Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Phillip Danault to 3-Year Deal ($3.083M AAV)

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
28th place team = doing a good job... can't make this stuff up, there's actually people who believe he's doing a good job.

With standards like this I need a new job. Preferably one where I don't have to do any work and not be held accountable for anything but still get paid lol.

Except that Danault never played 3C. He played 1C and 2C like Desharnais. Maybe wake the **** up and realize that people's problem with the player isn't his language but his usage.

When the best move of the summer for your GM is him simply extending a third line player then you have a problem. This won't bring us a cup and won't even make us a bubble team. It's a nothing move and you want us to give credit to this moron GM for this?

Yeah he played there because there wasn't another option. Other than your boy Galhcenyuk but last I checked he's one person not two.

No idea what your point is.

The rest is blah blah. I don't "want to give credit", I never mentioned any of that at all. He resigned a player who deserved resigning. It's not anything, it's not worth complaining about. I'm not applauding the move. I think Danault is a decent 3c, What the f*** do you expect them to so this offseason to help the team? They're rebuilding.

You're really good at putting words in people's mouths. Stop it.

Maybe you should wake the f*** up and realize the team is not in the process of makig itself better for next year but moving forward as a whole. Stop bitching.

Reactions: dralaf

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
well, right now what we see is fans crying like little girls at the possibility of the Habs getting a french speaking player/coach/etc.

there is less french speaking players on the Habs, none at goalie, none at D, very few at forward, none with a A or C, none really in Laval... and people are still freaking out hearing french words or something ??

wusses...

I don't care about having or not having french player. Don't give a shit about where they from, never had and never will. What i'm crying about is mainly the media crying about everything french and making pressure on the organisation.

You know this discussion all started with a Tweet from JiC Lajoie who was crying that Danault wasn't paid enough and that Bergevin took advantage of another poor little gars de chez nous.

When was the last time somebody complain about a player not getting paid enough ?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
What the **** do you expect them to so this offseason to help the team? They're rebuilding.

Maybe you should wake the **** up and realize the team is not in the process of makig itself better for next year but moving forward as a whole. Stop *****ing.

How about the GM do his f***ing job and get some 1st round picks if they are rebuilding. How about not throw Galchenyuk under the bus in public thereby lowering his value to the point where the best he could do for a player drafted 3rd overall is a player who scored 5 even strength goals last year.

How about he not tell the public that he has no interest in Pacioretty sabotaging any potential trade deals since teams will just wait until next year knowing they can get him for FREE!!

Stupid GM can't even get anything good for two 30 goal scorers on sweethear deals... at least Gainey got a 1st and a top 4D man for old man Rivet. Should have stuck with Gainey and Gauthier, we would have won a cup by now.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't care about having or not having french player. Don't give a **** about where they from, never had and never will. What i'm crying about is mainly the media crying about everything french and making pressure on the organisation.

You know this discussion all started with a Tweet from JiC Lajoie who was crying that Danault wasn't paid enough and that Bergevin took advantage of another poor little gars de chez nous.

When was the last time somebody complain about a player not getting paid enough ?

Lajoie... damn! are people really whining about whatever this guy has to say ??

people crying over this do cry cause they love it.

Reactions: dralaf

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How about the GM do his ****ing job and get some 1st round picks if they are rebuilding. How about not throw Galchenyuk under the bus in public thereby lowering his value to the point where the best he could do for a player drafted 3rd overall is a player who scored 5 even strength goals last year.

How about he not tell the public that he has no interest in Pacioretty sabotaging any potential trade deals since teams will just wait until next year knowing they can get him for FREE!!

Stupid GM can't even get anything good for two 30 goal scorers on sweethear deals... at least Gainey got a 1st and a top 4D man for old man Rivet. Should have stuck with Gainey and Gauthier, we would have won a cup by now.

All points worthy of discussion, but not relevant in this thread.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
How about the GM do his ****ing job and get some 1st round picks if they are rebuilding. How about not throw Galchenyuk under the bus in public thereby lowering his value to the point where the best he could do for a player drafted 3rd overall is a player who scored 5 even strength goals last year.

How is any of what you're sayinng relevant? First round picks for who?

As for the rest - leave it fort he bergevin thread I'm not discussing his quality as a GM. Are you even reading my posts?

Last I checked he never publicly told anyone that he had no interest in pacioretty... LOL. It was terrible that it leaked.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
So I guess you feel bad for about half the players in the league? Only 16 teams make the playoffs.

I don't even feel bad for all the Habs players. Try not to think in absolute sometimes. It's true, Danault is a millionaire and is career is far from over but whatever success he might have in the future won't be with the Habs.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
Star players are in demand and can pretty much choose where they want to play.
Normally this sort of pity is reserved for all-star level players, not support players. This is Montreal, ladies and gentlemen.

Only towards the end of their career. Star players can pretty much choose where they want to play, so at least they can have a shot.

Besides, there aren't many stars left to cheer for in Montreal.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah he played there because there wasn't another option. Other than your boy Galhcenyuk but last I checked he's one person not two.

No idea what your point is.

The rest is blah blah. I don't "want to give credit", I never mentioned any of that at all. He resigned a player who deserved resigning. It's not anything, it's not worth complaining about. I'm not applauding the move. I think Danault is a decent 3c, What the **** do you expect them to so this offseason to help the team? They're rebuilding.

You're really good at putting words in people's mouths. Stop it.

Maybe you should wake the **** up and realize the team is not in the process of makig itself better for next year but moving forward as a whole. Stop *****ing.
They suck period.

But you do put it a very nice way. :thumbu:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's really not that uncommon - the Leafs always want to get Ontario kids - the Western teams always want to get Western kids - the Wild always are looking for Minnesota kids - Minnesotans are HUGE hockey fans with the best high school hockey in the US and they also have fans who would prefer that the club select more local high school kids. Etc Etc...

It's just a part of the game. I'm sure in Russia fans want more Russians and in Sweden fans want more Swedes. It's as normal as complaining about the weather.

None of it is a problem as long as Bergevin doesn't overpay to get local kids which he has never done. He does a great job picking up local kids where he can at low prices and giving them a chance, but he also goes out and gets other guys like Mike Reilly and gives them a chance - so there is really no issue with language. I'm not sure why you are complaining about it. Do you really want Dale Weise back or something?
Danault score 8 goals last season. Must have been a tough negotiation process.

Nope, Bergie is not over paying for the local kid. Applause. :clap:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Only towards the end of their career. Star players can pretty much choose where they want to play, so at least they can have a shot.

Besides, there aren't many stars left to cheer for in Montreal.

I think this is the real problem surrounding the Montreal Canadiens. We've had not much to cheer for in a very long time, but fans still have to cheer for something right? The dialogue thus shifts to glorify players who might be great guys, might bleed for the CH, but who will never, ever, not in a million years lead this, or any, team any closer to contention. When losing is a foregone conclusion, fans have rerouted their expectations and admiration for the way in which we lose, instead of hoping for better. Character, grit, playing the ''right way,'' take prominence over scoring, skill, and talent.

Now it's generally a myth that a single player can make a team a contender, so when a single player fails to do so for Montreal, his loss is not lamented, no matter how good that player is. But there's a real difference between a player who can be part of what makes a team a contender, and a player who cannot: that difference typically does not correlate well with the priorities of this organization.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
I think this is the real problem surrounding the Montreal Canadiens. We've had not much to cheer for in a very long time, but fans still have to cheer for something right? The dialogue thus shifts to glorify players who might be great guys, might bleed for the CH, but who will never, ever, not in a million years lead this, or any, team any closer to contention. When losing is a foregone conclusion, fans have rerouted their expectations and admiration for the way in which we lose, instead of hoping for better. Character, grit, playing the ''right way,'' take prominence over scoring, skill, and talent.

Now it's generally a myth that a single player can make a team a contender, so when a single player fails to do so for Montreal, his loss is not lamented, no matter how good that player is. But there's a real difference between a player who can be part of what makes a team a contender, and a player who cannot: that difference typically does not correlate well with the priorities of this organization.

You're being over dramatic. Glorify players? Admiration for the way we lose? Hoping for better? What's the point of that? I just like some players more than others and I think they're a net positive on any team so I'd like to see them do well in Montréal. People cheer for support players all the time. There are more of them than stars. Problem is they're still support players and this team sucks.

I'll get to play outside more this winter. That's what I cheer and hope for next winter.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You're being over dramatic. Glorify players? Admiration for the way we lose? Hoping for better? What's the point of that? I just like some players more than others and I think they're a net positive on any team so I'd like to see them do well in Montréal. People cheer for support players all the time. There are more of them than stars. Problem is they're still support players and this team sucks.

I'll get to play outside more this winter. That's what I cheer and hope for next winter.

That response to you was a bit excessive given how this exchange started, but I stand behind all of it. I think there was likely a time in Montreal where players like Danault would be appreciated, but understood to be what they are: jerseys that could be filled by many, as opposed to few other players.

Just think about perhaps the most famous Canadian short story ever: The Hockey Sweater. The jersey was #9, for a reason. Just try to rewrite that story with #92. ''All the kids wanted to wear #92 because, given that he was playing a TOTALLY new position, and the rest of the team was garbage, he was actually pretty good for the last 13 games of the season.''

Reactions: groovejuice

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If he is played as the #1 center, sheltered QoC, prime pp minutes, best wingers, plays 82 games...I suppose he has a decent chance at 50 points.
So he managed to get 40 points while playing all over the place in the lineup and with very little PP opportunities but for him to get 10 more points he would need some amazing circumstances? Sure...

I was going through some numbers and I discovered that last year, even if the team had a rough season, the line composed by Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw was extremely effective...

I don't know why they didn't keep those guys together, to be honest...

They played a total of 19 games as a line:

Pacioretty 16P
Danault 14P
Shaw 14P

That's some really solid production considering we couldn't score and struggled as a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad