Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre Part 4 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yes the same guy who got us Kirk Muller, and then Pierre Turgeon for an aging Muller, or Russ Courtnall for feu Kordic.

When Savard was gm, our organisation was relevant in the league. The team had clout. Something our actual gm is trying to get back.

you forgot Damphousse for Corson, Gilchrist and Vujtek. ANother RiP Off trade be Serge. Traded dead weight for a front line player who was HUGE in winning the cup

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Don't throw tomatoes at me but right now would be a good time as any to get Vinny. You arrange a deal so that Tampa takes half of the contract and you bring a veteran guy that has something to prove, still has talent and size. Vinny would also not have to carry the load as we're a winning team. And really it would sort of match with what Pittsburgh did as an upgrade for the playoffs(Vinny vs Iginla #2!). You put him on the first line between Max Pac and Gallagher.

The trade would be Desharnais and Bourque for Vinny. Bourque is injured but for Tampa it would be a rebuild statement of sort like Calgary so if you're them you take DD and run. Bourque would just be an added piece on the long run if he gets healthy. Anyway it would also adjust our roster better since the chances are Bourque would have had trouble finding a spot upon his return on our team anyway.

I wouldn't do that trade. First off, you're giving up too much for someone that has a horrible contract and been struggling with injuries.

Also, I expect TB to buy him out this summer. If they keep the team as is, they'll have about 1M in free space this summer. They have one compliance buy out, and Vinny has a 7.7M cap hit. It makes sense for them to buy him out. The only question is whether or not the owner has the cash to do that.
Vinny has the worst contract in the NHL right now.

If he's bought out, I'm definitely interested in signing him.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
you forgot Damphousse for Corson, Gilchrist and Vujtek. ANother RiP Off trade be Serge. Traded dead weight for a front line player who was HUGE in winning the cup

Yep. The same gm that took over Irving freaking Grundman, Pollock's choice by the way, He took over an organisation that had become the Have-nots accross the league, that had a depleted pipeline, with some sorry-azzed minor league system and was losing the beer war against O'Keefe. He turned things in 2 seasons.

Yes, he had his downfall like they all do. I mean Sam Pollock was way better as a gm in the early70's than atnthe end of his tenure. And he left us with Irving 'pot-de-vin' Grundman, a real slimeball.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I wouldn't do that trade. First off, you're giving up too much for someone that has a horrible contract and been struggling with injuries.

Also, I expect TB to buy him out this summer. If they keep the team as is, they'll have about 1M in free space this summer. They have one compliance buy out, and Vinny has a 7.7M cap hit. It makes sense for them to buy him out. The only question is whether or not the owner has the cash to do that.
Vinny has the worst contract in the NHL right now.

If he's bought out, I'm definitely interested in signing him.

The thing is, we would need him right now, not just next year. It would be the type of move to put us over in the series since we are at present time one of the best teams in the league right now.

There's 7 years left on his contract, if Tampa could front half of this, it would become more than a fair deal.

Finally losing DD and Bourque is not a big deal in my opinion esp. if you add Vinny.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Some of you guys are offering wayyy too much for an aging player with 0 goals, no contract for next year, who will likely feature on our 3rd line.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
The thing is, we would need him right now, not just next year. It would be the type of move to put us over in the series since we are at present time one of the best teams in the league right now.

There's 7 years left on his contract, if Tampa could front half of this, it would become more than a fair deal.

Finally losing DD and Bourque is not a big deal in my opinion esp. if you add Vinny.

If Lecavalier was bought out and a free agent, would you sign him for 7 years/28 million while waiving DD and Bourque?

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
While some will catch some Sharks games, very few here do. Some people were against going after Prust in the discussions leading to July 1st this past summer and almost every Habs' fan is now sold on him and what he can do.

I get to see Clowe a fair bit here out west and I'm convinced that fans would learn to love him in Montreal, in a similar way they like Prust. They guy competes. He's not afraid to go to the tough areas and he uses his size extremely well along the boards. He's also not afraid to protect his teammates if/when it's required. Plus, he can play hockey and he's not going to hurt the team when he's on the ice!

I can only imagine entering a game against Boston with both Prust and Clowe in the line-up, to support the skills already on this team. It would be a joy to watch, believe me.

This is a very accurate assessment of Clowe.

Part of the issue why Clowe hasn't scored (besides being snakebitten) is most of this year, he's played the F1 role with Couture and Havlat. However, his lack of speed really shows in that role. He couldn't get to pucks in time or if he did, and passed it to Havlat or Couture, he couldn't then get to the net for the garbage goals that he used to be known for. I think he was miscast.

If you put him on a line with a speedy forwards who can pass so he could focus on shooting or just hovering around the net, he'd definitely score.

I don't think Mclellan properly used him. You'd think he'd use Clowe like he used Holmstrom in Detroit but that would require Clowe being paired with speedy forwards with good puckhandling/passing skills.

PP Subban

Nov 9, 2006
Id have no problem addidng Clowe to the lineup. He brings exactly what the Habs need. Im sure hell get his goals with a change of scenery. Hes a solid playoff player aswell.

Now if Bergeron is not able to acquire said player. How about going to Phoenix and grabbing Torres and Morris in the same deal?

Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Clowe/Prust/Torres
Moen-Halpern-Prust/Torres

White/Armstrong

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Morris

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Well first off, Vinny and Bourque are injured. Isn't it against the rules to trade injured players?
In any event, as you said, we are currently one of the best teams in the league. We did this without Vinny. If we added a healthy Vinny to this current roster, then yea, it might put us over the top. But removing DD and Bourque for Vinny, wouldn't.

Also, you can't be shortsighted. The extra 7 years matter, even if TB takes half his salary.

If we are truly legit, then we should be a top team next year as well without even making any adjustments. If we're not, then we'll know this was just a fluke year.
In either case, there is no need to rush a trade this year. We're better off making a smaller impact trade, bringing some depth in (not moving some away), observe how we do in the POs, and then make summer adjustments.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes the same guy who got us Kirk Muller, and then Pierre Turgeon for an aging Muller, or Russ Courtnall for feu Kordic.

When Savard was gm, our organisation was relevant in the league. The team had clout. Something our actual gm is trying to get back.

The drafting was TOTALLY HORRIBLE and, along with the loss of two elite defencemen, is what ultimately caused 15 years of regression.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Id have no problem addidng Clowe to the lineup. He brings exactly what the Habs need. Im sure hell get his goals with a change of scenery. Hes a solid playoff player aswell.

Now if Bergeron is not able to acquire said player. How about going to Phoenix and grabbing Torres and Morris in the same deal?

Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Clowe/Prust/Torres
Moen-Halpern-Prust/Torres

White/Armstrong

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Morris

Who on Earth is bergeron?

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
We have to be careful who we add as the only way we beat teams is with our speed on the forecheck and transition game. I do like Clowe but he won't help us that much in the playoffs. Torres and Morris may be good adds for depth. If we are trading our first it better be for someone like Giordano.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
We have to be careful who we add as the only way we beat teams is with our speed on the forecheck and transition game. I do like Clowe but he won't help us that much in the playoffs. Torres and Morris may be good adds for depth. If we are trading our first it better be for someone like Giordano.

What? Clowe won't help us in the playoff?

He prooved in the past that he is clutch in the playoff and he has all the intangible to be succesful. He will be useful in front of the net on the powerplay when d-mans are gonna start pushing our little players away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad