Confirmed with Link: Habs resign Jordan Weal to 2yr 2.8 million deal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
granted, but we can't have a team with all line composed of small players.
Domi-5"9
Drouin-5"10
Gallagher-5"9
Byron-5"9
Tatar-5"10
Weal-5"10
Shaw-5"11
Mete-5"9 but defense
Hudon-5"10
Peca-5"9

Not just height, but weight. Also, outside of Domi, Gallagher and Shaw, there is a lack of sandpaper.

There needs to be a better asset mix.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not just height, but weight. Also, outside of Domi, Gallagher and Shaw, there is a lack of sandpaper.

There needs to be a better asset mix.

Poehling, Thompson, Weal, Lehkonen, Tatar, and Danault have a little sand paper in their game.

Byron's too light. Kk's too young. Armia's Armia the friendly giant. Drouin has none.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Poehling, Thompson, Weal, Lehkonen, Tatar, and Danault have a little sand paper in their game.

Poehling probably, but haven't seen enough to know. The others are not at the same level of Domi, Shaw and Gallagher. And even these three are limited by their size. We could use at least two additions that are big physical players who can skate.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling probably, but haven't seen enough to know. The others are not at the same level of Domi, Shaw and Gallagher. And even these three are limited by their size. We could uselast two additions that are big physical players who can skate.

Yes I agree. My strategy would be to sign a UFA that's at least as good as Byron and bigger, and then trade Byron for a 2nd. I like Byron. But we have to get bigger. Ideally I'd also do the same with Drouin. But Drouin's value is so low right now I don't see us getting enough in return.

But I'm not GM. Bergevin is. So we'll see what he does. I'm hoping he can get at least 1 UFA top 9, if not a second one and/or a LD like Gardiner.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Yes I agree. My strategy would be to sign a UFA that's at least as good as Byron and bigger, and then trade Byron for a 2nd. I like Byron. But we have to get bigger. Ideally I'd also do the same with Drouin. But Drouin's value is so low right now I don't see us getting enough in return.

But I'm not GM. Bergevin is. So we'll see what he does. I'm hoping he can get at least 1 UFA top 9, if not a second one and/or a LD like Gardiner.

Trading Byron for a 2nd is a poor return. If we wanted to trade him, I'd want at least a first or we might as well keep him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Trading Byron for a 2nd is a poor return. If we wanted to trade him, I'd want at least a first or we might as well keep him.

So what do you do if we sign a winger like Anders Lee or Panarin - or someone else better than Byron?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
So what do you do if we sign a winger like Anders Lee or Panarin - or someone else better than Byron?

I'd rather trade Shaw, Armia, or get rid of 4th liners like Peca, Weise, or Deslauriers. Byron can play on any line, is great on the PK, and has a very reasonable salary.

Injuries happen during the season, I'd rather have Byron there to be moved up the lineup than some of the poor options we had this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd rather trade Shaw, Armia, or get rid of 4th liners like Peca, Weise, or Deslauriers. Byron can play on any line, is great on the PK, and has a very reasonable salary.

Injuries happen during the season, I'd rather have Byron there to be moved up the lineup than some of the poor options we had this year.

I don't see Shaw being traded because he's highly valued by MB. Then again the same is probably true of Byron...

Armia doesn't have much value, is a lot younger, and is one of the few big players that brings a puck possession game. So I trade Byron first - mainly because of the better return...

Peca and Weise are already in Laval imo. Dlo will either be 14th forward or in Laval imo. So they wouldn't be the ones we'd need to take our of a seat to find a seat for a UFA.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Agreed except for the part about Gardiner — I hope the GM finds better.

Reactions: Redux91

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Agreed except for the part about Gardiner — I hope the GM finds better.
Gardiner is getting shitted on in Toronto for 2 years straight , if you think he will leave this shithole to join another one in Montreal. He will do a Kessel but this time he will choice his location.

Would not even surprise if he would end up in Arizona or something. He will get his money anyways because GMs are dumb

Anyways we need more role player in montreal :)

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Byron for a 2nd is terrible asset management. He's been a consistent 20 goal scorer the last 3 seasons, doesn't need much ice time, powerplay or great linemates to score and plays good defense. Overall, he's been more effective than some higher paid members of the team and yet we haven't heard a peep from him complaining. The probability that you're gonna get a player of his caliber in the second round of the draft is minuscule. If he's moved, it should be as part of a bigger deal for a better player.

MC94

May 13, 2018
KK
Danault
Drouin
Domi
Lehkonen
Byron
Tatar
Gallagher
Shaw
Armia
Weal

11 foward with a sure spot

Poehling
Thompson
Deslauriers

Should fight for the 2 spots remaining and the rest with Laval
Won't be much of a fight imo Poehling will almost assuredly be playing game 1 next year and I doubt he goes down

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Byron for a 2nd is terrible asset management. He's been a consistent 20 goal scorer the last 3 seasons, doesn't need much ice time, powerplay or great linemates to score and plays good defense. Overall, he's been more effective than some higher paid members of the team and yet we haven't heard a peep from him complaining. The probability that you're gonna get a player of his caliber in the second round of the draft is minuscule. If he's moved, it should be as part of a bigger deal for a better player.

If you think that lil body is getting "more" durable as he approaches 30, you're in for a surprise

i love the guy, but that extension made no sense

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If you think that lil body is getting "more" durable as he approaches 30, you're in for a surprise

i love the guy, but that extension made no sense

Can you actually prove that bigger players get injured less often than smaller players?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Bigger stronger human beings hurting smaller less strong human beings...?

Does common sense about cover it for you or do you really need science and statistics..?

Yeah well, usually bigger means less mobile, less agile, less shifty, they can probably hit harder due to their mass but I don't think there's such a huge correlation though...

Was Plekanec big and stuff ? The guy missed like 6 games in his entire career!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yeah well, usually bigger means less mobile, less agile, less shifty, they can probably hit harder due to their mass but I don't think there's such a huge correlation though...

Was Plekanec big and stuff ? The guy missed like 6 games in his entire career!

"Yeah well, thats just like, my opinion, ..man" right?
If you cant see that Byron's injuries this season are DIRECTLY correlated to "bigger means they can probably hit harder due to their mass but I don't think there's such a huge correlation though..."
Then I dont know what to tell you lol.......

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I got so confused about what this thread was about.WEAL,surprise surprise. Good insurance, helps not too rush any kids.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you cant see that Byron's injuries this season are DIRECTLY correlated to "bigger means they can probably hit harder due to their mass but I don't think there's such a huge correlation though..."
Bigger stronger human beings hurting smaller less strong human beings...?

Does common sense about cover it for you or do you really need science and statistics..?
Dustin Byfuglien is massive...he hasn't been able to stay healthy the last 2yrs

Ben Bishop is one of the NHL's biggest goalies if not the biggest, he's been injury prone his entire career.

When smaller players get hurt, people always point to their size as the cause.

When bigger players get hurt, no one says it's because of their size.

These are just narratives, injuries are for the most part random occurrences that can happen to anyone, of any size at any time.

Reactions: Belial

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Bro, with your logic bigger players, would never get injured but they actually do because shit happens!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Dustin Byfuglien is massive...he hasn't been able to stay healthy the last 2yrs

Ben Bishop is one of the NHL's biggest goalies if not the biggest, he's been injury prone his entire career.

When smaller players get hurt, people always point to their size as the cause.

When bigger players get hurt, no one says it's because of their size.

These are just narratives, injuries are for the most part random occurrences that can happen to anyone, of any size at any time.

Absolutely, except, this has nothing to do with what "I" said, merely the questionable reply I was given.
I said i love byron and what he's done for us, but the extension is nevertheless questionable.
I was retorted with an invitation to uselessly debate the stature of players with correlation to their injuries, that has now gone to 3 posts uselessly debating an arbitration on our opinions regarding something NONE of us are experts on.
Smaller players get hurt by bigger players, bigger players can get hurt by smaller players and round and round we go.

To dive needlessly further into this, Byron is just another of a long list of smallish forwards we have on the team, Weal is also kind of one of them now, but out of ALLLL the "smallish" forwards we have, who's the number 1 candidate that we could "move on" from. Logically speaking of course.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Bro, with your logic bigger players, would never get injured but they actually do because **** happens!

Hm, um, interesting, sure.
Thats not MY logic...but if we used THAT logic... Bigger players get injured all the time, and yes, its mostly because **** happens.... just like everything else...? ...Are you done?

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad