Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm - II

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He's on a 6.5 mil per as a 2nd pair, which I think is very fair for what he brings. He more than likely will never duplicate last season but it doesn't mean he isn't good.
Yes, it is a fine cap hit for this season. The bigger picture is about the seasons on this contract where he is 32 to 36 years old as his play declines with age. Then again, it seems teams are having an easy time these past few years of just putting guys like that on LTIR when their play declines well below their cap hit.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Personally, I'd like to see him improve in almost all areas. Not that he's bad, although he still gets abused some nights and has some bad games. It's frustrating because we saw what he CAN bring...he just hasn't done it here in a while now

Reactions: BBruins and Dr Hook

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I’m not worried about Lindholm. I think he exceeded expectations last year and is somewhat underperforming this year but realistically he’s somewhere in the middle. I think that foot injury is still bothering him a little cause he doesn’t move quite as well.

He’s still a horse and eats minutes.

This season kind of reminds me of that year in 2020 when Coyle was awful. He was battling something all year (knee?). It finally came out in the offseason and he returned to form rather quickly

Reactions: bergeronsboys

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Feel like everything he does lately with the puck is a second or two late and an inch or two off.

Just everything is slightly off about him. Taking lots of bad penalties also.

Reactions: BBruins

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
you have to consider term, age, and cap hit.

Lindholm will be 30 next month. So he is either in the expected physical regressive phase or close to it. He will be 36 at expiry. We should expect declining performance from here on out given his age, with steeper declines over the last 3 or 4 years of the deal. That’s what we have been seeing in the league for years now.

So, considering age, term, and projected performance, he is overpaid. In the other hand, if his contract only had this year and next on it, his $6.5M cap hit would be fine for what he is capable of delivering.
I understand what you are saying, my question would be how you replace him. I think he is still a good player that is not playing up to talent, but that does happen at times from players, with that said, he would still be hard to replace, and he will probably bounce back. I might be all wrong in this opinion but why does it seem when McAvoy is out, there is more urgency to his game, I think he really tries to step up, and I like to take a positive from that. Do think there might a injury in play also.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I understand what you are saying, my question would be how you replace him. I think he is still a good player that is not playing up to talent, but that does happen at times from players, with that said, he would still be hard to replace, and he will probably bounce back. I might be all wrong in this opinion but why does it seem when McAvoy is out, there is more urgency to his game, I think he really tries to step up, and I like to take a positive from that. Do think there might an injury in play also.
Most likely an injury is hampering his play.

They can’t replace him, because I don’t think any team is taking that contract. It was a classic case of a team giving up a lot of assets for a rental and then signing the acquired player to a bad contract to help justify the assets given up for a rental. It happens every year around the league with deadline acquisitions.

You just hope he gets back to his best game and then doesn’t decline too rapidly as he ages into his 30s. For his age 35 and 36 seasons, if his play has regressed as much as a player commonly does by that age, you hope they can LTIRetire him and get out from under the cap hit.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Most likely an injury is hampering his play.

They can’t replace him, because I don’t think any team is taking that contract. It was a classic case of a team giving up a lot of assets for a rental and then signing the acquired player to a bad contract to help justify the assets given up for a rental. It happens every year around the league with deadline acquisitions.

You just hope he gets back to his best game and then doesn’t decline too rapidly as he ages into his 30s. For his age 35 and 36 seasons, if his play has regressed as much as a player commonly does by that age, you hope they can LTIRetire him and get out from under the cap hit.
I hope you don't take offense, but I think you are being a little dramatic, he is still a pretty good defenseman, and I believe in the end he will be fine. How would you like to be saddled with Eric Karlssons contract.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I hope you don't take offense, but I think you are being a little dramatic, he is still a pretty good defenseman, and I believe in the end he will be fine. How would you like to be saddled with Eric Karlssons contract.
No offense taken, I just think it is a bad contract. EK’s contract is definitely much worse.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
This Lindholm thread needed to be bumped because he played softer than puppy poo last night. And while that might not be anything new, he has also made tons of mental mistakes this year.

Last regular season he had so much success just making the smart/safe play. Wth has happened to him?

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
Two things stick out for me: zero acceleration and comically weak clearing attempts

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
In the first few games back from injury, I thought he was playing some of his best hockey of the season. But he's since reverted back to the slow-footed, giveaway-prone player we saw at the beginning of the year.

During McAvoy's absence at the beginning of last season, he was playing like a borderline Norris candidate. How does a player look that drastically different in just a year's time? Has he not fully recovered from the foot injury he was playing with in the Panthers series? Is it a mental thing?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I fear that Hampus has been possessed by the ghost of Derek Forbort

I’d take an average Forbort over Lindholm atm.

He is struggling in virtually every situation he finds himself in on the ice. He always has a bit of an awkward look to his game, but he can be an all around very effective player. Right now, he’s awkward and terrible.

If he’s injured, get him off the ice. If he’s not injured, I am seriously concerned.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What are his numbers with and without Carlo? I'm not blaming Carlo by any means, but it always seemed like he played better with McAvoy.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
In the first few games back from injury, I thought he was playing some of his best hockey of the season. But he's since reverted back to the slow-footed, giveaway-prone player we saw at the beginning of the year.

During McAvoy's absence at the beginning of last season, he was playing like a borderline Norris candidate. How does a player look that drastically different in just a year's time? Has he not fully recovered from the foot injury he was playing with in the Panthers series? Is it a mental thing?
Confidence is a hell of a drug. Hamp’s confidence tank is empty

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Two things stick out for me: zero acceleration and comically weak clearing attempts
They must have bets on who can make the worst clears in a game. I see no clearcut winner. They are all soft puppies under pressure.

Charlie is looking more like a second pairing guy lately, something is wrong back there

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I thought Lindholm has been really good lately

Hockey is a game of mistakes and the more minutes you play and closer to your net they are magnified

He was flying last night overall

He’s second out of defensemen 5x5 playing oner 1000-1200 minutes in the key defensive goals prevented per 60

He also starts well over 50 % defensive starts

Bruins are a rag tag group but best record in hockey and someone has to be good

Pastrnak is one dimensional so it’s not him

It’s to early to call This Brazzeau team

Lindholm gets a B+/A- grade from me this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad