TSN: Habs Reluctant to trade Shaw

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe. That said, it falls in line with my belief that Bergevin really doesn't want to get rid of a lot players.
I don't think he trades Shaw, just like I don't think he moves Patches.

At this deadline...I agree. This summer may be different but when I think about it, you are probably right. Bergevin probably sees this season more as a blip in the road.

Bergevin can hang on to those guys. There is no rush to trade them.
A guy like Plekanec, that's a no brainer because you're not bringing him back (hope not). You can trade him and then sign a guy like Filppula-Letestu-Beagle-Vermette, if you absolute want a Plek type. Might as well just sell Plek, get more picks for this upcoming draft and then see how the hunt for a center plays out with Tavares-Backlund-Stastny available.
I am pretty darn sure that is what Bergevin is hoping for.

Based on how Julien absolutely adores Plekanec and has a very important role for him...i'm not convinced of that anymore.

Sell Plekanec, Morrow. Get more picks. Cross finger draft in top 5 and if we can get #1 overall, well, that is huge change as early as next year for our defense with Dahlin.
Then you open the bank for Tavares. Go all in for him. If you traded Patches and Shaw for younger unproven talent, well, you are sending the image that you are rebuilding, which is probably not going to be all too appealing to Tavares when he will surely have offers from better teams on the table.
If Tavares passes, hopefully Backlund-Stastny are still available and willing to listen.
In any event, you can definitely sell that the team isn't in a rebuild direction if you keep Patches-Shaw on the team.

Agreed...IF Tavares gets to free agency, it's hard to sell him on the idea of playing for the Habs when you just traded Pacioretty for some futures.

So I think Bergevin does very little selling this year. He will keep his guys unless he can pull a trade for a legit player coming back our way. Otherwise he will keep them here, go all in on the open market come July.
He's a fighter right? If he goes down, he'll go down swinging. He will dish out all the cash next summer in an attempt to lure guys here. Maybe he can hit the jackpot by signing Tavares and Carlson, on top of landing the #1 overall. All of this without having to move any big piece on the current roster.
I am sure that is what he is planning to do.
Taking a step back, looking at the big picture and how this team needed to be in contention starting from the last two years, dropping his ego and admitting selling guys is probably the best direction to take at this point, does not sound like something Bergevin can do. He'll go down swinging.

You're probably right and my confidence in Bergevin is tapped out

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Need to move out some wingers. If the Habs can get something of value for him, I'd definitely go for it. Unfortunately, I feel like Bergevin thinks he might be part of the core.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I never liked the trade to begin with, I always thought Shaw was a POS before he got here and nothing changed my mind since. Hopefully he gets traded and we get a decent return.....hopefully

not sure what people are expecting to get for him.....we got him for 2 picks which i thought was over payment at the time.....he might be worth one pick now,

just like patches and chucky....MB will over estimate his value just like most here, and that why he probably will not be traded....MB likes to play hardball, but can't swing the bat, so he loses out

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Im ok with keeping him. Hes one of the very few guys (theres like another one or two) who care.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Shaw represents the problem with Bergevin and his country club. You don't overpay for bottom six players. You make other teams do it.

Chicago couldn't afford him at anything more than $2.5 million. So what do they do? They got two second round picks for him and one of them ended up DeBrincat, who at 20 years old will have a better season than Shaw's best.

What does Montreal do? They sign Shaw for six years at a hair under $4 million. They try him in the top six and he can't do it. He's now an overpaid energy guy who takes bad penalties and already looks walking wounded for what? 35 points a year?

Is he a good player? Sure. But paying guys like him for middle of the road scoring means less money for actual stars that make a difference. Lose Shaw and Alzner and you got $8 million for a superstar. You know, like overpaying Radulov a little to keep him in Montreal. But nah. He isn't a priority.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The guy is 26.

He still has decent hockey ahead of him but I think there is a chance his contract and injury history diminish his value.

I don’t like the contract, but if the offers aren’t there we might as well keep him. Alzner is a truly bad player. Shaw’s term is too long (although not encumbered by a NTC, which is a positive), but he has some utility.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
This is more IMO a I'm not trading him because I acquired him type of situation
Bergevin just being himself, arrogant and heard headed
As much as I like Shaw, if you can get something close to the value we paid for, you have to move him

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Shaw represents the problem with Bergevin and his country club. You don't overpay for bottom six players. You make other teams do it.

Chicago couldn't afford him at anything more than $2.5 million. So what do they do? They got two second round picks for him and one of them ended up DeBrincat, who at 20 years old will have a better season than Shaw's best.

What does Montreal do? They sign Shaw for six years at a hair under $4 million. They try him in the top six and he can't do it. He's now an overpaid energy guy who takes bad penalties and already looks walking wounded for what? 35 points a year?

Is he a good player? Sure. But paying guys like him for middle of the road scoring means less money for actual stars that make a difference. Lose Shaw and Alzner and you got $8 million for a superstar. You know, like overpaying Radulov a little to keep him in Montreal. But nah. He isn't a priority.
one simple fact you missed....
You are smart he is dumb

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There probably is no way to know unless someone reports the rumor, but I wonder what the return offered by teams is. Maybe it's not worth it.

Also, reluctant to trade doesn't mean they won't trade him. That doesn't qualify him as "untouchable." They just would rather hold onto him than move him.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've liked what I've seen from Shaw, particularly ever since CJ took over a year ago.

He's only 26. And if Habs do indeed go with a youth movement, it's still a good idea to keep veterans around to help the kids. He'd be one I wouldn't mind keeping around for.

I will conclude by saying that if the return is worth it, he should be traded.

Reactions: Lshap

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

I think weber and drouin and what they were traded for represent bergevin's mentality more perfectly than shawzie

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Let's say I hate Shaw's contract and uselessness, I want to trade him ASAP, but more like a late 2nd rounder and a cap dump or even a 3rd, something like that.

Now, let's say I'm more rational, I want to up his value a bit and wait for some offers, hoping for more than only a 2nd rounder or a quality B prospect, and trade for the best offer only.

Finally, let's say I'm delusional, I want to keep him because I traded for him and gave him this contract for a reason, and we'll win everything with him !

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Let's say I hate Shaw's contract and uselessness, I want to trade him ASAP, but more like a late 2nd rounder and a cap dump or even a 3rd, something like that.

Now, let's say I'm more rational, I want to up his value a bit and wait for some offers, hoping for more than only a 2nd rounder or a quality B prospect, and trade for the best offer only.

The above says you're a Habs fan.

Finally, let's say I'm delusional, I want to keep him because I traded for him and gave him this contract for a reason, and we'll win everything with him !

The above says you're Bergevin.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
not sure what people are expecting to get for him.....we got him for 2 picks which i thought was over payment at the time.....he might be worth one pick now,

just like patches and chucky....MB will over estimate his value just like most here, and that why he probably will not be traded....MB likes to play hardball, but can't swing the bat, so he loses out
I wouldn’t get too excited about what a possible return would be for sure. Maybe a 2nd. ..maybe.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I think weber and drouin and what they were traded for represent bergevin's mentality more perfectly than shawzie

Shaw represents what Bergevin publicly said about the players he wanted on his team. He said he wanted guys like in Chicago who get angry after losses instead of move on to the next day. Weber was a part of that as well.

Alzner and Shaw represent what he values most: reputation and grit.

Drouin... He represents the failure of our pro scouting. He was clearly traded for because they believed he could be a superstar 1C in the time of their cup window. While the other players represent that as well, Drouin is a guy who would at least look better if he was on the wing, 8lbs lighter, and expected to be less of a driver and more the Tac in a Tic-Tac-Toe. Instead they want him to be all three.

They are the Bergevin core though, along with Jordie Benn. The core that sank the Canadiens.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Of course he’s hesitant to trade Shaw. Why couldn’t he of been as “hesitant” to trade Subban or Sergachev? The guy doubles down on character and shuns skill and somehow people are shocked when we have this awful awful team.

He seems to be remarkably willing to get rid of D-men that are competent at managing the puck.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've noticed over my 50 years on this planet that there are trick words. Such as, refreshing. "How's the water?" "Refreshing." In this case, refreshing means cold. Much like like good personality means not good looking and so on.
Apparently now, Reluctant means impossible.

Under no circumstances should you be reluctant, as a horrendously bad team, to trade a non critical piece.

MB is not reluctant to move good players or let them walk for nothing.. But ask for a player with perceived grit and character? Oh god no, I can't possibly consider that!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He models the defense after his NHL playing days. Slow, gritty, character and fighters

One of the more frustrating old-school mentalities is that forwards (especially top forwards) need to be defensively responsible, but the reverse (top D-men need to be offensively responsible) never seems to be required.

I like teams that have forwards that back-check and defend well. But I also like teams that have D-men that can create scoring chances, stretch the ice and create mismatches.

Reactions: PhysicX and Peanut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad