Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
i believe with young players you develop the stuff they do well and make them do that very well. you focus on the stuff they need to work on as well but accentuate the positive and improve the negative.

if a kid is a natural offensive player, you focus on what he brings and develop that. that stuff can't be taught. size, speed, hands, instinct, intuitiveness, creativity, IQ. it can be developed further and improved but you either have it or you dont. if you do, let the kid play. let him play his game but within the boundaries of a team system

everyone can learn to back check and play defense.

if its an attitude thing then thats completely different.

To be fair, most defensive deficiencies are from a lack of effort or lack of willingness.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
i believe with young players you develop the stuff they do well and make them do that very well. you focus on the stuff they need to work on as well but accentuate the positive and improve the negative.

if a kid is a natural offensive player, you focus on what he brings and develop that. that stuff can't be taught. size, speed, hands, instinct, intuitiveness, creativity, IQ. it can be developed further and improved but you either have it or you dont. if you do, let the kid play. let him play his game but within the boundaries of a team system

everyone can learn to back check and play defense

if its an attitude thing then thats completely different.
If not now, then when?

Reactions: Barnaby

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
K Andre is playing college hockey. Not pro hockey. There’s a difference. Actually he should play a year in the A.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
K Andre is playing college hockey. Not pro hockey. There’s a difference. Actually he should play a year in the A.

We'll see how he progresses this year. But his firmness and awareness in the D zone needs to grow substantially before he turns pro. I would strongly consider leaving him at Wisconsin if he his play in his own zone doesn't mature quite a bit. With him, we will need to be really patient. He will be figuring out how to play D and use his body around the net for several years. I would like him to just shut down other teams when he's on the ice before we're moving him to the next level.

Reactions: lucky13

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
We'll see how he progresses this year. But his firmness and awareness in the D zone needs to grow substantially before he turns pro. I would strongly consider leaving him at Wisconsin if he his play in his own zone doesn't mature quite a bit. With him, we will need to be really patient. He will be figuring out how to play D and use his body around the net for several years. I would like him to just shut down other teams when he's on the ice before we're moving him to the next level.

Prepare for people to look at his stats and be pissed when they find out he’s not ready.

From my viewings he has a loooong way to go. His progress is great, and he’s a blue chip prospect, but he’s far from NHL ready at this point.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That arena is empty.... :eek:

Yeah, and the entire upper section of the arena is closed so the ppl showing in the lower section are the only ones there. I would be on that the real number is around 500 people there and that is generous. Has been like that for years. Of those 500, many look pretty lost.

If they could find an arena to move to that would house 600-700 ppl of which like 50% would be hockey fans -- it would be pretty awsome and a biiiig upgrade over Hartford.

Reactions: egelband

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Yeah, and the entire upper section of the arena is closed so the ppl showing in the lower section are the only ones there. I would be on that the real number is around 500 people there and that is generous. Has been like that for years. Of those 500, many look pretty lost.

If they could find an arena to move to that would house 600-700 ppl of which like 50% would be hockey fans -- it would be pretty awsome and a biiiig upgrade over Hartford.

Ronkonkoma Vision Project Developers Receive Extension - Arena Digest

A train ride away from MSG... and actually in NY.

iggyDDS

Nov 15, 2005
Brooklyn

Maybe they can move it to Brooklyn... hell, I'd go to some games...

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Maine places forward, Greg Chase, and defenseman, Josh Couturier, on injured reserve and adds to the active roster defenseman, Jeff Taylor, who was sent down by Hartford and Ty Ronning from the reserve list. While Ronning is eligible to play being on the 21 one man active list Maine will have to scratch two players to reach the 19 man playing list. Dmowski was one of the scratches in Maine's first game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Barzal is the reason they picked this awful player. Gropp has an NHL shot. yea right. that was smoke by the Rangers scouts. awful pick. i would not resign him this summer. waste of trash

Not a great pick for sure but when we're getting into the middle of the 2nd round there really aren't guarantees. There are 18 year olds who plateau and don't get better--guys like Iverson or McColgan would be examples.

.....and yeah I wouldn't re-sign him either.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not a great pick for sure but when we're getting into the middle of the 2nd round there really aren't guarantees. There are 18 year olds who plateau and don't get better--guys like Iverson or McColgan would be examples.

.....and yeah I wouldn't re-sign him either.

even a 22 minor leaguer would have been a better choice than selecting Gropp with the pick for Carl Hagelin.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
he was picked because the Rangers scouts thought Gropp was carrying Barzal. Rangers still need to improve their scouting in my opinion
This is the first time I’ve heard that take. And they hired a new WHL scout last year and picked Matthew Robertson in the 2nd, seems like they’ve already taken steps towards better scouting

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Barzal is the reason they picked this awful player. Gropp has an NHL shot. yea right. that was smoke by the Rangers scouts. awful pick. i would not resign him this summer. waste of trash
He absolutely has an NHL shot. Did you watch him in Hartford? The shot is legit. He just doesn't have the presence to find open space like he did in the WHL, and in turn can't get that shot off from any high-percentage places.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He absolutely has an NHL shot. Did you watch him in Hartford? The shot is legit. He just doesn't have the presence to find open space like he did in the WHL, and in turn can't get that shot off from any high-percentage places.
This is a huge reason I’m so wary on prospects who’s calling card is their shot

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think the Rangers saw a 6'3'' guy with a goal scoring knack--thought he'd fill out more than he did and continue to be a goal scorer after he turned pro. His numbers in the WHL after his draft year didn't improve significantly---nor the rest of his game. He's a decent--not a great skater and despite his size he hasn't really filled out that much and is not really a physical player. IMO he's a become a decent AHL player which is a disappointing result.....but it happens---look at Zach Senyshyn--look at Kieffer Bellows.

Guys like Bellows, Wahlstrom, Tippett--mainly specializing at lower levels as big deal goal scorers in any given draft year often come up short because they have nothing else to fall back on.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can't believe the 6th best player from the 2015 draft is ECHL bound
Do you believe Gordie on that one? Or do you think he was just blowing smoke? I don't always agree with his draft approach, but to actually have Gropp sixth would just be an otherworldly misjudgement. That's not to say he definitely wasn't being genuine. Just seems crazy to me. Like you can point to McIlrath and I could at least understand the logic, the projection. Gropp was never that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad