Post-Game Talk: Habs win in anime town with Zero Two and Kermit in attendance.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
So yakupov then?
Small, soft, weak on the boards, consistently given 1st line minutes no matter how bad he plays.

I mean a singular NHL GM and coach thought he would be the cat's pyjamas down the middle.

How did that work out for him?

More importantly, how did it work out for the team?
lol ... you don't like the player so .... "Yakupov!", because he was also touted as being a skilled player! that's some tight logic!
:facepalm:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
lol ... you don't like the player so .... "Yakupov!", because he was also touted as being a skilled player! that's some tight logic!
:facepalm:
Why did he leave Tampa? Why did they send him away from the team.

His zenith was in Halifax. Since then he's been the WORST 1C in the league, a guy with attitude issues, and a scoring winger who doesn't score.

He's never made his inmates better becuase he can't. You have the apologists saying that if he played with a better center, THEN he could appear like a more productive player by virtue of living off the efforts of better players.

The Montreal Canadiens job is not to pump Jonathan drouins tires even if he is de chez nous.

And the comparison to yakupov is just. Yakupov was a bust becuase he never adapted his game. Drouin isn't a rookie he STILL stickhadles into traffic ( to lose the puck) and still loafs around the ice when he doesn't have the puck.

The only real difference is that yakupov didn't have the invisible hand giving him chance after underseved chance no matter how poorly he played.

Same number of goals as Joel edmunson and now is, I believe, the hab with the fewest goals despite all that undeserved 1st line minutes.

What do you think his current value is in a trade?

It ain't good and it's getting worse.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You can't show up 20% of time and need the team to acquire a future hall of famer to get your motivation. Sit him and force him to watch pros play the game. Maybe next time he shows up for 50% of games.
terrible take. Evans is a 7th round pick. He has been a steady 4th line center and the guy is already in his mid 20's. No one has any illusions he is a top 6 center. But he is a serviceable plug for our bottom lines, and one of the only C's we have developed in a decade. From a 7th round pick no less. He hasn't been potting the points but he has played good hockey away from the puck. Can't expect too much from someone getting 10 minutes a game.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
terrible take. Evans is a 7th round pick. He has been a steady 4th line center and the guy is already in his mid 20's. No one has any illusions he is a top 6 center. But he is a serviceable plug for our bottom lines, and one of the only C's we have developed in a decade. From a 7th round pick no less. He hasn't been potting the points but he has played good hockey away from the puck. Can't expect too much from someone getting 10 minutes a game.

7th round! just that alone and he's played in the NHL,good for him. Looked very good last game and at the beginning of the season only to falter,hope he keeps it going now for him and the Habs.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
7th round! just that alone and he's played in the NHL,good for him. Looked very good last game and at the beginning of the season only to falter,hope he keeps it going now for him and the Habs.
And staal isn't here to play 4th line and replace evans. I can see suzuki gettin a nudge given his slump.

You know what I see happening, the habs being much worse once healthy. Happens all the time. Team is playing well and a few players come back and upend all the lines.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I mean he does have 21pts.....it’s not catastrophic by any means lol

But 2 goals is a little sad.....the guy should be potting 18-24 goals a year to go along with 50+ assists.....alas
I would settle for him getting 10 goals a year if he was putting up 50 assists. He isn't even pacing that. 5.5 million since he showed up. Year 4 of that 5.5 million per, with 2 seasons left. In those 4 years has he been anything even close to a 5.5 player? He had one season he started the year great and tailed off to be our worse guy the last 20 games(than even some 4th liners). This year feels the same.

Maybe next year he will turn it around :laugh:

Reactions: Rapala and BLONG7

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
And staal isn't here to play 4th line and replace evans. I can see suzuki gettin a nudge given his slump.

You know what I see happening, the habs being much worse once healthy. Happens all the time. Team is playing well and a few players come back and upend all the lines.

You're right! hope you're wrong though. Many a times you see teams getting their ""savior '' only to go into a lull. Not that I'm calling anyone on the Habs a savior though.

I'm curious what Staal has left, does he still have some semblance of his past at all? if he has something left, can see him with Suzuki and Toffoli.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You're right! hope you're wrong though. Many a times you see teams getting their ""savior '' only to go into a lull. Not that I'm calling anyone on the Habs a savior though.

I'm curious what Staal has left, does he still have some semblance of his past at all? if he has something left, can see him with Suzuki and Toffoli.
Hell give him anderson and drouin, see what suzuki can do with toffoli and perry

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

HF has been messed up for me today. Double posting, getting errors etc.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It's crazy when you look at him closely he's the only player in the lineup that's not pushing in the same direction as the rest. He may be pushing, but it's pretty much useless since he's on a different page than his linemates. Not enough to work hard, you gotta work smart too. You can see all lines have set plays how to attack and play in the attacking zone and he comes on and it's make it up as we go along. He needs to be off that line so Suzuki and Anderson can get to business.
Not often I am on the same page as you. Poor fit and has been since the trade. Its not that he is a terrible player. He has a place, but not on a team that is built like us. I wish we had sergechev to fix our LD. Even if he wasn't putting up the same numbers he would be fixing a hole in our team, not creating one.

Reactions: Adriatic

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Toffoli and Perry on the same line? not concerned about the lack of speed?

Just now I see what you mean, was replying to your other post and suddenly your other message is in it's place,WTH?

Speed is important, but I will take the skill portion. Suz hasn't been playing great, but playing with perry should show him some things he may not notice playing with a younger line.

Reactions: angusyoung

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Drouin should come off the PP fairly soon........we will be adding Toffolli and Staal, and possibly CC.
JD has got some assists this season, but I am not seeing much else, I know that's not a popular opinion, but to me he has not done much to deserve praise this year.
He has been 5 on 5 passenger, and is part of the Suzuki and Anderson struggles, at least they both hit people when not doing anything else....
Flame away...
Flame not. Drouin is infurating. His shot is total crap. Crest every time.

Reactions: BLONG7

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I would settle for him getting 10 goals a year if he was putting up 50 assists. He isn't even pacing that. 5.5 million since he showed up. Year 4 of that 5.5 million per, with 2 seasons left. In those 4 years has he been anything even close to a 5.5 player? He had one season he started the year great and tailed off to be our worse guy the last 20 games(than even some 4th liners). This year feels the same.

Yeah and if not next year, for sure the year after that.

I mean if we keep saying it, it HAS to come true sometimes, right?

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

What kind of production do you expect from 5,5mil ? 50pts a season is about right. Gallagher will be paid 6,5mil for that kind of production... Let's not talk about Anderson... Drouin produces exactly like he's paid. Of course, he's so talented so we would like him to get to the next level, but he won't.

Habs don't have a 8mil+ star forward and it shows... We prefer goalies and defencemen... Look at how it turn out for the last 25 years. Time to rebuild from Top to bottom.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What kind of production do you expect from 5,5mil ? 50pts a season is about right. Gallagher will be paid 6,5mil for that kind of production... Let's not talk about Anderson... Drouin produces exactly like he's paid. Of course, he's so talented so we would like him to get to the next level, but he won't.

Habs don't have a 8mil+ star forward and it shows... We prefer goalies and defencemen... Look at how it turn out for the last 25 years. Time to rebuild from Top to bottom.
Gally has scored 30 goals while making 3.75M in the past several years.
Gally is the last guy to compare with Drouin.............If Drouin tried HALF as hard as Gally, everyone would be fine with Drouin. It's not the fact Drouin doesn't produce as well as he should, it's the fact he barely tries most nights.
I would think as a team mate, guys like Gally and Anderson, who hustle and hit when not scoring would like to take Drouin down the back alley and have a chat with the man....

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
:handclap:

Amazing how context doesn't apply in the world of some posters???

Evans has been excellent, all things considered... And his trajectory suggests we'll see steady improvement from him over his first few seasons in the big show. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if he tops out as a very solid 3rd line C, or elite 4th line C. Either way, we know we'll get consistent effort no matter his role or ice time.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Gally has scored 30 goals while making 3.75M in the past several years.
Gally is the last guy to compare with Drouin.............If Drouin tried HALF as hard as Gally, everyone would be fine with Drouin. It's not the fact Drouin doesn't produce as well as he should, it's the fact he barely tries most nights.
I would think as a team mate, guys like Gally and Anderson, who hustle and hit when not scoring would like to take Drouin down the back alley and have a chat with the man....
Since when are we (yep, I'm including everyone) paid in terms of effort ? Why not pay Lehkonen 7mil a year then ?

I'm comparing production, because that's what they are paid to do... Effort means shit in terms of salaries... and yes I compare Drouin and Gallagher because that's what every GMs and agents do when negociating salaries... if you were an agent and negociating a contract, you would be litteraly laugh at if you brought the effort argument.

So again, Drouin is producing at an average of 50pts a season, effort or no, and that's worth in today's NHL around 5mil+ a season... look around. I'm not debating if fans like or not a player or his effort, but that in terms of production, Drouin is doing what he is paid for, that's it... because he's a Top 6 player, not a star forward.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Since when are we (yep, I'm including everyone) paid in terms of effort ? Why not pay Lehkonen 7mil a year then ?

I'm comparing production, because that's what they are paid to do... Effort means shit in terms of salaries... and yes I compare Drouin and Gallagher because that's what every GMs and agents do when negociating salaries... if you were an agent and negociating a contract, you would be litteraly laugh at if you brought the effort argument.

So again, Drouin is producing at an average of 50pts a season, effort or no, and that's worth in today's NHL around 5mil+ a season... look around. I'm not debating if fans like or not a player or his effort, but that in terms of production, Drouin is doing what he is paid for, that's it... because he's a Top 6 player, not a star forward.
YOU are the one who talked about Gally and Drouin.............apples and oranges.
Go back and read your post.
You said Gally produced like a 6M dollar player, when in fact he prduced 30 goals for 3.75M shattering your excuses for Drouin.
Corry Perry has less TOI than Drouin and has 7 goals. Speaking of production.... Drouin has been a perimeter pansy his whole career. Perimeter assists is his specialty. Hopefully Seattle takes him off our hands.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Why did he leave Tampa? Why did they send him away from the team.

His zenith was in Halifax. Since then he's been the WORST 1C in the league, a guy with attitude issues, and a scoring winger who doesn't score.

He's never made his inmates better becuase he can't. You have the apologists saying that if he played with a better center, THEN he could appear like a more productive player by virtue of living off the efforts of better players.

The Montreal Canadiens job is not to pump Jonathan drouins tires even if he is de chez nous.

And the comparison to yakupov is just. Yakupov was a bust becuase he never adapted his game. Drouin isn't a rookie he STILL stickhadles into traffic ( to lose the puck) and still loafs around the ice when he doesn't have the puck.

The only real difference is that yakupov didn't have the invisible hand giving him chance after underseved chance no matter how poorly he played.

Same number of goals as Joel edmunson and now is, I believe, the hab with the fewest goals despite all that undeserved 1st line minutes.

What do you think his current value is in a trade?

It ain't good and it's getting worse.

I'M beginning to think that he did something to you personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad