Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs win! Matt Strome adds a goal in the 3rd to give Hamilton a 5-1 win.

Conor Ali got his 1st point of the season, finally.

Busy week coming up for the team.. with the Christmas trade freeze approaching, will Staios make a move to upgrade the roster, sell off, or hold off until January at the trade deadline?

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Strong effort from the boys today. Good to see Strome get a couple of goals. Some bad penalties by North Bay let Hamilton pull away.

Nathan Brazeau is a stud. Not often you see that kind of size and skill.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Bulldogs win! Matt Strome adds a goal in the 3rd to give Hamilton a 5-1 win.

Conor Ali got his 1st point of the season, finally.

Busy week coming up for the team.. with the Christmas trade freeze approaching, will Staios make a move to upgrade the roster, sell off, or hold off until January at the trade deadline?

I don't think Staios is going to upgrade the roster, as there's nothing in the cupboard to trade to make said upgrade. I would expect he's waiting to see how the team does against Niagara, Oshawa, Soo and two games against Guelph before deciding. I mean that stint is not one I'd try my hand at with a depleted roster unless someone is ponying up a lot, and how the Bulldogs do, could show if they could pull a playoff upset. Everyone on that list is a league leader, and if the team can't pull out a couple against them, what's the expectation against them if the team does make the playoffs? Yes, the rest of the division shows parity and is leveling out with Peterborough, Mississauga and Barrie coming down to where most expected them to be this year, so you now have a shot at making a playoff run. However, fundamentally, if you get stone walled by all these top teams now (some of which haven't yet loaded up) do you really expect to sneak past them in the first or second round after they've all loaded up? That said, if you can produce some wins against the top teams (as opposed to feeding on Flint, North Bay and Windsor who are at the bottom of the pack) there is a case that maybe you can secure that 4-6 spot and make a fun little run and upset some names.

That said, I still think it would be a mistake not to sell. Even if you aren't expecting the upcoming drafts to be very impressive, you need to restock the cupboard at some point, and you aren't likely going to be able to next year (apart from Kaliyev). I mean, you are now 8 points up on North Bay who I would presume is going to deal Brazeau and 11 up on Kingston who has already dealt their top guys. No one is expecting Hamilton to be back in the Finals this year (especially with how Ottawa is looking now) and you've built a bit of a lead you can try to keep. Obviously more gravy before the deadline is preferred, so I think you keep your guys till the wire regardless of the outcome and sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Agreed.

Try to build a bit of a cushion before dealing. We can talk about trades all we want, but it is still a business and I'm sure they could use the revenue from a few playoff games. Especially when attendance has been so disappointing.

Reactions: digiblader

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Agreed.

Try to build a bit of a cushion before dealing. We can talk about trades all we want, but it is still a business and I'm sure they could use the revenue from a few playoff games. Especially when attendance has been so disappointing.

Sure, here's the thing though. Attendance for said playoffs are going to be a mixed bag unless you draw Niagara, or maybe Oshawa. I don't expect much attendance for an 8th round squeak in against the 67's or the Wolves. I mean, few are making that drive and the local crowd tends to favor the teams nearby. That said, I think it's a different story if Hamilton gets the 7 or 6 spot and plays Niagara. I think there is a lot more local interest and away presence that makes that game a lot more lucrative. Oshawa too, albeit nowhere near as much as Niagara.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Interested to know if you guy think both Saigeon and Entwistle will be moved by the deadline? They would be a nice fit in london :thumbu:

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Interested to know if you guy think both Saigeon and Entwistle will be moved by the deadline? They would be a nice fit in london :thumbu:
I think it’s only a matter of time til we find out. As if London needed anymore talent though

Sounds like an easy championship title to me if they were to pick up those two. I wonder if Strome is in the talks for a trade

Reactions: TheCoach

three dog night

May 3, 2014
K cup round four Thursday night an Ice Dogs win in regulation clinch a tie for the cup any fans coming down weather should be better than Hamilton last visit.

Reactions: Hammer9001

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
I think it's likely that at least one of them will be traded by the deadline, and it wouldn't surprise me if both are. Where would you see them fitting into London's lines?
Saigeon could be in top 6 give the knights a solid three pairings and help the PP

Entwistle could play top 6 he would add size upfront aswell as help the PP

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Saigeon could be in top 6 give the knights a solid three pairings and help the PP

Entwistle could play top 6 he would add size upfront aswell as help the PP
Ok, thanks. I tried looking a bit to see what London's line combos have generally been but haven't seen something on the Knights' board or on twitter. Is there someone who usually posts London's lines?

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Ok, thanks. I tried looking a bit to see what London's line combos have generally been but haven't seen something on the Knights' board or on twitter. Is there someone who usually posts London's lines?
Top 6 is usually Formenton cotter Foudy line second line Dunkley McMichael and Guskov/Nelson

Entwistle could replace Guskov/Nelson

Reactions: Canadian Game

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I still think somebody will look at Mattinen. He is having a really good season and would be a very nice pickup for a playoff team. I shudder to think what our D will look like if he's traded, but it is what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad