Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Not shocked at Gruden resigning from Hamilton and going to the NHL. Winning the J. Ross Robertson Cup pretty much meant he'd have better jobs lined up, and the fact there's no point staying when the franchise is heading for a major rebuild.

Hopefully he has success in Long Island. And he follows Jay Varady, who was plucked away from Kingston by the Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)--meaning both Kingston and Hamilton will have new head coaches for what are expected to be lengthy rebuild jobs.

Will GM Steve Staios be next to go? We'll have to wait and see..

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Not shocked at Gruden resigning from Hamilton and going to the NHL. Winning the J. Ross Robertson Cup pretty much meant he'd have better jobs lined up, and the fact there's no point staying when the franchise is heading for a major rebuild.

Hopefully he has success in Long Island. And he follows Jay Varady, who was plucked away from Kingston by the Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)--meaning both Kingston and Hamilton will have new head coaches for what are expected to be lengthy rebuild jobs.

Will GM Steve Staios be next to go? We'll have to wait and see..

The to the first point, yeah I don't think anyone can fault a coach for taking an assistant coach job for an NHL team. Heck a lot of AHL head coaches never get that chance. That said, I think if an opportunity like this doesn't come along, plenty of reason to stay with a franchise that is going to give you tons rope after just having won a championship and you have established familiarity with the players, staff and GM and realistically, can do things how you want.

As far as Staios, he's been pretty clear he's staying in Hamilton but lets all be honest, if an NHL job like this comes along, sure Staios would take it. As an organization though, if you're issue is the NHL keeps pillaging your staff due to a proven track record of success, that's not exactly a negative for the franchise as a whole.

I'm more so surprised how quick you've gone from "Staios's job is in Jeopardy" to "Staios is highly coveted, how long before the NHL comes knocking.

Regardless though, forum banter aside. Good for Gruden. Our loss is the Islander's gain.

Reactions: Canadian Game

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The to the first point, yeah I don't think anyone can fault a coach for taking an assistant coach job for an NHL team. Heck a lot of AHL head coaches never get that chance. That said, I think if an opportunity like this doesn't come along, plenty of reason to stay with a franchise that is going to give you tons rope after just having won a championship and you have established familiarity with the players, staff and GM and realistically, can do things how you want.

As far as Staios, he's been pretty clear he's staying in Hamilton but lets all be honest, if an NHL job like this comes along, sure Staios would take it. As an organization though, if you're issue is the NHL keeps pillaging your staff due to a proven track record of success, that's not exactly a negative for the franchise as a whole.

I'm more so surprised how quick you've gone from "Staios's job is in Jeopardy" to "Staios is highly coveted, how long before the NHL comes knocking.

Regardless though, forum banter aside. Good for Gruden. Our loss is the Islander's gain.

You would think Matsos gets the Head Coach Position?

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Hey everyone! Wolves fan here! I was just wondering who you guys are hoping for OAs? And if there is a realistic chance that the wolves could get ahold of Stillman?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Steve is the President as well as GM and he grew up in Hamilton. The right job offer with the right team, money and term would be tempting I am sure but he needs to build his resume a bit more to get a sniff at that.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Why would you want Stillman your team not a contender next season.

Because you want to build as much of a win buffer before the deadline that you can before dealing him, or the fact that he's a sought after defensemen who should be worth some solid picks. The question I would ask is I believe his trade gave up conditional picks, so will those conditional picks outweigh what you can get for him?

You would think Matsos gets the Head Coach Position?

Unless you have someone already lined up, and Gruden let management know in advance of the announcement I think you do. You don't have a lot of time before camps start and you still have some vets coming back that could make a major system change problematic. I think you give it to him if he wants it, and run with it. If it doesn't work out, you will be rebuilding next season anyways so it's the perfect time to start from scratch, if he does then you can cement him for a couple years, barring scandal.

Reactions: cub

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Because you want to build as much of a win buffer before the deadline that you can before dealing him, or the fact that he's a sought after defensemen who should be worth some solid picks. The question I would ask is I believe his trade gave up conditional picks, so will those conditional picks outweigh what you can get for him?

Stillman signed his ELC with Florida, he won't be back in the OHL

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Stillman signed his ELC with Florida, he won't be back in the OHL
Stillman likely to leave isn't just because he signed an ELC, but he's of age to play in the AHL (20 years old), plays well enough that he's ready to take the next step. Caamano, Bitten, Studenic, and Fulcher are also signed and eligible as well. The first 3 I'd expect will also be gone, Fulcher is a question mark as goalies generally are given more time. He could be OHL, AHL, or ECHL.

Thomas, Entwistle, and Strome are also signed to ELCs but are not eligible to play in the AHL because they will be 19 at the start of the AHL season. Therefore, their options are OHL or NHL.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Stillman likely to leave isn't just because he signed an ELC, but he's of age to play in the AHL (20 years old), plays well enough that he's ready to take the next step. Caamano, Bitten, Studenic, and Fulcher are also signed and eligible as well. The first 3 I'd expect will also be gone, Fulcher is a question mark as goalies generally are given more time. He could be OHL, AHL, or ECHL.

Thomas, Entwistle, and Strome are also signed to ELCs but are not eligible to play in the AHL because they will be 19 at the start of the AHL season. Therefore, their options are OHL or NHL.

No offence, but it's 100% because he signed his ELC. He isn't allowed to play in the AHL if he didn't sign it lol. The second a guy signs it, he's 95% gone to ECHL/AHL for his OA season (barring an injuy that gets him sent back). NHL teams only sign guys to it when they know they'll be good enough for pro hockey in their 20 year old season

Also Fulcher will not be back. He's done all he can do in the OHL

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Good for John Gruden to get hired by the Islanders. Really happy for him. Rather than seeing this as a negative that Hamilton is losing it's coach, I see it as a positive for Hamilton's reputation that they provide the tools that coaches and players need to develop and win. The CHL is more than just a development league for players, but for all staff (coaches, management, front office staff, scouts, and officials). For Gruden, this is an opportunity for him to coach alongside Barry Trotz, who just won the Stanley Cup in Washington, and work under Islanders' GM, Lou Lamoriello? Good for John, and I'm thankful that Hamilton had him as a coach for 2 years.

Going forward I think Dave Matsos or Vince Laise will be promoted to head coach, unless Staios has someone outside of the organization in mind. Both guys already know and understand the players who are returning for the next season. Matsos already has OHL head coaching experience from Sudbury, while Laise was an assistant in Erie during the Otters' playoff runs during the development of players like McDavid, Strome, DeBrincat, Raddysh and more. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Laise was in charge of the forwards and special teams with Hamilton and Erie, and I believe Matsos was focused more on the defence in Hamilton.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
No offence, but it's 100% because he signed his ELC. He isn't allowed to play in the AHL if he didn't sign it lol. The second a guy signs it, he's 95% gone to ECHL/AHL for his OA season (barring an injuy that gets him sent back). NHL teams only sign guys to it when they know they'll be good enough for pro hockey in their 20 year old season

Also Fulcher will not be back. He's done all he can do in the OHL
No offence taken. I think you missed my point. I understand that to play in the AHL an ELC has to be signed (or an AHL contract, which many older AHLers have). However, I added that there is also the age requirement, which Stillman meets, which allows him to go to the AHL. This is why I used the examples of Entwistle, Strome, and Thomas who have also signed ELCs. They cannot play in the AHL this season because they will be under 20.

It's possible that Fulcher is gone, and yes, he has done all you can do in the OHL. However, this was his first season as the #1 goaltender for an entire year. This year he played 55 games plus all playoff and Memorial Cup games. Last year he played 43 games but once Dawson Carty came in, Fulcher's playing time was reduced considerably. Before last season he played 17 games. Goalies generally take longer to develop, and that extra OA year while having an ELC in the OHL, could be more beneficial than if the plan is to have him play limited minutes as a backup in the ECHL. If there's one thing Detroit has been known for, it's taking time to develop their prospects. Honestly, it won't surprise me whether he graduates or returns next season. I see benefits for him on both sides. I think he could be better off playing another season in the OHL and being traded to another contender, unless he has a shot at being the starter in the ECHL.

Not that I know anything about most of these goalies, but here is the Red Wings goalie depth, who Fulcher is competing against:

AHL
Harri Sateri
Patrik Rybár

ECHL (last year's goalies, no idea who's signed for 2018-19)
Pat Nagle
Matej Machovsky

Other prospects in the system:
Joren van Pottelberghe (21 years old, last played for HC Davos)
Chase Perry (22 years old, last played NCAA)
Victor Brattström (21 years old, last played in SHL)
Filip Larsson (19 years old, last played NCAA)
Kaden Fulcher (20 years old, last played OHL)
Keith Petruzzelli (19 years old, last played NCAA)
Jesper Eliasson (18 years old, last played Swedish Super Elite)

Fulcher is the only goalie listed among players "in the system" who is signed, but Detroit also currently has 9 contract spots remaining. 1 or 2 goalies could easily go to goalie prospects listed above.

Correction: Entwistle is not yet signed. No doubt in my mind that he will eventually be though.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I believe Davis Young is the only 2nd round pick unsigned (with exception to Power and Barnes with US commitments). Any word on what he will be doing this season? Potentially going NCAA route as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad