Grabovski
Bischoff

In:
Full seasons of Ho-Sang, Mayfield, Pelech, Pulock
Eberle
2018 1st
2018 2nd
2019/2020 2nd

Add in a more experienced Beauvillier as well and what appears to be a better and more thoughtful coaching staff. At a minimum, Weight seems to have a better idea on how to bring along and develop kids like Beauvillier, Ho-Sang, etc.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hope the flames lose every game with the exception of the oilers games lol.

With the way the lottery is set up, if they miss the playoffs we have 3 shots at a top 3 pick. That's of course if we keep the pick.

I'm still holding out hope Garth has something up his sleeve for immediate help.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

With the way the lottery is set up, if they miss the playoffs we have 3 shots at a top 3 pick. That's of course if we keep the pick.

I'm still holding out hope Garth has something up his sleeve for immediate help.

They could be lousy, it's entirely possible. They were good in 14-15, bad in 15-16, and good last year but many said they probably were a worse team than their record so who knows

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As of right now...

Out:
Hamonic
Strome
2017 1st (15th overall)
2019 2nd
Grabovski
Bischoff

In:
Full seasons of Ho-Sang, Mayfield, Pelech, Pulock
Eberle
2018 1st
2018 2nd
2019/2020 2nd

Forgot to add J.F. Berube to the out column. :nod:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Pretty big endorsement from a player hat was just traded. A statement like this would also indicate Garth and Travis had an agreement with one another.

Also doesn't hurt for other players to hear that.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The Isles as constituted right now are about 8 points out of the playoffs, we regressed 8 points last offseason and have now regressed 8 points again, unless there is a master plan, and I would have no idea at this point what it is.

so yeah if we are on a playoff run, we can get a better Kulemin but this team is drifting further away from the pack each offseason

if Eberle and Nelson play together, That Aho guy on Carolina is going to get a few hat tricks this year

We've regressed by 4 wins? News to me.

Full years of Ho-Sang, Beau upgrading Strome to Eberle, not having the three goalie circus all should equate to 6-8 MORE points IMO

Rhino1985

Jul 3, 2015
I'm hot and cold on this offseason so far. Definitely disappointed that we haven't added a 2C, but our cap situation is looking better and we are assured that Pulock will get a chance this year.

Do we go for a stop gap 2C in free agency? Nelson and Bailey are better on the wing and Barzal should be worked in as a 3C.

Any of these names stand out as a good short term option until we can flip some assets from the Hammer trade/Prospects for a 2C?

Bonino?
Hanzal?
Ribeiro?
Laich?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm hot and cold on this offseason so far. Definitely disappointed that we haven't added a 2C, but our cap situation is looking better and we are assured that Pulock will get a chance this year.

Do we go for a stop gap 2C in free agency? Nelson and Bailey are better on the wing and Barzal should be worked in as a 3C.

Any of these names stand out as a good short term option until we can flip some assets from the Hammer trade/Prospects for a 2C?

Bonino?
Hanzal?
Ribeiro?
Laich?

I'm not crazy about a stopgap. Are any of those guys much better than what we already have? Hanzal is okay, 35-40 points per year but never plays a full season. Bonino is alright, 40 points per year guy. Ribeiro is 37, but the best offensively of the bunch. Not sure how good he is defensively. Brooks Laich should retire.

Someone mentioned Spezza somewhere on the boards, and he'd be an alright stopgap. He's still a 50-60 point player and he'd finally wear the sweater he was supposed to wear. He has a limited NTC though and has a $7.5 million cap hit this year and next. Not sure he's even available.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
We are still waiting on young players to save the day even after 10 years of Snow.

We are 1 players decision on his future away from Rebuild 2.0

That's why we are moving assets/younger players to acquire veteran talent?

The Pens won based off of young talent on their roster, are they rebuilding?

Rhino1985

Jul 3, 2015
I'm not crazy about a stopgap. Are any of those guys much better than what we already have? Hanzal is okay, 35-40 points per year but never plays a full season. Bonino is alright, 40 points per year guy. Ribeiro is 37, but the best offensively of the bunch. Not sure how good he is defensively. Brooks Laich should retire.

Someone mentioned Spezza somewhere on the boards, and he'd be an alright stopgap. He's still a 50-60 point player and he'd finally wear the sweater he was supposed to wear. He has a limited NTC though and has a $7.5 million cap hit this year and next. Not sure he's even available.

After a little research, I retract my Ribeiro suggestion. Apparently he was awful last year and actually ended up playing in the AHL. And yes, Laich should retire haha.

I understand your bolded statement in terms of pure production, but it seems like if we don't add somebody at the 2C spot, we're going to end up using one of our tweener Center/Wingers: Bailey, Nelson, Beau...

I know Duchene is the sexiest pick, but if it's not realistic, we need to fill this huge hole with someone who actually plays the position. Is it a stretch to think Barzal could supplant a Bonino/Hanzal type by January?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
After a little research, I retract my Ribeiro suggestion. Apparently he was awful last year and actually ended up playing in the AHL. And yes, Laich should retire haha.

I understand your bolded statement in terms of pure production, but it seems like if we don't add somebody at the 2C spot, we're going to end up using one of our tweener Center/Wingers: Bailey, Nelson, Beau...

I know Duchene is the sexiest pick, but if it's not realistic, we need to fill this huge hole with someone who actually plays the position. Is it a stretch to think Barzal could supplant a Bonino/Hanzal type by January?

Mike Fisher is the perfect stop gap - checks a lot of boxes and had a pretty good playoff.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I couldn't say anything about Barzal, I've had very limited viewings of him. It's probably possible.

Nelson can play the center position, he's just not the best option there if we can help it. My issue with bringing in a free agent center is that it really forces Snow to make another move to make space.

For example:

Lee Tavares Bailey
Ladd FreeAgent Eberle
Beauvillier Barzal Ho-Sang
Chimera Cizikas Clutterbuck

Nelson, Kulemin, Prince, Quine

Even if Barzal started in the AHL, that's still too many forwards.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
ZERO.

Loading up on picks because he is:

1) Giving Travis what he wanted with the family issue and the need to be dealt geographically (don't be surprised if we find out down the line that Calgary knew and was willing to help out a little on the bid side too)

2) Pulock is ready to step into that slot in his mind (the TSN interview confirms his feeling for this)

3) These picks have MORE value than this year's, due to the perceived strength of next year's draft, which means he has MORE flexibility in making another deal, as opposed to having to utilize Travis as the main piece.

4) Garth decided that DeHaan needs a long term contract and is slotting Travis' salary to accomplish that.

5) Decided that Travis would be less valuable in Weight's system than he was in Capuano's and that DeHaan was the better fit.

6) Feels he will find the #2C solution around the league if Duchene doesn't happen and those picks will be the cost.

Excellent post!!

Comical that folks don't think JT is consulted on every move we make. I love the trade.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In a vacuum, that is a good a haul for Hamonic, not disputing that. But UNLESS some of those picks (or something else) is used to make another move, I dont see how this trade addresses the two main goals for this team, which is to compete now and to re-sign John Tavares.
There are still glaring holes on this team. Without a 2C and another top 4 D, this team is going nowhere.

On point Satan.:nod:

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014

How are there 3 shots?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Probably means we could get #1, #2, or #3 overall if Calgary's pick is a lottery pick. It's not just the top pick in play, you draw for the other 2 also.

The last team in the league is guaranteed the #4 overall.

Considering Calgary picked up Mike Smith in net next year there's a good chance they will be a fringe playoff team at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad