Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Hartford looks like a very different team to last year. Would need to see how it looks after inevitable departures of Chytil and possibly Kravtsov, but so far so good.

Reactions: bl02

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
People need to chill about Kravtsov. This weekend, he's played decently. Getting better every shift. The issue is, he's playing with Boo and Beleskey. He's playing with two hard hats who really don't process the game all that fast. And the whole line in general has been weak with puck support. Kravtsov might look like he's not trying but he's reading the game differently than his linemates. Some of this is good -- in other words, he's using his creativity. Some of this is not so good -- he needs to learn to pick his spots re: creativity. But to be clear, Chytil, who is playing great down here, is also playing with two of the fastest most creative vets on the team. O'Regan and Phil D. As a result, he's finding space, he's getting the puck in space. He's able to flash his skills. + Chytil is at center. He has more latitude to go and get the puck and get involved in the play. Kravtsov, by nature of playing the wing, needs someone to get him the puck in space. 90% of the time he's getting the puck at the half-wall in the D zone and his job is just chip it out. He could be chipping the puck to a teammate, but again, Beleskey and Boo are not supporting the puck enough in those situations. And so, Kravtsov's safest, smartest play is to chip it out and give up possession. So, it's harder for him to showcase his skill. By the nature of his position and his linemates, his opportunities to impact the game with his skill are limited. He's got to make the most of it when he can. Of course, if he was a less-creative N/S player, then he might mesh better with his slow processing linemates. But honestly, he's been much better than B&B at supporting the puck this weekend.

Onto other players. Sean Day, when he keeps it simple, is pretty effective out there. His skating and size or just so good. I think he could carve out a career as a 6/7. Geertsen is just a bull out there. If he can refine his game and keep things simple, he's got a shot at carving out a career as 6/7 as well - but unlike Day, he is way more physical and has a real edge. Really like his game.

Nick Jones is a pretty decent player. He could have a real shot down the road.

Overall, the pack looks pretty decent. Having a bunch of vets on this squad was the right move. This is a much better structure to develop the kids.

Huska looks good.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Rochester gets one back 1:2. Pack started the third pretty good, let's see how they react to this. Last year's team would fold like a cheap suit right about now...

Ebert takes a penalty right after the goal. Americans with a chance to tie it..

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
They’re stacked right now.

good to hear Kravtsov is playing better. I mean he’s playing with 2 capable NHL players right now so he’s got no excuses.

he could learn a lot from Chytil who’s not much older and played 75 nhl games last year but is also in the minors. Chytil went down there put up 2 goals and 3 assists in 4 games. He should be up shortly.

Reactions: lucky13

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
quick note on chytil...while its nice to see him scoring, he was sent down to learn to play center away from the puck. so 4 points in 2 games is great but that doesn't mean we are gonna see him called up this week

Reactions: leetch99

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No. Nor in the shootout. Very frustrating. Kravtsov played well. Should have been given a shot in the shootout at the least. I get wanting a player to earn it. But OT and shootout is a SKILLS competition. Kravtsov is by far the most skilled player on that roster. Just annoying.
Thanks appreciate it.
Totally agree.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Might have to start watching some Pack games. I wish there was some actual good coverage of what is going on with Kravtsov.

If he is getting benched and low minutes (can't find TOI stats anywhere?) because he is actually sulking and pouting - I get it. If that is happening because he isn't spending all of his time trying to prevent mistakes and focus on developing the NA grinding side of the game - I strongly disagree with that move by the coaching staff and organization. #1 priority by a mile should be translating his offensive game to a smaller ice sheet w/less time & space. Far ahead of his play without the puck, Hartford winning, or the feelings of the 25 year old journeymen down there.

But a lot of that is me projecting and reading between the lines. I could be way off, just don't have much to go off of unfortunately.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I am quickly losing my patience with this new Hartford staff that is playing veterans to win more than anything else.

Joey Keane was a scratch today. Why? Why would he sit instead of a raddysh or loverde?

kravtsov not playing in OT or used in the shootout so you can run all veterans out there is not what we hired this guy to do.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I wonder how well he would perform at like the Allsvenskan lvl. I think teams are hesitant to acquire these type of guys, but they are seriously under scouted.

We get — from my POV a bit childish — debates on which leagues are the best etc. Facts are that the league’s and game are very different. Some ECHL players can be impact guys in the SHL and some good NHLers can’t even cut it in Allsvenskan. That are facts.

One very big difference is that in Europe you must be a good big ice skater while in NA you must be quicker with the starts and stops, have the intensity.

Ronning would kill it in the Allsvenskan and a club like AIK have enough money to give him a bump up on what he gets on an ELC.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am quickly losing my patience with this new Hartford staff that is playing veterans to win more than anything else.

Joey Keane was a scratch today. Why? Why would he sit instead of a raddysh or loverde?

kravtsov not playing in OT or used in the shootout so you can run all veterans out there is not what we hired this guy to do.
There's a lot of guys down there, veteran and young. It's a balancing act. Sometimes young guys will sit and watch, other times it will be the vets. JD was very clear that he wanted to instill a winning culture and environment down there, and part of that is relying more on veteran leadership like so many of the other successful AHL franchises.

I have no problem with them playing to win games, particularly early in the season. Get off to a good start and build the foundation for the rest of the season. And if Kravtsov wants to be more involved then he needs to consistently play better.

The Keane thing is much ado about nothing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

LoVerde was brought in to steady the defense. Last couple/three years Hartford D would go into panic mode multiple times almost every game which happens when your D is stacked with rookie and second year pros and ECHL level bottom pairing players. LoVerde is a proven AHL player and steady defensemen. Ryan Lindgren is probably there too. They are the Wolfpack's solid dependable guys and I expect that they are going to be in the lineup every night at least unless Lindgren gets recalled. If Rykov gets playing he may be another. Keane is kind of a kid still--I like him more than Raddysh though. From what I've seen so far of Keane since Traverse and on is he needs to get stronger on the puck and steadier in his end zone. He should do that as he gets a little older. He has good but not great offensive potential. Kids develop better on winning teams.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Maybe I'm jumping the gun (No one really knows how serious this is) but If i'm JD and JG I'm having a sit down with this kid. We can not...I Mean we can not afford to have this kid go off the tracks. We are already starting to under utilize our 7th overall pick from the previous year. We need this kid to eventually make a top 6 forward impact

The GM and President of a club don't (and shouldn't) get involved in on-ice player problems unless the coaching staff can't get through to a player.

It's one week into the season--developing prospects is a process. Kravtsov is just beginning his NA professional career, there is nothing out of the ordinary going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad