Your Wildly Outrageous (History of) Hockey Opinions...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Peak Pronger was better than peak Lidstrom.
This was going to be my hot take. Exactly this.

A) I'll take this opinion to my grave.
B) If there was 1 game being played and my life depended on it... and I could only choose one of them... I take Pronger 100x out of 100.
C) If I were building a team from scratch I'd take Pronger over Lidstrom every day of the week.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
In keeping with the thread, I think Original Six is pretty overrated. While there is talk of wild disparities in Expansion Era, there were still those in Original Six. Generally, New York, Chicago and Boston stunk while Montreal, Toronto and Detroit were great. The Sponsorship Era producing better players, not sure if there is a real basis for that. No doubt there was an adjustment period for the junior teams when they became independent and the landscape had to adjust a bit, but fundamentally long-term, it just gets into "back in the day, things were better" nostalgia-ism to claim that the generations that would produce Clarke, Dionne, Lafleur, Trottier, Bossy, Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, Yzerman, Sakic and so on were inferior because junior hockey wasn't sponsored.

As for KHL today, the biggest thing it does is keep players in Russia and away from NHL longer (Panarin, Kaprizov obvious example. Current example is Canes prospect Alexander Nikishin) than they would be otherwise in a more open, transfer-agreement type of system. It also is a competitive bidder for Russian players (not the whole Jagr, Kovalchuk of past years) in that it can generally offer wages competitive with NHL minimum salaries. So this gives a good alternative for Russian players specifically to go play in the KHL for a good wage and in a bigger role than trying to hang around an NHL 4th line and ride the waiver bus. If a player is not a high draft pick, it's not uncommon to come when they are a little older (23-24) on a 1-year ELC in essentially a tryout year. If they have a good year and establish themselves in a top 9 capacity, great, they can sign a big NHL deal (something a KHL team can't offer). If they don't and get benched/sent down/play 8 minutes a night, they'll probably head back. So end result is some more fringe/borderline players will play there instead of here. But in general, this really only applies to Russian players, but yes it does partially explain why 1999 NHL had more Russians than 2024 NHL (you could say ex-Soviet system was better at mass producing players, and more American/Swedish/Finnish players cut into both Canadian and Eastern Bloc share of quality players and not be wrong either).

There are some similarities to the WHA there, especially in terms of wages, but it's not exactly like that. The NHL was a superior league, nobody doubts that, but the WHA did have a very real effect at the time. It wasn't a farm league, it was an outlaw/breakaway league. Broke expansion teams that had to compete with WHA teams really took a beating, whereas a wealthy team like Montreal did not.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
, Considering Lidstrom is the player that played the most games with the same franchise (or must be up there if it is not him):

Probably the player that won the most nhl games during his career, give you so little trouble, play almost all the game that exist, hard to not draft him.

Draft Pronger, how long you keep him ? How many game he end up playing ?

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's probably not "outrageous", but my opinion of most international hockey tournaments is that they don't really tell us anything of value about what country or team is better.

The nature of hockey is that it's a game of mistakes -- endless mistakes, for sixty minutes. Bounces, pucks off referees, incomplete passes, fluke goals, random penalties, etc. Thus, sixty minutes of competition tells us nothing really valuable about 'better'.

I only trust really large sample sizes, where the randomness gets ironed-out as regression to the 'norm' eventually occurs.

Reactions: FrankSidebottom

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
To a point, it seem that only solid nation ever win. Outside great Britain back in the days, Olympic golds always went to hockey nation, Canada cup and world cup later on has well.

Each game are quite bounce event, but to win 3 in a row... taht cut down the biolerussias, swiss, germany Cinderella run usually.

Yes Sweden lost to a worst team on a Salo goals, but the team that win 3 a row without telling us, probably tell us something.

Look at the world junior, is it a just random that Canada-Russia won like 70% of them, or it is representative of being the 2 strongest nation historically at it.

Ranking of golds
Canada
Russia
US
Finland
Sweden
Czech
no one else.

By medals
Russia
Canada
Sweden
Finland
Czech
US
Slovakia
Swiss

I feel we would have ranked how good country have been historically at hockey in average and how often they flirted with having the best pool of prospect (for thewin), we would have ranked it virtually with the same order, but I am cheating here, obviously if we would do the tourney every year after 50 it would be a big sample now.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
To a point, it seem that only solid nation ever win. Outside great Britain back in the days, Olympic golds always went to hockey nation, Canada cup and world cup later on has well.

Each game are quite bounce event, but to win 3 in a row... taht cut down the biolerussias, swiss, germany Cinderella run usually.

Yes Sweden lost to a worst team on a Salo goals, but the team that win 3 a row without telling us, probably tell us something.

Look at the world junior, is it a just random that Canada-Russia won like 70% of them, or it is representative of being the 2 strongest nation historically at it.

Ranking of golds
Canada
Russia
US
Finland
Sweden
Czech
no one else.

By medals
Russia
Canada
Sweden
Finland
Czech
US
Slovakia
Swiss

I feel we would have ranked how good country have been historically at hockey in average and how often they flirted with having the best pool of prospect (for thewin), we would have ranked it virtually with the same order, but I am cheating here, obviously if we would do the tourney every year after 50 it would be a big sample now.
Yes, you're right, the most medals have traditionally gone to the (seemingly) stronger hockey nations. This appears to contradict my point.

However, it's a matter of scale. If a way better team is playing a far weaker team, one-game-only is likely to reward the better team maybe 80% of the time. I concede this point.

But if two weaker teams are playing each other, or (more interestingly) if two stronger teams are playing each other, I don't really think one-game-only tells us much.

The same goes for three games... five games...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's probably not "outrageous", but my opinion of most international hockey tournaments is that they don't really tell us anything of value about what country or team is better.

The nature of hockey is that it's a game of mistakes -- endless mistakes, for sixty minutes. Bounces, pucks off referees, incomplete passes, fluke goals, random penalties, etc. Thus, sixty minutes of competition tells us nothing really valuable about 'better'.

I only trust really large sample sizes, where the randomness gets ironed-out as regression to the 'norm' eventually occurs.
Some will find that outrageous (if their team has won recently) but I'd say it's clearly true, either in one game elimination format or not. Tournaments show you the winner, but can't make a conclusive argument as to which team was the best. A lot of the time before a match starts we know which team is best, but we need to see who wins.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Carey Price is the most overrated goalie in history.

His 2015 season was great - but Habs fans pump it up like its the best season ever by a goalie (post lockout, Kipper, Thomas and Hank have comparable seasons off the top of my head).

Aside from that season, he was nominated for the Vezina only one other season. Two Vezina nominations is pitiful for a goalie some like to call one of the best ever. Ben Bishop for example, played less seasons and was nominated for the Vezina 3x.

There was definitely a desire among some in the hockey media to anoint Price as being better than Lundqvist - and this occurred before Price's MVP season.

Reactions: Voight

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

This doesn't make much sense. If 1 game is 60 minutes of endless mistakes, incomplete passes and random penalties, then 80 games is simply a prolonged period of the same endless mistakes, incomplete passes and random penalties.

Also, if you have two evenly matched teams, then Game 7 can be decided by the same ass-bouncing randomness as a best-of-three or best-of-five series.

And over large sample sizes some people will always take time off, anyone who's ever had a real life job knows this.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The same goes for three games... five games...
Yes we could go with, it never tell you who was the better team, just that to win 3 in a row facing stacked teams you were almost certainly quite good (which the fact that only good teams ever won seem to "prove").

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think Canada Cups get taken a bit too seriously, the Soviets didn't care as much about it as Canadians and still preferred Olympics/World Championships. The "best-on-best" aspect is cool, but it's still just a Canadian Tournament held in Canada with Canadian refs. I think "best-on-best" Olympics are really the crown jewel as you combine both aspects that make a big int'l tournament appealing. The fact is, of the 5 that happened, it's once every 4 years, teams play 6 games total and it becomes a best of 1 single elimination tournament. So it just is what is with international hockey and more a case of making do with what we have in that area rather than any kind of close to perfect situation.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It makes as much as the whole nebulous "talent pool" claim. Now, I don't want that to sound dismissive of greater access to the NHL - it's not. But what matters is the talent itself. Not the source of it.
I think my own point here is that the source of talent, and in particular, the wide range of that source is going to have an instrumental impact on the talent itself.
That's why I keep asking (conversationally, as I know the work needs to be done because no one has the answer right now) - "why do we insist on counting WHA teams along side NHL teams?"
I don't think WHA needs to equal NHL in the conversation of diluting effects, especially when it's in connection to rapid expansion. If we have 6 NHL and 0 WHA in 1966-67, and then we have 18 NHL and 14 WHA in 1974-75, that's a rapid growth in eight years. That doesn't mean we have to view 18 NHL + 14 WHA as equal and just say "32 Pro Teams" and call it a day necessarily. But we also wouldn't just say it's the equivalent of 18 NHL and 0 WHA. We could (theoretically I suppose but probably with some degree of confidence if we did a deep dive of rosters) determine a coefficient to apply towards WHA, even if it's an ultra-conservative WHA = 0.1 NHL, that would still be the equivalent of 18 NHL + 1.4 ("NHL like") = 19.4, which in connection with a discussion of 6 eight years prior gets to the ultimate point about dilution.
We didn't count KHL teams in 2009. They were taking some quality pieces too. They had money.
Yes, there's a bit of a dilutive effect when KHL teams poach a few notable star players, but in a 30 team NHL it's more limited at the time, and in discussion of an era wide comparison, it's not quite the same when the rate of expansion had already rapidly slowed down, and European Leagues (including the KHL predecessor, the RSL) had already existed, they did not just pop up.
But one reason why we didn't see a catastrophic downturn in game play from the last couple years of the O6 era to the first few years of expansion ("DOUBLED!!!") is because of the talent level and the development route.
There is also a big factor in that all the original teams were in one division while the expansion teams were in their own division. So for the most part, teams were playing at their level, and then in crossover play, the original teams would generally pound the crap out of the other division.
The Sponsorship Era - tangled web of intrigue and trickery as it is - proved to be a really useful path to get well-rounded, mature, developed players into the professional circuit.

As that started to get chipped away (not so much '63, but really '66 to '69), the effects started to show shortly thereafter that mini-generation, if you will. Of course, the number of teams continued to climb, fiddling with eligibility ages didn't help either...that's clear.

But the point is, just because some guys from other places came along and took open jobs doesn't mean that we were any better off. It doesn't mean we were worse off, certainly...which isn't the claim.
There are two things going on here. We can say in sponsorship era, the pool of players that came from the traditional paths of Junior-sponsored teams was sufficient and adequate. So when expansion occurs and the WHA pops up, suddenly there aren't enough players and they need to look at other sources. So they say "Swedes, American college players, come on aboard". That doesn't mean those players are suddenly as good there and then as players from the traditional paths, it just means they need to fill more spots. Of course if the alternative is MORE (and inherently lesser) players from the traditional paths (which should happen as well), then the existence of the "other" paths means that in the absence, you have to take lesser players, so the talent pool does help here, because the point being you get a better group of players than you would otherwise.
But if I told you, "hey, Australia has a bunch of players that want to play over here and your team has some open spots..."

What is your response going to be? "Great! Send them over...the talent pool just grew that much more!" ...? No, of course not. You're gonna tell those guys to take a walk, they aren't good enough...
Yes, if NHL teams suddenly said "hey everyone, we now have an outreach mandate, all of you must have 1 Australian player in your lineup every game". That would of course, not help the NHL talent levels. It would actively harm it. However, that is far different from if 1 Australian player per team is generally able to win a spot and essentially boot out the worst guy on every team from the traditional paths, that necessarily means the league's talent has now improved. Lesser players are replaced by better players.
When there were 3x more Russians in the NHL in 1999 (or whatever) than there are now...was it better? And now, it's worse? Of course not. Vladimir Chebaturkin did not improve the league. Pavel Bure did though.
Much of this goes back to the KHL thing from 2009 you described before. Not that it matters, but certainly nowhere near "3x", Russians were 7.5 % of NHL Games Played in 1998-99 and 6.2 % in 2023-24. But that's an aside, Vladimir Chebaturkin isn't the big draw of the NHL by any means. The point of a player like him is that if he's better than a player from the traditional path, then it means a lesser player is replaced with a player that is (even if marginally) better. The margins can add up over time.

And that's the point...what do you have that's actually making the league better? That's the measure. We're talking about, what, 50, 100, 200 people on the entire planet that matter for this discussion...the whole league (vs the population) is a statistical anomaly. Just attack it from the known quantity (the NHL and adjacent) instead of trying to attack it from a place of an impossible-to-define macro 'pool' angle...that's what I'm saying.
I think we can see how a talent pool is necessarily going to improve over time by looking at the NHL player composition as well as the places where those players come from.

If in Year X all players come from Y
In Year X + 10 all players come from Y, U, W, Z...

then there's a few things that could be going on

the players (opportunities) are much larger
the players from Y are getting worse
U, W and Z have stepped up and are able to be more competitive Y

Some combination of things can be going on here. However, looking at "Y" as "Canadian Junior Hockey", I don't think the middle option is very feasible. Junior Hockey still has as many players and in fact the numbers has only increased.

And of course, a point so obvious that it doesn't need to even be mentioned, but is immensely important is that if Canadian NHL Share goes from say 80 % to 40 %, it's not like they're just randomly cutting out the player that "would have" not made the NHL. It's more or less, straight keeping the top half and replacing the bottom half with players that get beat out for jobs by players from elsewhere, who are more or less going to be "randomly distributed" across the league spectrum, in turn pushing some of the "surviving" players down the depth chart.

And if it turns out - after proper evaluation - that 1975 NHL was worse than 1981 NHL, then I'll wear a t-shirt that says that...that's not my feeling right now, but it could be...I just want to get it right. I don't care whose idea it is...
No real comment on 1975 vs. 1981, which is pretty close in time and where "lulls" in good player years could go a long way to explaining which is going to be better more so than a generalized trend of going upward as "player pool" expands, which for reasons I describe above, is to me, very real.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
Controversial opinion?

The Winnipeg jets were the 2nd best team in the world, in the late 70s(75-76->78-79), not counting National teams. Also not counting CSKA, which were basically a national team.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Controversial opinion?

The Winnipeg jets were the 2nd best team in the world, in the late 70s(75-76->78-79), not counting National teams. Also not counting CSKA, which were basically a national team.
Looking at statistics it doesn't seem like the Jets even dominated the WHA really. In 75-76 their record stood at 52-27-2. They basically averaged a loss for every two wins. The Canadiens had the record of 58-11-11 in a tougher league. That is an utter domination.

Btw looking at the lineup for the 76 Olympics out of the 18 players these were not on CSKA:

Alexander Sidelnikov (Krylia)
Sergei Babinov (Krylia)
Yuri Lyapkin (Spartak)
Sergei Kapustin (Krylia)
Aleksandr Maltsev (Dynamo)
Alexander Yakushev (Spartak)
Vladimir Shadrin (Spartak)
Valeri Vasiliev (Dynamo)
Viktor Shalimov (Spartak)

Last edited:

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
Looking at statistics it doesn't seem like the Jets even dominated the WHA really. In 75-76 their record stood at 52-27-2. They basically averaged a loss for every two wins. The Canadiens had the record of 58-11-11 in a tougher league. That is an utter domination.

The habs would have eaten the Jets in 5-6 games. Maybe the hot line steals a game or two. No argument there.

As for the Flyers/Bruins/Sabres/young islanders(obviously they went to another level afterward). I don't buy it for a second. I just can't see Bobby Hull being contained by Andre Dupont, or Bob Dailey. Guys who put up 20 points and could barely skate.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the soviet league, maybe I'm getting confused about when Tikhonov took over. I'm under the impression he used more CKSA players? Regardless the jets always played well against any soviet team. I would say they had a better chance of beating them then most NHL rosters at the time.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
The habs would have eaten the Jets in 5-6 games. Maybe the hot line steals a game or two. No argument there.

As for the Flyers/Bruins/Sabres/young islanders(obviously they went to another level afterward). I don't buy it for a second. I just can't see Bobby Hull being contained by Andre Dupont, or Bob Dailey. Guys who put up 20 points and could barely skate.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the soviet league, maybe I'm getting confused about when Tikhonov took over. I'm under the impression he used more CKSA players? Regardless the jets always played well against any soviet team. I would say they had a better chance of beating them then most NHL rosters at the time.
The 1980s players from other teams did not seem to stand out so much. I am not sure why, it seems like the 80s brought in a shallower pool of top end talent. Nevertheless around half of the national team wasn't in the CSKA even at the CC87:
c11a5cf1d2c941c8eb523fd4f1b2b485.png

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
The 1980s players from other teams did not seem to stand out so much. I am not sure why, it seems like the 80s brought in a shallower pool of top end talent. Nevertheless around half of the national team wasn't in the CSKA even at the CC87:
c11a5cf1d2c941c8eb523fd4f1b2b485.png

I mean... That's still like half the team dude. Also another 6 guys from Moscow Dynamo. Then another 3 guys from another Moscow team. Still I guess less then I expected, I figured it would be like 15 players.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The "we only lost because the goalie stood on his head" excuse is the most eye rolling form of copium. Last time I checked the goalie is as much a part of the team as anyone else.

A riff on this that I've heard many times over the years is this: Yeah, well, where would you team be without Insert Goalie's name.

You often hear this when the goaltender is the best player on the team. Where would the Canadiens be without Carey Price? As if Carey Price isn't a player on the team. You only won that series cause you have Carey Price, without him, you'd miss the playoffs. It's totally bizarre.

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
A riff on this that I've heard many times over the years is this: Yeah, well, where would you team be without Insert Goalie's name.

You often hear this when the goaltender is the best player on the team. Where would the Canadiens be without Carey Price? As if Carey Price isn't a player on the team. You only won that series cause you have Carey Price, without him, you'd miss the playoffs. It's totally bizarre.

Right? Especially since when a forward goes off in a series all you hear is "wow did you see what Gretzky/McDavid/Crosby did?!" not "oh, they only won because they have Gretzky/McDavid/Crosby"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad