Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre Part 4 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
With everyone so interested in Eller, I could see us flipping him for some interesting like Hjalmarsson + a decent draft pick.

It is very possible one or two GMs out there would overpay for Eller.

But is it an overpayment?

Also, we've all heard time and again how Timmins was interested in drafting or acquiring Terravainen. Perhaps that's the +?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That's a huge overpayment!!!

TT AND Hjalmarsson...
You hang up and say thanks

Nonono, I meant with the draft pick. Terravainen is worth a lot on his own. I assumed you meant their late 2nd or 3rd? I'm just evaluating how much Hjalmarsson is worth. I know he's had trouble in the past but I haven't really kept tabs on him.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
As much as we hate Gauthier.. a lot of this team is the team he built. He just couldn't put the pieces together, hence whey he's not here anymore.

I don't think anyone truly believes he doesn't have an eye for talent. Being talented and being a good leader don't go hand in hand. He had the brains for the gig, but not the leadership qualities.

He's probably in the exact right job for him now. A good leader makes decisions based on information he gathers from people they trust. I think that in general PG was an insecure micromanager... not a great combination... particularly if they are very knowledgable. That personality tends to alienate people.... that's fine if you live in a bubble... Montreal is a fishtank. His worst moves were probably ones that he felt cornered to do... McDo... Kabs.... Anyhoo.

He and Timmins have given us a deep pool... lets not empty it for a one shot deal... build a team to be competitive year in year out.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't think anyone truly believes he doesn't have an eye for talent. Being talented and being a good leader don't go hand in hand. He had the brains for the gig, but not the leadership qualities.

Oh please, PG scraped by every year and had terrible judgment. Worst of all, he had no relationships with the majority of the GM's in the league which restricted Montreal's trading partners.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
With everyone so interested in Eller, I could see us flipping him for some interesting like Hjalmarsson + a decent draft pick.

It is very possible one or two GMs out there would overpay for Eller.

That is enough reason for us to want to keep him. I don't want to see any of our good young players traded away, we are at the start of something good here, I think Bergevin is smarter than this.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That is enough reason for us to want to keep him. I don't want to see any of our good young players traded away, we are at the start of something good here, I think Bergevin is smarter than this.

Exactly.. If teams are always calling inquiring about Eller it should tell you something. Just keep Eller unless he's part of a package for a star impact player..

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

He and Timmins have given us a deep pool... lets not empty it for a one shot deal... build a team to be competitive year in year out.

This. I will be really pissed if we lose Eller and tbh you can never have enough promising D men. We still don't know who will pan out the best. We need to learn from our mistakes. The Habs have proven themselves to be a terrific team this year even when missing Diaz, Bourque and Prust. Can we just have faith in them without going for a mediocre player thinking that we are going to win the Cup this year (only if we add someone)?

Everyone says, "but what if this doesn't happen again?". That's nonsense. We aren't here by fluke and we're only getting better. Plus if we have a so so regular season and come 6th, is that the end of the world as long as we're continually developing our prospects to eventually take on the Hawks model.

It's funny how we say how good we are cuz of this year's reg. season, but don't trust what the team can do in the playoffs and then also say that we can't waste a 2nd or 4th year finish because it may never come again, ignoring what we might do in the playoffs.

I'm sure Bergy will make the right move and that is most likely doing nothing. If he gets Clowe for something reasonable, fine, but I like the way the team is, if we could only get healthy again, we wouldn't need Clowe (who at this point is just projected to do something useful at some point).

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This. I will be really pissed if we lose Eller and tbh you can never have enough promising D men. We still don't know who will pan out the best. We need to learn from our mistakes. The Habs have proven themselves to be a terrific team this year even when missing Diaz, Bourque and Prust. Can we just have faith in them without going for a mediocre player thinking that we are going to win the Cup this year (only if we add someone)?

Everyone says, "but what if this doesn't happen again?". That's nonsense. We aren't here by fluke and we're only getting better. Plus if we have a so so regular season and come 6th, is that the end of the world as long as we're continually developing our prospects to eventually take on the Hawks model.

It's funny how we say how good we are cuz of this year's reg. season, but don't trust what the team can do in the playoffs and then also say that we can't waste a 2nd or 4th year finish because it may never come again, ignoring what we might do in the playoffs.

I'm sure Bergy will make the right move and that is most likely doing nothing. If he gets Clowe for something reasonable, fine, but I like the way the team is, if we could only get healthy again, we wouldn't need Clowe (who at this point is just projected to do something useful at some point).

This. Based on how little Calgary got for Iggy, there is no way Begevin gives away anything significant for a ufa that walks back to the usa on july10th. Ryder for Cole was smart management. It turned out good for us with Ryder producing and Cole more or less doing the same in Dallas as he did here.

I would only give up a late pick and a player off the Bulldogs that is not a first rounder in any trade on deadline day. I like the way our team is now, and lets not make too many changes. Chemistry takes time to build and we have it with our guys, just based on the way the guys have played through injuries. There is strong leadership in that room and we would be best served to leave it alone.

Many posters here and the crazy trade proposals:shakehead:shakehead you guys sound like you are trading hockey cards. Lets just add a depth player, one that can walk in the summer. Make the splash at the draft and during free agency, this is a rebound year and lets build upon it rather than tear it all apart with no guarantees of anything.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

He's probably in the exact right job for him now. A good leader makes decisions based on information he gathers from people they trust. I think that in general PG was an insecure micromanager... not a great combination... particularly if they are very knowledgable. That personality tends to alienate people.... that's fine if you live in a bubble... Montreal is a fishtank. His worst moves were probably ones that he felt cornered to do... McDo... Kabs.... Anyhoo.

I refuse to believe that Gauthier was responsible for the Gomez trade. I pin that one on Gainey, who in his management career familiarized himself with the personnel on every NHL team. The Kaberle trade was Gauthier's responsibility. However, even that wasn't bad except in terms of money because Spacek wasn't doing much for the Habs.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Clowe or Clarkson would be good adds but I almost would rather see us trade Gionta for them and maybe a late pick. I don't want to give up our good prospects or high picks for these UFA's. This team will win with thir speed. The last game vs the Pens was great as we did not let them get out of their zone with easy breakouts. The 4th line played some great minutes with Moen, Halpern and Dumont. Extra grit is great but we need to stick with our winning formal and that is speed. If we give up our first it better be for a player like Giordano who will be around for a few years.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I refuse to believe that Gauthier was responsible for the Gomez trade. I pin that one on Gainey, who in his management career familiarized himself with the personnel on every NHL team. The Kaberle trade was Gauthier's responsibility. However, even that wasn't bad except in terms of money because Spacek wasn't doing much for the Habs.

Gainey was a changed man after his daughter drown. We were headed in right direction until about '06.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

You refuse to put any blame on the head pro scout after we made one of our worst trades involving pro players in recent memory? Welp, ok.

Habsterix*

The same Serge Savard that dismantled the great teams from 86-89?
The same Serge Savard who has won the last two Stanley Cups as a GM. The same Serge Savard who helped Geoff Molson select Marc Bergevin as the new GM. Yeah, that guy... Not the guy posting on HFBoards. :D

Don't know if it'll be you or Boston, but if you guys get him, you'll love Clowe. Guarantee Lucic won't push anybody around.
Exactly.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gainey was a changed man after his daughter drown. We were headed in right direction until about '06.

A tragedy it was but we can't just forgive and forget the irreperable damage caused by Gainey after that accident. He should've stepped down and his refusal to do so tarnished his legacy and his image. You either give 100% or you take time off until you can.

You refuse to put any blame on the head pro scout after we made one of our worst trades involving pro players in recent memory? Welp, ok.

How much blame does Timmins get for our draft busts? How much credit do our scouts get for every amateur pick? Etc. The buck stops with Gainey for every move committed during his reign good-or-bad. Gauthier may have ranted and raved about Gomez's quality but Gainey is the one who traded for him so Gainey gets the blame, everything else (until proven otherwise) is conjecture and speculation.

Besides, Gomez could've had 60-70pt numbers and he'd still be a god-awful contract and a god-awful trade. It was a bad trade and an awful july 1st and that's all on Teflon Bob.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Leblanc is far from untouchable, the problem is his value is at an all time low right now. Pretty much every returning forward on the Bulldogs has only gotten worse under Lefebvre, Palushaj was lucky enough to get out while it looks like Avtsin and Nattinen's NHL potential is over (not that they weren't long shots to begin with). I don't think Leblanc's value can get much lower unless he legitimately does Lebust, which I'm not ready to declare after a few months of Lefebvrepuck.

Like to see Habs deal a little future to improve shot at Cup. Where so many intangibles are going right this season. Next year have an idea shelf life on Therrein likely be expired. Not too often these seasons happen. Usually we hit hard with injuries or key players have off-season.

Where not much on UFA market this summer I'd trade for a vet in prime but with a year or two left on contract. Then re-trade the player at next year's deadline and get back same value we gave up. When the Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz are ready and Galenchyuk matured. That way we sure-up an area of weakness and don't really give up any future.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
FWIW - ESPN rumors page has Johny Oduya out of favor. Perhaps a trade around Emelin for Oduya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad