OT - NO POLITICS Happy Holidays and the end of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
That explosion is causing communication issues across middle Tennessee. 911 in my county, northeast of Nashville, is disrupted, as well as communication at Nashville airport which is causing flight delays.

The RV was parked not far from the AT&T building (the Batman building).

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
vankeuren_extra1_custom-1840fd717cabf3ef6d3daab6722b602e86d172c2-s300-c85.jpg

The Santa Tracker tradition started with this Sears ad, which instructed children to call Santa on what turned out to be a secret military hotline. Kids today can call 1-877 HI-NORAD (1-877-446-6723) to talk to NORAD staff about Santa's exact location.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
vankeuren_extra1_custom-1840fd717cabf3ef6d3daab6722b602e86d172c2-s300-c85.jpg

The Santa Tracker tradition started with this Sears ad, which instructed children to call Santa on what turned out to be a secret military hotline. Kids today can call 1-877 HI-NORAD (1-877-446-6723) to talk to NORAD staff about Santa's exact location.

Looked at through modern eyes this poster is deeply uncomfortable and almost defies belief. It could never be published today. While on the one hand it's probably sad that we've had to have a loss of innocence around how we interact with children, on the other it's certainly much better that we're more aware of the dangers they face and how to mitigate them.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Water seemed to have stopped at mom's before I left which is good. Her pump should be able to handle it. It wouldn't be Christmas without something going a bit sideways

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Starting next year, a visit from the cable guy will cost you more. Comcast Corp. has raised its charges for house calls.

The giant cable company, which serves 1.9 million users in Greater Boston, New Hampshire and Maine, will charge $100 to install cable service, effective Jan. 1. That’s up from a current price of $79. In addition, Comcast will charge $70 for in-house service calls, up from $40.

In an e-mailed statement, the company said that “rising programming costs — most notably for broadcast TV and sports — continue to be the biggest factors driving price increases for all content distributors and their customers, not just Comcast.”

A spokesman added that the majority of new Comcast subscribers install the cable equipment themselves and therefore don’t pay for installation. In addition, the company doesn’t charge for in-house service calls to repair defective equipment. But a customer would be charged for a visit to install additional features — for instance, adding a new cable jack to a bedroom.

Comcast will charge more for house calls - The Boston Globe

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Forget the suddenly mediocre football team in Foxborough. Or the latest failed bid for the White House by a Massachusetts pol.
The region has quietly suffered an even bigger dent to its standing. For the first time in decades, if not all of US history, Greater Boston has lost its perch among the top 10 largest US metro areas. Knocked aside by the booming Phoenix metro area.

So much for Hub of the Universe.

According to US Census Bureau data released earlier this year, Boston was the 11th largest metro area in 2019 with nearly 4.9 million people living in a region that includes five counties in Eastern Massachusetts and a swath of southeastern New Hampshire. Boston had been the 10th largest metro area in recent years.

While the region’s population has grown by 7 percent since 2010, it hasn’t kept pace with hotter metro areas, like Phoenix, which grew by 18 percent during the same period.

upload_2020-12-25_21-12-0.png

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Very lucky here- high winds all night (no sleep for me & Patrice), lots of rain but that's all. Some areas in CT were hit much harder, many people w/o power.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This has been a long day, for several reasons. And my brother just messaged me and said the wifi is out at their hotel because of the bombing.

I am zonked.

So I am now cuddled up on the couch with my big squishy blanket, watching hockey.

And the Russians just scored again. :mad:

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Holy cow. They were announcing evacuations before the explosion.

Edit: The announcement was coming from the RV that had the bomb in it. o_O This gives me chills.

Amazing that no one was killed.

Man, I'd read about this footage but hadn't seen it yet. Very creepy.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Holy cow. They were announcing evacuations before the explosion.

Edit: The announcement was coming from the RV that had the bomb in it. o_O This gives me chills.

Amazing that no one was killed.

At first blush, I'd say it was intentional that no-one was killed, thankfully. The timing of the explosion in conjunction with the warning message the RV was playing would suggest a deliberate attempt to reduce the chances of someone being badly injured by the blast. Perhaps someone had it in for AT&T and the primary purpose was property damage.

Last edited:

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Randomly popped up on my YT

one of my favorite scenes in any sort of film in a long time. 2 dying friends consoling each other during one of their final conversations

A nearly perfect show. The companion podcast is also top notch.

Visiting Pripyat was probably my coolest travel experience ever. Ironic, considering it was during a brutal heat wave and we had to wear long sleeve shirts and pants.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
At first blush, I'd say it was intentional that no-one was killed, thankfully. The timing of the explosion in conjunction with the warning message the RV was playing would suggest a deliberate attempt to reduce the chances of someone being badly injured by the blast. Perhaps someone had it in for AT&T and the primary purpose was property damage.
Well, they definitely did communications damage. It affected flights out of BNA, caused 911 disruptions and cellular and wifi outages. Was this a test run in a "smaller market" to see what could be accomplished before making similar attempts in other cities? I hope not. But I can't help but wonder.

I'm not convinced they were trying to reduce the number of injuries though. Maybe they were trying to draw people out, including first responders. I've heard reports that it encouraged people to evacuate and then started a countdown, but in that video there was no countdown before the explosion. (And I'm going to trust the word of someone who claims to have made a bomb, and then proves it? "Oh okay, the voice said we have ten minu-----"*boom*)

Then again, they did pick a time when not a lot of people would be around. Who knows. But you don't make a bomb capable of the damage this caused without realizing that you are likely to kill someone. Tonight they said they found tissue likely to be human remains. If so, was it the bomber, or a bystander?

So much unknown right now.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well, they definitely did communications damage. It affected flights out of BNA, caused 911 disruptions and cellular and wifi outages. Was this a test run in a "smaller market" to see what could be accomplished before making similar attempts in other cities? I hope not. But I can't help but wonder.

I'm not convinced they were trying to reduce the number of injuries though. Maybe they were trying to draw people out, including first responders. I've heard reports that it encouraged people to evacuate and then started a countdown, but in that video there was no countdown before the explosion. (And I'm going to trust the word of someone who claims to have made a bomb, and then proves it? "Oh okay, the voice said we have ten minu-----"*boom*)

Then again, they did pick a time when not a lot of people would be around. Who knows. But you don't make a bomb capable of the damage this caused without realizing that you are likely to kill someone. Tonight they said they found tissue likely to be human remains. If so, was it the bomber, or a bystander?

So much unknown right now.

You may be right. Just a very odd event, even in this modern world and with all the terrible things we've seen in recent times. Have to wait and see what further can be determined about it I suppose. As you alluded to, hopefully it is at least just an isolated act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad