Sportsnet: Hanifin drawing attention

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
While I agree that the age is better I think Calgary sinks without Lindholm. You need a legitimate 1C and without Lindholm Calgary doesn't have anyone remotely close to filling that role. If Lindholm won't sign this summer Calgary should probably look to do an LA Kings style rebuild where they sell hard for the next 2-3 drafts while still having some big deals on the roster then start the upswing right after that. Everyone talked about the Kings having the best prospect pool in the league the last few years but their best prospects when they started rebuilding were Gabe Vilardi and Rasmus Kupari
Your logic is correct. An LA rebuild is exactly what we should be doing. I just think a 70M deal for Lindholm further complicates a rebuild in that style. Hanifin can go through the rebuild. I think Lindholm will be starting to decline on the other side of it.

Reactions: hawksrule

Ledge And Dairy

Your logic is correct. An LA rebuild is exactly what we should be doing. I just think a 70M deal for Lindholm further complicates a rebuild in that style. Hanifin can go through the rebuild. I think Lindholm will be starting to decline on the other side of it.
Well I think Calgary is a much better team then they showed this year. I think they are built very similarly to Dallas and Carolina. I think if Calgary extends Lindholm they should not rebuild and instead look to infuse youth into the lineup the same way both of the aforementioned teams did (Jarvis, Drury, KK for the Canes and Dellandrea, Lundqvist, Harley, Johnston for the Stars).

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well I think Calgary is a much better team then they showed this year. I think they are built very similarly to Dallas and Carolina. I think if Calgary extends Lindholm they should not rebuild and instead look to infuse youth into the lineup the same way both of the aforementioned teams did (Jarvis, Drury, KK for the Canes and Dellandrea, Lundqvist, Harley, Johnston for the Stars).
I'm not sure we have the high end those 2 teams have honestly. I don't see a Robertson or a Hintz here. I guess I can see the Carolina comparison if we take into account their injuries and have us healthy. There's no Aho here, no Svechnikov. We are also old and getting older. While it's likely we will get better seasons from Mangiapane, Huberdeau and a better first 60% of the season from Weegar it's also likely Backlund, Toffoli and Tanev are worse next year.

Ledge And Dairy

I'm not sure we have the high end those 2 teams have honestly. I don't see a Robertson or a Hintz here. I guess I can see the Carolina comparison if we take into account their injuries and have us healthy. There's no Aho here, no Svechnikov. We are also old and getting older. While it's likely we will get better seasons from Mangiapane, Huberdeau and a better first 60% of the season from Weegar it's also likely Backlund, Toffoli and Tanev are worse next year.
Robertson/Svechnikov I agree, but I also think Calgary should heavily consider going after someone like Bratt, DeBrincat, Nylander, Reinhart either this summer or next to fill that role (though Huberdeau should be able to put up at least similar production to them). As for Aho and Hintz, neither of those guys are much better than Lindholm if at all, both are only 2 years younger too.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Robertson/Svechnikov I agree, but I also think Calgary should heavily consider going after someone like Bratt, DeBrincat, Nylander, Reinhart either this summer or next to fill that role (though Huberdeau should be able to put up at least similar production to them). As for Aho and Hintz, neither of those guys are much better than Lindholm if at all, both are only 2 years younger too.
Well when you look at the numbers Aho has at this point in his career they vastly eclipse Lindholm at the same age. I like Lindholm, I do think he's a 1C, but not at the level Aho and Hintz are. Hintz just put up 10 goals and 24 points in 19 playoff games and was well over a PPG in the regular season. Hintz is closer to Barkov than he is Lindholm.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think he is but he is Bouwmeester 2.0. Just quietly does a lot of things really well but has zero flash.
Too bad he wasn’t a right shot. Love him in van as Hughes’ partner.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's been top 20 analytically for 3 straight years now. Top 10 in 2 of those 3 years. The notion that he's a #3 is frankly ridiculous.
What? Just going by moneypuck’s reported corsi numbers his highest finish is 21st. That sounds impressive, but his highest finish in a particular season would put him no higher than third among flames dmen in any of the past 3 seasons. It’s misleading to look at pure corsi stats and include he’s a top 10 or 20 dman. Just going by that logic, Nikita zadorov and Erik gudbrandson were top 10 dman in 2021-22.

Just looking at his relative possession metrics, he’s been in the minus more often than the plus for Calgary. I think that speaks more honestly to his play. As I said, fringe top 60 dmen. I don’t see how that’s an unfair assessment.

Reactions: tmurfin

Ledge And Dairy

Well when you look at the numbers Aho has at this point in his career they vastly eclipse Lindholm at the same age. I like Lindholm, I do think he's a 1C, but not at the level Aho and Hintz are. Hintz just put up 10 goals and 24 points in 19 playoff games and was well over a PPG in the regular season. Hintz is closer to Barkov than he is Lindholm.
I'm not really sure why you are comparing them to the what they were at the same age instead of what they both are right now.

Hintz had an excellent playoffs, no doubt but he also had 8 games these playoffs where he was held pointless. He was also the 3rd highest scoring player on his line again this regular season, that line is one of, if not the best line in the league, just like the Flames 1st line last year. Barkov singlehandedly carries his own line. I would put quite a few names between Hintz and Barkov.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'd be good moving him. Only because the Flames have a surplus of d-men and could use a legit top 6 forward, who can generate their own offence consistently.b The flames need another offensive threat.

I wouldn't move Hanifin for the sake of it though, only in a good hockey trade.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He's a legit top pairing defenseman that's also seemingly plateaued in Calgary. Really doesn't look like he's every gonna take the next step in terms of becoming a proper number one.

The Flames love mediocrity and maintaining the status quo so fully expect them to try and re-sign him longterm unless another team blows their socks off with an offer. But he should be moved; he's a solid but far from irreplaceable piece. And Kylington has a higher ceiling.

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Stecher

That's a more than good enough defensive group, especially if Huska is the defensive guru that the organization thinks he is.

Last edited:

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
He’s pretty vanilla but an alright defence man. I’d move him for forward help.

Ledge And Dairy

What? Just going by moneypuck’s reported corsi numbers his highest finish is 21st. That sounds impressive, but his highest finish in a particular season would put him no higher than third among flames dmen in any of the past 3 seasons. It’s misleading to look at pure corsi stats and include he’s a top 10 or 20 dman. Just going by that logic, Nikita zadorov and Erik gudbrandson were top 10 dman in 2021-22.

Just looking at his relative possession metrics, he’s been in the minus more often than the plus for Calgary. I think that speaks more honestly to his play. As I said, fringe top 60 dmen. I don’t see how that’s an unfair assessment.
going in reverse year order (23/23, 21/22, 20/21) Here is where Hanifin ranked at 5v5 in terms of defense who played at least 500 minutes in each of these Categories
GF/60 - 46, 17, 136
GA/60 - 142, 77, 65
SF/60 - 16, 9, 77
SA/60 - 81, 47, 38
CF/60 - 32, 10, 68
CA/60 - 75, 29, 41
xGF/60 - 18, 18, 84
xGA/60 - 99, 42, 33
GF% - 94, 23, 98
SF% - 32, 14, 49
CF% - 41, 16, 50
xGF% - 38, 15, 40

Based on that, calling him a Fringe top 60 defenseman does him injustice. I would say its safe to call him a top 40 defenseman in the league over the last 3 years.

Reactions: Blueston

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Would have loved to have him long term over Provorov but I guess we’ll see what he gets traded for and what he signs for

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Underrated player, about as solid as a #2 defenseman that you can get. Dont think the Flames should trade him personally, unless a solid right handed top 6 winter is coming back.

Reactions: weems and Blueston

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Wouldn't be one bit if he ends up in Toronto, I fully expect Treliving to bring somebody over from Calgary.

Reactions: weems

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's really good. Always been a little lukewarm on Hanifin myself because the tools make you want more especially offensively but he's a very very solid top 4 dman. Provided excellent value at just under 5 million per.

I would however like to see him traded in a deal that makes sense because :

1) he's one of the few easily moveable Flames assets actually worth something substantial
2) the Flames have organizational depth at the LD position to fill his spot
3) don't want to play chicken with another upcoming American UFA
4) if he were to extend I'd be worried of what that number looks like, easy in this league to go from underpaid to overpaid

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
We’ll take both Hanifin and Tanev. It will free up your new GM to make his mark on the team and players like Kylington can shine.

Reactions: Canucks LB

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Underrated player, about as solid as a #2 defenseman that you can get. Dont think the Flames should trade him personally, unless a solid right handed top 6 winter is coming back.
I don’t think he’s a #2, especially not on a cup contender. He’s a solid #3. He eats minutes and he’s pretty steady, but his IQ isn’t the greatest. He makes plays most nights where I sit back and go “man wtf are you doing?” The Flames will be making a line change and Hanifin LOVES throwing the puck toward the Flames’ bench. He does this at least once a game. You’re just asking for a too many men on the ice penalty. Or it’s a turnover and the puck is headed back towards you. If he thought the game better, he’d probably be close to a #1 d man. But his hockey IQ just isn’t there

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting that it's Hanifin and not Tanev being mentioned here. The young guy, not the older more "rental" type. I guess Tanev is maybe more of a deadline deal, where teams can wait and see if he's healthy or not.

Curious what a guy like Hanifin even returns though. He's a decent Top-4D, but he's so unremarkable and vanilla. It's hard to see teams getting whipped up into a frenzied bidding war for such a milquetoast top-4D...even if he is effective enough, and young enough that you could extend him pretty comfortably and not worry too much about aging out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad