Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Phillip Danault to 3-Year Deal ($3.083M AAV)

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Yes i agree.....but it's not part of the culture of the separatist only.
What about the 30% of anglophone fans? Or for those who simply don't care about politics?

Hockey is part of Canada's culture....but it doesn't belong to one local political party.
There's 30 teams out of 31 teams that doesn't put any of their local politics into their teams.

Habs will always be part of the Montreal culture even if everybody would not be from Montreal just like the Pens are part of Pittsburgh's culture despite not having a single player from pennsylvania.

It's really not that uncommon - the Leafs always want to get Ontario kids - the Western teams always want to get Western kids - the Wild always are looking for Minnesota kids - Minnesotans are HUGE hockey fans with the best high school hockey in the US and they also have fans who would prefer that the club select more local high school kids. Etc Etc...

It's just a part of the game. I'm sure in Russia fans want more Russians and in Sweden fans want more Swedes. It's as normal as complaining about the weather.

None of it is a problem as long as Bergevin doesn't overpay to get local kids which he has never done. He does a great job picking up local kids where he can at low prices and giving them a chance, but he also goes out and gets other guys like Mike Reilly and gives them a chance - so there is really no issue with language. I'm not sure why you are complaining about it. Do you really want Dale Weise back or something?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It's not a long time even in the current context we're discussing. People who lived the riots are still alive. Posters who went to high school in the 90s who had older history teachers were taught by some who lived through them either as teens or adults themselves. Heck, in your own post you start by saying its a long time (which is, frankly, an impossible POV to defend) then end the same paragraph by admitting there's still residual effects from previous eras.

And, again, you're missing the whole point in your second paragraph. The context of the time was that they were told they weren't good enough and those that were didn't get the chance to show it. So, yeah, having the NHL superstar in Maurice Richard be held down, unfairly or not, by the non french canadian powers that be had a huge cultural significance.

And all of this discussion isn't about the merits of having local players, but whether the Canadiens are part of the culture or not. Which, they are.

Well time is relative (thank you Einstein). 50 years represents half of the history of the NHL and is long enough to measure change but you're right it is not long enough to completely change an entire culture. It may take generations for that to happen.

I agree that the Canadiens are a cultural phenomenon that hold a significant importance and I said less than a week ago that the Habs are the hill the francophones have chosen to die on. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

I have a hard time seeing people not getting behind the Habs winning the Cup led by Alex Kovalev for example but you still have your die hards. Maurice Richard was held down and Al MacNeil was fired for that egregious error despite winning the Stanley Cup. But what we have now is the opposite and inverse situation with a francophone coach favoring an inferior Bouillon over Norris winner PK Subban and Desharnais over a 30 goal scorer 3rd overall playing 12 minutes a game! A decision that has led the beloved Montreal Canadiens and potential stanley cup contender to becoming one of the worst teams in the NHL. Not only have they become culturally insignificant but actually the joke of the league. Where is the great Quebec pride? Where is the fan outcry? Anger has been replaced by apathy. Did the Quebec people ever really care about the Habs and the success of the team or just motivated by their own political agendas?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Lmfao we have our center! He will log more minutes as center than anyone on our team.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Well time is relative (thank you Einstein). 50 years represents half of the history of the NHL and is long enough to measure change but you're right it is not long enough to completely change an entire culture. It may take generations for that to happen.

I agree that the Canadiens are a cultural phenomenon that hold a significant importance and I said less than a week ago that the Habs are the hill the francophones have chosen to die on. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

I have a hard time seeing people not getting behind the Habs winning the Cup led by Alex Kovalev for example but you still have your die hards. Maurice Richard was held down and Al MacNeil was fired for that egregious error despite winning the Stanley Cup. But what we have now is the opposite and inverse situation with a francophone coach favoring an inferior Bouillon over Norris winner PK Subban and Desharnais over a 30 goal scorer 3rd overall playing 12 minutes a game! A decision that has led the beloved Montreal Canadiens and potential stanley cup contender to becoming one of the worst teams in the NHL. Not only have they become culturally insignificant but actually the joke of the league. Where is the great Quebec pride? Where is the fan outcry? Anger has been replaced by apathy. Did the Quebec people ever really care about the Habs and the success of the team or just motivated by their own political agendas?

I'm not getting into that last part as its a complex and sensitive issue.

But, I agree Habs fans would have, in majority, no problem getting behind a PK or Kovalev leading a cup win. Heck, they didn't and they both still have huge followings here.

In regards to the teams significance in Montreal, the problem I'm seing at the moment is the team needs to shift its philosophy from being obliged to french management/players (which is a disavantage) to looking at it as an advantage.

And it is, we usually get to be chosen first whenever french canadian coaches/scouts/managers or overage players want to sign with a team. So, we should use that advantage. It's also an advantage with players like Deslauriers and Danault, at least in terms of their motivation to become players. Seeing it as an obligation means you end up with a Michel Therrien playing a Bouillon over PK.

But, that's also true of our advantage over non french canadian players who were fans like Subban or over our positive image with european players.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
You think?

IMO they're similar.

Really?

I think that Danaut has less offensive potential than Eller and it's uncertain that he has that extra gear that Eller has in the playoffs. Nothing in Danault's game screams offense. He might have increased his offensive potential a little by playing with Patches and Radu, an opportunity that is rare for a player of his calibre but not enough to make a difference. Eller is bigger and better at protecting the puck. I saw a lot of exciting things to like in Eller's game,I liked him a lot. As much as you can like a 3rd line C. Danault just strikes me as generic and easily replaceable.

His 25 points in 52 games is kind of impressive but like Milhouse40 said he won't put up those kind of numbers playing strictly a 3rd line role. Not even Eller or Plekanec could do it. As a 3rd liner over the full course of a season he'll be close to 25-27 points.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's really not that uncommon - the Leafs always want to get Ontario kids - the Western teams always want to get Western kids - the Wild always are looking for Minnesota kids - Minnesotans are HUGE hockey fans with the best high school hockey in the US and they also have fans who would prefer that the club select more local high school kids. Etc Etc...

It's just a part of the game. I'm sure in Russia fans want more Russians and in Sweden fans want more Swedes. It's as normal as complaining about the weather.

None of it is a problem as long as Bergevin doesn't overpay to get local kids which he has never done. He does a great job picking up local kids where he can at low prices and giving them a chance, but he also goes out and gets other guys like Mike Reilly and gives them a chance - so there is really no issue with language. I'm not sure why you are complaining about it. Do you really want Dale Weise back or something?

But none for those fans bases are crying like little girls every draft because they didn't picked up more or any francophone like here. It's like that every years. They've put enough pressure that the Habs even throw the work of thier scouts in the toilet to draft the hometown guy to please some vocal fans(Louis Leblanc).

As for Bergevin. Let's just say that he should have traded Sergachev for what the team was really looking for and it wasn't Drouin at all. Same can be said about Briere's signing. He was the last thing the Habs needed at the point but he still signed him anyway. Still don't have clue why they stick with Desharnais for so long instead of going with their kids instead.

But let's get to the basic about Bergevin.....this is the only reason he got hired as a GM in the 1st place which hurt this organisation in so many ways. It was that same reason that led to the hire of incompetent fools like Houle, Gauthier or Tremblay also.

I think it's 2 years ago that ''Le journal de Montreal'' had on the front page: Une défaite sans québécois.
You don't see crap like that in Minnesota or in Toronto.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I have at least 15 huge Habs fans where i work. Not one of them gives a shit about having french canadians players or coaches or whatever. All my friends who are also huge habs fans: They don't care. In my family, no one cares.

Truth is, it's a really small but vocal part of the fan bases led by some french medias members and Mr. Peladeau that are keeping asking for this but i've asked enough fans to know that most of them really don't give a shit, they only wants the team to win no matter what.

Reactions: Bryson

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Really?

I think that Danaut has less offensive potential than Eller and it's uncertain that he has that extra gear that Eller has in the playoffs. Nothing in Danault's game screams offense. He might have increased his offensive potential a little by playing with Patches and Radu, an opportunity that is rare for a player of his calibre but not enough to make a difference. Eller is bigger and better at protecting the puck. I saw a lot of exciting things to like in Eller's game,I liked him a lot. As much as you can like a 3rd line C. Danault just strikes me as generic and easily replaceable.

His 25 points in 52 games is kind of impressive but like Milhouse40 said he won't put up those kind of numbers playing strictly a 3rd line role. Not even Eller or Plekanec could do it. As a 3rd liner over the full course of a season he'll be close to 25-27 points.

It is true that Danault was garbage against the Rangers in the 2017 playoffs. However, I'm of the general opinion that we forgive most players if they struggle in their first playoff performance. Should Danault continue to be ineffective the next time that the Habs make the playoffs (in 2021 or 2022 probably), then that will become a legitimate knock against him. The playoffs are simply harder, more competitive, we know that many great players struggled in their first playoffs and that's fine.

What we know about Danault is his regular season effectiveness. His defensive acumen is sound, so for example that gives the Habs the flexibility to put rookies on his line. His offensive ability is adequate for a middle-six centre. Though he has no potential to ever reach 50 points (Eller might), he can get a good 30+ points on the 3rd line. When he does so, he will do so as a contributor, rather than a passenger, to his line.

Reactions: Bryson

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
But none for those fans bases are crying like little girls every draft because they didn't picked up more or any francophone like here. It's like that every years. They've put enough pressure that the Habs even throw the work of thier scouts in the toilet to draft the hometown guy to please some vocal fans(Louis Leblanc).

As for Bergevin. Let's just say that he should have traded Sergachev for what the team was really looking for and it wasn't Drouin at all. Same can be said about Briere's signing. He was the last thing the Habs needed at the point but he still signed him anyway. Still don't have clue why they stick with Desharnais for so long instead of going with their kids instead.

But let's get to the basic about Bergevin.....this is the only reason he got hired as a GM in the 1st place which hurt this organisation in so many ways. It was that same reason that led to the hire of incompetent fools like Houle, Gauthier or Tremblay also.

I think it's 2 years ago that ''Le journal de Montreal'' had on the front page: Une défaite sans québécois.

Well I disagree with you on many points. Mainly because you are using assumptions and rumours as if they were facts. For instance, I don't think the only reason Bergevin got the job was because he was French. I also think he is doing a much better job than many around here give him credit for.

And fan bases do complain that there aren't enough Minnesotans drafted (in Minnesota). That there aren't enough Ontario kids drafted (in Toronto - see Don Cherry), etc.

I mean I understand your point, you aren't a Nationalist. That's fine. But about half of the province are (give or take), so there will be Nationalist undertones in some of the criticism of the team. But you are jumping to conclusions when you say that the team is pressured by Nationalism to make bad decisions. Bergevin certainly hasn't made any bad decisions because of reaching for French Canadian kids. I mean, he has acquired some (at fair values and often at very good values), but that is just common sense to do that. All well-run organizations would do the same.

In fact, I would argue the opposite in this example. I mean here is a thread for a good 3rd line center, who Bergevin acquired for next to nothing, signing a good contract with a low cap hit, and you are complaining about language. So I would argue that you are looking for problems where none exist. Must the Habs have absolutely no French players on the team in order to prove they are not biased? That would be silly.

But just as there are Nationalists who prioritize French-Canadians, there are also those who will point at any French-Canadian and say they are under-qualified or only on the team because they are French. The reality is that French-Canadians are some of the best hockey players in the world (I mean Canada in general is and then 1/4 of Canadians are French), so there are plenty of talented hockey players and hockey people in Quebec and the Canadiens would be smart to recruit some, when the price is right and they are available, as Bergevin has been doing. And that is smart both because it will make some fans happy and because the team will benefit. They are not mutually exclusive - the Habs won plenty of cups with talented French Canadians throughout their lineup and other teams have done the same too in the last few years.

Reactions: Astormynight

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I guess this board will only be happy when no quebecois kids are on the team. Because only then will there be no prejudice.

Wait what

A lot of us want there to be a few Quebecois on the team. Please read carefully and stop paintbrushing -- we're having a two-sided debate on the issue.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
For all of the people whining that the Habs only hire Francophone coaches, I'll remind you that the other 30 teams only hire Anglophone coaches.

Does anybody of sound mind actually believe that there are no qualified coaches in Europe and Russia who would be interested in making 2-4 million/year coaching an NHL team?

Lol of course there are.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well I disagree with you on many points. Mainly because you are using assumptions and rumours as if they were facts. For instance, I don't think the only reason Bergevin got the job was because he was French. I also think he is doing a much better job than many around here give him credit for.

And fan bases do complain that there aren't enough Minnesotans drafted (in Minnesota). That there aren't enough Ontario kids drafted (in Toronto - see Don Cherry), etc.

I mean I understand your point, you aren't a Nationalist. That's fine. But about half of the province are (give or take), so there will be Nationalist undertones in some of the criticism of the team. But you are jumping to conclusions when you say that the team is pressured by Nationalism to make bad decisions. Bergevin certainly hasn't made any bad decisions because of reaching for French Canadian kids. I mean, he has acquired some (at fair values and often at very good values), but that is just common sense to do that. All well-run organizations would do the same.

In fact, I would argue the opposite in this example. I mean here is a thread for a good 3rd line center, who Bergevin acquired for next to nothing, signing a good contract with a low cap hit, and you are complaining about language. So I would argue that you are looking for problems where none exist. Must the Habs have absolutely no French players on the team in order to prove they are not biased? That would be silly.

But just as there are Nationalists who prioritize French-Canadians, there are also those who will point at any French-Canadian and say they are under-qualified or only on the team because they are French. The reality is that French-Canadians are some of the best hockey players in the world (I mean Canada in general is and then 1/4 of Canadians are French), so there are plenty of talented hockey players and hockey people in Quebec and the Canadiens would be smart to recruit some, when the price is right and they are available, as Bergevin has been doing. And that is smart both because it will make some fans happy and because the team will benefit. They are not mutually exclusive - the Habs won plenty of cups with talented French Canadians throughout their lineup and other teams have done the same too in the last few years.
Sorry, you lost me at MB doing a better job than being given credit for.

Reactions: groovejuice

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
A lot of us want there to be a few Quebecois on the team. Please read carefully and stop paintbrushing -- we're having a two-sided debate on the issue.

It was a joke, because everyone seems to be painting everything with wide brushes.

When a 3c who has honestly played well for the team gets a good contract he deserves and people are complaining about french, it starts to get excessive. I understand DD, but people are clearly too short-sighted to see that prejudice colours their arguments too.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
For all of the people whining that the Habs only hire Francophone coaches, I'll remind you that the other 30 teams only hire Anglophone coaches.

Does anybody of sound mind actually believe that there are no qualified coaches in Europe and Russia who would be interested in making 2-4 million/year coaching an NHL team?

Lol of course there are.
The other teams do sometimes, hire french coaches...it happens, ask CJ, he won a Cup with the Bruins...

The other 30 teams always hire who they feel is the best candidate...the Habs almost never do that, we hire the best franco candidate, to placate the franco media...it's true. Hey, it is what it is, and we all have to deal with it...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Yeah it's been tremendous. A real bang up job.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The other teams do sometimes, hire french coaches...it happens, ask CJ, he won a Cup with the Bruins...

The other 30 teams always hire who they feel is the best candidate...the Habs almost never do that, we hire the best franco candidate, to placate the franco media...it's true. Hey, it is what it is, and we all have to deal with it...

The other thirty teams hire the best white, North American candidate.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Sorry, you lost me at MB doing a better job than being given credit for.
28th place team = doing a good job... can't make this stuff up, there's actually people who believe he's doing a good job.

With standards like this I need a new job. Preferably one where I don't have to do any work and not be held accountable for anything but still get paid lol.

It was a joke, because everyone seems to be painting everything with wide brushes.

When a 3c who has honestly played well for the team gets a good contract he deserves and people are complaining about french, it starts to get excessive. I understand DD, but people are clearly too short-sighted to see that prejudice colours their arguments too.

Except that Danault never played 3C. He played 1C and 2C like Desharnais. Maybe wake the f*** up and realize that people's problem with the player isn't his language but his usage.

When the best move of the summer for your GM is him simply extending a third line player then you have a problem. This won't bring us a cup and won't even make us a bubble team. It's a nothing move and you want us to give credit to this moron GM for this?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

well, right now what we see is fans crying like little girls at the possibility of the Habs getting a french speaking player/coach/etc.

there is less french speaking players on the Habs, none at goalie, none at D, very few at forward, none with a A or C, none really in Laval... and people are still freaking out hearing french words or something ??

wusses...

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad