Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
HamiltonOHL: Thanks for all your postings today. It was very much appreciated.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Out of all of the prospects we drafted today I like the first 3 picks in McMichael, Van Loon and Kaliyev... I am very happy with taking Zach Roy in the 4th round if we were to draft a goalie he was the goalie that i wanted... I am also happy with Xaiver Henry.. If we can get DJ King to commit that is 2 dman that is 6`4 or bigger. Then if u add in Jayden Jensen then that is 3 dman for 6`3.. the other player i like is Ford Ondrovic

To make room for Zach Roy, Ceci would have to be moved or released and with how very little Consistent that Fulcher is I would be happy with bringing up Nick Donofrio since he signed with us last year, and bring up Zach Roy and let him say develop in Ancaster or if Fulcher is horrible trade him and stick with Nick Donofrio and Zach Roy..

If DJ King comes up along with Xaiver Henry, I would consider moving Templeton as well as one of our other dman or carry Henry or King as a 7th dman. As far as our top 3 forwards goes they fit in well because with Luff gone after he was reassigned to Ontario Reign yesterday, Petti and Cramrossa gone, that would give us Saigeon and Roberts as top line C and put McMichael as a 3rd line C and even trade LUke K because he is terrible at faceoffs... #19 Ben G from Sudbury i could see gone too.. Just my own thoughts and opinions..

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
In total we took 15 players 5 Centers 4 LW 1 RW 2 LD 2 RD and 1 G. With taking more forwards today then D still waiting to see how we do with our atleast 4 picks or 5 if we pick a goalie on wednesday if we stay with our 4 picks im saying we are going with a Dman in the import draft not forward.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Overall it looks like a good day. I haven't seen any of these kids play, so I can only read scouting reports and hope they turn into good players. I'm most interested to see how Van Loon pans out over time.

Something to keep in mind, most of these guys (or any team's picks) won't play in the OHL. Unfortunately that's the reality since there are only so many positions to fill and kids have limited time to earn a spot in the OHL.

With the Bulldogs wanting to make a big run in the 17-18 season, it's going to be even tougher for a rookie to crack the Bulldogs lineup versus a team rebuilding. If the Bulldogs are truly all in for a run, we should expect them to trade for more veterans and upgrade a few current players. I'd expect 2-3 rookies (including McCourt) to make next year's lineup. Then in 18-19, another 1 or 2 from this draft could crack the roster as they will likely be a younger team in rebuild mode, and trading assets to acquire picks and younger players.

Looking forward to seeing what the Bulldogs do in U18 and import drafts now.

Last edited:

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Canadian Game: When you say 17-18 the second time in your post do you mean 18-19?

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Overall it looks like a good day. I haven't seen any of these kids play, so I can only read scouting reports and hope they turn into good players. I'm most interested to see how Van Loon pans out over time.

Something to keep in mind, most of these guys (or any team's picks) won't play in the OHL. Unfortunately that's the reality since there are only so many positions to fill and kids have limited time to earn a spot in the OHL.

With the Bulldogs wanting to make a big run in the 17-18 season, it's going to be even tougher for a rookie to crack the Bulldogs lineup versus a team rebuilding. If the Bulldogs are truly all in for a run, we should expect them to trade for more veterans and upgrade a few current players. I'd expect 2-3 rookies (including McCourt) to make next year's lineup. Then in 17-18, another 1 or 2 from this draft could crack the roster as they will likely be a younger team in rebuild mode, and trading assets to acquire picks and younger players.

Looking forward to seeing what the Bulldogs do in U18 and import drafts now.

I agree what ur saying about the roster next year my only thing is with 3 forwards gone and a goalie that means we have to trade a bunch of prospects which i dont see us trading many that we have because i can tell you right now that the line up we have we already know what it can and can not do and with petti Luff gone we need ALOT of work... unless we can hit a HR with a goalie via trade or a key dman with Import or key forward i dont see us going for much of a impact with what we have as far as our prospects goes to trade for players.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
McMichael, Kaliyev, and Van Loon all featured (reports) in my draft primer (courtesy the guys at TheScout).

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/04/2017-ohl-priority-selection-primer.html

Sleeper - Arthur Kaliyev – Detroit Compuware U16 AAA
“The final player that should probably go higher than he is currently ranked is Russian-born Arthur Kaliyev, who is also without an NCAA commitment at the moment. Kaliyev is a forward that OHL Draft scouts will be very familiar with, having played up as an under-age player last season with U15 Detroit Little Caesars. This season, he was the only 2001-born player on his Detroit Compuware squad and he ended up leading a team full of 2000-born players with several USHL draftees and NCAA commits in scoring. Kaliyev really likes to make positive use of a lethal shot and a very quick release. He has a stealthy way of opening up lanes, walking right in and surgically placing a quick shot into a tight corner. With a bigger body and some good power behind his frame, Kaliyev can protect the puck very well and has the capability to dangle his way out of a tight situation. He has made plenty of defensemen look silly, reaching to try and take the puck off his stick. There are many paths that Kaliyev could end up taking, but he could end up as a high first round OHL Draft pick depending on who is interested.â€

2. Connor McMicheal- Ajax- Pickering Raiders
It was a tough decision to put Connor at #2 and maybe we can call them both #1's as they bring so much talent and leadership to the table. His game breaking abilities and outstanding puck control has had scouts raving about him all season. May be one of the most elite penalty killers, especially at catching defenders off guard chasing back for the puck and stealing it before they even know he is there. His quick stick and impressive eye hand coordination makes him a threat all over the ice and possibly the best two way players in the draft this year. Though I speak so highly of his defensive upside, Connor is a weapon in the offensive zone from being a playmaker on the power play to sniping from the slot with his deadly accuracy. Such a smooth and elegant skater, he glides around the ice always looking to intercept passes and seems to be a play ahead of everyone on the ice with such awareness. Being such an all around talent has allowed him to play in every situation that his coaches throw at him and he excels a majority of the time when called upon. Having the looks of a player that is ready for the next level, he may just need to pack on a few pounds to be ready to play against the bigger boys and hold his own in the rough areas on the ice. Too go along with his exceptional skating abilities he also displays next level puck control as he can turn defenders inside out at a snap of the fingers. He could possibly be the first ETA player selected in the upcoming draft and it would not surprise me one bit but if anything is going to hold him back from that honor it would solely be because someone else fit the teams needs that he didn't.

Liam Van Loon, C, London Jr. Knights (ALLIANCE)
Occasionally, we come across a player who consistently plays above his skill level and can overtake a game through sheer work ethic and determination. Liam Van Loon is that exact player and because of his impact, he's a safe player to select at any position outside of the opening round. Van Loon displays the work ethic and energy that can spark an entire team and really set the tone for a game. Few players can set the offensive pace like Van Loon and despite lacking high end skill, he's extremely productive through shear determination. He lacks ideal size but is a fierce forechecker who will challenge all defenders, and usually comes out of the corner with the puck on his stick. He's shown to be a tremendous special teams player who gets right on top of the puck, forcing turnovers and quickly transitioning pucks into his skilled teammates' hands. Van Loon has that 'farm boy' workmanship and he has been arguably the most valuable role player on one of the best London Jr. Knights minor midget teams in the history of the program. Don't sleep on his shooting ability as he wastes no time with his quick trigger release and has shown to produce high velocity, high accuracy off his snap shot. Van Loon is a gamer.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I agree what ur saying about the roster next year my only thing is with 3 forwards gone and a goalie that means we have to trade a bunch of prospects which i dont see us trading many that we have because i can tell you right now that the line up we have we already know what it can and can not do and with petti Luff gone we need ALOT of work... unless we can hit a HR with a goalie via trade or a key dman with Import or key forward i dont see us going for much of a impact with what we have as far as our prospects goes to trade for players.
I think I get the jest of what you're saying. Here's my thoughts since I was going to share them sometime anyway.

Hamilton still has scoring depth for next year. After losing 3 forwards (assuming Luff stays in the AHL since he was just called up), they will likely still have 3 scoring lines by the fall or Christmas because of the import draft and trades. I believe (and hope) the top 2 centers will be Saigeon and Entwistle (interchangeable), and then Roberts on third line. Where Kutkevicius fits in, I'm not sure but Gruden did rotate centers to wing this year. While I haven't been a huge fan of Luke most this season, it's undeniable that he finished the season strong (including playoffs). I really hope he returns in the fall the way he finished this year. One big thing the team must address is faceoffs. I think it can be improved with coaching and practice but it needs to improve somehow.

For defense, the foundation is Lemcke, Gleason, Walters, and Hanley. Candella improved a ton in 15-16 from the year prior in Belleville but this year I thought he regressed. Over time his minutes diminished this season and he was ultimately moved down to third line while Hanley's and Gleason's minutes increased. Hamilton could look at trading Candella with picks to upgrade D, which would also give him the opportunity to play more minutes on another team and hone his skills. If they upgrade D, I'd look for someone who isn't afraid to shoot from the blue line (like Stephen Desrocher), and can move the puck up the ice from their own end. Ideally the new person would become a #1D or #2D.

For goal, I think this is the biggest question mark. Fulcher was the go-to guy and won games early in the season. Once Hamilton acquired Carty, Gruden played both goalies as a 1A /1B tandem with no designated starting goalie. Around February Gruden was saying "you win, you're in" and Carty had a (6 game?) win streak but when Fulcher won games, Carty would start after anyway. Then in a 7 game playoff series Fulcher got just 40 minutes with no starts. Going forward I see 3 goaltending options.
1: Hamilton puts their trust in Fulcher and his 40 minutes of playoff experience and a rookie to backup for a big run. Mississauga is relying on 16 year-old Ingham for theirs right now so it's not unheard of.
2: They acquire another OHL veteran and let the two duel it out again for the starting position.
3: Trade Fulcher and pick(s) to upgrade goaltending and have a rookie backup in Donofio or Ceci. Personally I see Donofrio getting the opportunity and Ceci's days being numbered.

Going back to trading draft picks and current players for upgrades, I'll use this past trade deadline as an example. Firstly, Hamilton could use just draft picks to acquire reliable depth players - like Windsor did acquiring Adam Laishram and sending a draft pick back. However, when building for a run, picks and players is a real possibility too. Erie traded McShane and picks to Oshawa for Cirelli, and Neumann and a pick to Kingston for Foegele. London packaged Martenet and picks to Ottawa for Salituro, and Blacker and picks to Oshawa for Vande Somple. McShane, Neumann, and Blacker are all younger players with good upside, while Martenet is a veteran who can still improve his game and play more minutes elsewhere while London upgraded their defense.

Finally, a few guys I could see having to fight to keep their roster spots the most are Garagan, Templeton, and Nurse. The same happened to Mendona, Mizzi, and Krassy last year. I'll never understand why Saban AND a pick were involved to acquire Templeton. Saban logged a lot more minutes but the rumour is that Andlauer wanted Templeton brought home. Hamilton went from having a reliable defensive dman who was physical and blocked a ton of shots to a guy who got moved from defense to fill the fourth line and get just a few shifts per game. One guy I haven't mentioned is Jackson, who I'd be inclined to keep before the others for the fourth line (provided he sticks to his game and doesn't try to become a fighter).

Already can't wait for September!

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I think I get the jest of what you're saying. Here's my thoughts since I was going to share them sometime anyway.

Hamilton still has scoring depth for next year. After losing 3 forwards (assuming Luff stays in the AHL since he was just called up), they will likely still have 3 scoring lines by the fall or Christmas because of the import draft and trades. I believe (and hope) the top 2 centers will be Saigeon and Entwistle (interchangeable), and then Roberts on third line. Where Kutkevicius fits in, I'm not sure but Gruden did rotate centers to wing this year. While I haven't been a huge fan of Luke most this season, it's undeniable that he finished the season strong (including playoffs). I really hope he returns in the fall the way he finished this year. One big thing the team must address is faceoffs. I think it can be improved with coaching and practice but it needs to improve somehow.

For defense, the foundation is Lemcke, Gleason, Walters, and Hanley. Candella improved a ton in 15-16 from the year prior in Belleville but this year I thought he regressed. Over time his minutes diminished this season and he was ultimately moved down to third line while Hanley's and Gleason's minutes increased. Hamilton could look at trading Candella with picks to upgrade D, which would also give him the opportunity to play more minutes on another team and hone his skills. If they upgrade D, I'd look for someone who isn't afraid to shoot from the blue line (like Stephen Desrocher), and can move the puck up the ice from their own end. Ideally the new person would become a #1D or #2D.

For goal, I think this is the biggest question mark. Fulcher was the go-to guy and won games early in the season. Once Hamilton acquired Carty, Gruden played both goalies as a 1A /1B tandem with no designated starting goalie. Around February Gruden was saying "you win, you're in" and Carty had a (6 game?) win streak but when Fulcher won games, Carty would start after anyway. Then in a 7 game playoff series Fulcher got just 40 minutes with no starts. Going forward I see 3 goaltending options.
1: Hamilton puts their trust in Fulcher and his 40 minutes of playoff experience and a rookie to backup for a big run. Mississauga is relying on 16 year-old Ingham for theirs right now so it's not unheard of.
2: They acquire another OHL veteran and let the two duel it out again for the starting position.
3: Trade Fulcher and pick(s) to upgrade goaltending and have a rookie backup in Donofio or Ceci. Personally I see Donofrio getting the opportunity and Ceci's days being numbered.

Going back to trading draft picks and current players for upgrades, I'll use this past trade deadline as an example. Firstly, Hamilton could use just draft picks to acquire reliable depth players - like Windsor did acquiring Adam Laishram and sending a draft pick back. However, when building for a run, picks and players is a real possibility too. Erie traded McShane and picks to Oshawa for Cirelli, and Neumann and a pick to Kingston for Foegele. London packaged Martenet and picks to Ottawa for Salituro, and Blacker and picks to Oshawa for Vande Somple. McShane, Neumann, and Blacker are all younger players with good upside, while Martenet is a veteran who can still improve his game and play more minutes elsewhere while London upgraded their defense.

Finally, a few guys I could see having to fight to keep their roster spots the most are Garagan, Templeton, and Nurse. The same happened to Mendona, Mizzi, and Krassy last year. I'll never understand why Saban AND a pick were involved to acquire Templeton. Saban logged a lot more minutes but the rumour is that Andlauer wanted Templeton brought home. Hamilton went from having a reliable defensive dman who was physical and blocked a ton of shots to a guy who got moved from defense to fill the fourth line and get just a few shifts per game. One guy I haven't mentioned is Jackson, who I'd be inclined to keep before the others for the fourth line (provided he sticks to his game and doesn't try to become a fighter).

Already can't wait for September!

my thoughts is:

With all of the forwards that they took yesterday with the other import pick they will go Defense why i have no idea I can just see them going on defense. If you can get DJ King to commit to dogs next season i would even consider giving Xaiver Henry a shot at makign d then you have 2 big dman 6`4 that can hit players and put them out from inside our goalie which i thought was a problem that we need some big dman.

As far as forwards going, We have jake Murray and owen Burnell coming if u decide to sign owen to a ohl contract. Isaac Nurse, Jackson, Roberts, Saigeon, Strome Studenic Bitten and Entwistle. Then include Luke K and Ben garagan. You can say Saigeon and Strome are both good for say 60-70 pts if Saigeon played the second half this year the whole season i can see that. if Bitten comes back and doesnt make Montreal we need a big year from him if not then the trade for him looks like a bust. We know Studenic will have another good year but the rest of the players Nurse, Jackson, Mack need to get more points. Luke K i find is horrible at faceoffs. If he is going to be a centre either get better at faceoffs or move on from him. Roberts needs to be a top 6 forward if not why have a 4th overall pick as a 3rd line centre. With jake Murray i cant comment because I havnt seen him play so i am hoping he brights a ice scoring touch next season. So unless they go forward with the other import pick we need atleast another 2 forwards that we need to acquire to be top 6 forwards..

As far as goalies go. Kaden Fulcher i believe his last 6-7 starts he was letting in 4 goals min a game to me I am not sold on him to be starter. As far as Cole Ceci is concerned i would of left him with Ancaster for another season and let him develop but to me hes not a OHL goaltender. he hasnt played anywhere since his last game which i believe was December 12 2016. I know he was injured and such so unless the injury was a bad injury he never played anywhere after that and to have Staios tell us at the town hall meeting that he is still on the team has me worried about our goaltending. If anything this off-season goaltending is the top on my list to improve.

If you look at Cole Ceci 9 games this season

out of 9 games he has let in 3 or more goals 5 out of 9 times and of those 5 games 3 of 5 were 4 or more goals. You mention about the 16 yr old goalie in Mississauga i would even consider going with Donofino and Roy for say the first month or so and then see how well they do and then maybe find another goalie.

One other thing about the forwards, Strome will be at NHL camp, Candella will, Britten, Studenic if he gets drafted and Saigeon if he gets invited. thats 4 of ur top 6 forwards right there like yah we wont make final cuts right away because of it but i mean they prob wont be back until maybe october if they make that 10 game cut or not so we wont be scoring as many goals unless our players step up.

I never did understand why we went with 5 centres yesterday. I know some of the later picks wont see OHL ice and such but you took 10 centres/lw combined and 1 rw i mean yah you could move a lw to rw and so forth but you only took 4 dman out of 15 picks and i think d and goalie is our two weakness on the team.

We still have 4-5 picks on wednesday for the U18 draft as well as the import pick to look forward to this summer with the orientation camp 21-23rd of April so lets hope our new crop of rookies can show us that they deserve to be at the main camp come August.

jdan1997

Aug 22, 2012
Big day for the Dogs yesterday. I like what they did in the draft, especially in the middle rounds.

As for current (and former at this point) Bulldogs, it was a big day too.

Niki Petti with his first pro game and goal! Matt Luff poised to make his debut with Ontario in the near future, Entwistle and Strome off at U18s!

Some guys I can see getting drafted/camp invites are Strome, Entwistle, Saigeon, Gleason, Studenic, Lemcke, and Fulcher in no particular order.

Do either Cram or Carty get contracts or invites? Both are good enough to be given a shot IMO.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Big day for the Dogs yesterday. I like what they did in the draft, especially in the middle rounds.

As for current (and former at this point) Bulldogs, it was a big day too.

Niki Petti with his first pro game and goal! Matt Luff poised to make his debut with Ontario in the near future, Entwistle and Strome off at U18s!

Some guys I can see getting drafted/camp invites are Strome, Entwistle, Saigeon, Gleason, Studenic, Lemcke, and Fulcher in no particular order.

Do either Cram or Carty get contracts or invites? Both are good enough to be given a shot IMO.

No word on Carty, but have heard Cram may head to school.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
my thoughts is:

With all of the forwards that they took yesterday with the other import pick they will go Defense why i have no idea I can just see them going on defense. If you can get DJ King to commit to dogs next season i would even consider giving Xaiver Henry a shot at makign d then you have 2 big dman 6`4 that can hit players and put them out from inside our goalie which i thought was a problem that we need some big dman.

As far as forwards going, We have jake Murray and owen Burnell coming if u decide to sign owen to a ohl contract. Isaac Nurse, Jackson, Roberts, Saigeon, Strome Studenic Bitten and Entwistle. Then include Luke K and Ben garagan. You can say Saigeon and Strome are both good for say 60-70 pts if Saigeon played the second half this year the whole season i can see that. if Bitten comes back and doesnt make Montreal we need a big year from him if not then the trade for him looks like a bust. We know Studenic will have another good year but the rest of the players Nurse, Jackson, Mack need to get more points. Luke K i find is horrible at faceoffs. If he is going to be a centre either get better at faceoffs or move on from him. Roberts needs to be a top 6 forward if not why have a 4th overall pick as a 3rd line centre. With jake Murray i cant comment because I havnt seen him play so i am hoping he brights a ice scoring touch next season. So unless they go forward with the other import pick we need atleast another 2 forwards that we need to acquire to be top 6 forwards..

As far as goalies go. Kaden Fulcher i believe his last 6-7 starts he was letting in 4 goals min a game to me I am not sold on him to be starter. As far as Cole Ceci is concerned i would of left him with Ancaster for another season and let him develop but to me hes not a OHL goaltender. he hasnt played anywhere since his last game which i believe was December 12 2016. I know he was injured and such so unless the injury was a bad injury he never played anywhere after that and to have Staios tell us at the town hall meeting that he is still on the team has me worried about our goaltending. If anything this off-season goaltending is the top on my list to improve.

If you look at Cole Ceci 9 games this season

out of 9 games he has let in 3 or more goals 5 out of 9 times and of those 5 games 3 of 5 were 4 or more goals. You mention about the 16 yr old goalie in Mississauga i would even consider going with Donofino and Roy for say the first month or so and then see how well they do and then maybe find another goalie.

One other thing about the forwards, Strome will be at NHL camp, Candella will, Britten, Studenic if he gets drafted and Saigeon if he gets invited. thats 4 of ur top 6 forwards right there like yah we wont make final cuts right away because of it but i mean they prob wont be back until maybe october if they make that 10 game cut or not so we wont be scoring as many goals unless our players step up.

I never did understand why we went with 5 centres yesterday. I know some of the later picks wont see OHL ice and such but you took 10 centres/lw combined and 1 rw i mean yah you could move a lw to rw and so forth but you only took 4 dman out of 15 picks and i think d and goalie is our two weakness on the team.

We still have 4-5 picks on wednesday for the U18 draft as well as the import pick to look forward to this summer with the orientation camp 21-23rd of April so lets hope our new crop of rookies can show us that they deserve to be at the main camp come August.

Forgot to mention Jensen from yesterday is 6'3 so him Henry at 6'4 both could grow as they are only 15-16 plus king who's 6'3 maybe taller that's 3 big dman on the back end for our future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad