Post-Game Talk: Habs win in anime town with Zero Two and Kermit in attendance.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Victory courtesy of
w640xh480_GettyImages-1208944235.jpg
He was driving the bus, wasn't he?

Reactions: Gravity and BLONG7

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Drouin should come off the PP fairly soon........we will be adding Toffolli and Staal, and possibly CC.
JD has got some assists this season, but I am not seeing much else, I know that's not a popular opinion, but to me he has not done much to deserve praise this year.
He has been 5 on 5 passenger, and is part of the Suzuki and Anderson struggles, at least they both hit people when not doing anything else....
Flame away...
Here's my flame ( since you asked)

You are being far too generous. When drouin isn't scoring he's useless and when he is, he doesn't make his inmates one iota better.

He's getting outscored by all three members of the 4th line despite getting a ton more ice time.

Danault was being moved when he was dry. Danault has turned the corner. All this time drouin was only marginally better and he is STILL not producing.

Not scoring, weakest hab on the boards, defensive abomination shouldn't get ANYONE time on the first line.

His current play on the wing reminds me of that glorious season he played center.
When tofolli comes back drouin should be the one sent to the pressbox.

Should be but wont

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
His shot is terrible. Called it 2 years ago. And he does not seem to work on it. Drouin could be the differnce on this team. It pisses me off.
If you are waiting for drouin to be the difference, prepare to be disappointed.

He doesn't work on any part of his game.
A non scoring one dimensional goal scorer has a very specific name in hockey.

A bum

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Drouin should come off the PP fairly soon........we will be adding Toffolli and Staal, and possibly CC.
JD has got some assists this season, but I am not seeing much else, I know that's not a popular opinion, but to me he has not done much to deserve praise this year.
He has been 5 on 5 passenger, and is part of the Suzuki and Anderson struggles, at least they both hit people when not doing anything else....
Flame away...
Drouin is not losing anything, he will continue to get top-line minutes and be put in every possible position to succeed and it won't matter how bad he is in just about every aspect of an NHL game.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Drouin is not losing anything, he will continue to get top-line minutes and be put in every possible position to succeed and it won't matter how bad he is in just about every aspect of an NHL game.
I mean he does have 21pts.....it’s not catastrophic by any means lol

But 2 goals is a little sad.....the guy should be potting 18-24 goals a year to go along with 50+ assists.....alas

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Where have you been lol

I heard complaining about loser points lol....like we are the only team amassing them....like it matters lol

Yea while I'd obviously rather have won those 5 OT losses under Ducharme, I don't care that much.

No 3-on-3 or SO in the playoffs, keeping games close and being dominant at 5-on-5 matters most.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This guy has potential...remember Petry with Edmonton? Maybe I'm way off here but the skating is there, the shot is decent he has some offensive instinct...just lacks confidence but he can move the puck.

He doesn't have Petry's wrister or absolute rocket of a slapper. He doesn't have his passing skills either. The issue is he only seems to work well with Petry.

When Petry was with Edmundson he was putting up all kinds of points because Eddy stayed back. Petry has to be the defensive guy with Kulak & it hurts his own offense.

I like Kulak, but he needs to be a whole lot more consistent.

We'll need him next year too if we lose one of Ed/Chiarot to Seattle.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good point. To be honest I'm going by information from sports websites which state he is RW. Perhaps he likes LW more, interesting.

The only reason I wanted to slot Toffoli RW with Suzuki is to use Drouin's abilities; passing. Anderson makes his thing mostly by himself on rushes and slot presence, so it seem like it could be a waste of 2 good passers. Now of course, maybe my lines suggestions wouldn't mesh, it was just a thought. :)

Also on the cycle, but Drouin and Suzuki don't cycle that well. He played really well with KK because of that.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I mean he does have 21pts.....it’s not catastrophic by any means lol

But 2 goals is a little sad.....the guy should be potting 18-24 goals a year to go along with 50+ assists.....alas
I mean, yeah, he has 21 points but it wouldn't matter if he had 12, you know as well as I do that he would still be getting all of the favorable chances to produce. He still doesn't really compete without the puck and it's not that I expect him to be prime Bob Gainey either but oh well.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
When Toffoli returns, remove Frolik. When Staal enters, remove Lehkonen(For now).

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher -> This line is back and clicking. So long as that is happening, I'm fine with it.
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Evans -> Again let's ride the hot hand and have Evans provide some speed to a line that might be behind in that dept.
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson -> Suzuki's weakness in the faceoff dot is being exposed a bit and we can insulate this line a bit more with Staal.
Byron-Staal-Perry - > The two triple gold club members and Lord Byron. 3 vets who will go to work. Byron will create space and pace for his slower, bigger linemates.

I think short term this could be a nice lineup. Rewarding Evans and having Perry there as a backup in case Evans struggles. I think it would give us a better look at Evans and maybe see how well he can produce with those linemates.
I lke evans a lot but he cannot finish goal chances in the NHL. It's bye bye.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lol no

You just let Seattle take someone. The lessons learned from the Vegas expansion is that the teams who just sat back and lost one player did extremely well vs. The teams who paid compensation for Vegas to take someone else.

Lol

It depends on what the compensation is, and what the other options Marc has for securing a back up are. We're in win now mode. Can't afford to lose Alken and replace him with another Kinkaid, Niemi, Budaj, or Lindgren.

The teams that lost big gave excellent prospects, like former 1st round picks and, and future 1sts. Giving up a 2nd isn't the end of the world. We gave up a 3rd to get him and he's exceeded expectations.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Evans to the wing was definitely crossing my mind last night when or if everyone is healthy.

There is going to be a lot of games, so we'll likely see some kind of rotation.

Reactions: angusyoung

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lol

It depends on what the compensation is, and what the other options Marc has for securing a back up are. We're in win now mode. Can't afford to lose Alken and replace him with another Kinkaid, Niemi, Budaj, or Lindgren.

The teams that lost big gave excellent prospects, like former 1st round picks and, and future 1sts. Giving up a 2nd isn't the end of the world. We gave up a 3rd to get him and he's exceeded expectations.

Francis has said that he wants a 1st from teams, sometimes more.. so it's a non-starter.

You let Seattle pick and I bet you they take one of Chiarot/Edmundson because they can actually trade those players for assets, people aren't gonna line up to pay a lot for Allen who is a back-up goalie. And even if they take Allen? It's no big deal, because Primeau is coming very shortly, they need a one year stop gap at most, which we can find.. and you're still paying Price 10m a year, plus next season will be a normal schedule without the need for a back-up to play so many games.

This is hand wringing over losing a depth piece.. all the sudden, you're trading a 1st, 3rd + for a back up goalie behind someone you're paying 10m, it's asinine.

We are losing a depth player to Seattle, no need to over complicate things.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Francis has said that he wants a 1st from teams, sometimes more.. so it's a non-starter.

You let Seattle pick and I bet you they take one of Chiarot/Edmundson because they can actually trade those players for assets, people aren't gonna line up to pay a lot for Allen who is a back-up goalie. And even if they take Allen? It's no big deal, because Primeau is coming very shortly, they need a one year stop gap at most, which we can find.. and you're still paying Price 10m a year, plus next season will be a normal schedule without the need for a back-up to play so many games.

This is hand wringing over losing a depth piece.. all the sudden, you're trading a 1st, 3rd + for a back up goalie behind someone you're paying 10m, it's asinine.

We are losing a depth player to Seattle, no need to over complicate things.

I specifically said in the post you replied to MB will not be giving up a 1st.

The issue is giving up a 2nd or a 2nd and a B prospect to keep Allen or let him go.

Imo there's a big drop off between losing Allen and replacing him with Kinkaid, versus losing Chiarot and say going with a Edmundson-Weber and Kulak-Petry top 4 next year.

Ultimately it depends on who MB thinks is the alternative backup to the scenario where Alken is taken. Primeau needs to p lo at in Laval.

But there are a lot of teams that may lose a goalie like Lehner/Fleury. Korpisalo/Elvis off the top of my head. So it may not be an issue.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I specifically said in the post you replied to MB will not be giving up a 1st.

The issue is giving up a 2nd or a 2nd and a B prospect to keep Allen or let him go.

Imo there's a big drop off between losing Allen and replacing him with Kinkaid, versus losing Chiarot and say going with a Edmundson-Weber and Kulak-Petry top 4 next year.

Ultimately it depends on who MB thinks is the alternative backup to the scenario where Alken is taken. Primeau needs to p lo at in Laval.

But there are a lot of teams that may lose a goalie like Lehner/Fleury. Korpisalo/Elvis off the top of my head. So it may not be an issue.

Even if that was the price they wanted to accept, it's still too much to protect a back-up goalie you are going to retain for one more year, max. Primeau is going to be phased in behind Price after his ELC is up, or he will get phased in next year with the Habs willing to trade peanuts for another back-up goalie if he's not ready.

It's too much of a premium to pay for Jake Allen who's gonna play 20 games next year and will be gone anyway.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even if that was the price they wanted to accept, it's still too much to protect a back-up goalie you are going to retain for one more year, max. Primeau is going to be phased in behind Price after his ELC is up, or he will get phased in next year with the Habs willing to trade peanuts for another back-up goalie if he's not ready.

It's too much of a premium to pay for Jake Allen who's gonna play 20 games next year and will be gone anyway.

Note though, if Allen were to stay next year and be traded before the following season, we'd get some picks back. So it could li d be we use a 2nd now to keep him and get a 3rd (and a 5th?) Back a year later.

It's important to have an excellent back up for Price. It's why MB gave up a 3rd and a 7th to get him.

I'd have to look at what the options are if Allen were taken to know exactly what I'd give Seattle not to take him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Here's my flame ( since you asked)

You are being far too generous. When drouin isn't scoring he's useless and when he is, he doesn't make his inmates one iota better.

He's getting outscored by all three members of the 4th line despite getting a ton more ice time.

Danault was being moved when he was dry. Danault has turned the corner. All this time drouin was only marginally better and he is STILL not producing.

Not scoring, weakest hab on the boards, defensive abomination shouldn't get ANYONE time on the first line.

His current play on the wing reminds me of that glorious season he played center.
When tofolli comes back drouin should be the one sent to the pressbox.

Should be but wont
Refreshing................

Reactions: angusyoung

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Only in Montreal eh...
Frustrating..................the team is only as good as it's weakest link...
Waiting for the ya but he is getting a ton of assists gang to appear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad