Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
They’re stacked right now.

good to hear Kravtsov is playing better. I mean he’s playing with 2 capable NHL players right now so he’s got no excuses.

he could learn a lot from Chytil who’s not much older and played 75 nhl games last year but is also in the minors. Chytil went down there put up 2 goals and 3 assists in 4 games. He should be up shortly.

If Kravtsov is playing with capable NHL players then why are they in the AHL?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That just horrible player management by the coaching staff. Embarrassing frankly
Oh come on. Kravtsov has been a total non-factor thus far. Earn your opportunities. The best thing for all the other kids down there is to be in a winning environment and learn how to do that regularly. He went with Chytil, Lettieri, and a vet. It's not like he rolled out a bunch of 35-year olds.

This is getting like last year when Quinn was being a big meanie and ruining DeAngelo, and then DeAngelo gets his shit together and plays the best hockey of his career. Or how Buch was being punished unfairly and then he gets it together and plays like gangbusters. Quinn knows how to get the most out of his young guys, I think Knoblouch does as well.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Re the coaching staff, it’s still early and I can’t fault them for rotating the roster. Like when Kravy sat one game Meskanen came in, and Gropp didn’t even get one game. He is a vet down there.

Nothing wrong with letting things have it’s due process.

But it’s also up to them to get results out of the development of these kids. If things go south there — it’s on them. But hard to call that either way a week into the season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
No. Nor in the shootout. Very frustrating. Kravtsov played well. Should have been given a shot in the shootout at the least. I get wanting a player to earn it. But OT and shootout is a SKILLS competition. Kravtsov is by far the most skilled player on that roster. Just annoying.

The AHL is a developmental league, winning is not the only thing that's important.

Let the coaching staff do their job.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's funny because Kravtsov was considered generally a lock for the opening night roster. Then it became clear he wasn't ready. So he goes to Hartford. Plays...not great. Is he unwilling? Unhappy? Who knows. Play is not up to snuff. Then he doesn't get an opportunity as one of the first three shooters and people act like it's professional malpractice from the coach. Get f***ing real. It's so incredibly early and guys are gonna sit sometimes, sometimes they'll get less of an opportunity that we'd want in ideal circumstances, and other times it will be the opposite. Some of the reactions here are ridiculous.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's funny because Kravtsov was considered generally a lock for the opening night roster. Then it became clear he wasn't ready. So he goes to Hartford. Plays...not great. Is he unwilling? Unhappy? Who knows. Play is not up to snuff. Then he doesn't get an opportunity as one of the first three shooters and people act like it's professional malpractice from the coach. Get ****ing real. It's so incredibly early and guys are gonna sit sometimes, sometimes they'll get less of an opportunity that we'd want in ideal circumstances, and other times it will be the opposite. Some of the reactions here are ridiculous.
No dude. You don't get it. He was a superstar stud in the KHL and he is REQUIRED to play the biggest roles and everything right off the bat.

How DARE you think that overreacting is the wrong course of action here. How. Dare. You.

;)

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No dude. You don't get it. He was a superstar stud in the KHL and he is REQUIRED to play the biggest roles and everything right off the bat.

How DARE you think that overreacting is the wrong course of action here. How. Dare. You.

;)
Sorry, sometimes I forget this. Shame on me. :laugh:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh come on. Kravtsov has been a total non-factor thus far. Earn your opportunities. The best thing for all the other kids down there is to be in a winning environment and learn how to do that regularly. He went with Chytil, Lettieri, and a vet. It's not like he rolled out a bunch of 35-year olds.

This is getting like last year when Quinn was being a big meanie and ruining DeAngelo, and then DeAngelo gets his **** together and plays the best hockey of his career. Or how Buch was being punished unfairly and then he gets it together and plays like gangbusters. Quinn knows how to get the most out of his young guys, I think Knoblouch does as well.
Well they lost in the SO. So yea, i’m going to blame the coaching staff for not using a player who is money in the SO. Sorry but not sorry.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
AHL is also more than a 'development league'. It's an actual pro league with a good share of players who are there trying to make a living playing the sport they love and have no NHL future. Coaches too, in some cases.

It's not just about 'development' down in the AHL, nor should it be just about 'development'.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What has Kravtsov done to show he deserves to participate in the shootout?

It's not about "earning it". The shootout, you go with your best options. For the shootout, Kravtsov is one of your best options.

The Rangers always had Zuccarello in the shootout, even when he had a bad game. Why? Because he was your best option

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It’s looking more and more like maybe we shouldn’t have gone off the board with that pick and just taken Wahlstrom like everyone expected. He’s off to a nice start this season and there’s talk about him coming up to replace the injured Eberle.
Yeah, I mean, he's down in the AHL being a "whiny brat" yet the coach should be drawn and quartered for not using him in OT and the SO. Seems like we should have gone with the safer, non-whiny-brat, not-weak-and-sulking guy, am I right? Lower maintenance for sure.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm criticising his effort. Or lack thereof. That has nothing to do with talent or skill.

SBS - i usually appreciate your contributions.
But this comment was not about effort, or talent. Just purely subjective click-bait:"..... He looked like a whiny brat out there on the ice. He better change because it's not a good look"

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
It's unclear to me how many of you on here with super strong opinions in the past 3 hours actually watched any of the pack games this year. I've watched both of the last two games. And have seen Kravtsov get better and better this weekend.

He was not a disappointment today. He has steadily become more engaged. If anything, he's playing with guys who process the offensive side of the game much slower and it's going to effect his ability to get on the score sheet. Beleskey and Boo are like 3 seconds behind AK and it is forcing him to simplify his game -- which I think is the point. But it will absolutely tamp down his point production in the near future.

That said. Kravy's assist on the second goal was the main reason there was a goal at all. He knew where he was going with the puck before he got it and made a touch pass to spring Nieves in stride. It was the best offensive play of the game. period.

As far as the rest of his game, it was mostly solid. His line was even put out there with 3 minutes left in the game when they were still protecting a 1-goal lead. If you're willing to trust him and throw him out there in crunch time like that, then why not give him a shot in OT or in the shootout?

That's the question the coaching staff needs to answer.

It was a judgment call. And in watching the entirety of the game, I don't think it was the right choice. But they didn't do it because he wasn't responsible with the rest of his game. They likely did it as a way to reward other players. I just didn't agree with it.

If anything, I think putting VK in a position to grow his confidence would have been a better choice - at least in the shootout.

Again, he played well. He played engage. He had an assist. Yes, his line was on for a goal against, but that goal was not VKs fault nor his responsibility.

Finally, there was a short portion of the game that was played a considerably faster pace. It was that stretch that Fil and Vitaly really shined.

They're both going to be in the NHL. They have the talent to impact games at the next level but we'll see how it all pans out.

Reactions: Cag29 and kovazub94

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
There are too many people on this board who think that veteran leadership is unnecessary on both the NHL and AHL level. Excommunicate Staal, bury Smith in Hartford, trade Fast, Strome and Kreider and so on. Too many veterans in a Hartford. And so on.

It’s not how building a (very) young team and nurturing youth works.

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
There are too many people on this board who think that veteran leadership is unnecessary on both the NHL and AHL level. Excommunicate Staal, bury Smith in Hartford, trade a Fast, Strome and Kreider and so on. Too many veterans in a Hartford. And so on.

It’s not how building a (very) young team and nurturing youth works.

I agree. But of course, it's a balancing act. Players like Strome, Staal and Fast are great in how they can help the kids learn to be pros, help with team structure on and off ice. But the trick is to make sure you're gradually replacing them with the younger talent on the team as it matures. At a certain point, the "leadership" part needs to find it's right place in regards to on ice responsibility and ice time. I don't think we're in danger of that being an issue early in the season here. Or really for most of this season. But what we do want to see is that the kids who deserve it, slowly get more ice time and larger roles. There's really no point in over-relying on the vets. But if we're using Smith to spell Hajek for a few games here and there because Hajek starts fighting it, then that's ideal. But having Hajek sit for an extended period -- not great. (he can also go to HWP). Point is, it's a balance. People are definitely far too quick to get annoyed at vets. They are incredibly valuable support players on a young team like this.

Reactions: egelband and bobbop

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You're too much, man. :laugh:
You’re too much about giving “seniority”. I’m not about about the good old boys club. We want to develop our players. It’s about the big club not the AHL championship, even though he would have helped with the W tonight.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I am in no way suggesting that this is all he is. My point is that he can be so much more.

Then why bring it up? The possibility of Kravtsov playing out his career outside of the NHL is so far remote at this point which by definition makes it a “hot take”. I guess I’m just trying to say that if you genuinely wanted to simply say “that he’s so much more” there are better ways. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad