LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Kovalchuk, Folin for Moore, Boston 1st

Extra value on top of Kovalchuk for taking Moore's contract to help free up room for Krug. 1st is really late 1st

Folin just a big #6/7 body as injury fill in for playoff run, doesn't need to be there if Boston has enough D

Reactions: Gravity

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Kovalchuk, Folin for Moore, Boston 1st

Extra value on top of Kovalchuk for taking Moore's contract to help free up room for Krug. 1st is really late 1st

Folin just a big #6/7 body as injury fill in for playoff run, doesn't need to be there if Boston has enough D

Moore has negative value given his recent play and the fact that he makes 2,75M$ for 3 more years. It would take a bit more than a late first to get this done.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I'm going to laugh when he brings a 1st after some team has a top 6 player get injured, everyone in this thread saying he isn't worth a 2nd rounder on the current rental market should be banned from the forum.

There wont be many people left lmao.
All you hear here is how he is barely worth a 4th because "everyone could have signed him for free a month ago" and "he's performing in MTL cause he has ice time he wouldn't get on a contender"

At least not everyone are blinded by an unfounded Montreal hate

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Moore has negative value given his recent play and the fact that he makes 2,75M$ for 3 more years. It would take a bit more than a late first to get this done.

His cap hit would be manageable for Montreal who have room for a smooth skating LD. They could probably rehabilitate him and move him for another 3rd next year

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Kovy likely picked Mtl because they were desperate with injuries piling up, meaning he would get a lot of quality icetime in the top 6. Guy still has crazy hands and all kinds of wicked shots, slappers, one timers, wristers, guy still has all these elite tools. I can see a playoffs team picking him up if injury happens in the next couple of weeks. Kovy aint a good bottom 6 player though, hes kinda useless without the puck.
He picked Montreal because he wanted to play now and interested teams wanted to wait till the deadline to see where they're at before they decide to sign him or not. The guy saw an opportunity to showcase himself and perhaps get called on by a contender, so he jumped on it. Signing a league minimum contract means he has great value and can easily fit on almost any team, so that's an added bonus.

What team doesn't want all those tools even as depth in case of injury, which happens all the time, for a 2nd rounder?

The guy is signed for 700k, can step up into a top 6 role and only costs a 2nd round pick. Not seeing what is insane about the ask, or how people continue to perpetuate the stupid idea that he's worth nothing because they could have picked him up on waivers and didn't.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm going to laugh when he brings a 1st after some team has a top 6 player get injured, everyone in this thread saying he isn't worth a 2nd rounder on the current rental market should be banned from the forum.
Only way I would move Kovalchuk. Is for overpayment like a first. Rick Nash returned a first and good prospect 2 years ago. If Boston wants him that is Price I would ask for.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
People just repeat what GM told the press. But what are you expecting? You want buyers telling press something else than sellers stuff worth nothing?

I remember when everybody were laughing of Joe Sakic because they think he was so wrong about Matt Duchene's value...

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
he wont get traded. Only way i see the habs selling is if we lose the at least 3 of the next 4 games...
Yea. I hope Montreal goes on a run and makes the playoffs, especially with Kovy on the roster. Very fun exciting team to watch. Shame the injuries slowed them down for that stretch, otherwise they'd already be in a good position.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
All the contenders identified Kovalchuk as someone who has to play in the top 6 in order to be useful. But none of them wanted to take a chance and test him out in that capacity. Fortunately or unfortunately for them, Montreal took the chance and Kovalchuk has shown the contenders that he is worthy of top 6 minutes.

So now the contenders have gotten a good look at what Kovy can do in the top 6 and are evaluating their options more seriously..

Reactions: Osprey

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
A 1rst??? You not even on right planet. Be extremely lucky to get a low 2nd name that's a great improvement over what he was 3 months ago

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
People need to get over the fact he was free for the taking when looking at his value. I thought it was a desperation move by our GM that wouldn’t pan out, imagine most GMs thought the same. Now that it has his value has changed too. We lost DLR to waivers and Detroit traded him for Fabbri. Why would St Louis ever do that if he was free last year?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we trade him, hes 100% not returning a first.
26 games is not enough to make a player go from having 0 value to being worth a 1st round pick. And a GM would look foolish to give up a first considering he couldve gotten kovy for free a month ago.

If he started the season with the habs and produced at the same rate as he is doing now, then he would return a first at the tdl. But thats not the current scenario.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Honestly, i could see it end up being a conditional 4th round pick with the following conditions:
- becomes a 3rd if the team makes it past the first round.
- becomes a 2nd if the team makes it past the second round OR resigns him.
- becomes a 1st if they make it to the SCF AND Kovy scores 14 points or more during the entire playoffs.

This seems fair to me... idk what everyone else thinks?

Reactions: Osprey

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Yea. I hope Montreal goes on a run and makes the playoffs, especially with Kovy on the roster. Very fun exciting team to watch. Shame the injuries slowed them down for that stretch, otherwise they'd already be in a good position.
its best we wait until we get a top end superstar thru the draft. By winning the lottery and drafting Lafreniere :naughty:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If we trade him, hes 100% not returning a first.
26 games is not enough to make a player go from having 0 value to being worth a 1st round pick. And a GM would look foolish to give up a first considering he couldve gotten kovy for free a month ago.

If he started the season with the habs and produced at the same rate as he is doing now, then he would return a first at the tdl. But thats not the current scenario.
The only way Kovalchuk returns a 1st is if conditions are attached to the trade.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Kovalchuk isn’t worth a 2nd rounder. The guy got bought out. No team wanted him except Montreal who gave him a chance with a 1/2 year league minimum contract.

He’s shown in a very small sample size that he could possibly be effective given the right situation and circumstances making him worth a mid round pick. No value to mid round pick is great for the Canadiens.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Kovalchuk isn’t worth a 2nd rounder. The guy got bought out. No team wanted him except Montreal who gave him a chance with a 1/2 year league minimum contract.

He’s shown in a very small sample size that he could possibly be effective given the right situation and circumstances making him worth a mid round pick. No value to mid round pick is great for the Canadiens.
Wow so much falseness in this post. Its beyond impressive

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
good luck finding a top 6 forward that has 12 pts in 15 games, 3 GWGs and only makes 700K for a lowly 2nd round pick
He only that way on the habs. You think he would have been that effective on philly or NJ ?? Teams knew this and that why he nobody offered him a contract. His value increased certainly but not 1rst round value...not even close

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hab fans need to get over the fact that he's on a new team high and his play is NOT sustainable, and most GMs are smart enough to know that.

Any GM handing over a top 100 pick for him is going to regret that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad