Confirmed with Link: Habs resign Jordan Weal to 2yr 2.8 million deal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We were a top 5 scoring team at even strength. I really don't know where this myth comes from that we're offensively challenged. And I don't buy that we don't have the personnel to have at least an average powerplay. And what does a 13th forward has to do with us not being able to score on the powerplay?

I was questioning a post about what the 12th and 13th player should be versus what the Habs are likely to roster at those positions. Since the post I was responding to brought up Washington, I didn't see a parallel with Montreal's situation. I did not mean to suggest that the 12th or 13th player should be used on the PP, only to make a general comment about how Washington having finished 5OA in GF does not rely as heavily on secondary scoring as the Habs do. The 12th and 13th player were not meant to referenced within this particular context.

The fact of having the worse PP in the league is a cause for concern -- I don't think it's a question of systems being used as Muller was in charge of the PP the previous year and it was 12th in the league. It's probably a matter of adding better talent.

Anyways, back to Weal.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Problem with D'lo is that he hasn't been the same since his facial injury. Can he become the player he was prior to his injury?

Exactly. I cut him some slack for last year. But it's how things work with 4th liners. In a career year they look good and all of a sudden they can disappear and not be NHL players anymore. That's why you don't sign these guys for longer than 1-2 years.

Reactions: the valiant effort

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
So you want to use your AHL club as a garbage disposal instead of a development tool just because it allow the team to sign players that might never even play with the team.....that's your thing.

As for "it's the time to sign your UFA".....funny that i don't see any other GM going nuts over their 4th liners. And i'm not sure a lot of teams were knocking at a 35yo marginal 4th line center.....those are really hard to find and must sign 2 months before UFA starts.

But hey...i'm the weirdo that want Bergevin to focus every bit of asset on fixing this team's problem like the LHD, Backup Goalie, Sniper, Size....and yes 1M to the garbage is one millions too much when you already trash like Alzner to carry.

And this story happened before, almost every years.....and the end results is never really good. Can't for Bergevin to say how he can't overspent on July 3rd.

A garbage disposal, what? 1M too much, what ? This is a hopeless discussion. And you continue to show you don't understand how things work so it's normal that you are mad at these signings.

Reactions: jaffy27

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
As a small nitpick, for a guy who collects 4th liners like Pokeman cards, Bergevin has often failed at the task of generating a decent 4th line. Hell, this year we went 2/3 of the season carrying non-NHLers like Chaput, Peca, and DLo before Bergevin had to redo the whole 4th line. There was his infamous deadline frenzy a couple of years back that inserted more non NHLers in King, Ott, and Martinsen, and I remember 2015 well, people kept ragging on Eller for not producing but that year the whole bottom six was a graveyard of Malhotra, DLR, Moen, Bork, Flynn, DSP, Mitchell etc etc. with none of them being any good.

What I'd really like for Bergevin to do for once is go add a legit front line forward, the domino effect would put a player like Armia or Byron on the 4th which is way better than his carousel of guys like Peca and Thompson.
Among the deluge of nonsense Weals' signing has caused, this post is actually valid criticism. If our club is built to mask the lack of elite talent with depth, which is likely how Bergevin envisions it, then there's really no excuse for not having an effective fourth line, or a backup goalie for that matter. Also, I agree the best way to build a good bottom 6 would be to add an impact forward and reduce the role of our other players. Unfortunately, defense is a much higher priority at the moment.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
However, would it not be an unfair comparison to look at the goal scoring of the 12th and 13th player from a team like the Caps who don't really need as much secondary scoring from their fringe players since they finished 5OA in GF this season?

Montreal couldn't even score on the PP if their lives depended on it. Would it not make sense for Montreal to sollicit their scoring from wherever they can get it?
You can't expect more from our bottom players just because some of the top players are not worth their position. You move the top players that are not delivering. Lehkonen should not be placed in a top 6 position. Drouin should not be playing at the top of the roster. Maybe 2nd line or 3rd line is the best he can deliver. Gallagher and Shaw played to their positions' offensive demands.

So we shouldn't gripe that MB is incrementally improving the players at the bottom of the roster. We should gripe that he is not doing the same with the top of the roster.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
A garbage disposal, what? 1M too much, what ? This is a hopeless discussion. And you continue to show you don't understand how things work so it's normal that you are mad at these signings.

I know perfectly how things work..stop acting like you're the only one around who knows how the CBA works.

But hey, Let's hope this time around Bergevin will fix the LHD....been waiting for 3 years now. Last year he sign a bunch of depth player (no risk, won't prevent the GM for a real solution....little like what you're saying) trying to find a gem just to realize in november that nothing worked and ended up with nothing.....

Did the same thing for his RW when he signed Semin, Sekac....

If you think for one second that Bergevin signed rhose guys without the intentions of playing them and start the season with them....you don't know how Bergevin works.

You build the team in june-july....not in october.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I know perfectly how things work..stop acting like you're the only one around who knows how the CBA works.

Then don't say things that make no sense like Peca 1,2M + Thompson 1M + Weal 1,4M is 3,6M less to sign UFAs. These signings do not hamper our ability to go after big names this summer. We have roughly 16-17M of cap space to sign big names. People not wanting to sign in Montreal because cold, french, taxes, media scrutiny, not a great team, etc will prevent us from signing players a lot more than running out of cap space because we signed Peca, Thompson and Weal. Most people understand that, so I'm not acting like I am the only one who does, I'm just acting like I think you don't. Which you either do and are being disingenuous and arguing nonsense to win an argument, or you don't actually understand it but whatever the case may be :

rocketsurgery_fullpic_artwork.jpg

But hey, Let's hope this time around Bergevin will fix the LHD....been waiting for 3 years now. Last year he sign a bunch of depth player (no risk, won't prevent the GM for a real solution....little like what you're saying) trying to find a gem just to realize in november that nothing worked and ended up with nothing.....

Did the same thing for his RW when he signed Semin, Sekac....

If you think for one second that Bergevin signed rhose guys without the intentions of playing them and start the season with them....you don't know how Bergevin works.

You build the team in june-july....not in october.

I think the intention is to sign your own UFAs that you want to retain while they can't talk to other teams and are asking for reasonable amounts. It's all this is. The time to make the big trades and sign quality UFAs will be in June and July like you're saying but first things first.

In the past MB has made good moves during the off season such as trading for Domi, signing Radulov, etc. He also has made some inconsequential moves like Sekac, Semin, Peca, etc. And those have had exactly zero negative effects. You can argue against these moves on their own merits if you want but they have not moved the needle one way or the other and have no bearing on signing Weal. He's also made bad moves like Alzner, Schlemko, two 2nds in a strong draft for Shaw, not signing Radulov, etc. Everyone is fed up of not making the playoffs but this particular signing has potential to be a good one, and cannot be a bad one. If you want to say MB has been bad historically and the results have been bad, you're more than welcome to.. but it's not because of this signing, or Peca, or D-lo, or Sekac or Semin. Those are all risk free gambles.. and if you only hit one homerun out of 10 of those low chance events then .. the goal is accomplished. And it's something that is common occurence for all teams since 4th liners are one small dip in performance away from the AHL which creates a natural rotation for the 4th line.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We were a top 5 scoring team at even strength. I really don't know where this myth comes from that we're offensively challenged. And I don't buy that we don't have the personnel to have at least an average powerplay. And what does a 13th forward has to do with us not being able to score on the powerplay?
Precisely........we are not as offensively challenged as most posters think......what we need to do is figure out that PP....of course we need to improve our scoring but it’s not like it’s a lost cause

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Precisely........we are not as offensively challenged as most posters think......what we need to do is figure out that PP....of course we need to improve our scoring but it’s not like it’s a lost cause

I'm all for starting the year with the only 5 man unit that produced kast yesr on the pp: Armia-Danault-Weal-Drouin-Weber. Make the second unit earn 1st unit status.

Reactions: Redux91

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Exactly. I cut him some slack for last year. But it's how things work with 4th liners. In a career year they look good and all of a sudden they can disappear and not be NHL players anymore. That's why you don't sign these guys for longer than 1-2 years.

1 year. They need to stay desperate.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Any suggestions?

Two big problems I see start with the letter D. Defense and Drouin. But I am going to invoke the "it's not my job" privilege here so I don't have any suggestions on how to fix them. Hate to mess up the Weal thread too. LOL And the GM is another story but he did good with this signing.

Reactions: 26Mats

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Figuring out that PP.....I have no idea why people say that. You don't figure out a PP. You have enough talented players to make a PP work. That's all. Everybody does the same tactics. Everybody right now use almost the same defensive system. Somehow, other teams can shutdown Weber but are unable to shutdown Ovechkin? Why is that? 'Cause after Weber, there's nothing. After Ovechkin there's something. Pure talent works a PP. Most of our goals are due to hard work. Hard work isn't what a PP is all about.

Reactions: bsl and Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Figuring out that PP.....I have no idea why people say that. You don't figure out a PP. You have enough talented players to make a PP work. That's all. Everybody does the same tactics. Everybody right now use almost the same defensive system. Somehow, other teams can shutdown Weber but are unable to shutdown Ovechkin? Why is that? 'Cause after Weber, there's nothing. After Ovechkin there's something. Pure talent works a PP. Most of our goals are due to hard work. Hard work isn't what a PP is all about.

Weber isn't in the same stratosphere as Ovechkin. If you look at most of Ovis goals pn one timers, he shuffles his feet to get in perfect position for the one timer. He chops his blades, its like he's stutter stepping or dancing onv th he ice. With Weber it's like he's stuck in cement. Half the passes he gets he has to corral and can't one time because he can't get in position.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
great post !
In what the signing of Weal is linked to the PP or the top 6 ?
Does Bergevin have the right to make an offer to Panarin/ Duchesne at this time of the season ? NO . Does he have the right to re-sign Weal and Thompson ? YES . There are 23 players on a roster and Bergevin needs to find the best player for each role

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The problem with that theory is that Nashville's PP was just as bad, and I don't think they have a shortage of talented players.

I also recall a year where the habs finished with the 7th ranked PP. I believe it was 2011, and Markov missed the whole season.

Talent pool is a prerequisite to have PP success but it isn't a guarantee of anything either.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The problem with that theory is that Nashville's PP was just as bad, and I don't think they have a shortage of talented players.

I also recall a year where the habs finished with the 7th ranked PP. I believe it was 2011, and Markov missed the whole season.

Talent pool is a prerequisite to have PP success but it isn't a guarantee of anything either.

They are deep on the backend...but yeah, scoring was a limitation up front for them. When your 2nd line is Granlund-Turris-Grimaldi....you don't think there's a shortage of talent? Especially the way Granlund and Turris were playing? And even if we would agree on this, you cannot take an exception and make it the norm. Pure talent in Florida up front...top PP, bad season. Pure talent up front in edmonton, top 10 PP, bad season etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad