Post-Game Talk: Habs @ Sens - 1/15/2015 - Montreal Typical

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
50% is even, which means equal number of shot attempts for both teams at even strength

The higher the better, although there are score effects and other stuff, so it's more complicated than that.

Thanks again.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, their is improvement.

We again outshot the opponent and kept the opponent to under 30 shots.

We still need to improve our defense and our offense.

If we do both, we should be good to go imo.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
If someone has some time to lose I'd like to catch up on some things. Can someone explain to me what is corsi and fenwick for example and a couple of advanced stats?

I am a huge stat fan and I watch A LOT of hockey and played at a high level all my life but we never had these things.

Please keep in mind I am ok in english but not crazy good, though task :) I would appreciate

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't see a reason why Lats would lie. What would be the reason? So I tend to believe him. It's a plausible scenario.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If someone has some time to lose I'd like to catch up on some things. Can someone explain to me what is corsi and fenwick for example and a couple of advanced stats?

I am a huge stat fan and I watch A LOT of hockey and played at a high level all my life but we never had these things.

Please keep in mind I am ok in english but not crazy good, though task :) I would appreciate

Basically shots directed at net including those that are blocked or miss.

Fenwick is the same thing without shots blocked i believe

Then theres offensive zone start percentage and defensive zone start percentage

Offensive zone start and finish percentage

Then theres quality of competition which is measured by the corsi of the players youre looking up is playing against

then theres a few quality of competitions stats that describe how well someone does against the their quality of competition

then theres PDO better known as the luck stat(hoffman leads the league) its on ice shooting percentage plus save percentage and a player over 1000 is generally considered lucky.
PDO is on ice shooting percentage + on ice save percentage. This means when the player is on the ice players are scoring without shooting much and his goalie is saving the puck more then often. Could be wrong about PDO though

Example a player with high quality of competition, high corsi relative to competition, low offensive zone start percentage and high offensive zone finish percentage at the end of their shift is being used in a defensive role against good player and is controlling the play.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Think of Corsi and Fenwick as a +/- for shot attempts (shots, blocked shots, missed shots... I think Fenwick leaves out blocked shots). Probably the simplest way to describe it. The idea is that if you're shooting the puck, you have possession. If you have possession, you're controlling the game... and that there's a lot more shot attempts over the course of the game to do fancy statistical analysis compared to just using goals.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's funny. Looked like Gryba had a rough game when compared to all our other D. Yet, he has the highest ES corsi.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
It's funny. Looked like Gryba had a rough game when compared to all our other D. Yet, he has the highest ES corsi.

I find that guys like Gryba and Cowen can play a solid game and then sudden make a HUGE mistake that leads to a goalie being hung out to dry on a great scoring chance. Not saying that has anything to do with his corsi though

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

I've been impressed with him lately. Pretty solid bottom pair guy. Could be better but he fills the role pretty good in the meantime till the upgrade.
Yeah vesa^ it's those mistakes that make you think we need an upgrade.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Thanks Vesa and Caeldan I appreciate.

Vesa on Cowen, I agree with you, tonight was a rough game for him got beat a couple of times by Gallagher and by Pac on the goal. Gryba got beat on the outside couple times too even got a hooking call

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
gryba got beat wide a couple of times cause of footspeed

cowen also seemed slow at certain points...overall a good game by everyone

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This was a terrific road game. I think the boys are buying into the system more and more, imo. We've put up a string of games where the team is outshooting the other team and putting pucks on net instead of dangling. Reminding me of a strong boston team with a system in tact.

Karlsson was superb. Entire team played an excellent home game and made Montreal look like nobodies.

The Bobby Ryan hit was the exclamation point in the game that changed the momentum our way and montreal never recovered from it. It was like Gryba's hit on Eller where we just said "sit the **** down you're nobody".

Methot+Confidence= Norris trophy Karlsson

Exactly this. The guy just needs an NHL caliber defender to play with and he'll do some damage.

good game. trade for hemsky

Lmao, i burst out laughing.

Gawgous.

Really liked how they shut it down in the third. Just 6 shots for habs when they desperately needed to score.

Again, this is so so important. Sens are buying into the system against a team that is extremely hard to detain no matter how good you are. VERY encouraging.

Methot was also terrific imo.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
The best game so far from Lazar and Pageau this season. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from these two young lads. Pageau was all over the ****ing ice tonight, the kid just seemed to have an extra step tonight. Lazar showed flashes of magically carrying the puck, passing etc... the same kind of bounce he brought to the world juniors... That was a beautiful hit by BR tonight on the pesky Russian D. Totally laid him out. The hit of the year so far!!... Mr. Anderson, thank you, thank you and I'll leave it a that... Does Eric Karlsson love to play against Montreal or what? We saw shades of the old EK tonight. His goal was a beaut!...The Habs are SOFT! :laugh: We were banging the **** out of them again tonight. I think they know to a man that we'd beat them again in a 7-game series. When it comes to toughness Montreal loses!!... Nice seeing PK Subban sprawling all over the ice and the dejected look on his face when Condra buried the empty netter! SWEET!! :nod:

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Every habs game I watch they are so unimpressive I have no idea how they are 2nd in the league.

Price is that good.

They have a very similar team to the Sens IMO when you compare player per player. Just more expensive and experimented. It goes for coaching too... Therrien does a great job with what he has.

Pacioretty vs Ryan
Subban vs Karlsson
Plekanec vs Turris
Galchenyuk vs Zibanejad
Gallagher vs Hoffman
Markov vs Methot
Desharnais vs MacArthur
Eller vs Legwand
Parenteau vs Michalek
Weise vs Chiasson
Sekac vs Stone
Prust vs Neil
Bournival vs Pageau
Malhotra vs Smith
Emelin vs Gryba
Tinordi vs Cowen
Beaulieu vs Ceci
Gilbert vs Wiercioch
Weaver vs Boro
Gonchar vs Phillips
Price vs Andy
Tokarski vs Lehner

I think I'd only take Price, Eller, Galchenyuk and Markov. They are a lot more expensive though

That goal by Pacioretty sure is debatable on whether it was a weak goal let in by Anderson.

First off, you really shouldn't allow a goal scorer like Pacioretty on a breakaway.

On the goal itself, it was kind of weakish, but Pacioretty is a goal scorer. Anderson did come out and challenge him, but Pacioretty found his five hole.

It is what it is.

As an amateur goalie, I'd say it was weak for NHL standards. Period. Andy would tell you the same.

It was not really what you can call a breakaway but a weak shot from the hashmarks and Cowen was all over him. Everytime a puck goes through you it's a weak goal, unless there is traffic in front of you or it was a deke. He got fooled and didn't expect the trajectory. Almost seemed like "he was not ready", which is what his body language says after the goal.

He was on the roster, but he wasn't 'part of the team'. That's all I meant.

Which means absolutely nothing, just an outsider opinion...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Price is that good.

They have a very similar team to the Sens IMO when you compare player per player. Just more expensive and experimented. It goes for coaching too... Therrien does a great job with what he has.
based on current ability
Pacioretty vs Ryan 40 goal scorer versus 30 imo
Subban vs Karlsson karl
Plekanec vs Turris plek
Galchenyuk vs Zibanejad agree but not by as much as people think
Gallagher vs Hoffman Hoffman
Markov vs Methot pretty equal some teams with needs take meth others take marko
Desharnais vs MacArthur mac but im not prepared to dismiss des' 50 point season
Eller vs Legwand based on ability? eller i guess
Parenteau vs Michalek parenteau michalek is just too bad offensive to make up for whatever defense ability he has over PAP
Weise vs Chiasson chiasson
Sekac vs Stone stone
Prust vs Neil neil
Bournival vs Pageau pageau
Malhotra vs Smith malhotra if smith doesnt get out of his skid
Emelin vs Gryba Emilin
Tinordi vs Cowen Cowen
Beaulieu vs Ceci Ceci
Gilbert vs Wiercioch even
Weaver vs Boro Weaver is a better shot blocker and more refined then boro
Gonchar vs Phillips dunno
Price vs Andy price but i dont really think Price does much better then andy on this team
Tokarski vs Lehner Tokarski based on this season

I think I'd only take Price, Eller, Galchenyuk and Markov. They are a lot more expensive though

As an amateur goalie, I'd say it was weak for NHL standards. Period. Andy would tell you the same.

It was not really what you can call a breakaway but a weak shot from the hashmarks and Cowen was all over him. Everytime a puck goes through you it's a weak goal, unless there is traffic in front of you or it was a deke. He got fooled and didn't expect the trajectory. Almost seemed like "he was not ready", which is what his body language says after the goal.

Which means absolutely nothing, just an outsider opinion...

As for the break away goal... did cowen's stick effect it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad