the best thing for a player's development is just to play all the time even if the player is not ready to contribute. As I've said repeatedly, Quinn benched guys like DeAngelo, Buchnevich, and even Kreider IIRC for not playing what he considered the right way. If Kravtsov isn't doing the things that the coaches have told him he needs to do, then sitting him out isn't necessarily the wrong play. DeAngelo responded by playing the best hockey he had ever played; same for Buchnevich. They're doing something similar with Kravtsov. Of course we all want him to play, but I'm content with him being limited until he can fully contribute and do the things the coaches expect.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Learning how to play the right way is also learning how to be a responsible player. Just because a player oozes with talent shouldn't give him carte blanche to neglect other parts of his overall game. It's one of the reason why Kakko makes the team---you can see him working all over the ice. He's a 200' player and he doesn't shy away from contact. It might be a hard lesson for Chytil and Kravtsov right now but they have to learn it. Mika and Panarin don't take shortcuts either. They are examples of players who understand the right way to play and best to do it now at the beginning of their careers than later on or not at all.

......and again a winning environment is important. That's why we chose Knoblauch as a coach---that's why we brought in LoVerde to help the D--and it doesn't help Shesterkin or Huska get better if the D is always running around in a panic. The players need to buy into team goals and losing all the time takes away from those goals.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
All this shows me is outside of the very few franchise type players guys come from the KHL tires fully pumped yet completely unprepared for NHL hockey.

I’m extremely disappointed in how unready he’s looked

both Wahlstrom and Farabee have looked light years better and he should be a much better prospect than both.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
All this shows me is outside of the very few franchise type players guys come from the KHL tires fully pumped yet completely unprepared for NHL hockey.

I’m extremely disappointed in how unready he’s looked

both Wahlstrom and Farabee have looked light years better and he should be a much better prospect than both.

Neither are as high end as Kravtsov though....and both played for the USA development team which focuses it's players on being able to play in every situation. Neither Wahlstrom or Farabee have had to make the adjustment to playing on North American ice or just the cultural adjustment of coming from overseas as a 20 year old.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
But it very much is. Long term NYR goals are more important than getting a regular season AHL win.
You don’t develop players by throwing a bucket of pucks on the ice and letting them play. That’s a fantasy hockey approach to development. You need leadership, stability and structure that will sometimes mean bumps in the road. The last thing you want to end up with is a very bad, very young team.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pack loaned D Jeff Taylor to Maine. They now have seven D on the roster.

Day
Ebert
Geertsen
Keane
Lindgren
LoVerde
Raddysh

It will be interesting to see how they handle the rotation. I would guess Keane, Geertsen, and Day would be the three guys most likely to sit on a given night. Maybe Ebert, depending on how he fits in--but like Raddysh, I don't think they acquired him to not play him.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Wolfpack might actually be doing things the correct way for once.

Yes, there are some AAAA players on the roster taking ice from younger players, but setting an example for the young players is the way to go. Also showing them what they need to do to get more time is ideal.

Not only this, but we're going to need players come the deadline. Have to think Strome, Kreider, and possibly Fast are heading out in February. While having young guys fill those spots, they may not be ready. This would allow a Kravtsov more ice time in the AHL, if he isn't ready.

Also, getting into the AHL playoffs would be nice. Yes, there are plans to be in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but having our kids in big games at that level is good for them.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Day
Ebert
Geertsen
Keane
Lindgren
LoVerde
Raddysh

It will be interesting to see how they handle the rotation. I would guess Keane, Geertsen, and Day would be the three guys most likely to sit on a given night. Maybe Ebert, depending on how he fits in--but like Raddysh, I don't think they acquired him to not play him.

if Day does not play in the AHL, Rangers should find room too. Keane as a 1st year pro should be playing in the AHL as well

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

Day
Ebert
Geertsen
Keane
Lindgren
LoVerde
Raddysh

that might mean Rykov is close. I expect them to carry 8 normally

Reactions: JimmyG89

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You don’t develop players by throwing a bucket of pucks on the ice and letting them play. That’s a fantasy hockey approach to development. You need leadership, stability and structure that will sometimes mean bumps in the road. The last thing you want to end up with is a very bad, very young team.
Nobody is saying to do that. You can still do things to try and give players confidence without ruining leadership, stability and structure. Everything isn't always black/white.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Neither are as high end as Kravtsov though....and both played for the USA development team which focuses it's players on being able to play in every situation. Neither Wahlstrom or Farabee have had to make the adjustment to playing on North American ice or just the cultural adjustment of coming from overseas as a 20 year old.

If anything this proves my point. These kids are prepared and look very good right away. Wahlstrom looks great today in 7 mins of ice so far. Multiple opportunities.

Kravtsov is struggling to even play Ahl hockey right now. It’s really a disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad