Confirmed with Link: Habs resign Jordan Weal to 2yr 2.8 million deal

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Hm, um, interesting, sure.
Thats not MY logic...but if we used THAT logic... Bigger players get injured all the time, and yes, its mostly because **** happens.... just like everything else...?

Your initial point was that if you're smaller you tend to get injured more often and I asked you for some kind of proof...

What happened there?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Absolutely, except, this has nothing to do with what "I" said, merely the questionable reply I was given.
I said i love byron and what he's done for us, but the extension is nevertheless questionable.
I was retorted with an invitation to uselessly debate the stature of players with correlation to their injuries, that has now gone to 3 posts uselessly debating an arbitration on our opinions regarding something NONE of us are experts on.
Smaller players get hurt by bigger players, bigger players can get hurt by smaller players and round and round we go.

To dive needlessly further into this, Byron is just another of a long list of smallish forwards we have on the team, Weal is also kind of one of them now, but out of ALLLL the "smallish" forwards we have, who's the number 1 candidate that we could "move on" from. Logically speaking of course.
Got it...my bad.

I know we're getting away from the thread topic but I wouldn't be opposed to training Byron, in fact, I think he's one of the Habs better trading chips given his speed, affordable salary, ability to play multiple roles.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Your initial point was that if you're smaller you tend to get injured more often and I asked you for some kind of proof...

What happened there?

To cut your "who's right, im right, arguing for the sake of arguing" bullshit short.
My initial point is that im a fan of Jordan Weal's play and am happy with the structure of this contract that can benefit the team.
In contrast, a 30 yr old 5'9 frail player starting a 4 year 3.4 mill per season contract. I have the right to question its "benefit" to the team. Just like you have the right to defend against that notion.

But keep looking for "fights" its all you seem to be conditioned to do around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Yes I agree. My strategy would be to sign a UFA that's at least as good as Byron and bigger, and then trade Byron for a 2nd. I like Byron. But we have to get bigger. Ideally I'd also do the same with Drouin. But Drouin's value is so low right now I don't see us getting enough in return.

But I'm not GM. Bergevin is. So we'll see what he does. I'm hoping he can get at least 1 UFA top 9, if not a second one and/or a LD like Gardiner.

Exactly what i thinking about Byron, sign Ferland 5 years 20M and trade Byron for the best pick(s) you can get. Ferland would bring something were badly missing in the top 9.

Reactions: jaffy27

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
To cut your "who's right, im right, arguing for the sake of arguing" bull**** short.
My initial point is that im a fan of Jordan Weal's play and am happy with the structure of this contract that can benefit the team.
In contrast, a 30 yr old 5'9 frail player starting a 4 year 3.4 mill per season contract. I have the right to question its "benefit" to the team. Just like you have the right to defend that notion.

But keep looking for "fights" its all you seem to be conditioned to do around here.
What are you even talking about man? I never look for fights... Geez.. Have a good day

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly what i thinking about Byron, sign Ferland 5 years 20M and trade Byron for the best pick(s) you can get. Ferland would bring something were badly missing in the top 9.

He could take Armia's place on the 3rd line and push Armia to the 4th.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen/Drouin Domi Shaw
Lehkonen/Drouin KK Ferland
Weal Poehling Armia
Thompson, Dlo

And that move only costs us 500k in cap space (Ferland at 4 million in for Byron at 3.5 million).

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
He could take Armia's place on the 3rd line and push Armia to the 4th.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen/Drouin Domi Shaw
Lehkonen/Drouin KK Ferland
Weal Poehling Armia
Thompson, Dlo

And that move only costs us 500k in cap space (Ferland at 4 million in for Byron at 3.5 million).

We still need to acquire one of Panarin,Duchene,Lee,Skinner on the UFA market if we want to take the next step.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We still need to acquire one of Panarin,Duchene,Lee,Skinner on the UFA market if we want to take the next step.

The above move doesn't preclude that. I would be very happy getting Skinner and Ferland this summer. imo it's very feasible if we're willing to pay top dollar. Panarin, Duchene and Lee will be much more difficult.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
The above move doesn't preclude that. I would be very happy getting Skinner and Ferland this summer. imo it's very feasible if we're willing to pay top dollar. Panarin, Duchene and Lee will be much more difficult.

By adding Skinner + Ferland you dont only improve the actual NHL roster, you can also trade Byron+ another quality forward and get good assets in return, that would be amazing.

Reactions: Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
By adding Skinner + Ferland you dont only improve the actual NHL roster, you can also trade Byron+ another quality forward and get good assets in return, that would be amazing.

Yes, I really like Bergevin to get as many 1sts and 2nds over the next few years.

Timmins so far is looking really good in 2018, 2017, and 2016 after the first round. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is coming as the league is going faster. He was always better at finding smaller players after the first round. (Subban was 5'11 when drafted and there were concerns about his height, Gallagher, Grabovski, etc...)

Recently he's gotten Mete, Brook, Ikonen, Romanov, Ylonen, Olofssen, etc.. Instead of the DLR's, Crisps, and Lernouts when he was going for big bodies.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Yes, I really like Bergevin to get as many 1sts and 2nds over the next few years.

Timmins so far is looking really good in 2018, 2017, and 2016 after the first round. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is coming as the league is going faster. He was always better at finding smaller players after the first round. (Subban was 5'11 when drafted and there were concerns about his height, Gallagher, Grabovski, etc...)

Recently he's gotten Mete, Brook, Ikonen, Romanov, Ylonen, Olofssen, etc.. Instead of the DLR's, Crisps, and Lernouts when he was going for big bodies.

We might be dreaming here though, when's the last time the Habs traded a guy like Byron, valuable contributor with a contract with terms and not a headcase!!??

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

To dive needlessly further into this, Byron is just another of a long list of smallish forwards we have on the team, Weal is also kind of one of them now, but out of ALLLL the "smallish" forwards we have, who's the number 1 candidate that we could "move on" from. Logically speaking of course.

That's the exactly the fallout I am hoping for, from the Weal signing.

If they're going to add a greater physical advantage so they're not going into next season with the same type of smallish team, they need to start addressing it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure why some want to trade Byron. Very effective player.

We need to get bigger and make room in the top 9 for such a player. Someone has to be taken out. Who else do you take out of this top 12?

Tatar Domi Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Drouin Kk Byron
Weal Poehling Armia
Thompson, Dlo

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We need to get bigger and make room in the top 9 for such a player. Someone has to be taken out. Who else do you take out of this top 12?

Tatar Domi Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Drouin Kk Byron
Weal Poehling Armia
Thompson, Dlo

I don't think moving out Byron for a guy who is over 6 feet will change much in terms of toughness/physicality to our lineup.

And byron was 2nd among our forwards in hits/game, so trading him for a pacioretty/galchenyuk type player would actually make us softer.

If we're talking about a guy like Josh Anderson then its different

Last edited:
Reactions: scrubadam

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal

Tatar Domi Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Drouin Kk Byron
Weal Poehling Armia
Thompson, Dlo
Suzuki mate, Suzuki. You got Domi twice btw

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki mate, Suzuki. You got Domi twice btw

he'll get his shot. But let's not rush him if he could develop well in the A and only contribute so much right away at the NHL level. We'll find out in camp. If he doesn't make it right away, no reason he can't come in mid season.

But you didn't answer the question of who you take out to make room for Suzuki.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
he'll get his shot. But let's not rush him if he could develop well in the A and only contribute so much right away at the NHL level. We'll find out in camp. If he doesn't make it right away, no reason he can't come in mid season.

But you didn't answer the question of who you take out to make room for Suzuki.
Well, I take Domi #2 out and insert Suzuki, shuffle. I think we have to insert Danault too ;) Drouin is on the fence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleed4RTeam

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I like the depth simply because it should avoid pulling guys out of laval unless they deserve a call up. Let the kids play big minutes in laval. I'm tried of seeing so many players recalled out of Laval and depleting the laval roster.

Reactions: donghabs98

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I don't think moving out Byron for a guy who is over 6 feet will change much in terms of toughness/physicality to our lineup.

And byron was 2nd among our forwards in hits/game, so trading him for a pacioretty/galchenyuk type player would actually make us softer.

If we're talking about a guy like Josh Anderson then its different

I don't see how number of hits is an indication of physical intimidation or playing a style of play that can be described as "heavy and hard to face".
I am sure it's part of the conversation but that alone can't be extrapolated by itself to form an opinion.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Tatar Domi Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Drouin Kk Byron
Weal Poehling Armia
Thompson, Dlo
"Making room" is such a dumb reason to trade someone.

If a player is better than Byron, he'll win his roster spot. If the player is not better than Byron, why trade Byron in order to play the guy in a role he isn't ready / equipped for?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We need to get bigger
Why? We've produced an elite (top 5 in the NHL) five on five offense by employing a quick and tireless group of forwards that generates turnovers and hits you off the rush. Byron was one of the key cogs in this system. You're willing to get rid of him, in order to add unspecified "size". Are we changing our playing philosophy again, all of the sudden?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad