Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Maybe the deal that they want hasn't been there though? If it hasn't they might as well wait it out.

Reactions: dirty12

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If GMs share the feeling of some fans on these boards that London & Ottawa are by far the best teams already, there will be too many sellers come January to get good value. Saigeon will definitely command a few good picks; but, Entswhile may not & Strome will not be in the top 1-4 players that will net an ‘02 1st. Hamilton just might want to sell now to avoid the risk of surplus players at the deadline.
I think there will still be more buyers other teams won't sit back and just let Ottawa and London walk into the finals.

I wouldn't expect an '02 first for Strome but maybe they could get one for someone like Entwistle, who I think may have the most value outside of Kaliyev. With Saigeon being an OA, I really have no clue what kind of value they could get for him. However, he would be among the top OAs available.

Kaliyev would have the most value of anyone on the team. If he gets traded, then I'd expect a lot for him. He's an elite goal scorer and is continuing to develop. If another team managed to acquire him, they could flip him to another team next season and get most of their investment back... because there's hardly much chance he will be in the NHL after the draft.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
So 34 players have been invited to the Selection Camp for Canada and I think only 22 make the final roster. Do you guys think Entwistle will be on the team this year? I'd go nuts if he plays in the tournament. There are a lot of big name players that he's competing against for a roster spot but in my biased opinion, I think he's got a great chance to represent Canada

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
So 34 players have been invited to the Selection Camp for Canada and I think only 22 make the final roster. Do you guys think Entwistle will be on the team this year? I'd go nuts if he plays in the tournament. There are a lot of big name players that he's competing against for a roster spot but in my biased opinion, I think he's got a great chance to represent Canada

Personally, I'll be surprised if he makes it, but I really hope that he does. I've spoken with him a few times and he just seems like a really good kid. He carries himself well on the ice as well. I'm not sure that he has enough offense in his game to make it though. He does have an excellent 2 way game so hopefully they will see that as a need.

I would absolutely love to cheer him on at the World Jrs.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I hope he makes it but I think he'll be right on the fringe. No doubt about it, it will be tough for him to crack the roster but one thing he has going for him (other than a strong 2-way game and penalty killing) is that almost every time he's worn a Team Canada jersey, or when he played in the first top prospects game, he showed up and delivered on the scoresheet. Those performances probably helped him get the invite.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think he has a real good shot. Every team needs this type of player and his play on the Junior hockey stage at the Memorial Cup showed what he can bring. Would not shock me at all to see him there.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I would think Oshawa, Sudbury and the Soo would be in the market this year. Sudbury especially since they are neck and neck with Niagara for the division.
We may end up not being sellers, but we don't have much left to trade in order to be considered buyers...

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Donofrio starting again for the 3rd game in 4--and Ali returns. Jenkins a healthy scratch..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs up 2-1 on goals by Mattinen and Mutter--and they have peppered Hunter Jones with shots.. Petes have been slow tonight..getting badly outshot by the Bulldogs.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
3-3 in the 3rd as Mattinen adds another power-play goal(2nd of the night). Can the Bulldogs hold the fort and get a goal and steal a game in Peterborough? They need all the points they can get to get back in contention..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good news--Bulldogs got a point.

Bad news--they handed 2 points to the Petes, as the Bulldogs lose in OT 4-3.

Donofrio blocked 32 of 36 shots in the loss and kept the Petes at bay.. but gave up the game winner to Nick Robertson. We'll see if Matsos stays with him on Saturday.. considering Roy has hit the rookie wall and needs a break.

hammer4424

Sep 28, 2018
The rookie wall? Donofrio allows 4 on 36 vs Peterborough, Roy allows 5 on 41 vs the high powered Niagara team, but hits a wall?

Reactions: Rounder8

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015

Donofrio starting again as Matsos has no confidence in Roy right now, Morrison/Renwick still out, Jenkins playing as a forward.

And regarding Roy hitting the rookie wall--giving up 4+ goals in 4 of his last 5 starts is part of the problem. Also, the Bulldogs are trying to catch Peterborough, Missy, or Barrie in the standings--there's no time for them to throw Roy out there to sink or swim for development purposes--as the team is basically in WIN NOW mode especially considering they have several players graduating and no idea on Kaliyev's long term future.. basically, they're in no man's land--not elite enough to catch Ottawa, but not bad enough like Kingston and North Bay or this Flint team.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Donofrio starting again as Matsos has no confidence in Roy right now, Morrison/Renwick still out, Jenkins playing as a forward.
This rumour spreading has really become ridiculous. Unless you have a quote from a coach or player, you have no facts about the coach's confidence level. It's certainly not fair to the player or coach when you don't know the actual situation and decide to spread unfounded rumours.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Apparently the Bulldogs are playing down to the competition--down 1-0 to freaking Flint after 1! Only 2 shots on Striling native Evan Morrison (who's making his OHL debut today).

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
This rumour spreading has really become ridiculous. Unless you have a quote from a coach or player, you have no facts about the coach's confidence level. It's certainly not fair to the player or coach when you don't know the actual situation and decide to spread unfounded rumours.

It's not helping that the team is trying to build Donofrio's value if they do decide to sell--plus right now, Matsos must feel Nick gives the team the best chance to win, because Roy sure isn't doing it right now--giving up 4-5 goals/game when trying to compete for a high playoff spot and having a better option right now, means Matsos has no choice but to reduce him to backup duty. Why do you think Donofrio has received 4 of the last 5 starts?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Better play in the 2nd period for Hamilton--but only 1 goal to show for it, tied 1-1 after 2. Entwistle with a goal. You'd think the Bulldogs would be blowing out Flint.. but Evan Morrison has stood his own, stopping 13 of 14 shots..

Hopefully they'll show some more energy in the 3rd--no way the Bulldogs should be tied with a 3 win Flint team..

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
It's not helping that the team is trying to build Donofrio's value if they do decide to sell--plus right now, Matsos must feel Nick gives the team the best chance to win, because Roy sure isn't doing it right now--giving up 4-5 goals/game when trying to compete for a high playoff spot and having a better option right now, means Matsos has no choice but to reduce him to backup duty. Why do you think Donofrio has received 4 of the last 5 starts?
You're really not getting it. Again, you're making assmptions and talk like your assumptions are facts.

It's best to just say Donofrio starts tonight. Leave out the Matsos has no confidence in blah blah blah. Like I said, it's not fair to the player or coach. You're making unfounded rumours about a player and the coach's opinion of the player, and you're putting words in the coach's mouth with no quote to provide.

Reactions: Hammer9001

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs win 4-2 as Kaliyev adds an empty-netter to seal the deal. But this was way closer than it should've been--but the Bulldogs couldn't get much past rookie Evan Morrison and the Firebirds D..

Entwistle 2G, 1A (1st Star)
Saigeon 1G, 1A
Kaliyev 1G, 3A
Strome 2A
Landry 1A
Donofrio 21 saves, 2nd star

3 power play goals

Bring on the Battalion.. chance for a 5 out of 6 point weekend. Hopefully they'll be more ready to play tomorrow.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
You're really not getting it. Again, you're making assmptions and talk like your assumptions are facts.

It's best to just say Donofrio starts tonight. Leave out the Matsos has no confidence in blah blah blah. Like I said, it's not fair to the player or coach. You're making unfounded rumours about a player and the coach's opinion of the player, and you're putting words in the coach's mouth with no quote to provide.

100% agree.

Reactions: Hammer9001

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
My apologies for any comments I've said that might be construed as rumor. I'll try to be more careful in what I say..

Anyway, North Bay today--hopefully Zachary Roy starts today, though because it's not 3 games in 3 nights--reasonable chance Matsos sticks with Donofrio, as he's 3-0-1 in his last 4 starts.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
And as I expected, Donofrio gets a 3rd straight start--and is shutting out the Troops 4-0. Zachary Roy will get a start next weekend most likely--as it is 3 games in 3 nights (Oshawa, Niagara, Soo).

Kaliyev having another big game, with 4 points (2G, 2A), Strome with 2 points, and Fleischer even adding a goal.

Onto the 3rd..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad