Hamilton Bulldogs 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
City Manager Chris Murray opened an audit to examine First Ontario Centre as a city asset this year. The results are yet to be published. They were supposed to consult all of the facility stakeholders, and you can imagine that Andlauer and Staios are pushing for a a decommission and re-build. This would be down the line though, like 5 years out. You have to believe they will be one of 10 or so teams bidding for the 2018 Centennial Memorial Cup, and want the building at full capacity.

The perfect type of facility would be one similar to the Budweiser Gardens in London, approximately 10 000 seats, with the option of expansion to 15 000 - 17 000 if an NHL team is ever re-located. The only problem is, where is there the urban footprint for an arena this size available? The answer is right across the street. John A. MacDonald school, which will need to be surplussed by the HWDSB. It will require a lot of backroom advocating to see this done, but in the end, it could prove to be a fantastic strategic plan by the city, the team and local community.

The main issue the First Ontario center has is that it does host events where the capacity gets reached or comes close to it. Mainly big concerts (like Black Sabbath), big events (like the Juno's) or larger events where retractable seats come in handy (like Trade Shows and Monster Trucks) and the city doesn't want to discard that potential function of the arena. The difference between a 10,000 seater and 15,000+ is substantial.

What I think the best best is to drastically rework/redo the seating so there's a lot more leg room and lot more seat width and you open up the concourse and put your (larger) private boxes on the second deck like most arenas, but somehow make them modular so they can be removed for higher capacity events. You also have the ability to use unused, boxes for camera mounts, and can more effectively curtain off the top.

Has to be cheaper to do then building a new arena.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Has to be cheaper to do then building a new arena.

I would think so; and...the last thing we need is another arena in the city competing with the one that we currently have. The one we currently have does an OK job with quite a few events; it just doesn't look like it when you're attending an OHL game.

CYHM

Feb 4, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario
City Manager Chris Murray opened an audit to examine First Ontario Centre as a city asset this year. The results are yet to be published. They were supposed to consult all of the facility stakeholders, and you can imagine that Andlauer and Staios are pushing for a a decommission and re-build. This would be down the line though, like 5 years out. You have to believe they will be one of 10 or so teams bidding for the 2018 Centennial Memorial Cup, and want the building at full capacity.

The perfect type of facility would be one similar to the Budweiser Gardens in London, approximately 10 000 seats, with the option of expansion to 15 000 - 17 000 if an NHL team is ever re-located. The only problem is, where is there the urban footprint for an arena this size available? The answer is right across the street. John A. MacDonald school, which will need to be surplussed by the HWDSB. It will require a lot of backroom advocating to see this done, but in the end, it could prove to be a fantastic strategic plan by the city, the team and local community.

i agree with the rebuild i dont see an NHL team coming to Hamilton any time soon and by the time we do FoC will be so out date (like it is now) so id rebuild FoC like you said 9,000-10,000 with optional Expansion. what about the space of land where they wanted to put Tim Hortons field. thats the only place that i could see them putting it. unless they rip down FoC and build on that land but where would the Bulldogs play while they rebuild it. another option which i dont know if possible is lower the roof on FoC and make it just the bottom bowl

inthehammer

Jul 20, 2005
Hamilton
Mississauga is currently tied with Oshawa 1-1 in the second period. Everyone start praying to whatever god you pray to, and your best rain dances.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
So Oshawa needs to lose out and we need to win out to make the playoffs. I should be mad, but I'm still so glad the team went with Black and Gold that I'm not.

So that's likely Burnett's 3rd unsuccessful season in a row, I'm willing to give rope because it was a new coaching staff and a move this year, but failure to make it to the second round next year or being bellow 6th in the conference at the half way point of the season I think would justify the axe.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
So Oshawa needs to lose out and we need to win out to make the playoffs. I should be mad, but I'm still so glad the team went with Black and Gold that I'm not.

So that's likely Burnett's 3rd unsuccessful season in a row, I'm willing to give rope because it was a new coaching staff and a move this year, but failure to make it to the second round next year or being bellow 6th in the conference at the half way point of the season I think would justify the axe.

I do not think he will ever be axed.

CYHM

Feb 4, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario

i dont see it happening, how much i hate Burnett, hes bulletproof. he will be back next year and we will all hate it...

maldo

Feb 21, 2012
whats with Oshawa beating everybody in sight the last 3 weeks !! They were supposed to lose to most of those teams and avoid us all this grief !!Does this mean theyre now a dark horse ??

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Well that's that. Despite not making the playoffs, I do think we'll be a lot more competitive next year. I think we have a lot of young players who will develop well. I think the new colours will further help draw more fans into the team. The burden of relocation is no longer present, nor the spectre of relocation so I'll see you guys next year at First Ontario. One last game in Kingston and one last hurrah for the fans in Belleville.

from1981

Jan 7, 2015
Well that's that. Despite not making the playoffs, I do think we'll be a lot more competitive next year. I think we have a lot of young players who will develop well. I think the new colours will further help draw more fans into the team. The burden of relocation is no longer present, nor the spectre of relocation so I'll see you guys next year at First Ontario. One last game in Kingston and one last hurrah for the fans in Belleville.

For me, probably one last look at former Bulls players tonight (at least those wearing Hamilton jerseys). When the finality of losing your team really sinks in, it's surprising how little you care if you see them play anymore. One last show of our Bulls jerseys against the old rival Frontenacs, and that will be it.
Sec. 107, Cramarossa and Subban jerseys in the house. Not expecting many Hammy fans to make the trip, but stop by and say hi if you do.

BTW, if you're making the trip to Kingston, stop at Napannee Fish and Chips on Jim Kimmett Blvd. just south of the 401, great halibut and chips.

During the playoffs this year and next season, we'll be Fronts fans, if anything.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
For me, probably one last look at former Bulls players tonight (at least those wearing Hamilton jerseys). When the finality of losing your team really sinks in, it's surprising how little you care if you see them play anymore. One last show of our Bulls jerseys against the old rival Frontenacs, and that will be it.
Sec. 107, Cramarossa and Subban jerseys in the house. Not expecting many Hammy fans to make the trip, but stop by and say hi if you do.

BTW, if you're making the trip to Kingston, stop at Napannee Fish and Chips on Jim Kimmett Blvd. just south of the 401, great halibut and chips.

During the playoffs this year and next season, we'll be Fronts fans, if anything.
You may be surprised. Obviously, the Bulls people will stand out more but some Bulldogs fans did make the trip to Ottawa last night and are going to Kingston.

Overall, we will continue going. Win or lose, we still enjoy watching the guys who played in Belleville, plus the guys who joined the team after the move. Luckily we've seen more wins than loses this season at the games we attended, and we saw some incredible wins too.

JV11

Mar 18, 2014
Wonder if George is moving Upstairs into the GM role.

Could be at the OHL Cup this weekend.

jdan1997

Aug 22, 2012
That's all she wrote for the 2015-2016 season. I wish we had postseason hockey to look forward to, but I think this will be an exciting group to see next year with Cramarossa, Morris, and Petti as the OAs as of now.

Looking forward to the draft and an offseason of strengthening.

See you all next season!

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Sounds like George was scouting, which was planned prior to this weekend.

Tough ending to this season although looking through other teams' rosters, current OAs, and next season OAs (1996s), the Bulldogs could be a pretty good team in the east next year...which is a big advantage to staying in the eastern conference.

For example:
Kingston's current OAs are Perissini, McGlynn, and Duchesne. 11 players are set to become OAs (Foegele, Verbeek, Steege, Caron, Dal Colle, Lammikko, Watson, Billitier, McKeown, Brown, Desrocher)
Barrie's current OAs are Labanc, Scott, and Webster. 7 players will become OAs (Goetz, Stefano, Sadowy, Mangiapane, Cordell, DiTomaso, Carrick).
Niagara's current OAs are Harper, Maletta, and DiFruscia. 11 guys who will become OAs (Perlini, Gillard, Jenys, Pastorious, Ho-Sang, Siebenaler, Wesley, Mantha, Haydon, Mikulovich, Nedeljkovic).
North Bay's current OAs are Santos, and Smith. 5 players will become Hargrave, Amadio, Harland, Wood, Kment).

Keep in mind that some of the players who are set to become OAs will move up to the AHL or NHL next season instead. Regardless, these teams will look much different next season and some may sell assets (much like Oshawa this season) to recoup picks and prospects for rebuilding.

Unless any of these teams decide to continue to keep pushing rather than trade assets to rebuild, I can see Peterborough, Ottawa, Mississauga, and Hamilton being among the better teams in the east next season. Hamilton still has some areas that need improving but this is what some of the other teams in the east are facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad