TSN: Habs Reluctant to trade Shaw

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wish they did fight, at least there would be some entertainment. I think we have a total of 2 fights from the defense all year. One each from Benn and former Hab, Davidson.

He's modeling the habs after the late 90s, early 2000s era which most smart teams have bypassed.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I suspect with all those concussions, there aren't any takers anyways. More BS hype put out by MB, trying to convince the fans other teams want his garbage signings, so he must be doing a great job, right?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Of course he’s hesitant to trade Shaw. Why couldn’t he of been as “hesitant” to trade Subban or Sergachev? The guy doubles down on character and shuns skill and somehow people are shocked when we have this awful awful team.

Just because he ended up trading Subban doesn't mean he wasn't hesitant. Surely teams were calling to trade for Subban for years. MB didn't move him because maybe he was hesitant. It's not like he was moved the very first time someone made an offer.

Don't confuse reluctant or hesitant with untouchable or never being moved.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's modeling the habs after the late 90s, early 2000s era which most smart teams have bypassed.
Hes not modelling it after anything, hes just a bad judge of talent and hes surrounded by nutsos or yes men.

Morrow, Barberio, Streit, Davidson, Benn, Petry, Mete, Jerabek are all puck movers or puck transition defensemen, but only two or three of them have the ability to do it at the NHL level.

The only players that fit that narrative are Alzner and Weber and he shipped out Emelin, Markov who also fit that 2000s defenseman thing.

Trust me, Bergevin is not smart enough to have a vision for this team and its pretty evident.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I would be reluctant to trade Shaw also. I would expect at a minimum, two top-40 picks in return. Also, he has an awesome contract, so I'm not going to retain. You can't meet my demands? Tough, I am holding on to him as top-12 grinders are hard to find, especially cup winners.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Montreal.
Nope, Montreal traded for a Stanley Cup winning, playoff producing, gritty player. His last 3 seasons in Chicago, he played 80, 79 and 78 games so where do you get injury prone??? His last playoff with Chicago he was the leading scorer.

HABS not having centres is what's really effecting this teams production, it needs to be addressed this off season, no excuses

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Dont expect Shaw to be traded.

Honestly not expecting much this deadline. Bergy has done a masterful job of lowering any expectations.

Trades are hard, we are all in, cant trade picks, cant trade what we have, cant sign good players, cap space tho, its on me but wouldnt change a thing.

The guy doesnt know his head from his rear.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
All I can say is Habs fans are a different breed.

They don't like anybody on their team anymore, like no one, maybe Gallagher, maybe Deslauriers.

Panging for Subban, Radulov, the once healthy knees of Markov. Eller, no wait he was overpaid. Anybody want Desharnais back, or Therien?

I like Shaw a lot. He is a gamer, comes to battle, but because of the consistent roster mess that originates from Gainey, and carries on through the Bergevin, he is often misused. Definitely has not been put on a line with anything close to the caliber of Toews and Kane in Montreal.

On a team with few right wingers, minor league right handed centres, and no toughness, Shaw definitely has a utility.

And in one of the few moves I did not mind from Bergevin he turned Weise into Danault, Eller into Shaw and the draft picks are ongoing.
Yes Chicago got Debrincat, does not mean the Habs would have, and he would not have developed the same in Montreal, guaranteed...

Right now I am kind of hoping for:

Pacioretty for Vilardi, 2nd, another 2nd in 2019, and someone else. Maybe Folin, I don't their d well enough. New captain, means a new direction.

I re-sign Plekanec. One year.

I trade Benn, Carr, Deslauriers, and other spare parts for whatever, Niemi too.

I sign Paul Stastny in the offseason, think he will be easier to get than Backlund.

I put Stastny between Galchenyuk and Sherbak. He gets the puck on his wingers sticks without hogging it.

I put Drouin in the spot Pacioretty occupied with Danault-Shaw.

Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher can keep playing against the league's best and win the battle most nights, or nullify them at least. With Drouin out of the centre spot, you don't have a -25 goal deficit to make up.

I bring back Max Lapierre to be a super pest. Play him with Hudon and Lehkonen on a 4th line that can skate and score a few goals.

Bring Deslauriers back to compete with Hudon. And a scoring winger on the cheap, preferably a righty. Or a skill guy, like Petan, for PP production, and depth.

I use one of those draft picks on a defenseman to partner with Weber. Maybe pry Darnell Nurse out of Edmonton. A skater.

Then you have

Nurse-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Mete-Schlemko

I don't like Schlemko on his offside, defending, so maybe someone to compete with him, unless one of Juulsen, Lernout, or Fleury break out of camp.

But the goal should be not to rush any 18 and 19 year olds into the NHL to fill holes, unless they break down the door. If you draft Zadina send him to the minors to start, like Chytil did this year. Develop Evans, Bitten and Addison into role players. I'd kind of like to see Gregoire play a game or two with the Habs.

Not a high scoring team, but if you can have a good skating, tight checking team, our score their opponents maybe 225-200 over the course of a year that's a playoff team.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Nope, Montreal traded for a Stanley Cup winning, playoff producing, gritty player. His last 3 seasons in Chicago, he played 80, 79 and 78 games so where do you get injury prone??? His last playoff with Chicago he was the leading scorer.

HABS not having centres is what's really effecting this teams production, it needs to be addressed this off season, no excuses

Last playoff with Chicago he had 4 goals and 2 assists in 6 games

Last playoffs with mtl he had 0 goals 0 assists in 5 games.

We are paying him for past accomplishments on another team he hasent done much for us so far. Did he have a lingering injury during the Rangers series? I cant remember

35 points in 72 playoff games. Not bad but plenty of players around the league can do this

Reactions: Peanut

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

He sucks and he's a homophobe.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
He sucks and he's a homophobe.
Don’t want this to derail too much but just cause he called someone an ag-fey on the ice doesn’t necessarily make him a homophobe. I’d be willing to bet over 60% of the league has that in their everyday vocabulary. It’s a hockey culture type of thing and unless you’ve played high competitive hockey you probaably won’t believe it.

Blame the culture around it and the way the word has transformed over the years. There’s a pretty funny Louis CK skit about that word and it’s use and I think it can shed a light on how people use it in today’s society.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->