Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Burnell is no longer listed on the OHL Bulldogs site.
That's strange. They continue to list him as a scratch (16).

Maybe he's not on the website because he has zero games played this season? Or maybe he's not technically part of the roster and they continue to list him as a good gesture because of his injury issues? Not sure if other teams do this or not.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
I didn't see today's game but overall I think Stevens is a decent depth veteran player for this season. If anything, I wonder about Burnell who's been injured all season. I think it would be wise to place him on waivers, like they did with Templeton a year ago, to open up an OA spot for another veteran forward since there's a good chance of 2 or 3 top forwards being traded.
And we have yet to see Murray play a game this season I believe

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I forgot all about Murray. So that's 2 players that have yet to play a game this year. Are they both concussion related?

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
I forgot all about Murray. So that's 2 players that have yet to play a game this year. Are they both concussion related?
I know Burnell was having issues with concussions last year, it may be the same this season. I'm not too sure about Murray though. Two good kids, its unfortunate they aren't in the lineup

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
(Disclaimer: I'm usually on the Erie & Niagara boards here. Be gentle. :popcorn:)

Quick question: Can someone brief me on plans for a new arena for the Bulldogs?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
(Disclaimer: I'm usually on the Erie & Niagara boards here. Be gentle. :popcorn:)

Quick question: Can someone brief me on plans for a new arena for the Bulldogs?

No new arena talks--but Branch might start warning about relocation soon, just like what happened in Belleville, where this team moved from--FirstOntario is potentially in worse shape than CAA Arena (formerly Yardmen Arena) at the time in 2015:

Downtown hockey arena needs millions in repairs: is it worth it?

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
No new arena talks--but Branch might start warning about relocation soon, just like what happened in Belleville, where this team moved from--FirstOntario is potentially in worse shape than CAA Arena (formerly Yardmen Arena) at the time in 2015:

Downtown hockey arena needs millions in repairs: is it worth it?

OK...just wanted some clarification. I was at the IceDogs/Bulldogs game yesterday and someone I was talking to(in a Bulldogs jersey)said that they were looking at a site in the vicinity of the Lime Ridge Mall(as the story you linked to mentioned).

And, yes, I agree...the FOC is a LOUSY arena. I've been to 17 of the 20 OHL arenas(Flint, Sarnia & Kingston are the lone holdouts)and that is the worst one I've been in. And it's Not. EVEN. Close.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
OK...just wanted some clarification. I was at the IceDogs/Bulldogs game yesterday and someone I was talking to(in a Bulldogs jersey)said that they were looking at a site in the vicinity of the Lime Ridge Mall(as the story you linked to mentioned).

And, yes, I agree...the FOC is a LOUSY arena. I've been to 17 of the 20 OHL arenas(Flint, Sarnia & Kingston are the lone holdouts)and that is the worst one I've been in. And it's Not. EVEN. Close.
Clarify what you find lousy about it

Besides the obvious having too many seats

Last edited:

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

I very much disagree with this one. I've been to 11, and was far less impressed with Barrie, Ottawa and Mississauga. I mean, apart from way too many seats (which does give you ample leg room, but kills the atmosphere) and an older scoreboard, I don't really have much of a problem with the old girl. The concessions are incredibly quick (and Smoke's is a great addition), the bathroom access is instantaneous, the ice is visible from the concourse which even when busy, moves well.

It's great when it's full, the problem is that it's rarely full, I mean...you can almost fit the entire population of Owen Sound into the First Ontario Centre. It's just too big and is costing the city way too much to maintain as a result.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Just to give some more details of what FOC needs just to stay open:

$7.3 million
2019-2021: To replace antifreeze lines under the rink, shrink the ice footprint from Olympic to OHL size, add a backup generator to avoid ice plant safety risk;
$7 million
2021: To replace arena roof and rehabilitate other structural problems;
$15 million
2022-2023: Heating system repairs, generators, fire protection and security systems, communication and sound systems
$5 million
2024: Upgrades to meet accessibility requirements, other modernization needs.

It's very likely David Branch will not wait for the city to pay for renos to FirstOntario Centre considering the condition of the arena--they had 4 years to make plans for renos or a new arena when the team moved to Hamilton--FOC is now at the point it needs a major renovation or replacement or they risk losing their main tenant to another city.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
I very much disagree with this one. I've been to 11, and was far less impressed with Barrie, Ottawa and Mississauga. I mean, apart from way too many seats (which does give you ample leg room, but kills the atmosphere) and an older scoreboard, I don't really have much of a problem with the old girl. The concessions are incredibly quick (and Smoke's is a great addition), the bathroom access is instantaneous, the ice is visible from the concourse which even when busy, moves well.

It's great when it's full, the problem is that it's rarely full, I mean...you can almost fit the entire population of Owen Sound into the First Ontario Centre. It's just too big and is costing the city way too much to maintain as a result.
Zero atmosphere, slope of the seating makes you feel far from the ice, scoreboard is terrible by today's standards. But, I do like how close it is to Niagara...easy roadie!

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Windsor has dealt Michael DiPietro to Ottawa which will make Ottawa even tougher to beat now.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Windsor has dealt Michael DiPietro to Ottawa which will make Ottawa even tougher to beat now.

And it increases the necessity for Staios to sell NOW.. not wait till January. Without a major selloff by the deadline, Bulldogs risk being very bad next year with few young players or draft picks--with no guarantee Kaliyev will even return, as he's currently projected as a potential Top 10 pick..

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
And it increases the necessity for Staios to sell NOW.. not wait till January. Without a major selloff by the deadline, Bulldogs risk being very bad next year with few young players or draft picks--with no guarantee Kaliyev will even return, as he's currently projected as a potential Top 10 pick..
I'm curious, why do you think Hamilton should sell NOW? Why do you think everyone should be impulsively be offloaded today? What is your logic here? Why not wait until after Christmas like many deadline deals?

Reactions: Rounder8

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I'm curious, why do you think Hamilton should sell NOW? Why do you think everyone should be impulsively be offloaded today? What is your logic here? Why not wait until after Christmas like many deadline deals?

Because at this point, the Bulldogs are unlikely to get a top seed, as they're 9 points back of home ice, and are a team that needs to unload veterans ASAP and undergo a full-blown rebuild, because after this season, Strome, Entwistle, Saigeon all graduate to the pros, plus there's a non-zero chance they lose Kaliyev to the NHL, as he's currently projected as a potential top 10 pick.

In addition, the team is depleted of assets from last year's championship--they have only one 2nd rounder(2020) until 2025 (assuming Thomas stays in St. Louis, almost a certainty now) and their young talent either haven't developed due to injuries + Matsos unwilling to give minutes (Renwick, Morrison, Jenkins) or have been dealt to other teams (Gordeev, McMichael, Roberts, McCourt). Look at their scoring--it's all from veterans(98s and 99s) and Kaliyev)--there has been little scoring depth from their 2000-02 pieces..

But considering their record right now--Bulldogs are in no-man's land. Not good enough to make a deep run, not good enough to be a championship team, and facing a massive plummet next year, with no 2nd rounder, losing all of their vets to graduation, and in need of an infusion of decent young talent--which as shown this season, has been lacking.

Reactions: three dog night

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Because at this point, the Bulldogs are unlikely to get a top seed, as they're 9 points back of home ice, and are a team that needs to unload veterans ASAP and undergo a full-blown rebuild, because after this season, Strome, Entwistle, Saigeon all graduate to the pros, plus there's a non-zero chance they lose Kaliyev to the NHL, as he's currently projected as a potential top 10 pick.

In addition, the team is depleted of assets from last year's championship--they have only one 2nd rounder(2020) until 2025 (assuming Thomas stays in St. Louis, almost a certainty now) and their young talent either haven't developed due to injuries + Matsos unwilling to give minutes (Renwick, Morrison, Jenkins) or have been dealt to other teams (Gordeev, McMichael, Roberts, McCourt). Look at their scoring--it's all from veterans(98s and 99s) and Kaliyev)--there has been little scoring depth from their 2000-02 pieces..

But considering their record right now--Bulldogs are in no-man's land. Not good enough to make a deep run, not good enough to be a championship team, and facing a massive plummet next year, with no 2nd rounder, losing all of their vets to graduation, and in need of an infusion of decent young talent--which as shown this season, has been lacking.
I agree that Hamilton should be sellers. My question though is, "why does Hamilton need to sell right now?". If I understand the your reasoning (correct me if I'm wrong), Hamilton should immediately trade top players who would bring the biggest returns to acquire players who can help fill in for young talent who haven't developed due to injuries and to re-stock their draft pick cupboard. Your initial point of Hamilton's position in the standings doesn't really answer why they should trade immediately. The team's position is a reason to make the trades this season but when Jason Robertson and Mike DiPietro were traded, you were adamant that Hamilton should trade its' top players right away.

When trading a top players to help build for the future, I don't think support players for lower lines should be part of the focus in the return. If a depth player gets added in the trade, awesome. But depth players can be acquired for mid to late picks in other trades. The top priority should be to acquire picks and young prospects, and acquire a player from the other team who can fill a spot on the top lines (to a lesser degree of the traded player). Before filling depth roles, I think Staios should fill the hole that was created on a top line from trading a top player. If Hamilton traded most of their top forwards and only focused on depth players to support rookies, who's going to fill roles on lines 1 and 2 aside from someone like Isaac Nurse? For most players on the 3rd and 4th lines, I don't think it wouldn't make sense to move them up to fill vacant spots on the top 2 lines.

The main reason why I could understand it being ideal to trade top guys now, is to trade guys while they're healthy. If someone gets hurt with a long-term injury between now and then, their value is gone and they could be gone to the pros or university with no return. However, you haven't mentioned this as a reason for urgency today or in the past few weeks. As history shows though, GMs are often willing to hang onto their top players and bear the risk of injury until after the Christmas trade freeze anyway. Additionally, we've also seen that the demand for these players remains until the deadline. A big advantage to waiting until after Christmas, is that 16 year old first rounders can be traded/acquired in a very short trade window, just like when Hamilton traded McMichael in the trade for Robert Thomas. Could Hamilton use a 16 year old first rounder for their rebuild? Most definitely. Another advantage to acquiring a 16 year old rookie is that (unlike draft picks) Hamilton's scouts (and Staios) have been able to see how rookies have already adjusted to the OHL in half a season, and the players have already committed to the OHL.

In my opinion, there's little reason to impulsively trade the highest value players now. If the right offer comes around, then Hamilton should take it. However, I think there's good reason to be patient and see what happens after the Christmas trade freeze.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
They should trade whenever they feel that they can make the best deal. If that's now, then so be it. I don't think that they HAVE to though. Why rush a trade if you think that you can do better later. Of course there are risks, but they need to do whatever they feel is best

And in my opinion, there is ZERO chance that Kaliyev is in the NHL next season. He's a good player, but nowhere near on that level. He has way to many holes in his game still.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree that Hamilton should be sellers. My question though is, "why does Hamilton need to sell right now?". If I understand the your reasoning (correct me if I'm wrong), Hamilton should immediately trade top players who would bring the biggest returns to acquire players who can help fill in for young talent who haven't developed due to injuries and to re-stock their draft pick cupboard. Your initial point of Hamilton's position in the standings doesn't really answer why they should trade immediately. The team's position is a reason to make the trades this season but when Jason Robertson and Mike DiPietro were traded, you were adamant that Hamilton should trade its' top players right away.

When trading a top players to help build for the future, I don't think support players for lower lines should be part of the focus in the return. If a depth player gets added in the trade, awesome. But depth players can be acquired for mid to late picks in other trades. The top priority should be to acquire picks and young prospects, and acquire a player from the other team who can fill a spot on the top lines (to a lesser degree of the traded player). Before filling depth roles, I think Staios should fill the hole that was created on a top line from trading a top player. If Hamilton traded most of their top forwards and only focused on depth players to support rookies, who's going to fill roles on lines 1 and 2 aside from someone like Isaac Nurse? For most players on the 3rd and 4th lines, I don't think it wouldn't make sense to move them up to fill vacant spots on the top 2 lines.

The main reason why I could understand it being ideal to trade top guys now, is to trade guys while they're healthy. If someone gets hurt with a long-term injury between now and then, their value is gone and they could be gone to the pros or university with no return. However, you haven't mentioned this as a reason for urgency today or in the past few weeks. As history shows though, GMs are often willing to hang onto their top players and bear the risk of injury until after the Christmas trade freeze anyway. Additionally, we've also seen that the demand for these players remains until the deadline. A big advantage to waiting until after Christmas, is that 16 year old first rounders can be traded/acquired in a very short trade window, just like when Hamilton traded McMichael in the trade for Robert Thomas. Could Hamilton use a 16 year old first rounder for their rebuild? Most definitely. Another advantage to acquiring a 16 year old rookie is that (unlike draft picks) Hamilton's scouts (and Staios) have been able to see how rookies have already adjusted to the OHL in half a season, and the players have already committed to the OHL.

In my opinion, there's little reason to impulsively trade the highest value players now. If the right offer comes around, then Hamilton should take it. However, I think there's good reason to be patient and see what happens after the Christmas trade freeze.

If GMs share the feeling of some fans on these boards that London & Ottawa are by far the best teams already, there will be too many sellers come January to get good value. Saigeon will definitely command a few good picks; but, Entswhile may not & Strome will not be in the top 1-4 players that will net an ‘02 1st. Hamilton just might want to sell now to avoid the risk of surplus players at the deadline.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
If GMs share the feeling of some fans on these boards that London & Ottawa are by far the best teams already, there will be too many sellers come January to get good value. Saigeon will definitely command a few good picks; but, Entswhile may not & Strome will not be in the top 1-4 players that will net an ‘02 1st. Hamilton just might want to sell now to avoid the risk of surplus players at the deadline.

Solid points, BUT was there a more sure thing than the Soo last season? We know how that turned out. It wasn't just Hamilton either. They had a few tough series. Anything can and usually does happen in Jr hockey.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Solid points, BUT was there a more sure thing than the Soo last season? We know how that turned out. It wasn't just Hamilton either. They had a few tough series. Anything can and usually does happen in Jr hockey.

I agree. I believe there will be a half dozen buyers. I was just putting forward a what if scenario ... what if Gens, hounds, attack, Missy, NB ... all decide to sell along with bulldogs, Fronts, and spits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad