Sportsnet: Hanifin drawing attention

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Ju
While I agree that the age is better I think Calgary sinks without Lindholm. You need a legitimate 1C and without Lindholm Calgary doesn't have anyone remotely close to filling that role. If Lindholm won't sign this summer Calgary should probably look to do an LA Kings style rebuild where they sell hard for the next 2-3 drafts while still having some big deals on the roster then start the upswing right after that. Everyone talked about the Kings having the best prospect pool in the league the last few years but their best prospects when they started rebuilding were Gabe Vilardi and Rasmus Kupari
Exsctly, the Kings showed how to rebuild around some bad long term contracts.

and Kopitar kept on trucking the whole way.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think the Pens should be very interested in Hanifin. Unfortunately, we do not have a top 6 player that could (Rust) or should (Guentzel or Rakell) be moved for Hanifin.

Best resources they could offer would be some form of these: 14th (2023), POJ, Ty Smith, Owen Pickering, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
My preference would be to sign Hanifin to a Weegar type contract (8 X $6.25M). That may be a bit unrealistic given the current market.

Failing that the Flames would need to maximize his value in a hockey trade returning an equal value forward.

Equating equal or almost equal value is a hard thing when comparing D to top six forwards. Any deal might have to be massaged a bit to iron out perceived differences or for cap reasons.

Hanifin and Vladar for Nylander and the 2023 1st (28 overall).

Cap hits pretty much balance out. Both Hanifin and Nylander have one year remaining and the assumption is both would re-sign with their new teams. Age of each is about equal (Hanifin 26, Nylander 27)

Vladar will be in his 3rd full NHL season and at age 25 has a cheap contract for two more years at 2.2M.

Both fill gaps in Toronto's lineup.

If Toronto prefers to place more value on cap space, then a straight up Hanifin for Nylander deal would give them 2.3M or so of play money.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
assume he is right now…..

he’s a 1 yr left. Not 2 yrs like Provorov. That is a big difference. Columbus can say we have him for a year. He’s not happy or doesn’t click or work they can trade him at the deadline or next years draft and get back some of what they gave up for him.

Hanifin bring a 1 yr to UFA probably only moves after July 1 when teams can have a contract in place.

also , like vancouver, teams know Calgary is up against the cap so I don’t see them getting a fair return in a trade where they need to not take salary back which limits the market to only 4 or so teams.

if you look at some of the teams with the cap space…some of them don’t need Hanifin as a LD. So I don’t see signing him To an extension.

if they do a close to cap neutral trade they can get a better return.
You talk as if hanifin is some overpaid scrub. Some team not having cap space to fit in a minimum number 3 being paid sub 5m is gonna not our problem, plenty of team will be interested in a player like him in hes prime. Calgary being up against the cap doesnt matter when you are trading a quality player, if teams dont want to give up hes worth we can happily keep him. Plenty of other ways to make the cap work while keeping him.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

assume he is right now…..

he’s a 1 yr left. Not 2 yrs like Provorov. That is a big difference. Columbus can say we have him for a year. He’s not happy or doesn’t click or work they can trade him at the deadline or next years draft and get back some of what they gave up for him.

Hanifin bring a 1 yr to UFA probably only moves after July 1 when teams can have a contract in place.

also , like vancouver, teams know Calgary is up against the cap so I don’t see them getting a fair return in a trade where they need to not take salary back which limits the market to only 4 or so teams.

if you look at some of the teams with the cap space…some of them don’t need Hanifin as a LD. So I don’t see signing him To an extension.

if they do a close to cap neutral trade they can get a better return.
This is a thoroughly a pretty horrible take. Calgary is not like 4M over the cap, they are 1.25M under the cap with 19 contracts currently. Promote Duehr and Pelletier and they are ~438k over the cap with 21 roster players. That's literally as simple as trading Vladar, promoting Wolf and adding a 13th forward at 950k or less.

Calgary is not going to trade a ~5M 1st pair caliber defenseman at a discount to save themselves 1.2M-1.5M cap space. Hell, look at Minnesota last year, they had literally zero cap space to sign Fiala so they traded him and got a 1st and a top 50 prospect in the league

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is a thoroughly a pretty horrible take. Calgary is not like 4M over the cap, they are 1.25M under the cap with 19 contracts currently. Promote Duehr and Pelletier and they are ~438k over the cap with 21 roster players. That's literally as simple as trading Vladar, promoting Wolf and adding a 13th forward at 950k or less.

Calgary is not going to trade a ~5M 1st pair caliber defenseman at a discount to save themselves 1.2M-1.5M cap space. Hell, look at Minnesota last year, they had literally zero cap space to sign Fiala so they traded him and got a 1st and a top 50 prospect in the league
19 contracts and $1M in space is pretty much against the cap.

Kings had the space to signFiala.

how many have the space to sign Lindholm or Hanifin and Calgary just gets back youth/ futures….only about 4 teams. One of thrm he got traded from? It’s a supply and demand.

other Center out there is Scheiffle, mathews, Aho, PLD would come ahead of Lindholm in terms of trading fir and signing.

Bond

May 10, 2012

how many have the space to sign Lindholm or Hanifin and Calgary just gets back youth/ futures….only about 4 teams. One of thrm he got traded from? It’s a supply and demand.

other Center out there is Scheiffle, mathews, Aho, PLD would come ahead of Lindholm in terms of trading fir and signing.
Friedman's podcast today says there is a tonne of interest in Hanifin and they'll get a good return if they trade him.
Aho stays in Carolina, Matthew will cost 13 million and Lindholm is better than Scheifele.

Ledge And Dairy

What are you even talking about? Hanifin and Lindholm don't need a new contract this summer and Hanifin's certainly not getting more than a 2M raise. In the summer of 2024 (when Hanifin's contract ends) the team that currently has the least cap space is Montreal with over 19 million cap space and that's ignoring 10M in Price's LTIR contract. Edmonton has the next least with 19.9M space.

You might be the only person in the world eho thinks Scheifele and Dubois are higher priority targets than Lindholm. Absolutely brutal take

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hanifin + Flames 1st for Myers (50% retained) + OEL + Canucks 6th round pick

The Canucks ditching OEL and walking away with a 1st and a solid top 4 d-man is quite the fantasy....oh no wait, didn't see the 6th rounder being there....that really rounds out the trade and evens out the value on both sides.

• Haha
Reactions: Rockmorton

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
My preference would be to sign Hanifin to a Weegar type contract (8 X $6.25M). That may be a bit unrealistic given the current market.

Failing that the Flames would need to maximize his value in a hockey trade returning an equal value forward.

Equating equal or almost equal value is a hard thing when comparing D to top six forwards. Any deal might have to be massaged a bit to iron out perceived differences or for cap reasons.

Hanifin and Vladar for Nylander and the 2023 1st (28 overall).

Cap hits pretty much balance out. Both Hanifin and Nylander have one year remaining and the assumption is both would re-sign with their new teams. Age of each is about equal (Hanifin 26, Nylander 27)

Vladar will be in his 3rd full NHL season and at age 25 has a cheap contract for two more years at 2.2M.

Both fill gaps in Toronto's lineup.

If Toronto prefers to place more value on cap space, then a straight up Hanifin for Nylander deal would give them 2.3M or so of play money.
Nylander + 1st for Noah Hanafin?

Wild Bill scored 40g's this year...

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't know if Vladar is an upgrade on Samsanov, so I am not sure why he would be in the deal. Woll is going to be his tandem partner next year.
Honestly I'd take Vladar at $2m to pair with Woll, instead of the $4-5m Samsonov probably gets.

I wouldn't add a 1st to Nylander for a Hanifin+Vladar package tho.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Agreed. Nylander for Hanifin is a slight win for us. I'd have Vladar at a late 2nd. A 4th with Nylander for Vladar and Hanifin is probably about right.
I'd probably do that as long as Murray's ass can be shipped out somewhere else first.

I'd prefer to move Marner in a higher end F for D trade, but what you've offered is an acceptable deal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. Nylander for Hanifin is a slight win for us. I'd have Vladar at a late 2nd. A 4th with Nylander for Vladar and Hanifin is probably about right.
as a fan of a rival team, I'd have a hard time valuing Vladar as a 2nd round pick. He was decent for awhile when Markstrom couldn't stop a beach ball but yeah. I think he's a pure backup. Streaky as all anything.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
as a fan of a rival team, I'd have a hard time valuing Vladar as a 2nd round pick. He was decent for awhile when Markstrom couldn't stop a beach ball but yeah. I think he's a pure backup. Streaky as all anything.

Vladar is a dependable and above average backup who can move up to a starter for stints when your #1 is down. That seems to be worth a "late 2nd"....maybe you're right and only worth a 3rd? Doesn't really throw off the value of his proposed trade though:

I'd probably do that as long as Murray's ass can be shipped out somewhere else first.

I'd prefer to move Marner in a higher end F for D trade, but what you've offered is an acceptable deal.

If Marner is willing to commit to the Flames I would love him on the Flames. I'm assuming the only Flame that starts to move that needle is Andresson though, which may be a no go.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Vladar is a dependable and above average backup who can move up to a starter for stints when your #1 is down. That seems to be worth a "late 2nd"....maybe you're right and only worth a 3rd? Doesn't really throw off the value of his proposed trade though:
I think Nylander is being underrated a good bit and that Vladar value is more along the lines of a mid pick right now.

Looking into the analytics, Calgary probably should have been better than they were as they underperformed relative to their xG and they allowed the 4th fewest high danger chances against in the NHL, which tells me their defence and systems play was pretty good...but given Markstrom and Vladar's results, either the public stats are missing something in their defensive play, or their goaltending was pretty poor (which is why I wouldn't see much value in Vladar)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
His usage is pretty tough for a goalie. I get you cheer for the Oilers, but think about what it's like to play net for Sutter. You don't see the net for 6 straight weeks and then play 3 games in 4 days. I like Vladar. I think he'll be a good one. You noticed he was decent before Darryl threw out the goalie start plan and just started going with his gut. I do think he'll get a 2nd. He's 6'5" and extremely athletic. He has the tools, just needs a solid start plan and some confidence. If I was a rival team I'd be looking at Vladar as a guy with potential in a tandem (25-30ish games).

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
His usage is pretty tough for a goalie. I get you cheer for the Oilers, but think about what it's like to play net for Sutter. You don't see the net for 6 straight weeks and then play 3 games in 4 days. I like Vladar. I think he'll be a good one. You noticed he was decent before Darryl threw out the goalie start plan and just started going with his gut. I do think he'll get a 2nd. He's 6'5" and extremely athletic. He has the tools, just needs a solid start plan and some confidence. If I was a rival team I'd be looking at Vladar as a guy with potential in a tandem (25-30ish games).
I'm mostly just suspect of both him and Markstrom as I think Calgary's defence is bordering on excellent and Sutter was extremely defensive minded...so it doesn't make sense to me that both goalies' results were so poor on paper. I also get it was a challenging year for a lot of goalies and there's a strong Calgary link in Toronto now, but I'm not sure I'd be that eager to get Vladar into TOR for that price. It's a bit of a goalie wasteland there lately and I think they'd need a more proven option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad