Post-Game Talk: Habs win in SO 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers isn't creating the space he used to - maybe he's lost of step or maybe the league has him figured out (don't give him much room).
Anyway, he used to be able to make things happen on his own - and he's played his career that way. Now he needs to use his line mates more and that appears to be a new learning curve for him.
Assuming there is any truth to the above, I'd like to see him look for opportunities to make plays sooner - rather than waiting until he has to make a play.
He can't do it all anymore (IMO) and he needs to broaden the scope of his game - and that might mean being more of a playmaker and less of the guy that beelines for the net on most plays, shoots from bad angles, or from too far out.
He's a really talented player that needs to make some adjustments (IMO) - and most of the adjustments are around decision making.

Well said. I agree with all of it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The general game day experience in Montreal doesn't even feel like it's in the same league or sport as in winnipeg. That's no f***ing wonder that they have a hard time selling tickets to the Jets, I was blown away by everything the Montreal ownership does for the fans and the game day experience itself. It's laughable by comparison. I will also say fans themselves seem to be quite a bit more engaged and into it as well, I don't know if that's a cultural thing, ownership needs to look at themselves before they start to blame fans. The game day experience of a bomber game, or like tonight to montreal, shows me that Chipman and his ownership group need to start working harder the game to experience

What do they do different? Also I don't see what the Bombers do differently other then put a dynasty product on the field. That leads to a difference in atmosphere. The tables were flipped about 6 years ago where the Bombers stunk and it was a morgue at the stadium while the Jets games where electric.

Everyone does promotions and has trivia and some pregame videos. It's really the atmosphere that makes the game and that is almost entirely driven by quality of product on the ice imo.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
What do they do different? Also I don't see what the Bombers do differently other then put a dynasty product on the field. That leads to a difference in atmosphere. The tables were flipped about 6 years ago where the Bombers stunk and it was a morgue at the stadium while the Jets games where electric.

Everyone does promotions and has trivia and some pregame videos. It's really the atmosphere that makes the game and that is almost entirely driven by quality of product on the ice imo.
Like anything else in life it's a lot of little things.

Also, what has Montreal accomplished in the last several years? I can't remember the last time they did anything the playoffs since they they got squashed by Tampa

Reactions: hn777

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Ehlers just getting hammered here for one bad pass at least he shoots the puck at the net 7 shots.
Connors and Scheifele for some strange reason refused to shoot until the second half of the third.
The problem with the Jets PP nobody stand in front of the net!
Anybody watch the Rangers/Canucks game. All 4 PP goals both teams combined were scored with a man in front screening the goalie or deflection. Look at the 2 goals the Jets scored to started the 2nd period. In tight in your face goals. The average goalie can stop the puck if he can see it unless your name is Brossoit.:D just kidding he just had an off night.
Getting back to Ehlers I found it weird when he made a couple of easy passes and the Jets missed them on the PP just before he made the bad pass that lead to the tying goal.
Over all the Jets play was pretty good I can't complain too much at least they got a point ... on to the next one.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets out played Montreal and if Helly is in net we win that game. We got a valuable point though so its not all bad . Have to change up the PP though, its just not working and with the talent we can put out there ,there is really no excuse for it to be so bad.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Thought Schmidt had his best game buried in an overall very frustrating experience. I thought the Jets had the edge in being better 5x5 but LB needs to make those key saves to keep it going. Riding the pedigree of being a Stanley Cup champ won't win you games.

Also, I have no idea what Pearson was thinking in going up against Dillon.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Our PP seems to be still based on having Laine on the team. We set up around the perimeter and keep passing looking for that elusive one timer. We really never have anyone screening the goalie. We have the bumper position but that isn’t the same.

It’s frustrating but maybe I’m old school, to never see any traffic in front of the net at all. Every player is along the wall or the blue line.

Having said that….. I thought it was a very good game by most jets and it was enjoyable.

Nov 24, 2006
Tough to lose this one when your third line is killing it and the team looked solid overall. That’s 0 - 2 for Brossoit and looking leaky. Meanwhile Jake Allen looked pretty damn good.

3 - 0 - 1 in the last 4 games is pretty solid though.

Last edited:

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Jets PP is SO SLOW with the puck and the players are so static. First few games this year it looked much better because the puck was getting moved much faster. A screen or more net front would be great, but the Jets have mostly been a perimeter team all of 2.0.

Ehlers has always made a few bad plays/passes, it's probably the main reason he is not really trusted. His laps around the offensive zone and random shots from the point are just as ineffective as a Byfuglien wrap around. Usually it's just the end of Jets puck possession.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
We’ve got 7 of the last 8 points. Probably time to change every line…

The 3rd line has scored our last 5. Top 6 needs a shakeup

Which interview was that Buggs? I’d like to see it.

His grandfather I believe passed away recently but might have been last year. Maybe that has messed him up. Could be the first death he's had to deal with

Reactions: JetsUK

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
That was a disappointing loss.

Ehlers defensive deficiencies were exposed as was our power play.

jessica-alba-busted.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Top line wasn't good enough.
I thought that was Samberg's best game.
Morrissey looked iffy all game, just bleeding chances against.
Lowry line felt like they generated a lot but nothing overly high quality. I don't really feel like that line plays as big in front of the net as they probably should.
Felt like there was a narrative against the 2nd line in the GDT tonight. They were fine, they generated some high quality chances and didn't really cause many against.
Schmidt had a solid game. Basically like Lowry's line though, generated a lot but nothing high quality.

JoMo and DeMelo have had a rough couple of games in their end. I thought Morrissey played Montreal's first goal really bad. He was too far wide in his positioning which allowed their player to walk right in after receiving the puck and score. I have no doubt they will correct that but it makes it more difficult when your top pairing is a bit off.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Coaching needs to make some tough decisions here. This next man up/seniority based decision making for the PP is hurting it. They replaced their net front guy in Vilardi with a perimeter HB player in Ehlers. That has thrown the whole scheme out if whack and now it's a slow perimeter based setup.

It's time to go back and craft two units that can function. Get Nino out on unit 1 as he can fill the role Vilardi was filling. Get Ehlers on unit 2 as unit two doesn't have enough skill. I'd take off Schmidt and put Kupari on that unit as well as the net front guy.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
JoMo and DeMelo have had a rough couple of games in their end. I thought Morrissey played Montreal's first goal really bad. He was too far wide in his positioning which allowed their player to walk right in after receiving the puck and score. I have no doubt they will correct that but it makes it more difficult when your top pairing is a bit off.
Morrissey has not been playing like Norrissey so far this year. Hopefully he gets it together.

Reactions: GNP and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Morrissey has not been playing like Norrissey so far this year. Hopefully he gets it together.

Well teams are game planing for him more now. He's not able to do as much from the offensive point as he was last year. He'll have to adapt to what they are now giving him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
ehlers deserves blame on that game tying goal. but that was a real nice stick from the MTL defender to intercept the pass. that's one where helle would typically bail us out, and brossoit was pretty weak on that.

speaking of brossoit.... the ying-yang of his sv% per season continues for him so far this year :laugh:

1698594406465.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad