Hamilton Bulldogs 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
I don't disagree, his greatest two weaknesses to me just seem to be his speed (which may come with age) and his tendency (but more likely coaching instruction) to cherry pick the blue line. Other then that, completely see him becoming a force.

You have to commend the head coach for playing a rookie on his top line and first PP for half the season, this has certainly helped Strome, but I wonder if he hasn't put all his eggs in one basket and somewhat neglected some of the other players?? You're not gonna get far moving forward only developing one player each year.

inthehammer

Jul 20, 2005
Hamilton
You have to commend the head coach for playing a rookie on his top line and first PP for half the season, this has certainly helped Strome, but I wonder if he hasn't put all his eggs in one basket and somewhat neglected some of the other players?? You're not gonna get far moving forward only developing one player each year.

You're kidding yourself if you think Entwistle hasn't developed also.

maldo

Feb 21, 2012
You're kidding yourself if you think Entwistle hasn't developed also.

A lot of them have developed as well should...its too bad Saigeon got hurt and missed so many games...he was starting to come along nicely like Strome and dont be surprised if these two arent in the top ten in scoring next year.In fact they may have four in the top 20 or 25.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Today is finally here.. Make it or break it..

Win today and we still have a shot.. Lose and we go 4th overall in OHL draft since flint won't pass us.. Also looking at 10/11th in CHL import draft hopefully we can get a nice crafty forward.. Also is this the last time we see Burnett behind the bench tn and tm

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Today is finally here.. Make it or break it..

Win today and we still have a shot.. Lose and we go 4th overall in OHL draft since flint won't pass us.. Also looking at 10/11th in CHL import draft hopefully we can get a nice crafty forward.. Also is this the last time we see Burnett behind the bench tn and tm

If you lose to Sudbury tonight you deserve to not to make the playoffs and as far as Burnette goes he got more than 9 lives

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
strome - petti - luff
crammer - laish-entw
Hidi - Kutke - fox
morris-mendonca-krassey

gleason - walters
saban-Lemcke
kachyna-hanley

hicks in goal

Matt Holmes just tweeted the lines

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
That was a pretty good game tonight. The forecheck, while lapsing at times, seemed better than it has in the past few games. Hicks was solid. Lemcke and Fox? I don't know...they look like they have solid skills then seem to fall in to the laziest of plays. I really like Gleason. Seems to be my favourite D-man. Saban made some erratic plays.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Yes and no, I guess it depends on your coaching style.

In my eyes, the CHL is in the middle ground of between the cut-throat ice performance matters, we play this game to win, we pay you to do your job and do it well and if you don't we'll replace you mentality pro hockey has and the learn the skills, learn the life lessons, be athletic mentality, figure out your place in the team of youth hockey. In my eyes, being eased into that understanding at the time is important. The decision to jump into or back out of a potential pro-hockey career for a player is one of the most important decisions a player can make and they need to understand this is how it is, it only gets harder from here.

Thus, it's hard to wholly find fault with a coach giving players who perform better more ice time, like he clearly has with Strome and weaker players less. Do I think Strome is getting too much attention comparatively? No. Other players have developed (or perhaps had their development was stunted by the previous staff) as I've seen much improvement on the part of Luff, Cramarossa and Hicks. I mean, Hicks and Luff were both 7th round picks and now they are top line starters. Now granted Hicks kind of fell into it with Graham's trade, but I'd say for his second season in the league, he's doing well.

The issue I have with Burnett is his play calling and systems I don't like and have repeatability failed for us, but he seems to keep running them to the point of where they may become bad habits later on in a player's career. He frequently has a man up needlessly, he frequently has players camping on the blue line (Fox was the odd man this game), too often offence seems to stop when we are up by two in the 3rd, we seldom seem to be able to setup screens on the power play and while this last game didn't show it, slot aversion has been an ongoing problem this entire year, typically either getting their too late or not getting there to make a play on a rebound.

However as far as developing and improving players, I only have a few complaints. Specifically there's a lot of lazy passing going on the last three weeks in our end, a lot of just plain execution failures near the goal, but I blame that partly on the aforementioned slot aversion.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Exciting day in Hamilton.

The Jersey unveiling and I also became a season ticket holder for the 2016-2017 season today. I am really excited. I took in todays game and what a game it was.

Looking forward to meeting some new friends from the boards at the game in the near future!

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
They played with a confidence I have not seen all season. If this had been the way they played the most of the season, I don't think a playoff position would be in question. Hicks had a massive game and the D shutdown the Niagara forwards.

I look forward to the next season.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Big thanks to the Petes for ******** the bed in the 3rd tonight against Oshawa.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario

The Jersey unveiling and I also became a season ticket holder for the 2016-2017 season today. I am really excited. I took in todays game and what a game it was.

Looking forward to meeting some new friends from the boards at the game in the near future!

Welcome to the family.. I was a STH this yer for first time and loved it.. Officially a rink rat now lol time to follow them on the road and off season stuff since we don't have anything at the rink for 4 months

CYHM

Feb 4, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario

Welcome to the season ticket club!

CYHM

Feb 4, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario
Has anyone heard the rumours about the city talking about building a new arena I was told it was on 900chml a few weeks ago but I personally didn't hear it.. So I could be totally false

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Has anyone heard the rumours about the city talking about building a new arena I was told it was on 900chml a few weeks ago but I personally didn't hear it.. So I could be totally false

There was a rumor about a year and a half ago that McMaster was considering partnering with Andlauer on a new area on the campus because they were losing some enrollment to Guelph because Mac doesn't have a CIS hockey program and that was a deciding factor for some students. However nothing really came of that.

inthehammer

Jul 20, 2005
Hamilton

City Manager Chris Murray opened an audit to examine First Ontario Centre as a city asset this year. The results are yet to be published. They were supposed to consult all of the facility stakeholders, and you can imagine that Andlauer and Staios are pushing for a a decommission and re-build. This would be down the line though, like 5 years out. You have to believe they will be one of 10 or so teams bidding for the 2018 Centennial Memorial Cup, and want the building at full capacity.

The perfect type of facility would be one similar to the Budweiser Gardens in London, approximately 10 000 seats, with the option of expansion to 15 000 - 17 000 if an NHL team is ever re-located. The only problem is, where is there the urban footprint for an arena this size available? The answer is right across the street. John A. MacDonald school, which will need to be surplussed by the HWDSB. It will require a lot of backroom advocating to see this done, but in the end, it could prove to be a fantastic strategic plan by the city, the team and local community.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
They played with a confidence I have not seen all season. If this had been the way they played the most of the season, I don't think a playoff position would be in question. Hicks had a massive game and the D shutdown the Niagara forwards.

I look forward to the next season.

I wouldn't say the whole season, I mean we've had some pretty swagger filled away games and gutsy losses (London and Barrie games come to mind), but it certainly has been a season of short peaks and many valleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad