Hamilton Bulldogs 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't have 1st hand knowledge of the plans Mieritz & Kachyna have for next season so I hate to spread any disinformation but I will tell you what I do know.

Kachyna - Stayed in North America for the holidays instead of returning home to the Czech Republic. All signs point towards Kachyna trying to carve out a spot in North America, his english has improved, he's a great guy, works his rear end off. I think it's likely he's back.

Mieritz - Seems very happy in Hamilton, much like Kachyna has worked extremely hard to adjust to the North American game. Will be very interested to see what he looks like after the WJC where I thought he was very good for an overmatched Danish squad that nearly pulled off a HUGE upset.

Now again if both return the Bulldogs would have 11 D for next season (including Gordeev). One of those import spots could be very useful in bringing in an offensively talented forward & I could see either D being attractive to other teams with an open import spot.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
While the team has a bright future on defense, the issue is more how they will develop. 3 years since they went to a conference final, they've failed to develop talent. Right now, outside of Harper and Graham(and Harper was not developed by the Dogs), none of their talent would be valuable to any other teams in trades. The team needs an offensive-minded coach--and Burnett isn't it, who focuses too much on defense--why do you think he always trades for D-men?

After he inherited a strong team in 2005-2009, he has not been able to build a team with sustainable success, with significant issues developing offense, frequently trading young players and picks for offensive forwards. Even the 2013 team, despite going to the conference finals, had to pay a heavy price in picks and young players, which continues to hurt this team to this day.

And of course, there's no Malcom Subban/Mike Murphy/Kevin Lalande in the system coming--Hicks is awful and Donofrio is still questionable to even report to Hamilton, as he may decide to go the NCAA route.

The only way this team is going anywhere is a full blown rebuild with the young D, a new coach, and getting a young goaltender who will be there for many years and not a 1-year stopgap, along with drafting forwards who can score, getting as many picks as possible with the pieces they do have.. but with a coach who will actually help develop them. If you think Burnett's going to do it, you're wrong. Either they need to promote Troy Smith or hire somebody else.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Candella hasn't played in over a month. What's his estimated date of return?

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Candella hasn't played in over a month. What's his estimated date of return?

Duke... When i took my nephew to the season ticket holder skate with the team on Decemebr 16-20th one of the dates in december the game that we lost to Kingston cant remember if it was in overtime or shootout anyways he had a cast on his hand i believe from a blockshot don't quote me on it however i would assume a cast on his hand would require 6 weeks to heel now i have not broken my arm/hand so i am not sure what the recovery time is for that kind of injury.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
While the team has a bright future on defense, the issue is more how they will develop. 3 years since they went to a conference final, they've failed to develop talent. Right now, outside of Harper and Graham(and Harper was not developed by the Dogs), none of their talent would be valuable to any other teams in trades. The team needs an offensive-minded coach--and Burnett isn't it, who focuses too much on defense--why do you think he always trades for D-men?

After he inherited a strong team in 2005-2009, he has not been able to build a team with sustainable success, with significant issues developing offense, frequently trading young players and picks for offensive forwards. Even the 2013 team, despite going to the conference finals, had to pay a heavy price in picks and young players, which continues to hurt this team to this day.

And of course, there's no Malcom Subban/Mike Murphy/Kevin Lalande in the system coming--Hicks is awful and Donofrio is still questionable to even report to Hamilton, as he may decide to go the NCAA route.

The only way this team is going anywhere is a full blown rebuild with the young D, a new coach, and getting a young goaltender who will be there for many years and not a 1-year stopgap, along with drafting forwards who can score, getting as many picks as possible with the pieces they do have.. but with a coach who will actually help develop them. If you think Burnett's going to do it, you're wrong. Either they need to promote Troy Smith or hire somebody else.

Your point as far as Burnett goes i agree with my discussion with another fan the other day was either 2 things. a) Burnett either drops his title as HC and just stays on as GM and let Troy Smith take over as head coach as I thougth he did a godo job with kitchener before he left. I cant remember if he was an assistant or HC in kitchener, or option B is just let go of him all together and promote someone as GM and HC for the rest of the season.

Keep in mind i think their best bet is to let go of Burnett and hire a interm GM for now and then find a GM in the off-season..

Flint fired their GM today because of the GM/Owner disagreement about a trade. with the way this team has played if they dont continue to pick up wins i agree i cant see Burnett staying on beyond this season

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Cole Candella is roughly 2 weeks away.

Justin Lemcke we don't have a date on as of yet. We've been told his healing process has gone very well however.

This team definitely needs some more offensively gifted forwards. Big problem is a lot of teams are in that same market.

George will certainly have to be creative as the deadline comes but from getting to know him I certainly believe he can make it work. He's got great relationships around the league & his grasp of the game is incredible.

Plus his 2015 draft could be a turning point. Strome, Entwistle, Webb & Gordeev are all going to be really good players.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Your point as far as Burnett goes i agree with my discussion with another fan the other day was either 2 things. a) Burnett either drops his title as HC and just stays on as GM and let Troy Smith take over as head coach as I thougth he did a godo job with kitchener before he left. I cant remember if he was an assistant or HC in kitchener, or option B is just let go of him all together and promote someone as GM and HC for the rest of the season.

Keep in mind i think their best bet is to let go of Burnett and hire a interm GM for now and then find a GM in the off-season..

Flint fired their GM today because of the GM/Owner disagreement about a trade. with the way this team has played if they dont continue to pick up wins i agree i cant see Burnett staying on beyond this season

The problem is that Simmonds, who is the part owner with Andlauer, will likely block any move to fire Burnett. And Staios won't fire Burnett either.. he's already said no firings are coming.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Burnett discusses the OHL trade deadline:

https://soundcloud.com/am900chml/ho...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Beginning to think Harper and Graham will still be Dogs come this weekend.. he still thinks they can make the playoffs.. not realizing that his team is about to get manhandled by elite teams on their upcoming schedule, including tonight vs. Niagara. And Oshawa's not exactly giving up a playoff spot.. not certain on Ottawa though.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Well before tonight we have a game in hand on Oshawa and 4 pts back.. We lose tonight and Friday and Saturday vs Peres and Friday vs rangers we dig our selfs even deeper and will become sellers on monday

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If true, it's sad to see Harper go but it's the right move IMO. Good return for a guy who would be gone for nothing at the end of the year. All the best to Harper. Really enjoyed watching him in Belleville and Hamilton. He has really stepped up his game a lot this year from last year too.

This also gives more opportunity to forwards on other lines too since our most productive forward is gone.

Edit: It's confirmed

Last edited:

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
If true, it's sad to see Harper go but it's the right move IMO. Good return for a guy who would be gone for nothing at the end of the year. All the best to Harper. Really enjoyed watching him in Belleville and Hamilton. He has really stepped up his game a lot this year from last year too.

This also gives more opportunity to forwards on other lines too since our most productive forward is gone.

Evan Krassy
2 2nds
1 3rd
1 5th

Nice haul for the Dogs. Krassey is a monster physically, and thats a nice group of picks.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Evan Krassy
2 2nds
1 3rd
1 5th

Nice haul for the Dogs. Krassey is a monster physically, and thats a nice group of picks.
Based on the stats I'm guessing he would be a 3rd or 4th line energy guy? Then again, stats don't paint a full picture. I can also understand if Niagara's depth pushed him down in their line-up.

Mayday3*

This likely knocks Hamilton out of the playoffs (don't see them catching the Gens now but anything could happen) but I think it's a great trade for HAM. 2 2nds, a 3rd, 5th and a 98 born player with experience in the OHL for a guy with half a season left is great return

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Based on the stats I'm guessing he would be a 3rd or 4th line energy guy? Then again, stats don't paint a full picture. I can also understand if Niagara's depth pushed him down in their line-up.

I've seen him in the GOJHL where he's a standout player shift in, shift out. I think he's a 3rd line guy right now for this team with room to grow.

Really good skater, really physical, he kinds of looks like Stephen Harper in some ways.

This likely knocks Hamilton out of the playoffs (don't see them catching the Gens now but anything could happen) but I think it's a great trade for HAM. 2 2nds, a 3rd, 5th and a 98 born player with experience in the OHL for a guy with half a season left is great return

Great return is the understatement of the season. Robbery is a better descriptive

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Sounds like this is a good return for Stephen. I wish him all the best. Now lets wait for the "downer" post from digi. :shakehead

JHUT44

Sep 22, 2015
Peel Region
Does this mean Marchment is packing his bags as well... Mississauga sounds like a great landing spot, he doesn't have to drive to far like Harper...

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
This is effective tomorrow right? This is four hours before puck drop. Not exactly cool for the team or coaching staff to yank a top player mere hours before a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad