Sportsnet: Hanifin drawing attention

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think it’s funny he threw the Hanifin thing out there tonight. It’s the one that makes the most sense and we’ve talked about it.

He would take so much pressure off of Rielly. They’d finally have two dman, who can carry a D pair in the playoffs.

Every successful team in the playoffs has at least 2 pair carrying dmen. The Leafs have one, and it’s been the way to beat them. Wear Rielly down, and the Leafs are done for.

You can sign or trade for as many role playing dmen, as you’d like, but it doesn’t make much difference. Brodie and McCabe are really good supporting dmen. They’re not gonna carry the play though.

Hanifin is one of the few who could be available. Trade Nylander for him in a heartbeat…

Reactions: Blueston

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well I think Calgary is a much better team then they showed this year. I think they are built very similarly to Dallas and Carolina. I think if Calgary extends Lindholm they should not rebuild and instead look to infuse youth into the lineup the same way both of the aforementioned teams did (Jarvis, Drury, KK for the Canes and Dellandrea, Lundqvist, Harley, Johnston for the Stars).

Dallas& Carolina are lead by young franchise players.

Calgary isn’t build like that and you are looking at a very very short window at best

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Interesting market with guys like this at 1 left

Gotta think if they go an extensions in place

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Hanifin is very solid. Can log big minutes and just defends well most of the time. He had a rough series against the Oilers and all of a sudden our fanbase turned on him lol. It would definitely leave a hole on the blue line if we lost him but if he doesn’t want to sign back, might as well sell high.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Watching all his Flames games, Hanifin is a solid No2. Does everything well with no flash. Good size and great skater. Good puck mover and good defender. He doesn’t lay the big hits or go end to end to score.

A lot of casual Flames fans will remember the 2 times per season that he gets walked by McDavid (example) and think he’s overrated.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
going in reverse year order (23/23, 21/22, 20/21) Here is where Hanifin ranked at 5v5 in terms of defense who played at least 500 minutes in each of these Categories
GF/60 - 46, 17, 136
GA/60 - 142, 77, 65
SF/60 - 16, 9, 77
SA/60 - 81, 47, 38
CF/60 - 32, 10, 68
CA/60 - 75, 29, 41
xGF/60 - 18, 18, 84
xGA/60 - 99, 42, 33
GF% - 94, 23, 98
SF% - 32, 14, 49
CF% - 41, 16, 50
xGF% - 38, 15, 40

Based on that, calling him a Fringe top 60 defenseman does him injustice. I would say its safe to call him a top 40 defenseman in the league over the last 3 years.

He's been top 20 analytically for 3 straight years now. Top 10 in 2 of those 3 years. The notion that he's a #3 is frankly ridiculous.

Different perspective. The Flames over the last 3 (last 2 in particular) years have been very strong analytically, raw numbers flatter them heavily when guys like Zadorov are posting XGF% of like 56. So I'd prefer to use relative stats to adjust for team strength. I'd love to have EvolvingHockey or Jfresh War stats to add to the discussion but I'm not a subscriber to either.

Over the last 3 years here are Hanifin's relative stats at 5v5 amongst D-men with 1900 + minutes. 1900 is a completely arbitrary number but I didn't want to cutoff guys that had just broken out this year and guys who had retired after last year or lost a season earlier. Moving it up to 2000 doesn't change the numbers significantly.

XGF% rel: 67 of 171, behind both Weegar and Tanev. Moved up to 64 at 2000 mins.

CF% rel: 143 of 171, behind Weegar, Tanev and Zadorov.

HDCF% rel: 34 of 171 behind Tanev (who ranks #1) and Weegar.

GF% rel: 88 of 171. Again, behind both Tanev and Weegar.

Frankly, I don't like looking at stats like this because guys fall off or enter the league and get excluded. It reminds me of the "Monahan is 24th in scoring amongst C's over x years" that would completely ignore the circumstances of other players, breakout players and injuries. In this case these are the 3 most flattering years of Hanifin's career while others have struggled due to things out of their control like injury (Hedman) or haven't played enough yet to make this list (Power, Sanderson, Hughes soon)

Now I'd argue that D-men scoring 5v5 is really not all that important once you get past the elite guys because the difference between a guy giving you 1.04 P/60 and 0.85 P/60 is often like 4 points over a season but one will be top 30, while the other is like 95th. Regardless here are the scoring numbers.

P/60: 36 of 171 surrounded by guys like Nurse, Barrie, Jensen and Dahlin (big breakout this season). Below Weegar and ahead of Andersson (who I think most would agree is better offensively). In reference to what I said above Brendon Dillon who's played 21 less minutes in that time and is ranked 82/171 has 12 less points in that time-span. 4 less per season.

On the PK (normally I'd use just against stats because for stats are so low that small change can skew them like crazy but this is taking forever to type out on my phone.

XGF% rel: 2/100 Oddly enough Andersson is #1 and Tanev is 99 lol, special team sample sizes are small and I think Tanev performing so badly gives them a significant boost.

GF % rel: 40/100. Andersson is #2.

Then Hanifin is hardly used on the powerplay and even his biggest fans don't think he's impactful there. Dude has a muffin of a shot and isn't some elite passer.

Finally each time we've made the playoffs Hanifin has been amongst, if not our worst defenseman. It's not just against McDavid; he was absolutely awful against the Stars last year as well, the Avs in 2019 and was meh-bad in the bubble playoffs.

Taking all this into consideration would it be wrong to think of Hanifin as a #3 that is good at some things and not good at others? You could argue he's a bit higher than that if you wanted but aside from raw counting stats Im having a very hard time seeing anything that places him as a top 40 guy in the league. Flames fans seem to think he's Devon Toews analytically when he really isn't anything special.

I personally don't think he's a top pairing D-man I think he's a guy who is usually fairly solid but has low hockey IQ, makes some ridiculous mistakes and doesn't perform well under pressure. I don't think he moves the needle offensively and I don't think he's this defensive anchor others seem to think he is.

TLDR: Hanifin's relative analytics really aren't that strong. They're fine, good in some cases but he's 3rd amongst Flames D-men in most stats. I don't think the Flames have 3 top 40D and I don't think neutral fans who have watched them much over the last few years would think that either.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
To add to that I found the JFresh player card which actually looks very good but I think his model is assuming that Hanifin's 21/22 year is his normal.

20230611_125204.jpg

In contrast (I can't find a more up to date Tanev one)

20230611_125517.jpg

20230611_125617.jpg

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
He's a great piece, but with Andersson and Weegar being the D core moving forward, and cap issues, it's going to be difficult to pay Hanafin. I'm generally a proponent of dealing him and it's not that he's not a good D. He reminds me of Hamilton pre-trade with Carolina in that he's a great all around D that has a few gaffes that are frustrating. The reason I'd trade him is:

-We are not short on D. If Stecher truly is wanting to re-sign (speculation based on his comments) and the return of Kylington, we have 7 regular NHL defensemen. Might as well trade to get an asset

-Hanafin is going to have a higher trade value than Tanev or Kylington who would be the other options to deal. Neither of those guys is getting significant value, but Hanafin should.

-We need some help up front imo in terms of scoring and the best player to dangle for that is probably Hanafin (again, due to him having the highest value)

-He's going to potentially be pricey to re-sign

Trading Hanafin is risky mostly if you don't think Kylington can live up to/or build on his most recent NHL season.

That said, to trade Hanafin I'd need Kylington signed to an extension and likely Stecher signed to fill out our roster.

Ribsy14

Jun 11, 2023
Flames need another Top 6 Winger. Love the idea of trading Hanifin for Travis Konecny. He lives in Calgary and would fit really nice into the lineup. I think Dube is the odd man out in the forward group, so he can also be added to the deal. Might have to add in a 2nd Rounder because I think the Flyers have a high price on their players.

Open the season with something like this

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Konecny
Pelletier-Backlund-Coronato
Ruzicka-Coleman-Duehr

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Stetcher (Resign)

Markstrom
Wolf (trade Vladar)

Last edited:
Reactions: tmurfin

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Trade him for forward help. His value will never be higher, and they will regret giving him the contract he’s going to demand.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
“He’s a top D in the league” to “he’s worse than Kylington” is QUITE the range of opinion from within the same fanbase

Safe boring defenseman vs flashier up and down defenseman. Hanifin is better but Kylington would be better if he puts it all together. Hanifin doesn't need a babysitter but plays better with Tanev, Kylington needs Tanev to keep him on track.

I'd trade Hanifin but not for a bunch of spare parts.

Reactions: andora

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hes better than provorov

assume he is right now…..

he’s a 1 yr left. Not 2 yrs like Provorov. That is a big difference. Columbus can say we have him for a year. He’s not happy or doesn’t click or work they can trade him at the deadline or next years draft and get back some of what they gave up for him.

Hanifin bring a 1 yr to UFA probably only moves after July 1 when teams can have a contract in place.

also , like vancouver, teams know Calgary is up against the cap so I don’t see them getting a fair return in a trade where they need to not take salary back which limits the market to only 4 or so teams.

if you look at some of the teams with the cap space…some of them don’t need Hanifin as a LD. So I don’t see signing him To an extension.

if they do a close to cap neutral trade they can get a better return.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
This guy is a TOP-4 D and that's it. It's amazing how many dekes for days type bullshit gets accepted here now. What is Hanifin worth? Very late first, likely from a top-4 team looking to re-tool. Otherwise, 2nd.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Florida had any assets left he’d be perfect for them.

To replace Staal for next season and create an actual Dcore

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Flames need another Top 6 Winger. Love the idea of trading Hanifin for Travis Konecny. He lives in Calgary and would fit really nice into the lineup. I think Dube is the odd man out in the forward group, so he can also be added to the deal. Might have to add in a 2nd Rounder because I think the Flyers have a high price on their players.

Open the season with something like this

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Konecny
Pelletier-Backlund-Coronato
Ruzicka-Coleman-Duehr

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Stetcher (Resign)

Markstrom
Wolf (trade Vladar)

I think Philly is looking for futures.

Ad