Post-Game Talk: Habs win in SO 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
The one high quality chance that comes to mind was the one that went in. The only other that comes to mind is questionable because it was what resulted in the penalty shot.
Not sure why you're taking that as a knock against the Lowry line. They soundly outchanced their competition, they just didn't generate a lot of high quality. That's about the best I'd ever expect of a line centered by Lowry.
Not taking it as a knock on the line, just questioning the comment. A break away (leading to the penalty shot) would be considered a high quality chance. The play by Nino, leading to Lowry driving the open net for goal #2, would be a high quality scoring chance. A pass from behind the net, to an open player in the slot (Appleton to Nino), leading to the line’s 3rd goal would be another high quality chance. That line dominated their match ups tonight. Allen also made 2-3 solid saves against that line, on shots from the shot.
They scored 3 goals but didn’t generate quality

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
That's HFJets every GDT...

1) if only it was as simple as a bunch of glycoproteins...

2) we are by nature "Fat Heads" that's by default...

Oh....

You were talking about the Jets...

R.b1a06b0796caf2e9df274a18ceecc85d
Coelacanths, mainly. But OK lets talk about humans, if we must.

:)

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Jets let this one slip away as it was ripe for the taking. I give this game three slips out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against Blake Wheeler and the Rangers has been posted, so check it out. Cheers to @Aggie204 for a beerific GDT today, and we all look forward to @AlphaLackey's GDT on Monday. See you then...
Sleep tight!
1698547052644.gif

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Lowry line on a roll.

And you guys were worried about who our 2C was going to be.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Jets played well enough to get 2 points. The PP is simply awful. That PP that lead to the Armia goal was such a low IQ shift by Ehlers... several forced passes and one finally led to the goal.

Lowry line was really good. Scheifele line didn't give up much but didn't create much either. Good game but one where a point was left on the table. Not playing Perfetti in 3 on 3 is another missed opportunity.

LB looked shaky but he's a backup.
And there you have it. I'm an Ehlers fan but I'm slipping to the edge of the bandwagon. He skatres like the wind, has a terrific shot but his Hockey IQ is less than ideal. (IMO)

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
And there you have it. I'm an Ehlers fan but I'm slipping to the edge of the bandwagon. He skatres like the wind, has a terrific shot but his Hockey IQ is less than ideal. (IMO)
Also a Ehlers fan but it's something that's bugged me for a while, he does some things that make you scratch your head and say what are you doing.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That sucked. But this is what the Jets likely are...a borderline wildcard team that will not win consistently. They need to out goalie the opposition and they have a below average PP that costs games too often. Jets sit at 16th overall and a -1 goal differential.

And Ehlers was BAD.

Reactions: Fairview

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Something's not copacetic.

- psychological
- psycho somatic
- physical
I'm going psychological.

I cannot disagree with the comments about Ehlers thus far this year. He's been substantially underperforming. He's not always stellar, but we're talking about a guy that paces for 25-30 goals barring injuries, so he's very talented. But this year he's really, really off. I don't think it's hockey IQ, he's always made some good plays, along with some boneheaded ones, but he's no EK9.

I was really struck by the interview the other night. He just wasn't there. At all. There have been lots of interviews in the past where he's been sharp, engaging and enjoyable. I recall lots of interviews with Orleski that were very good. So that interview was concerning to me going far deeper than his ability to play hockey - he was out there and it was kind of scary.

I'm guessing something is going on with a family member he cares about. Based on his instagram, his family is massively important. Mentally he isn't there.

Acknowledging he gets paid millions of dollars to play hockey but I'm legit concerned about his mental health.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Ehlers isn't creating the space he used to - maybe he's lost of step or maybe the league has him figured out (don't give him much room).
Anyway, he used to be able to make things happen on his own - and he's played his career that way. Now he needs to use his line mates more and that appears to be a new learning curve for him.
Assuming there is any truth to the above, I'd like to see him look for opportunities to make plays sooner - rather than waiting until he has to make a play.
He can't do it all anymore (IMO) and he needs to broaden the scope of his game - and that might mean being more of a playmaker and less of the guy that beelines for the net on most plays, shoots from bad angles, or from too far out.
He's a really talented player that needs to make some adjustments (IMO) - and most of the adjustments are around decision making.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That sucked. But this is what the Jets likely are...a borderline wildcard team that will not win consistently. They need to out goalie the opposition and they have a below average PP that costs games too often. Jets sit at 16th overall and a -1 goal differential.

And Ehlers was BAD.
I mean if our goalies were just average 3 of the 4 losses this year our record would be alot better...

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We would be raving about kovacevic if he was still here... he has Stanley's size and heinolas angles

We don't have a 2c as much as I cheer for names - and Ehlers was off - move perfetti to top line rw and get Nino as 2lw

Pionk is awful. But he's a favorite son

KFC is the new scheif... can we just extend him now so he starts backchecking?

Dillon and demelo should work on paper but they don't

Bross is Beauregard

Nice goalie masks tonight

Lowry should have been in the shootout ;)

Tnse fkd up
Jomo-kova
Samberg-demelo
That's what our top four should be... I want to see Chisholm.

Outshot them, out played them, but it seems like either we goalie teams or teams goalie us this season so far. The way the game was breaking you take the point and keep moving.
Isnt this just most of the NHL...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So I am definitely not ceding Names as 2C to @surixon but... I wouldn't be against

Connor-scheif-nino
Perfetti-iafallo-ehlers
Barron-lowry-apples
Names-gus-kupari

I think Nino is the only one to offset connor-scheif and I think scheif is playing D as good as we should expect

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Ehlers-Scheif-Iafallo/Barron
Connor-Perfetti-Barron/Iafallo
Nino-Lowry-Apples; I wouldn't touch this line

I'd also cut Schmidt's PP2 time, to zero. Swap Ehlers with Perfetti on the 1st PP unit; or move Ehlers away from the point (he's horrible at keeping pucks in along the boards).

Perfetti and Ehlers (paired up) geometrically makes no sense to me.

To add, I've always found that whenever Kyle Connor gets moved up/down from the 1st to 2nd line (and vice versa), he plays better.

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Now?

I'd go

Iafallo Scheifele ehlers
Connor Perfetti Kupari
Barron Lowry Nino
Names Gus Apples

Or

Perfetti Scheif Ehlers
Connor Kupari Iafallo
Nino Lowry Apples
Barron Gus Names

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We would be raving about kovacevic if he was still here... he has Stanley's size and heinolas angles

We don't have a 2c as much as I cheer for names - and Ehlers was off - move perfetti to top line rw and get Nino as 2lw

Pionk is awful. But he's a favorite son

KFC is the new scheif... can we just extend him now so he starts backchecking?

Dillon and demelo should work on paper but they don't

Bross is Beauregard

Nice goalie masks tonight

Lowry should have been in the shootout ;)

Tnse fkd up
Jomo-kova
Samberg-demelo
That's what our top four should be... I want to see Chisholm.

Isnt this just most of the NHL...

Seems like more instances early this season both for and against but maybe I am misremembering.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hate to blame one player but that loss is essentially entirely on Brossoit.

Really sucks to see Scheifele not show up when he was getting booed all night for a clean hit, whereas when guys like Dubois come to Winnipeg and get booed, they perform.

Not sure why they went with the Montreal feed on a national broadcast but that’s Sportsnet for ya

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
The general game day experience in Montreal doesn't even feel like it's in the same league or sport as in winnipeg. That's no f***ing wonder that they have a hard time selling tickets to the Jets, I was blown away by everything the Montreal ownership does for the fans and the game day experience itself. It's laughable by comparison. I will also say fans themselves seem to be quite a bit more engaged and into it as well, I don't know if that's a cultural thing, ownership needs to look at themselves before they start to blame fans. The game day experience of a bomber game, or like tonight to montreal, shows me that Chipman and his ownership group need to start working harder the game to experience

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'm going psychological.

I cannot disagree with the comments about Ehlers thus far this year. He's been substantially underperforming. He's not always stellar, but we're talking about a guy that paces for 25-30 goals barring injuries, so he's very talented. But this year he's really, really off. I don't think it's hockey IQ, he's always made some good plays, along with some boneheaded ones, but he's no EK9.

I was really struck by the interview the other night. He just wasn't there. At all. There have been lots of interviews in the past where he's been sharp, engaging and enjoyable. I recall lots of interviews with Orleski that were very good. So that interview was concerning to me going far deeper than his ability to play hockey - he was out there and it was kind of scary.

I'm guessing something is going on with a family member he cares about. Based on his instagram, his family is massively important. Mentally he isn't there.

Acknowledging he gets paid millions of dollars to play hockey but I'm legit concerned about his mental health.
Which interview was that Buggs? I’d like to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad