Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm - II

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Lol, never said Lindholm "stinks". ZHe has not played close to his level of last year though. Beecher is bringing nothing beyond the dot to Boston. 1A in his 11G games and no physicality of note. He has the worst +\- of all 4 centers, the only minus in fact (-3).

Beecher also has higher defensive zone start percentage than any regular skater in the entire league.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Beecher also has higher defensive zone start percentage than any regular skater in the entire league.

That's his FO ability which I already said is his strength but you need more than that.
Megna had a 52% FO percentage last year. I can't recall a single really good pass
from him and the only shooting attempt I can recall is him missing a wide open net.
I haven't seen one hit from him where he tagged any player. So at the end of the day he has been good on FO and poor to mediocre on physicality and his attack game.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Well these next two games he gets to show he's an NHL 1b. Let's see!

The concern with #27 is how fantastic he was for most of last year. He ended up
making the NHL 2nd All Star Team, yet this year he hasn't been near that level. He hasn't been atrocious, but he clearly can play better and it becomes a little concerning
when Mason Lohrei comes in and plays about as well as he has.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A physical issue bothering him? An off ice issue? :dunno:

Whatever it is, Lindholm hasn't played as well as he is capable of playing this season. :(

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
The concern with #27 is how fantastic he was for most of last year. He ended up
making the NHL 2nd All Star Team, yet this year he hasn't been near that level. He hasn't been atrocious, but he clearly can play better and it becomes a little concerning
when Mason Lohrei comes in and plays about as well as he has.
Lindholm looked a lot better than Lohrei against Detroit. He plays a ton of minutes against the other teams top players. They bruins defence is severely depleted he is just playing too many minutes. He still looks pretty good.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Lindholm looked a lot better than Lohrei against Detroit. He plays a ton of minutes against the other teams top players. They bruins defence is severely depleted he is just playing too many minutes. He still looks pretty good.

Lohrei was Boston's best dman against Toronto by my eye test and later on I saw
an advanced stat card that essentially showed the same thing. In Detroit, Lohrei wasn't as good as Lindholm, but Lindholm wasn't much better as I saw Lidholm repeatedly make poor passes. So like I said he has been as good as Lindholm.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Lohrei was Boston's best dman against Toronto by my eye test and later on I saw
an advanced stat card that essentially showed the same thing. In Detroit, Lohrei wasn't as good as Lindholm, but Lindholm wasn't much better. So like I said he has been as good as Lindholm.
Lohrei took bad penalties and his play against copp on the final goal was horrible. He was on the wrong side of the puck and played him soft when he engaged him. Lohrei looks fantastic but that wasn’t his best showing. Lindholm is still a better player imo. Not that Lohrei wont be great. He needs some reps.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
A physical issue bothering him? An off ice issue? :dunno:

Whatever it is, Lindholm hasn't played as well as he is capable of playing this season. :(
So far he has been nowhere even close to last year's standards. I have no doubt he will rediscover his form, hopefully sooner then later.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Maybe he is feeling the pressure of being one of the key players this year.
Last year he had Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand as the leaders. Bergeron
and Krejci as centers were on the ice a lot with him and they more often than not made his life easier both zones. Doesn't have that luxury this year.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about how this guy’s level of play has fallen off a cliff this year. He’s a shell of the player that we saw at the beginning of last season with the game-tying goal in last night’s game being a perfect example. Clean faceoff directly to Lindholm and he just hands the puck over to the Wild. I don’t think the 2022-2023 version of Lindholm makes that mistake.

I know he had the broken foot in the spring, but I have to imagine that’s long since healed. So is it purely a mental thing? Whatever it is, every aspect of his game looks off this year.

Last edited:

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I'm afraid we're seeing what Anaheim saw after a great career start as well. He coughs up the puck a lot in his own end for a supposed #1A/B type.
The defense as a whole has been disappointing this year. Carlo was bad last night, but he has been the most consistent since the beginning of the year.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He can still eat minutes but his play has dipped since last year. Looks a step or two slower - he use to move the puck more with his feet last year as well. Lindholm's play last year was one of a blueline leader but he's struggling to find that level right now.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
When we first got him people told us this was who he was. I was so sure they were wrong.

Now I actually don't know. But for his money he's probably still oooook? Overpaid by 1M at most?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He can still eat minutes but his play has dipped since last year. Looks a step or two slower - he use to move the puck more with his feet last year as well. Lindholm's play last year was one of a blueline leader but he's struggling to find that level right now.
He’s logging tons of minutes. Probably fatigued towards the end when he and they need it the most. They just aren’t skating it out.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
When we first got him people told us this was who he was. I was so sure they were wrong.

Now I actually don't know. But for his money he's probably still oooook? Overpaid by 1M at most?
you have to consider term, age, and cap hit.

Lindholm will be 30 next month. So he is either in the expected physical regressive phase or close to it. He will be 36 at expiry. We should expect declining performance from here on out given his age, with steeper declines over the last 3 or 4 years of the deal. That’s what we have been seeing in the league for years now.

So, considering age, term, and projected performance, he is overpaid. In the other hand, if his contract only had this year and next on it, his $6.5M cap hit would be fine for what he is capable of delivering.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think where too many here are losing some perspective is offensively. Prior to his monster year last year, I think Lindholm put up 30 pts a few times and I think that`s where he typically falls. Last year it felt like every time he touched the puck he got a point.

I also think his summer was likely upended a bit of his typical training during the summer due to his foot needing time to heal. Guy is still eating a ton of minutes. I don`t have massive issues with his game

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
When one of his strengths is carrying the puck out of the zone, and the system he's playing in enforces passing to a forward for breakouts, of course he's not going to look as good as last season. He's not producing as much, but he's logging in a lot of minutes.

Reactions: Rydan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He isn't moving his feet well at all and it's affecting every facet of his game, especially turnovers....if I'm a betting man his injury from last postseason is still bothering him

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was watching the Ducks vs Bruins game from today/2018 (a bunch of transactions between the two). Notably Kase, Wagner, Lindholm etc. Colby Cave RIP.
The point I wanted to make was how much more physical LIndholm was. Besides being very pro-active in his approach, he popped Marchand a good hard check. He was like a different player than we have now.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think where too many here are losing some perspective is offensively. Prior to his monster year last year, I think Lindholm put up 30 pts a few times and I think that`s where he typically falls. Last year it felt like every time he touched the puck he got a point.

I also think his summer was likely upended a bit of his typical training during the summer due to his foot needing time to heal. Guy is still eating a ton of minutes. I don`t have massive issues with his game
Your thoughts on this seem to make the most sense. Eric Karlsson was really never the same player after his foot injury (I'm no expert but that's what I've read). I just hope that he's going to be able to heal.
I had a high ankle sprain many many moons ago and couldn't really walk or skate without a fair amount of pain for a couple years IIRC. Nowadays, they have a different name for it but whatever it's called, it's a real issue (if that's what it is).

Reactions: ODAAT

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
He's on a 6.5 mil per as a 2nd pair, which I think is very fair for what he brings. He more than likely will never duplicate last season but it doesn't mean he isn't good.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad