Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm - II

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
With the big trade yesterday and the rumored 8 year extension for Hampus Lindholm, I thought it made sense to do a deep dive on what the player we acquired can really do. Trigger warning for the punches/60 crowd. There will be a lot of numbers in this post.

TL/DR: His numbers are bad, but they used to be good, and it seems like that maybe wasn't all his fault. Good move, but some significant risk.

Lindholm is a big man. 6'4, 216 pounds and a physical 2 way d. When I say physical, I don't mean he's a banger because he's not. He's not a hitter either, per se, but he definitely uses his size and his body to protect the puck from his opponents and is one of those "lean on em" guys behind the net. He has a good shot, a really good first pass and appears to have a really high hockey IQ. He also has a history of top pair level D play that has severely waned recently. There is some evidence that he will perform to his previous level when put in a new environment. It's been talked about everywhere that he's been stapled to Jaime Drysdale who is super talented but is also unaware their is a defensive zone. He also plays on a team that is prone to giving up a hell of a lot of chances, and he plays super hard competition. That said, its not JUST Drysdale's fault. He's played over 500 minutes the last two seasons w/o Drysdale and his numbers are actually worse. He's also taking an absolutely insane amount of penalties this year, which really hurts his overall numbers in these models. The models do not love him this year:

1647779985102.png
1647780021925.png

There is some hope though. His microstats this year are extremely positive:

1647780388961.png

Corey Sznajder's tireless tracking project shows us exactly who Lindholm is despite his diminished cumulative numbers. It appears that even in a year where his larger numbers are down, He is excellent at defending players entering the zone, he's great at Dzone retreivals, and he's a top tier player when it comes to getting the puck in the D zone and carrying it out. He's also above average at carrying the puck into the ozone, which is a nice surprise. What I find really interesting is how good he appears to be at Shot assists in the neutral zone. If you look at all of those things, you can get a picture at what he is as a player. He will stand up and stop players from entering the zone at an elite level. If they do get in, he retrieves the puck at an elite level, and he's able to carry the puck out of the zone at a well above average rate. Once he's out of the zone, he's looking to transition and his passes result in a player going into the ozone and taking a shot at a very VERY high level (96th percentile.) So even when he's giving up a lot of shots/chances/goals in his larger numbers, these microstats paint the picture of who this guy is on the ice quite nicely.

His new contract will reportedly pay him $6.5m a year until he's 36 years old. The models hate that. One of the challenges is the publicly available data models heavily weight by recency (for good reason) so they are going to extrapolate his poor overall numbers the last two years and project forward. Here is Dom's:

1647780949353.png

Some reason for optimism though. His deployment and QOT are going to skyrocket on this team. They also play a zone D here, which tends to really help even the squirreliest D have positive numbers. looking at you Forbort! This is who Lindholm USED to be from age 21-25:

1647781192170.png
1647781230760.png

So the EH and Top down models are pretty conclusive on Hampus. He was an absolutely elite player for over 200 games before his play began to drop. There are a lot of reasons you can point to for WHY his play dropped, but it doesn't completely explain it all away. I've tried to isolate a more specific cause from all the numbers but there isn't much. His PDO and on ice s% have all dropped since 18-19 (which are not generally controllable by the player) and his ozone deployment dropped a bit in 18/19 but that has recovered since Drysdale. There just isn't one glaring reason for why his numbers have dipped but they definitely have. The bruins are taking a calculated risk here that Lindholm will return to his previous greatness if put into a better position to succeed. I happen to think his player profile (strengths/weaknesses) uniquely benefit from the change in situation and it makes me optimistic that they will get good value out of this trade/contract at least for the first few years.

Conclusion: This isn't a slam dunk, but it feels like a risk worth taking. I don't believe defense was a major need for this roster, but if you're going to spend on one, I kinda like spending on this guy. He didn't cost what a truly elite D costs in terms of assets or contract but you can squint and see him being that player again in this situation. Good move.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
A 2nd line center maybe is best acquired in offseason. Haula there isn’t the end of the world right now.

A winger (if DeBrusk is moved) and a rugged right shot D is on my radar now.

I’ve criticized Sweeney often here. I really like the Lindholm add. If he can add a top 6 forward that would be cool whip on my sundae. Love that he identified his player and got him. Hefty price but worth the gamble imo. I bet McAvoy Bergeron Marchand were excited hearing the news.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
A 2nd line center maybe is best acquired in offseason. Haula there isn’t the end of the world right now.

A winger (if DeBrusk is moved) and a rugged right shot D is on my radar now.

I’ve criticized Sweeney often here. I really like the Lindholm add. If he can add a top 6 forward that would be cool whip on my sundae. Love that he identified his player and got him. Hefty price but worth the gamble imo. I bet McAvoy Bergeron Marchand were excited hearing the news.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@b in vancouver, appreciate the thought behind your anti-tank post in the previous thread. It’s a sound argument, which we’ve discussed previously. It all comes back to what you want out of your team. The Bruins are a model of consistency, no doubt about it. And their model works in so much as they continue to be a good, contending team year after year. It’s impressive, for the most part it’s good value entertainment for the fans, and, as I always say, it’s what the Boston fans want. It’s also what Jeremy Jacobs wants, and in that sense he and the fans are far more in tune that many are willing to admit.

It doesn’t win many Cups though, generally because there will always be some other team/s rising up from a genuine rebuild who have more talent as a result. Different teams come and go, but there is almost always somebody. Very occasionally you’ll get lucky and the field opens up, as it did in 2019 when Tampa blew it against Columbus. The Blues took a fairly makeshift roster to glory thanks to a Western Conference that was in transition and the Bruins bottling it when it mattered most. But that happens very rarely. All the multi-Cup winners of the last 15 years – Pens, Hawks, Kings and Bolts – all won off the back of solid rebuilds. Periods of suckage were followed by sustained success. It’s not the only way to win, but it’s the most frequently successful. Even the Bruins’ sole Cup doesn’t happen without the struggles and rebuild on the fly of the early 2000s.

Of course the flip side is what you point out – the history of the league is filled with the miseries of botched rebuilds. Many more fail than pay off and consign those franchises to long periods of poor performance. But that’s the rub. The best chances of ultimate success come from taking the largest risk. The Bruins don’t want to do that and I get it. You just have to accept though that there are consequences to that, same as there are for choosing any other path.

I should point out too that while I did use the word ‘tank’ in a previous post, I was exaggerating a bit. I don’t think the Bruins have to go full scorched earth hit the bottom and completely rebuild from the ground up. As others here have said, they have too many good young pieces in place for that. But I do favor a smaller rebuild, or re-tool if that’s a better word, that accepts a short period of being less competitive and places greater priority on some solid drafting to fill key positions that will put together a good young core to compliment McAvoy, Pasta, Swayman etc. That’s what I’d like to see, because I think that the Bruins’ Cup window is realistically shut and their best chances have passed them by, but I accept at least in the short-term it’s not going to happen.

In that sense I’m not against the Lindholm deal in itself. If you accept what Sweeney’s doing as right for the organization, in trying to keep the Bs as a perpetual contender, then it’s a good move. He’s a solid add who fills a definite need, and he’s been signed to a reasonable contract. All well and good. It’s the model and current direction that I disagree with, because I fear it will continue to consign the Bruins to being close but no cigar, and may at some point see the wheels fall off completely. It’s philosophical differences, but that’s fine. All you can do as a fan is take and enjoy the ride as it comes and see what happens. The Bruins are gunning for another Cup tilt, and I’ll support the team in that, regardless of my doubts. Nothing would make me happier than for them to go all the way.

Last edited:

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
I have been hard on DS, for good reason IMHO.

This however is a great deal and really sets up the Bruins D for the next 5-6 years.

So on the deal and extension, Sweeney gets an A++ from me.

Cheers to Sweengenious today...

1647815856483.jpeg

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Hampus Lindholm's defensive partners over the last few seasons.

2021-2022 Jamie Drysdale
2020-2021 Kevin Shattenkirk
2019-2020 Josh Manson/Erik Gudbranson
2018-2019 Brandon Montour/Josh Manson

I can't wait to see what he'll do with McAvoy. He probably can't either.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Great trade DS! Legit Top 4 D with size. That alone makes me happy.
Salary retention basically offsets the cap hits for Vaak and Moore (I honestly thought John Moore had retired!)
Now if DS can get a 1/2 round pick back in upcoming trades (JDB?) that would be great.

Lindholm hasn't even suited up yet, and he's setting records: He's indisputedly the greatest Hampus in the history of the Bruins franchise.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Every time I think Sweeney has set this team up to fail and that he needs to be fired, he does something like this and completely redeems himself

Reactions: 22Brad Park

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He was an absolutely elite player for over 200 games before his play began to drop. There are a lot of reasons you can point to for WHY his play dropped, but it doesn't completely explain it all away. I've tried to isolate a more specific cause from all the numbers but there isn't much. His PDO and on ice s% have all dropped since 18-19 (which are not generally controllable by the player) and his ozone deployment dropped a bit in 18/19 but that has recovered since Drysdale. There just isn't one glaring reason for why his numbers have dipped but they definitely have.
Thanks for the great analysis.

I can see one big difference from 18/19 going forward: Anaheim stinks. From 2012-2017 Anaheim was 1st in the Pacific every year. From 18/19 to now they’ve failed to make the playoffs every year.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for the great analysis.

I can see one big difference from 18/19 going forward: Anaheim stinks. From 2012-2017 Anaheim was 1st in the Pacific every year. From 18/19 to now they’ve failed to make the playoffs every year.

Ya - there is obviously some team effect here in Lindholm's numbers. guys whose value is tied to their D tend to rise and fall with the tide of the teams performance a bit more than dynamic offensive players. I'm sure there is an effect. He also had a pretty bad wrist injury and while there doesn't seem to be any ill effects, there likely could have been that he's now past. I'm bullish though because of what the microstats say about his skill set and how well that will work in this system.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Ya - there is obviously some team effect here in Lindholm's numbers. guys whose value is tied to their D tend to rise and fall with the tide of the teams performance a bit more than dynamic offensive players. I'm sure there is an effect. He also had a pretty bad wrist injury and while there doesn't seem to be any ill effects, there likely could have been that he's now past. I'm bullish though because of what the microstats say about his skill set and how well that will work in this system.

Is that a situation where you’d look at those micro-stats that have him doing the right things a lot or whatever they measure and say that he’s still a good player and with a better team around him, it’ll be more noticeable?

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad