Confirmed with Link: Hamonic traded to CGY

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
brace yourselves i think we are all about to be disappointed

Nah a 1st and a couple of 2nds is an alright return.

Just have to avoid gloating / praying over each Flame loss next season, the way Sabre fans did when they were getting the nyi 1st :laugh:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yuck!

He definitely requested a trade again.

Why trade him for that when we're trying to make the playoffs.

If TH did again request to be traded, be glad it was not leaked to the press. Sorry to see Hamonic leave, but not sorry to have avoided that gong show.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
We've regressed by 4 wins? News to me.

Full years of Ho-Sang, Beau upgrading Strome to Eberle, not having the three goalie circus all should equate to 6-8 MORE points IMO

Eberle may be better than Strome but Eberle is not highly necessary, not a two way player.

Hamonic is a lot of defensive responsibility gone, and one of the few players that will defend teammates....

Ho-Sang is a nice offensive player, but he is weak on his skates and will take a few years to develop, Beau will improve, but as much as Beau improves, we will see a drop in Chimera.

I am an optimist and assume another move of a grander scale is in order.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

Pretty big endorsement from a player hat was just traded. A statement like this would also indicate Garth and Travis had an agreement with one another.

Also doesn't hurt for other players to hear that.

That statement from him says a lot.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
This is another salary dump bc the new owners are Milstein and Glukstern reincarnate :sarcasm:

I can't say I'm upset about the move, which is a complete 180 of how I would have felt last season. We got guys coming up in the ranks that can potentially be better than hammer, and we got some pieces for a future trade. If Garth uses these pieces to land another solid forward, than this team is going to be VERY dangerous next yr

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
“I’m really excited,” Hamonic said. “I have a pretty awesome opportunity in front of me. We were kind of in limbo wondering if it happened or not, and then we found out and we’re all pretty excited about going to Calgary, to say the least. That’s an understatement. We’re pretty jacked up.”

“Just a first-class player, a first-class person,” Snow said. “These deals are always tough to do because there’s an emotional element to how he is in our community, in the locker room. It’s a move we’re willing to make because of the depth on our blue line. I think he’s in a good place to play, for his family. And the Islanders got a solid return.”

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...-traded-to-calgary-for-draft-picks-1.13761218

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Good for Travis getting closer to home. Re: the decline talk, he's 26. He's definitely a warrior type player and will get injuries as a result. That's not a bad thing (better than a creampuff). Travis may not be effective when he's 35, but I think he's got some very good years in him.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Good for Travis getting closer to home. Re: the decline talk, he's 26. He's definitely a warrior type player and will get injuries as a result. That's not a bad thing (better than a creampuff). Travis may not be effective when he's 35, but I think he's got some very good years in him.

Not for the stat guys. They won't be happy until our club looks like Smurf City. They might even make them paint their skin blue. Luckily we just added Eberle because he brings 185 lbs to the table and a warrior's instincts with the puck. :squint:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Where was the interview? I was curious if he was going to do one in person.

I saw it on News 12. Made me feel bad...will be weird him not being on the team. He wantes to be an Islander for life I think, things back home made that impossible for him. I hope he has a great career. Maybe he will be back one day some how. Would be nice.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I saw it on News 12. Made me feel bad...will be weird him not being on the team. He wantes to be an Islander for life I think, things back home made that impossible for him. I hope he has a great career. Maybe he will be back one day some how. Would be nice.

I'm really interested in seeing that and they don't even have an article about it on their site. What bums.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Some will have you believe that the players don't like, respect, or have any relationship with Snow. This is all the proof I need to know that the guys in the room like Snow.

That isn't the first time. I think it was Dwayne Roloson who also spoke highly of Garth Snow after he was traded. For all of the complaining, I do not recall ever seeing a player have anything negative to say about Garth Snow.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Some will have you believe that the players don't like, respect, or have any relationship with Snow. This is all the proof I need to know that the guys in the room like Snow.

But here's the thing about that, PK... I've left plenty of jobs where I had a lot of respect for my boss or my boss's boss. There are other factors at play and just because the guys respect him, doesn't mean they won't walk away if they get a better opportunity. Snow may be respected, but if the Isles ain't winning... who gives a **** about that?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But here's the thing about that, PK... I've left plenty of jobs where I had a lot of respect for my boss or my boss's boss. There are other factors at play and just because the guys respect him, doesn't mean they won't walk away if they get a better opportunity. Snow may be respected, but if the Isles ain't winning... who gives a **** about that?

I think there's validity to that, but when I suggested that a reason Snow might not have been replaced was because of his relationship with Tavares I was mocked around here. After Hamonic's quote, I think it's evident that they do have a good relationship with Snow and I think (and presumably the owners agree) that would help re-sign Tavares. It doesn't mean he will definitely sign, but it certainly can help.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Oh and I'm happier with CGY deal over Leafs. JVR I respect and all that, but positionally it's a non starter. Add in contract and I want no part.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I think there's validity to that, but when I suggested that a reason Snow might not have been replaced was because of his relationship with Tavares I was mocked around here. After Hamonic's quote, I think it's evident that they do have a good relationship with Snow and I think (and presumably the owners agree) that would help re-sign Tavares. It doesn't mean he will definitely sign, but it certainly can help.

I get what you mean.

From my perspective, having been in similar employment scenarios... it's one of those things that doesn't hurt to have, but in the end... there are more important factors.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
Not for the stat guys. They won't be happy until our club looks like Smurf City. They might even make them paint their skin blue. Luckily we just added Eberle because he brings 185 lbs to the table and a warrior's instincts with the puck. :squint:

Nah...we nerdz want guys who contribute to wins first and foremost. Idc how tall a player is or how gritty he is if he can't play hockey. Also we want robots on the ice and revenge against the jocks who bullied us in high school.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
That isn't the first time. I think it was Dwayne Roloson who also spoke highly of Garth Snow after he was traded. For all of the complaining, I do not recall ever seeing a player have anything negative to say about Garth Snow.

giphy.gif

Can also consider...I mean just one little iota...That even if Tavares loves snow as a person, that if snow was replaced there might be a BETTER CHANCE that he resigns? Can you please just consider that...I mean even the smallest amount?

Because if he "loves it here" as he's said time after time and said that ownership/management has treated him very well...Then why are there any discussion about Tavares leaving at all? BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T WON ENOUGH. Snow could be the coolest dude on the planet, but if he didn't blow every top 5 pick he had other than Tavares, we'd be a lot closer to Cup contention and then there would be no questions about him staying.

So once again...Relationships be damned - It's all about winning and snow hasn't been good enough. He's backed both himself and the Isles into corner that's now come to a head this offseason where he's probably GMing for his job and the resigning of our franchise center.

Why did it have to come to this?

Because once again it comes down to what some of us have been screaming for years...We have a GM that is failing the team and the fans. Tavares' expectations are higher than what snow can deliver. If anything Ledecky/Malkin should recognize this and truly get Tavares, AND US, what is deserved...

A Cup caliber GM.

..but of course they can't because wang is such a ****** ****** and saddled us with probably at least 6 more years of the same mediocrity. In the end I think Tavares will stay, but missing the playoffs in the NHL the summer of your pending UFA can never help. It should never have come to this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad