Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I'd love to say "If this is the precedent, then fine" but that's clearly never going to be the case. Rome missed the Cup finals on a late hit. I believe he never had a suspension history.

Keith misses 5 games on a deliberate, no puck in the area cheap shot with an elbow to the head causing a star player to miss the remainder of the reg season and first 3 games of the playoffs.

Hansen getting 1 game would have been fine if they had created a precedent where any headshot resulting in injury is an auto suspension. The fact that guys like Setoguchi didnt get suspended or even Giordano with his slough foot is the joke that is the NHL.

Also embarassing to see the crusading by "journalists" that have an axe to grind.

Either way, like I said. The Blackhawks and their double standards can go to hell.

The Keith thing was an embarrassment, it was to little taken the circumstances.

In the Hansen thin I am ok with one game. NHL actually have to deal something on that play, otherwise the double standard card will come up in a similar situation but with less forgiving circumstances (e.g. blatantly headhunting or no puck). Now they can say that this situation wasn't ok either when they fine a similar but more severe one.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Chara on Pacioretty was deemed reckless... no history of suspensions therefore no suspension. :huh:

Stoll on Fowler earlier this season... reckless play but no suspension. :huh:

Hansen accidental elbow on Hossa... deemed 'reckless' - and that's stretching it - and also no history of suspensions. Yet he gets suspended. :huh:

:help:

There is no rhyme or reason... It would be disconcerning if this was some sort of precident... But it's not... It's just the luck of the draw... It's just what the tide brought today... If it was a different day or time Shanahan was reviewing the play, the result would be different... More of a suspension, or no suspension... Hansen got 1-game, because Hansen got 1-game... and I think that's the only explanation that makes sense... Hansen received a 1-game suspension, because he did... Put the same play in a different game, at a different time, with different characters, and the punishment result would be different... Have Shanahan review the play a different day or time, and the result would be different...

Hansen received a 1-game suspension, just because that's what he got... Keith received a 5-game suspension, just because that's what he got... Every player gets the suspension they get (or don't get), just because that's what they got... It doesn't even mean anything... As a player, make a play... and if you are unlucky and get a call from the league, that's what you do or that's what you get... In a way, the NHL is like the Hunger Games... Hansen got picked from a bucket full of lottery balls... What can you do?

Last edited:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Brad May said he was shocked there was a suspension. The vibe i'm getting it that a lot of hockey people don't really think that was suspension worthy.

Let's be honest: it's because it's hossa. If it was a sedin that stayed down that long, they'd just say he was diving/embellishing and that is the last we would hear about it.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Let's be honest: it's because it's hossa. If it was a sedin that stayed down that long, they'd just say he was diving/embellishing and that is the last we would hear about it.

naw if that happened, we'd probably hear about how a "sedin sister can't take a little bump to the head" for the rest of the year

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
naw if that happened, we'd probably hear about how a "sedin sister can't take a little bump to the head" for the rest of the year

this is very true. I kinda meant like the last we would hear about it in terms of discipline for the other player (none).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
^ anyone know what the rest of the "experts" have been saying? i think i saw matthew barnaby saying the suspension was pretty much a joke on twitter and i heard that milbury said he didn't think it was suspendable either.

Well you've convinced me it was a suspension worthy event simply because anything Milbury say is wrong.

One thing I find odd is they seems to have had the suspension video done before talking to Hansen, based on how quickly it came out.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I think this is fair. One game is nothing to Hansen or the Canucks so I don't know how people even have enough energy to get angry about this. And based on the video posted by the NHL I can see how it was questionable. Really nothing to get worked up about.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Here's what we're going to do the next time we play the Hawks. We're going to sign the Lindros brothers and Pat Lafontaine to one day contracts and ice them as a complete line. Every time they get on the ice, the only job our D will have is to constantly flip the puck into the air. Hawks will lose half their roster to suspension - revenge complete.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Shanahan & Blackhawks sittin in a tree, K I S S I N G!

Dammit I really hate that team and their fans... EVERYone with a little knowledge in the hockey world(Experts, Journalist, Ex Refs) are confused about this.. But they (Blackhawks) continue to state that Hansen is a dirty cheap player and that all nucks are too.

Oh and we fans, oh my we are the worst.. They are namecalling while showcasing the exact behaviour they are condemning us too..

I hate that team together with Bruins so much, that if a potential friend would tell me he supported them, I would flick him off, just for being just that!

Last edited:

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Shanahan got it right.
There was no intent from Hansen, but you have your forearm flailing around a guy's cranium, that is reckless.
NHL had to give him a game, to maintain their position on protecting players heads.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
didn't think it was suspension worthy but after watching shanahan explain it in the vid i can see how it wasn't a clean hockey play and why hawks fans are pissed. 1 game sounds about right.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Hansen gets a game and this gets a measley fine?

lolwut.jpg

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Hansen gets a game and this gets a measley fine?

No injury on that play and it was Weber, a star player. Only similarity is what happened, although Weber's shove is much more blatant. But the action itself isn't as important, the NHL has proved that multiple times and at least is consistent with it.

As for Hansen:

Was a star player involved, possibly in a big market? Check.
Was there a lesser player involved? Check.
Was there an injury? Check.

Hence the 1 game suspension. Don't mind that really, it's never going to change so why bother complaining about it. At this point I'm happy if the NHL can be consistently inconsistent.

HAMMY5

Jan 22, 2013
Abbotsford BC
Shanahan & Blackhawks sittin in a tree, K I S S I N G!

Dammit I really hate that team and their fans... EVERYone with a little knowledge in the hockey world(Experts, Journalist, Ex Refs) are confused about this.. But they (Blackhawks) continue to state that Hansen is a dirty cheap player and that all nucks are too.

Oh and we fans, oh my we are the worst.. They are namecalling while showcasing the exact behaviour they are condemning us too..

I hate that team together with Bruins so much, that if a potential friend would tell me he supported them, I would flick him off, just for being just that!

:nod: I Agree. I also Dislike Vince Vaughn want to be friends?

Calgary+Flames+v+Chicago+Blackhawks+Game+Two+J1Kr3lBHnEpl.jpg

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hossa is taking part in the Blackhawks practice. Hansen got screwed.

I knew that, as soon as they said he didn't go to the hospital, and he seemed fine!

So Hansen really got screwed, according to Shanahan the incident was followed by an injury, and that had base in the punishment decided..

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I knew that, as soon as they said he didn't go to the hospital, and he seemed fine!

So Hansen really got screwed, according to Shanahan the incident was followed by an injury, and that had base in the punishment decided..

Hansen really did get screwed.

If that was Hossa or any star on a regular player like Hansen, no suspension.

If that was Kesler or any star hitting another star, again no suspension.

The league just has two different set of rules for stars and regulars.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Hossa is at practice? Can't say I'm surprised. It seems like to me the longer a player stays on the ice the worse the suspension. Since injury is such a huge factor in handing out suspensions it's a shame the league makes judgements before it has all the facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad