Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If anything this proves my point. These kids are prepared and look very good right away. Wahlstrom looks great today in 7 mins of ice so far. Multiple opportunities.

Kravtsov is struggling to even play Ahl hockey right now. It’s really a disappointment
Doesn't necessarily make them better prospects. Just more ready to make an impact. That's not to say it's wrong to feel a sense of disappointment that Kravtsov isn't more ready than he is, but a couple years out we could all feel very silly for having this kind of concern. It's not a race; not when you're dealing with teenagers.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Doesn't necessarily make them better prospects. Just more ready to make an impact. That's not to say it's wrong to feel a sense of disappointment that Kravtsov isn't more ready than he is, but a couple years out we could all feel very silly for having this kind of concern.

my post was more about how awful the KHL is in preparing guys to play nhl hockey. You can’t watch these kids and say oh man they’re going to be stars. We don’t know that Kravtsov will be better than these guys judging by his KHL play.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
You don’t develop players by throwing a bucket of pucks on the ice and letting them play. That’s a fantasy hockey approach to development. You need leadership, stability and structure that will sometimes mean bumps in the road. The last thing you want to end up with is a very bad, very young team.
It's perfectly fine in a video game where you can mash 'sim season' and 'auto generate lines' and the game is set to have your players progress in a linear fashion

effen

Feb 3, 2018
You’re too much about giving “seniority”. I’m not about about the good old boys club. We want to develop our players. It’s about the big club not the AHL championship, even though he would have helped with the W tonight.
Good ol' boy, Phil Di Giuseppe
how old is this fat cat collecting checks *checks notes* 26 years old
member of the organization for 30 yea- *checks notes again* 3 months

country club mentality strikes again

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
my post was more about how awful the KHL is in preparing guys to play nhl hockey. You can’t watch these kids and say oh man they’re going to be stars. We don’t know that Kravtsov will be better than these guys judging by his KHL play.
Well that's obviously where the scouting comes in. Do you think we drafted Kravtsov because of his KHL performance, or because of his skills and IQ? I'm sure this whole "The KHL is different than the NHL" concept is not something lost on the scouts and front office. I'm sure they're aware and build their profiles and evaluations accordingly.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

KHL plays a different style than NA pro hockey. That said, specifically Kravtsov was on a really bad KHL team last season where he was leaned on to provide much of the offense. The downside of that seem to have been developing a few bad habits that have to be untaught. Namely, breaking out of the O-zone early and expecting to get the puck. Cheating. In addition, KHL hockey has less hitting. And it's clear that Kravtsov will need to get more used to the board work in NA.

By comparison, Wahlstrom has developed more physical aspects of this game. He's still learning that and from time to time takes bad penalties and puts himself out of position. But he's a more firm player right now. VK is a bit wirey still. And his game is more perimeter in general. But he's a smart player. He's already figuring it out in the AHL after a slow first weekend. VK has incredible vision and creativity and thinks the game very fast. The big thing is, at 19, he still needs time to fill out and handle the rigors of the NA style. He'll get there though. We need to be patient though.

A

Reactions: lucky13

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
if Day does not play in the AHL, Rangers should find room too. Keane as a 1st year pro should be playing in the AHL as well
They should play in the AHL if they're ready to. Day wasn't ready last season and went to the ECHL and it evidently really helped him. I suspect he's ready to take regular shifts in the AHL. Keane? Who knows? Who is to say he's not a guy who needs time in the ECHL? I know he popped in a couple goals to this point, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to play there regularly.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If anything this proves my point. These kids are prepared and look very good right away. Wahlstrom looks great today in 7 mins of ice so far. Multiple opportunities.

Kravtsov is struggling to even play Ahl hockey right now. It’s really a disappointment

This is not a sprint. Last year Kravtsov was ahead playing well in the KHL while Wahldstrom struggled in college. Now W had a few good showing in a limited protected time in the NHL. Means absolutely nothing even in as short of a frame as one season, let alone overall development and career.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is not a sprint. Last year Kravtsov was ahead playing well in the KHL while Wahldstrom struggled in college. Now W had a few good showing in a limited protected time in the NHL. Means absolutely nothing even in as short of a frame as one season, let alone overall development and career.

Wahlstrom is 1+2 during 4 games for Bridgeport. I've seen him play one of them, looked like crap besides 2-3 plays.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Well that's obviously where the scouting comes in. Do you think we drafted Kravtsov because of his KHL performance, or because of his skills and IQ? I'm sure this whole "The KHL is different than the NHL" concept is not something lost on the scouts and front office. I'm sure they're aware and build their profiles and evaluations accordingly.

Or were his skills and IQ developed because in Russia they put more emphasis on these qualities as opposed to learning to play within a system, away from the puck, back/forecheck because the later can be learned.... hmm, later?

Different approaches and to be sure I'm not here advocating for one or the other.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I don't understand what the concern is here.

Are people worried that Kravtsov is going to give up on his NHL dream, because the organization tells him he has to play and train harder?

Why would you not want him to play and train harder?

This thread has gotten ludicrous.
his development has been ruined by not being in the shootout once

getting treated like this is probably gonna make him give up and get a career as a Chopt Salad Artist

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The concern is many of the pundits ourselves included had this kid as a possible Potential Calder trophy rookie to watch this season with a pro background coming out of the KHL and all of a sudden he can barely hold a lineup spot in the A. That’s a serious concern.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The concern is many of the pundits ourselves included had this kid as a possible Potential Calder trophy rookie to watch this season with a pro background coming out of the KHL and all of a sudden he can barely hold a lineup spot in the A. That’s a serious concern.

by 'many of the pundits ourselves' are you referring to people on this board? cause if you consider that proof of anything i find that concerning lol

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

He shouldn't of been considered a lock for the lineup to start with, but I digress.

He has the most pure skill of any skater in Hartford. He will have a firm grip on a roster spot in Hartford as soon as he gets his effort up to snuff. But for the time being, if his effort isn't up to snuff, then I would much rather that he get taught early in his North American career that that is not acceptable, regardless of the stage.

We had it happen with a handful of guys in the NHL last year, and we've been hollering as a fanbase for years to have Hartford become more an extension of the Rangers than a separate body. Well this is it; Quinn's tough love is now organizational.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't understand what the concern is here.

Are people worried that Kravtsov is going to give up on his NHL dream, because the organization tells him he has to play and train harder?

Why would you not want him to play and train harder?

This thread has gotten ludicrous.

My concern (won’t speak for everyone) is that he is being forced to focus on not making mistakes vs pushing the play offensively and trying to translate his skills to a smaller ice sheet. I don’t want VK benched because he tries a toe drag in the offensive zone and coughs up the puck, neutering that instinct through fear and repetition and drilling him to chip the puck in deep or tuck it into his feet along the boards instead.

As I have said, I don’t even know what the exact situation is and am projecting. But that is my fear. VK needs to push the offense to be a successful draft pick.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
My concern (won’t speak for everyone) is that he is being forced to focus on not making mistakes vs pushing the play offensively and trying to translate his skills to a smaller ice sheet. I don’t want VK benched because he tries a toe drag in the offensive zone and coughs up the puck, neutering that instinct through fear and repetition and drilling him to chip the puck in deep or tuck it into his feet along the boards instead.

As I have said, I don’t even know what the exact situation is and am projecting. But that is my fear. VK needs to push the offense to be a successful draft pick.

This concern is legit.

If we got word that he was being benched this early for trying to be "too cute" with the puck or trying to thread too many passes, I definitely wouldn't be okay with that. Skilled guys need to figure out their boundaries at each level just as much as grinders do.

As of now though, it sounds as if it is more effort and attitude related. Hopefully it's just a matter of him improving those two things, and he'll be placed in a position to succeed again.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Nobody is saying to do that. You can still do things to try and give players confidence without ruining leadership, stability and structure. Everything isn't always black/white.

The Rangers have been putting everything into acquiring young players and prospect development. They are building a stable winning environment in the AHL ... to develop prospects. You are talking as if Kravtsov is an afterthought. I don’t know if it’s attitude, physical development, or learning the ‘right’ way to play, but I guarantee you that Kravtsov’s development is seen as vitally important to this organization. They have invested a lot in this kid. If they are working him in slowly, then I’m hardly slamming the panic button at this point. I think this is a lot more that many of us had him meeting big expectations on day 1.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

It is late in the year or when he turn 24... not after 3 AHL games in a new country playing a different system on a different sized rink.

Sure, we all had a dream of he and Kakko having a Mantle/Maris style competition for Calder but nothing wrong with him needing some development.

Reactions: lucky13

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i believe with young players you develop the stuff they do well and make them do that very well. you focus on the stuff they need to work on as well but accentuate the positive and improve the negative.

if a kid is a natural offensive player, you focus on what he brings and develop that. that stuff can't be taught. size, speed, hands, instinct, intuitiveness, creativity, IQ. it can be developed further and improved but you either have it or you dont. if you do, let the kid play. let him play his game but within the boundaries of a team system

everyone can learn to back check and play defense.

if its an attitude thing then thats completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad