TSN: Habs Reluctant to trade Shaw

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
He really isn't. He's a good player to have if you're a good team. He can add some scoring to the bottom six and can play hard.

The Habs should move him to a team that can use him though. We need to rebuild.
Another type of player who is not uncommon in this league and quite easy to obtain. Sure he's fine but nothing unique or special that can't be acquired through trade when you need a player like him.

Reactions: WG

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Shaw gets a lot of hate here for reasons unknown to me...sure he's overpaid, but he signed the contract that was offered to him. I find he's been good for the Habs, but he can't stay healthy and every time he's playing well, he gets injured.

I'm not sure we should read into this obvious bait article from TSN...if a team shows interest in Shaw, being reluctant can serve to increase the price for his services, I don't know.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would trade Shaw if the return price was worth it but I'm not trading him for low return. He is a very good piece in the middle 6 of any line-up and he is great on faceoffs. Shaw has value... more value than most Habs fans who want Bergevin fired will admit.

Pleky needs to be traded though. Then see what kind of offers we get for other depth players. No need to blow it up this year. If we struggle again next year, then I would at that point.

Reactions: ginomini

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
We don't know what the offer was, the journalism is suggestive - but he may be reluctant to trade shaw for the offers tabled so far

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I would trade Shaw if the return price was worth it but I'm not trading him for low return. He is a very good piece in the middle 6 of any line-up and he is great on faceoffs. Shaw has value... more value than most Habs fans who want Bergevin fired will admit.

Pleky needs to be traded though. Then see what kind of offers we get for other depth players. No need to blow it up this year. If we struggle again next year, then I would at that point.

I'd rather have an overpaid Pleks than an overpaid Shaw.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd rather have an overpaid Pleks than an overpaid Shaw.

Not with their current ages. However, if Shaw can't stay healthy moving forward, then it's a concern. His play on the ice is much better than most admit and he is not the problem in our forward group.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Shaw gets a lot of hate here for reasons unknown to me...sure he's overpaid, but he signed the contract that was offered to him. I find he's been good for the Habs, but he can't stay healthy and every time he's playing well, he gets injured.

I'm not sure we should read into this obvious bait article from TSN...if a team shows interest in Shaw, being reluctant can serve to increase the price for his services, I don't know.

I think the contract is a big part of that. Our GM pays for grit more than talent, and as that philosophy is supported, over time you get less and less talent and more and more guys that hit the crest when they shoot.

Shaw is not a particularly talented player at all...but you need guys like that to win. Unfortunately for him we don't have enough talent.

Bottom line, he is not a brutal player, but he is overpaid for what he brings imo.

Reactions: 417

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
Who know, who cares at this point. Looking to a full retool next year. Let's pray that it doesn't get screwed up. #1 Center. #2 LH D would make us competitive. We can't go into next year with the same depth at center and the guys that we have aren't getting it done. Unless we have a major surprise only Stastny or Backlund might step into a C role. I am hoping for some kind of trade for a C, maybe Patches. But don't bring in Domi :thumbd:

#1 C Pacioretty Lekhonen/Byron
Drouin Galchenyuk & Sherbak (might not be ready)
Danault Gallagher Shaw
McCarron Deslauriers Hudon

Byron/Hudon + De Larose/Shaw/Froese (all of them might not be here)

Weber LH D
Petry Alzner
Benn or Schlemko (one or both of them might not be here) Mete

Jerabek (hasn't looked out of place) /Juulsen (might not be ready)

Price Lindgren

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
might as well just keep the entire team.....everybody in management seems to be happy....no need for changes

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
In cognitive science, choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected. It is a cognitive bias. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying those of option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Maybe. That said, it falls in line with my belief that Bergevin really doesn't want to get rid of a lot players.
I don't think he trades Shaw, just like I don't think he moves Patches.

Bergevin can hang on to those guys. There is no rush to trade them.
A guy like Plekanec, that's a no brainer because you're not bringing him back (hope not). You can trade him and then sign a guy like Filppula-Letestu-Beagle-Vermette, if you absolute want a Plek type. Might as well just sell Plek, get more picks for this upcoming draft and then see how the hunt for a center plays out with Tavares-Backlund-Stastny available.
I am pretty darn sure that is what Bergevin is hoping for.

Sell Plekanec, Morrow. Get more picks. Cross finger draft in top 5 and if we can get #1 overall, well, that is huge change as early as next year for our defense with Dahlin.
Then you open the bank for Tavares. Go all in for him. If you traded Patches and Shaw for younger unproven talent, well, you are sending the image that you are rebuilding, which is probably not going to be all too appealing to Tavares when he will surely have offers from better teams on the table.
If Tavares passes, hopefully Backlund-Stastny are still available and willing to listen.
In any event, you can definitely sell that the team isn't in a rebuild direction if you keep Patches-Shaw on the team.

So I think Bergevin does very little selling this year. He will keep his guys unless he can pull a trade for a legit player coming back our way. Otherwise he will keep them here, go all in on the open market come July.
He's a fighter right? If he goes down, he'll go down swinging. He will dish out all the cash next summer in an attempt to lure guys here. Maybe he can hit the jackpot by signing Tavares and Carlson, on top of landing the #1 overall. All of this without having to move any big piece on the current roster. That would give a pretty different look to our team.
I am sure that is what he is planning to do.
Taking a step back, looking at the big picture and how this team needed to be in contention starting from the last two years, dropping his ego and admitting selling guys is probably the best direction to take at this point, does not sound like something Bergevin can do. He'll go down swinging.

Last edited:

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I never liked the trade to begin with, I always thought Shaw was a POS before he got here and nothing changed my mind since. Hopefully he gets traded and we get a decent return.....hopefully

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'm not even surprised by this stupid **** anymore.

C5tP03WWcAAqTwC.jpg

Reactions: Peanut and Forum93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->