Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Phillip Danault to 3-Year Deal ($3.083M AAV)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
year in and year out lol. Petty? If you watch games and think Danault has better offensive talent than Eller that's your opinion, but don't expect to convince me who also watches the games and sees something completely different.
What is offensive talent ? I love Eller, freaking do, loved him and I was probably his most hardcore fan on this board when he was here, but if you believe Eller has some kind of crazy offensive talent I don't know what to tell you. He has a good tool box, better than Danault for sure, but theres many ways to produce points.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
What is offensive talent ? I love Eller, freaking do, loved him and I was probably his most hardcore fan on this board when he was here, but if you believe Eller has some kind of crazy offensive talent I don't know what to tell you. He has a good tool box, better than Danault for sure, but theres many ways to produce points.

Like being played above your competency on a team that is absolutely terrible? Eller, has better puck protection, ability to dominate down low, better shot etc, Danault is glorified grinder playing in a role he should never be in. If he's your number 2 you're in dire shape. Players don't play in a vacuum and I don't see much offensive talent in his game at all. Paul Byron is another one, back to back 20 goal scorer, but really, I don't see the offensive talent there either, love the guy as a player, but he's getting opportunities he should never have in games that have never really mattered. Bad players on bad teams sometimes put up better numbers than they should, but it doesn't change my evaluation of their skillset.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Like being played above your competency on a team that is absolutely terrible? Eller, has better puck protection, ability to dominate down low, better shot etc, Danault is glorified grinder playing in a role he should never be in. If he's your number 2 you're in dire shape. Players don't play in a vacuum and I don't see much offensive talent in his game at all. Paul Byron is another one, back to back 20 goal scorer, but really, I don't see the offensive talent there either, love the guy as a player, but he's getting opportunities he should never have in games that have never really mattered. Bad players on bad teams sometimes put up better numbers than they should, but it doesn't change my evaluation of their skillset.
Why is it this argument for Danault, but the argument is "when Eller was given opportunities he produced? Its more of the same.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Why is it this argument for Danault, but the argument is "when Eller was given opportunities he produced? Its more of the same.

I never argued about Eller's 10 Game playoff sample. I was speaking on talent/skillset alone, you seem to be the one stuck on results here?

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Yes Eric Engels is claiming that signing a third line player to a short term contract is one of Bergevin's best moves... after 7 years as GM. Can't make this stuff up.

Gawd, thanks for reminding me why I stopped following him on Twitter.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If it wasn't for my concern that keeping Drouin at centre will mess him up, I would be fine leaving him at centre as a WTH , what do we have to lose thing.

But because of that concern we don't really have a choice other than Danault as 1C. Then DLR/ Peca as 2C / 3C and Pleks at 4C.

Drouin....... Danault.......Gallagher
Domi............DLR .............Scherbak
Hudson........Peca.............Lehkonen
Byron...........Pleks............Armia

Shaw messes this up when he comes back because you know he will be in the line up and I want the young skill guys to be given every chance,. And yes, it's likely Armia plays higher up.

What's funny is our D is worse than our forwards. Yikes.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
And yet... Danault is the one that outproduces him year in and year out... Weird.

I love Eller BTW, you guys are just so damn petty.

Year in and year out? Talk about grasping at straws. Danault outproduced Eller literally for ONE season when he played with two of the league's best wingers in which he put up 40 points. Eller put up 38 playing as a real 3rd line role, not some pseudo 1st liner. By the same age Eller had put up 13 points in the playoffs playing with freaking Rene Bourque and was the best forward on the team. Danault put up 2 points in the PO, again playing with the team's two best forwards.

If you love Eller as much as you say you do then you shouldn't insult him by comparing the two. They are not comparable.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Year in and year out? Talk about grasping at straws. Danault outproduced Eller literally for ONE season when he played with two of the league's best wingers in which he put up 40 points. Eller put up 38 playing as a real 3rd line role, not some pseudo 1st liner. By the same age Eller had put up 13 points in the playoffs playing with freaking Rene Bourque and was the best forward on the team. Danault put up 2 points in the PO, again playing with the team's two best forwards.

If you love Eller as much as you say you do then you shouldn't insult him by comparing the two. They are not comparable.
Jesus...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Every player potentially becomes a UFA when their contract is up. Relatively few go that route. In 2021, I highly doubt Danault's decision will come down to the contract negotiations of two long-departed players from 2017.
you missed the point entirely.
(shown by the fact you called it negotiations)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
you missed the point entirely.
(shown by the fact you called it negotiations)
No, I didn't. You criticized Danault's current contract because of his next contract, which you stated he won't re-sign because of some imaginary impression of Bergevin and other player contracts. Those were your words and they were based on nothing.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No, I didn't. You criticized Danault's current contract because of his next contract, which you stated he won't re-sign because of some imaginary impression of Bergevin and other player contracts. Those were your words and they were based on nothing.
wrong.
wrong again.

So yeah, you missed the point, you just showed it here.

Now make sure to read and understand posts before quoting them, or don't bother.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
wrong.
wrong again.

So yeah, you missed the point, you just showed it here.

Now make sure to read and understand posts before quoting them, or don't bother.
Lol. You were wrong and are now backpedaling. Here's your quote:

he saw how Markov and Radulov were treated by this team, he's seeing how this GM cares about his captain...

do you really wanna bet Habs will be his first choice once his contract is over ? cause he'll be UFA after is contract is up...

As I said, you criticized Danault's current contract by inventing a problem with his next contract. He won't re-sign because he's unhappy with how Markov and Radulov were treated? What?? And this is supposed to make his new contract bad?? Again... what??

If you don't want to look foolish, don't post nonsense.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yes Eric Engels is claiming that signing a third line player to a short term contract is one of Bergevin's best moves... after 7 years as GM. Can't make this stuff up.

Engels has become somewhat of a sycophant since graduating from Eklund's tutelage, but that post can certainly be interpreted in 2 vastly different ways.

Think of it as a backhanded compliment / faint praise. It may indeed fall into the realm of Bergevin's better moves, but that's hardly a scintillating vote of confidence given the unbalanced ratio of awful to unnecessary to decent to excellent.

Reactions: Bryson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad