Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Matthew Peca (2-Years @ $1.3M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
5 of 12 forwards & Drouin, Plekanec & Lehkonen aren't exactly big or play big either.

We don't exactly have a tough D.

Small team. We better be fast.
In addition those are some of our 'best' players. Not like that matters in the playoffs when hockey tightens up and the refs put the whistles away.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I've been following hockey for over 30 years and it's the first time i hear about this rule. It just show you how unusual the situation is. Those type of guys never get multiple years one way NHL contract over the league's minimum. Pretty much never happen (yeah there's surely exceptions like for all things). If you are over 25 and have less than 80 games played you'll get a two way contract at best most of the time.

Yes most players in that situation are just let go by their team, Tampa wanted to resign him as rfa minimum, he decided to hit the UFA market himself since he had the right to.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You know you are a ****ty and not dangerous team when one of our biggest rival like Tampa Bay are trying to reassure us as to how good Matthew freakin Peca is…..
Got a pedigree. I can see MB trading Ottawa Patches and two 2nds for Tkuchuck

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It's an interesting signing to say the least. I know many hate that move, but we're not losing anything here. It's low risk/high reward. The kid might surprise us or might not bring anything of worth. It's a bit concerning that we are getting smaller everyday but if he has the skills to play and contribute I am for it. If not, he will be a threat in Laval.

Will be watching closely,
Honesty I am getting real tired of this on every freaking trade this GM makes. Then in 6 months : "It doesn't matter it didn't cost us anything" Meanwhile our prospect stagnate we lose another year of prime time for our our best players and we sink a little further in the standings while this roster spots does nothing to improve the team. Outside of Byron and Petry last season we have nothing to show for in 6 years...oh yeah we have DSP and Eller winning a cup because they sucked to much on the habs.

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Honesty I am getting real tired of this on every freaking trade this GM makes. Then in 6 months : "It doesn't matter it didn't cost us anything" Meanwhile our prospect stagnate we lose another year of prime time for our our best players and we sink a little further in the standings while this roster spots does nothing to improve the team. Outside of Byron and Petry last season we have nothing to show for in 6 years...oh yeah we have DSP and Eller winning a cup because they sucked to much on the habs.

I don't think i could agree more with something that i agree with this post.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Those types of moves don't prevent GMs from actually adding to the core of their team. They also aren't going to block actual quality prospects in the system.

Just because Bergevin is a bad GM, doesn't mean these types of trades aren't smart. Literally every team makes those types of moves.

Reactions: Peanut

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I have no doubt Peca can do 40 points if you give him lot of TOI in a top 6. We have seen a couple of average bottom 6 guys in the past 25 years doing 40 points here while getting undeserved TOI (Petrov, Zholtok, Bulis, ...). The real question is can Peca be better than the options we already have (Danault, Lehkonen, Hudon, Shaw, Byron and Armia). I firmly believe the answer to that question is no.

If the plan is to fill a jersey with him after trading Patch and Byron this season and then flip him for a pick at the 2020 deadline then fair. But i'm far from sure this is MB's plan. Time will tell.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I have no doubt Peca can do 40 points if you give him lot of TOI in a top 6. We have seen a couple of average bottom 6 guys in the past 25 years doing 40 points here while getting undeserved TOI (Petrov, Zholtok, Bulis, ...). The real question is can Peca be better than the options we already have (Danault, Lehkonen, Hudon, Shaw, Byron and Armia). I firmly believe the answer to that question is no.

If the plan is to fill a jersey with him after trading Patch and Byron this season and then flip him for a pick at the 2020 deadline then fair. But i'm far from sure this is MB's plan. Time will tell.

Peca is a center. Not really sure why you're comparing him to wingers.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Those types of moves don't prevent GMs from actually adding to the core of their team. They also aren't going to block actual quality prospects in the system.

Just because Bergevin is a bad GM, doesn't mean these types of trades aren't smart. Literally every team makes those types of moves.
That is the ONLY moves he makes. They are the very reason he is named bargainbin. All we do is dumpster dive trying to find a rose in a bucket of poop. With ALL the moves we have made like this we have Byron and a list of almost 100 fails. 1% success doesn't strike me as a good strategy. But hey whatever floats your boat. Its not like I expect the habs to win a cup in the next 12 years anyway.

We can keep picking up garbage while trading good players for weaker ones and many on here will say "look it doesn't hurt us and other GMs do these kind of moves" . But other GMs are actually making their top lines better, not their 4th line or AHL club-the habs strategy that doesn't work!

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
That is the ONLY moves he makes. They are the very reason he is named bargainbin. All we do is dumpster dive trying to find a rose in a bucket of poop. With ALL the moves we have made like this we have Byron and a list of almost 100 fails. 1% success doesn't strike me as a good strategy. But hey whatever floats your boat. Its not like I expect the habs to win a cup in the next 12 years anyway.

We can keep picking up garbage while trading good players for weaker ones and many on here will say "look it doesn't hurt us and other GMs do these kind of moves" . But other GMs are actually making their top lines better, not their 4th line or AHL club-the habs strategy that doesn't work!

I'm pretty sure he also has the:

-Trade a better player for a worse player "hockey trade" move.
-Massively overpay a gritty D-man move.
-Trade futures for a winger and then overpay them before they play a game for you move.
-Loyalty is a one way street non-move.

Plus mediocre drafting and brutal development.

But yes, lets complain because he makes low risk acquisitions that often lead to the only successes he's had.

When Washington did that, eventually getting their hands on Kempny and DSP it was just a waste of time. Ditto with Pittsburgh and Schultz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad