Post-Game Talk: Habs tubthump Canucks - 7-3 (Horvat x2, Sutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
We look bad. Atrocious defensively.

If there was ever a year to miss the playoffs this would be it, I guess. Early days yet but the entire team looks rusty.
2015 draft Connor McDavid was available.

If ever there was a year to miss the playoffs, that was it.

Or take a stale core and watch it get embarrassed by a crappy Calgary team in the 1st round of playoffs.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’ve actually got time for Beagle. He got too much term and about $1-$1.5m per year too much - but he plays balls out every night and works his bag off. He might be the hardest working Canuck (just a pity he’s not very good). Having both him and Sutter is also an exercise in redundancy - both in terms of their over inflated roles on the team, and their over inflated contracts.

Sutter and Roussel are different matters. I’ve never particularly liked Sutter - always felt he’s all talk and no action. He has games where he’s effective - and he was actually solid in both the Minnesota and St. Louis series’ last year - but by and large he’s a guy who always looks gassed and like he’s shouting for others to cover his blown assignments.

Roussel was terrific in his first season here, and just hasn’t been the same since his injury. The reputation calls follow him around, and Green definitely doesn’t seem to trust him all that much. He was our lowest ice time forward in the playoffs consistently, and not much has changed to start this season.
Roussel was carried by minutes with Bo Horvat.

15-5 goal diff together
16-26 roussel in 3rd line mins away from Bo.

If all the 4th liners need 2nd line mins to be terrific they’re not terrific in their roles.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
5 terrible defensive games in a row. 4 losses in 6 and each loss more embarrassing that the previous one. Quite a feat the Canucks have managed early on.

Really not much to say. Bad defense, bad roster, bad depth (well nonexistent depth), goaltending that isn’t good enough....I could go on.

So far 6 games in seems like the chickens have come home to roost for Benning and Green. Management and coaching getting exposed at every turn.

And as I predicted, some talk already of “what you going to do? 3 d-men were hurt!”. It’s not a shocking or unheard of thing in a normal year so maybe don’t start your year with 3 guys on your normal 23 man roster that maybe shouldn’t be in the NHL (Juolevi, Benn, Chatfield). Maybe don’t go into the year with aging and declining players (Edler, Hamonic, Myers). Maybe have something on the taxi squad/farm that can be dropped into the lineup.

It is worth remembering that what you saw last night in a normal year: a lineup with ONE farm call up on it.
We gave up Hutton and Stecher for nothing, and Biega for essentially nothing, instead we have this (yes, I think Biega is probably aging out, but would probably better than some of what we are bringing in)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Sekeres was saying the same thing last night. Wonder if Myers dodges a bullet here.

I thought / think that hit was suspendable for sure, but who knows.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Am I the only one not impressed with the Habs? They played pretty shit these 2 games canucks just played worse. A lot of the Canadian teams I've watched are lucky that they only have to play each other.

I for one am much happier now realizing that a team playing like shit scored 12 goals in two games against the canucks....

Reactions: 420Canuck

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Or take a stale core and watch it get embarrassed by a crappy Calgary team in the 1st round of playoffs.
That of been great. Imagine

Miller Horvat Boeser
Pettersson McDavid Beagle

:yo:

Reactions: Luckylarry

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Role with this next game to make a statement. That was some horrendous defence.

Rafferty-Rathbone
Hughes-Myers
Chatfield-Schmidt

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I remember talking to Pauser shitfaced at the Blarney Stone some years back when it was obvious we needed a rebuild. Even if we didn't hit McDavid, to land among an Eichel, Marner, Werenski, etc would have been wondrous but, butterfly effect. That happens we probably don't end up with Hughes and maybe Petey.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
the canucks were pretty clearly not even close to bad enough to tank for any of those players in 2015. besides, we turned out with a pretty good player from that draft anyways.

i would've had no problem with jim trying to get one last run out of the sedins, kinda like how sj re-tooled from 2016-2019. the problem is just that the execution was godawful.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Benning inherited way too much to have them tanking the McDavid draft.

$20m in cap space. Solid lineup and defense.

It wasn’t until he actually started doing things (and you could see right away he was dumb) that I thought they were in the track to the basement.

Targeting Sbisa. Signing an old veteran goalie to $6m/yr. Trading the 2nd from Garrison for Vey.

The only good thing he did was sign Vrbata but then he went and marginalized the guy after an all star season.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Weird that people support the Myers but after the crying about hits on Baertschi, Dorsett and other less egregious hits.

Myers avoided a full body check, ducked around the shoulder and elevated making contact with the head.

These are the worst type imo. Purposely picking the head is chickenshhit. So is avoiding skating right through the player shoulder to shoulder to protect your wonky giraffe shoulder.

It was a p***y move all around imo.

Reactions: m9

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Is Myers right shoulder the wonky one? He didn’t want to bump Armia’s full body with it.

Montreal has guys who can hurt with their hits too. Going for the head in a decided game won’t be forgotten easily.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t disagree as it’s clear there is a massive mess on the blueline (and bottom 6). However, any acquisition is going to take a couple weeks to get into the lineup and likely longer to get up to speed. So at this point you are talking the season being 20 games in...and they could be sunk by then. More than any other year it was a necessity to have decent depth. Good thing the cap and draft picks and depth don’t matter....

Agreed to an extent but timeframes are a little different this year - Hamonic’s turnaround from ‘out of the NHL for a year’ to ‘playing regular season NHL games’ was like a week.

Reactions: geebaan

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
the canucks were pretty clearly not even close to bad enough to tank for any of those players in 2015. besides, we turned out with a pretty good player from that draft anyways.

i would've had no problem with jim trying to get one last run out of the sedins, kinda like how sj re-tooled from 2016-2019. the problem is just that the execution was godawful.
But I remember being told quite clearly back in 2015 that Gillis left Benning with nothing to work with....how can we have team too good to tank /s

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad