Confirmed with Link: Habs resign Jordan Weal to 2yr 2.8 million deal

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Our PP would improve if we had any one time options other than freaking Weber. If KK realizes he actually needs to shoot the puck on the PP it would instantly improve the PP. The formation should be
Domi
Weber-Gallagher-Kotkaniemi
Drouin

Armia
Tatar-Shaw-Weal
Petry

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They are deep on the backend...but yeah, scoring was a limitation up front for them. When your 2nd line is Granlund-Turris-Grimaldi....you don't think there's a shortage of talent? Especially the way Granlund and Turris were playing? And even if we would agree on this, you cannot take an exception and make it the norm. Pure talent in Florida up front...top PP, bad season. Pure talent up front in edmonton, top 10 PP, bad season etc.

I never said it was the norm, but you were speaking in absolutes.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Our PP would improve if we had any one time options other than freaking Weber. If KK realizes he actually needs to shoot the puck on the PP it would instantly improve the PP.

For that to happen, Chu-Rien would have to play KK on the right half-wall like right after the all-star break, and not on the left point. That place is ridiculous for him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Figuring out that PP.....I have no idea why people say that. You don't figure out a PP. You have enough talented players to make a PP work. That's all. Everybody does the same tactics. Everybody right now use almost the same defensive system. Somehow, other teams can shutdown Weber but are unable to shutdown Ovechkin? Why is that? 'Cause after Weber, there's nothing. After Ovechkin there's something. Pure talent works a PP. Most of our goals are due to hard work. Hard work isn't what a PP is all about.
Pure talent works......yet Nashville was dead last in the league and they have many options.

Florida with the second best....and they are nowhere near Washington and Toronto who were middle of the pack.

Last year Montreal was 12th best in the league I believe.....did we drop because we lost Pacioretty??

Talent is needed, but it goes further then that

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Pure talent works......yet Nashville was dead last in the league and they have many options.

Florida with the second best....and they are nowhere near Washington and Toronto who were middle of the pack.

Last year Montreal was 12th best in the league I believe.....did we drop because we lost Pacioretty??

Talent is needed, but it goes further then that

And again, no they don't. Nashville 2nd line is Granlund-Turris-Grimaldi. Tell me again how they have MANY options. And we are talking about a Granlund and a Turris who struggles big time. If their 1st line don't score, they are done. And they were. And yes Florida was 2nd best....Hoffman being the 4th best goal scorer...Barkov there as well. Look at the top scorers and tell me that there's more than purely talented.

For Florida, something that helped them was getting the 3rd most number of powerplay opportunities. For them, it helped them being better. Yet, it's not perfect but it shows how low on talent they were, Arizona was 5th in PP opportunities, yet sucked in percentages.

Strange that you use Habs record....so if we were 12th last year, and amongst the last this year, did we drop because we just forgot how to run a powerplay? What makes less sense? Forgetting to run a powerplay? Or not having your top guns acting like ones or not having of those?

Yeah, of course, it's rarely just one thing...evertyhing is always plenty of things, but in this case, in the case of powerplays, it's mostly and by a lot about pure talent. Goal scoring abilities, passing abilities, hockey IQ and all those things.

Reactions: bsl

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Seems more like a strategy thing then the lack of skill.

And again how so? How can you know how to run a powerplay? And forget it the next year? How, with all those professionnals either playing or coaching, you are absolutely not able to do squat all freakin year long? How are you not able to adapt? If it's solely strategy, shouldn't they be all fired 'cause clearly they know nothing? Or is it a cop out, just like when we hear the coach say at the end of a game ''we didn't work hard enough'' when the answer is actually '' we are not talented enough'' but you can say the first one, and can't the second one?

Reactions: habsfan891 and bsl

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Seems more like a strategy thing then the lack of skill.
This is a myth. WS is dead on. PP is all about skill. Habs don't have enough. It's not coaching. Or coaching is only a small part of it.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Our PP would improve if we had any one time options other than freaking Weber. If KK realizes he actually needs to shoot the puck on the PP it would instantly improve the PP. The formation should be
Domi
Drouin

Armia
Tatar-Shaw-Weal
Petry

Suzuki is exactly what we need on our pp, a forward with a lethal 1-timer and is a right-handed shot

Reactions: the valiant effort

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki is exactly what we need on our pp, a forward with a lethal 1-timer and is a right-handed shot

Kotkaniemi has all the skills of a half wall guy (shot, vision, stick handling). The problem is he was too slow with his decision making this past year. Hopefully he'll get better as he develops.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Surely, the powerplay is about BOTH skill and systems. Otherwise, one has to prove that the likes of Weber and Drouin are historically bad powerplay players. That's ridiculous. What kind of elite talent Nashville had before they became good and Weber was rocking on their powerplay? David Legwand? We cannot enter the zone for God's sake, despite having elite puck carriers in Domi and Drouin. Tampa was ranked last two seasons ago. Did they lack talent as well?

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This is a myth. WS is dead on. PP is all about skill. Habs don't have enough. It's not coaching. Or coaching is only a small part of it.
Then why are the Leafs middle of the pack??

They have super skilled fwds on two waves, they should be sitting #2-3 in the league no??

You need skill, I never denied this, but don’t tell me you don’t need coaching and strategy, I mean, why the f*** then do they practice the PP?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And again, no they don't. Nashville 2nd line is Granlund-Turris-Grimaldi. Tell me again how they have MANY options. And we are talking about a Granlund and a Turris who struggles big time. If their 1st line don't score, they are done. And they were. And yes Florida was 2nd best....Hoffman being the 4th best goal scorer...Barkov there as well. Look at the top scorers and tell me that there's more than purely talented.

For Florida, something that helped them was getting the 3rd most number of powerplay opportunities. For them, it helped them being better. Yet, it's not perfect but it shows how low on talent they were, Arizona was 5th in PP opportunities, yet sucked in percentages.

Strange that you use Habs record....so if we were 12th last year, and amongst the last this year, did we drop because we just forgot how to run a powerplay? What makes less sense? Forgetting to run a powerplay? Or not having your top guns acting like ones or not having of those?

Yeah, of course, it's rarely just one thing...evertyhing is always plenty of things, but in this case, in the case of powerplays, it's mostly and by a lot about pure talent. Goal scoring abilities, passing abilities, hockey IQ and all those things.
There was an article I cant seem to find anymore as it is a few years old talking about how the biggest factor for a successful PP is luck.
Almost every team in the NHL has enough talent to at least have one good PP unit. You have to look at the absolute worse teams like Ottawa to see teams with not even one decent unit, and those are a big minority.

How does Muller go from PP whisperer to clueless?
As you said, most teams do the same thing on the PP. So what gives? Talent? Well, you talk of Nashville, Forsberg, PK, Josi, Arvid, RyanJo...they do have talent. There is no reason for them to have sucked so badly on the PP given their talent.

As crappy as it sounds, I think luck is biggest factor.

Reactions: Redux91

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
There was an article I cant seem to find anymore as it is a few years old talking about how the biggest factor for a successful PP is luck.
Almost every team in the NHL has enough talent to at least have one good PP unit. You have to look at the absolute worse teams like Ottawa to see teams with not even one decent unit, and those are a big minority.

How does Muller go from PP whisperer to clueless?
As you said, most teams do the same thing on the PP. So what gives? Talent? Well, you talk of Nashville, Forsberg, PK, Josi, Arvid, RyanJo...they do have talent. There is no reason for them to have sucked so badly on the PP given their talent.

As crappy as it sounds, I think luck is biggest factor.

When I talk about talent is just not having it...it's proving it. Clearly, PK has talent...but he didn't show it this year. In all aspects not just the PP. Johansen was their best scorer, 14 freakin goals though. Everybody underperformed offensively. When you compare both Preds teams 17-18 and 18-19, they had 261 goals in 17-18, and only 236 in 18-19 at even strength. We talked about how everybody in Montreal had career years, well the Preds only had Ellis, Ehkolm and Colton Freakin Sissons had career year in points...and we are not talking about a big gap either. So Preds didn't show their talent on PP and ES. As far as we are concerned, we had success on ES 'cause of our hard work. We did mostly grind our goals. Reason why we had success on ES and couldn't on the PP. But yes, luck also works.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I like Weal, decent skill and speed, but lack size. We need to make decision on this with guys like Byron, who I like very much, Peca, that is easy and a few others.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Then why are the Leafs middle of the pack??

They have super skilled fwds on two waves, they should be sitting #2-3 in the league no??

You need skill, I never denied this, but don’t tell me you don’t need coaching and strategy, I mean, why the **** then do they practice the PP?

8 out of 31 is middle of the pack? Then, Toronto is dead last in PP opportunities at home, 14th on the road. Needless to say chances are more PP's could have meant more goals and maybe a higher percentage with such talent. IN the end, Leafs had the less powerplay opportunities of the league with 211. Compared to 286 for the Avs.

Yes, everything needs coaching. Price is the best in the world, and he needs to practice. But everybody with videos know what teams are doing. Everybody knows what kind of PK the other team will give then. In the end, it's how the execution is done. And execution works more with people with talent. The goal of practicing is not reinventing the wheel. It's to do it over and over again so that the execution is repeated during real games.

If it's purely strategy, shouldn't we add Deslauriers to the PP? Shouldn't we add Thompson? Why do we freak out when we don't put our most talented players? If it's a question of strategy, why did people made such a big deal of not having Kotkaniemi? Because we were missing a true talent? Of because we determined that he is amongst the ones who can understand more strategy????

Last edited:

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Weal is clearly better than Peca, clearly worse than Byron.
granted, but we can't have a team with all line composed of small players.
Domi-5"9
Drouin-5"10
Gallagher-5"9
Byron-5"9
Tatar-5"10
Weal-5"10
Shaw-5"11
Mete-5"9 but defense
Hudon-5"10
Peca-5"9

Reactions: Redux91

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Domi-5"9
Drouin-5"10
Gallagher-5"9
Byron-5"9
Tatar-5"10
Weal-5"10
Shaw-5"11
Mete-5"9 but defense
Hudon-5"10
Peca-5"9

Drouin is 6 foot, although he plays like he's smaller than 5 foot 10.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Domi-5"9
Drouin-5"10
Gallagher-5"9
Byron-5"9
Tatar-5"10
Weal-5"10
Shaw-5"11
Mete-5"9 but defense
Hudon-5"10
Peca-5"9

Domi-5"9 (plays bigger than his size)
Drouin-5"10
Gallagher-5"9 (plays bigger than his size)
Byron-5"9 (plays bigger than his size)
Tatar-5"10
Weal-5"10
Shaw-5"11 (plays bigger than his size)
Mete-5"9 but defense
Hudon-5"10 (gone)
Peca-5"9 (gone)

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Domi
Drouin

Armia
Tatar-Shaw-Weal
Petry

The PP stunk because they had no entry stragey and and made bad passes/plays when they were in the zone.

The same group of players could have the PP mid pack if they don't screw up every entry or give the puck away when they have it.

PP is all about gaining the zone (or winning a F'n faceoff) and then making quick fast passes with movement. Habs couldn't do that last year. They barely won and Face offs, entrys were horrible, and pretty much anytime the puck was along the boards you could predict a bad pass and out of the zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad