Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm - II

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Problem with that is you lose the DZone buried pair. They absolutely bury Carlo/Hampus.
Yup that’s their plan

Unfortunately for both mistakes aren’t 160 feet away and in Lindholm case people look at offensive stats and say he’s horrible

That contract feels like it will be an albatross in a couple of years.
I don’t see it or feel it

ae530

Mar 22, 2024
I just think that Lindholm needs to make the sure safe play and have him pair up with Peeke.

Reactions: Gordoff

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I agree with...everyone?...that you've got to break up the Carlo-Lindholm pairing.

With Lindholm playing like he is, and with Carlo being Carlo when it comes to handling the puck, how can we expect not to constantly be hemmed in and getting into trouble with those two on the back end?

I've never been shy about critcizing Gryz, but I think he's been playing some decent hockey lately. Swap him and Carlo and see what happens.

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Never been a fan of Grzelcyk with Carlo.
I said yesterday that Gryz,has been playing some good hockey recently, but there was a play to day he went back for the puck and the forward had full intention taking a run at him,and I thought he will face that every game in the playoffs , I just do not see him holding up.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Oh we're at the point of the season where we turn our attention to burying Hampus Lindholm again?

Glad to see nothings changed.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Oh we're at the point of the season where we turn our attention to burying Hampus Lindholm again?

Glad to see nothings changed.

so you’re saying that it’s somehow out of line to talk about shifting defensive pairings when a player is struggling? Seems like pretty standard stuff for anyone who cares to pay attention to the game.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
so you’re saying that it’s somehow out of line to talk about shifting defensive pairings when a player is struggling? Seems like pretty standard stuff for anyone who cares to pay attention to the game.
NO, we should put on blindfolds and do as we're told and believe that he's
just great and leave it at that. No discussion warranted. A bargain at $6.5 million for the next five years.

Reactions: EverettMike

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I agree with...everyone?...that you've got to break up the Carlo-Lindholm pairing.

With Lindholm playing like he is, and with Carlo being Carlo when it comes to handling the puck, how can we expect not to constantly be hemmed in and getting into trouble with those two on the back end?

I've never been shy about critcizing Gryz, but I think he's been playing some decent hockey lately. Swap him and Carlo and see what happens.

I can see the case for it, but how bad are they really? As a pair they have a 60% GF (28-19) in 631 mins TOI together, despite getting just 13% of offensive zone starts and 23% offensive faceoffs. The underlying numbers aren't quite so good, but they're decent enough all things considered. They're Monty's go-to shutdown pair who take on an awful lot of responsibility in that regard and overall they're handling it quite well.

There are some faults you can find with them, for sure, but it's not just about changing partners. Just like the forwards, Monty uses his D pairs in specific and quite consistent roles. Whoever's with Carlo is getting a stack of work in the Bruins' zone. If it's not Lindy, then who should it be? Can Gryz or anyone else handle that much defensive responsibility?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He hasn't been right since that foot injury last season. I don't know if it has lingered or if he re-injured it. To me he clearly isn't the player he was when he first got here.

Last edited:

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
He hasn't been right since that foot injury last season. I don't know if it has lingered or if he re-injured it. To me he clearly isn't the player he was went he first got here.
I still can’t believe how good he was during the very first game he played for us. The guy is incredibly talented. In some ways it’s kind of too bad fans don’t get to know what’s actually going on with players (illness, playing through injuries, mental stuff….or just sucking due to lack of interest/motivation)…
I hope he is able to play near the level he is capable come the start of playoffs. He truly is an absolute horse when at his best physically, mentally…

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He hasn't been right since that foot injury last season. I don't know if it has lingered or if he re-injured it. To me he clearly isn't the player he was went he first got here.
agreed as usual friend, I look at his skating pre-injury, he was able to pivot and change direction seamlessly, doesn`t appear that way now. He is still able to use his feet to get out of trouble but that doesn`t happen with a pivot, usually happens when he is already facing the direction he is carrying the puck in

As for the drastic decrease in pts, for me, it`s a non issue, yes, love for him to have a season like that year but last year was an outlier. I don`t care to look up his stats but I recall often last year Brick and Jack talking about his best ever offensive season, typically he`s a 25- 30pt guy, he was never some offensive dynamo

Reactions: BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The thought that you can just toss Wotherspoon with Carlo to match up against top lines in the DZ at home - or even more importantly, put out first on the road - is misguided to me. Wotherspoon has been a nice addition. I don't think you want him out there for 80% DZone starts in the playoffs.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The thought that you can just toss Wotherspoon with Carlo to match up against top lines in the DZ at home - or even more importantly, put out first on the road - is misguided to me. Wotherspoon has been a nice addition. I don't think you want him out there for 80% DZone starts in the playoffs.
I don't see why Wotherspoon - Carlo would have to be out there for 80% of DZone starts, and why that couldn't be more spread out with the other defensive pairings. The reason why Lindholm is struggling is because he is taking that many DZone starts to begin with and is wasting the other aspects of his game that he brings. It's why many here wanted the Bruins to get a LD at the trade deadline. If the Bruins are expecting Lindholm - Carlo to play 80% of the DZone starts in the playoffs, if I'm the opposing coach, I tell the players on the team to hit and forecheck Lindholm and Carlo as much as possible since the Bruins can't depend on their 1st and 3rd pairings for any defense.

It's a losing strategy in the playoffs especially when the playoffs is a war of attrition. Lindholm with McAvoy means Montgomery can put them out in all situations. If Wotherspoon can provide what Ference gave the Bruins, then that 2nd pairing should be fine. Grzelcyk can pair with Peake to provide his pucking moving ability and be moved up with McAvoy for specific shifts when the Bruins need offense.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't see why Wotherspoon - Carlo would have to be out there for 80% of DZone starts, and why that couldn't be more spread out with the other defensive pairings. The reason why Lindholm is struggling is because he is taking that many DZone starts to begin with and is wasting the other aspects of his game that he brings. It's why many here wanted the Bruins to get a LD at the trade deadline. If the Bruins are expecting Lindholm - Carlo to play 80% of the DZone starts in the playoffs, if I'm the opposing coach, I tell the players on the team to hit and forecheck Lindholm and Carlo as much as possible since the Bruins can't depend on their 1st and 3rd pairings for any defense.

It's a losing strategy in the playoffs especially when the playoffs is a war of attrition. Lindholm with McAvoy means Montgomery can put them out in all situations. If Wotherspoon can provide what Ference gave the Bruins, then that 2nd pairing should be fine. Grzelcyk can pair with Peake to provide his pucking moving ability and be moved up with McAvoy for specific shifts when the Bruins need offense.
What are you trying to do with that though? Taking away DZ starts from Carlo and giving more to McAvoy isn’t the best strategy, outside of the last 5 mins of a close game. Giving more DZ starts to Peeke or Shattenkirk doesn’t seem ideal either. And doing that means more DZ starts for Grizz.

Wotherspoon isn’t in the same universe as 2011 Andrew Ference. Again, a nice add, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

Reactions: wintersej

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
The interesting part of Lindholm getting the hardest minutes is that McAvoy doesn't, probably speaks to the confidence they have in their partners more than anything. The advantage of keeping them separated is spreading out those minutes, but if they're going to ride one pair anyway then you might as well play them together. Lindholm's been limited by something all year, he'd be better off.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What are you trying to do with that though? Taking away DZ starts from Carlo and giving more to McAvoy isn’t the best strategy, outside of the last 5 mins of a close game. Giving more DZ starts to Peeke or Shattenkirk doesn’t seem ideal either. And doing that means more DZ starts for Grizz.

Wotherspoon isn’t in the same universe as 2011 Andrew Ference. Again, a nice add, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.
It's a flawed roster, but the Bruins need at least two defensive pairings they can trust to play defense going into the playoffs and right now they only have one. When the third pairing is out on the ice, maybe Montgomery puts them out there with a line he trusts defensively, like the Marchand line or third line (Geekie/Frederic).

I don't think Wotherspoon is 2011 Ference, but he does provide a similar game. What Wotherspoon brings to the LD is needed right now, but like you said, it remains to be seen if he's anything more than a 7D. That's why I think Montgomery should at least try Wotherspoon with Carlo right now to see if it works or not before the playoffs start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad