Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
I wonder if that's the only option though. I mean Plekanec should attract a few teams' interest.

I have a feeling the Rick Dudley connection to Winnipeg (Atlanta) might see the Habs take a long hard look at their roster. Kane and even Byfuglien are quietly being mentioned to be available at the right price (steep).

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
You make a trade for a superior center. Not many teams are trading top 6 two way centers, because it's generally a bad idea.

Kinda what I was thinking of. Some team looking for some other piece we have and trading a center plus something with Plekanec going back as part of the deal to be a replacement. The more I think about it, the less likely it seems. Still though, always good to start looking around at possibilities. But you are right, not many teams are going to want to part with a center.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Kinda what I was thinking of. Some team looking for some other piece we have and trading a center plus something with Plekanec going back as part of the deal to be a replacement. The more I think about it, the less likely it seems. Still though, always good to start looking around at possibilities. But you are right, not many teams are going to want to part with a center.

You're right as well. You should always be sniffing around. There's no harm in that and who knows when Toronto might call you up and give you two top 5 picks?

best case for dealing with Pleks (if you really want to deal him) is just wait another year and judge eller and galchenyuk from there. If they can take the leap, you pull the trigger.

Galchenyuk4habs

Nov 13, 2011
Montreal
Okay best scenario I can come up with for next season. Plekanec for Stewart and a 2nd.
Try to get a heavy anyway possible. I'm not even sure if we can sign Murray. If so then sign him, if not sign Fistric.

Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Briere-Stewart
Prust-DD-gionta
Moen-White-HW
Dumont
Thomas

During Emelin's injury:
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Murray/Fistric
Tinordi-Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiske

After Emelin's injury:
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Fistric/Murray
Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiskie

After Emelin's return ill be listening to teams for Diaz, hopefully he does good prior to 74's return. Gio/DD are options to be dealt at the trade-deadline, if they are still with the team by then.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Okay best scenario I can come up with for next season. Plekanec for Stewart and a 2nd.
Try to get a heavy anyway possible. I'm not even sure if we can sign Murray. If so then sign him, if not sign Fistric.

Prust-DD-gionta
Moen-White-HW
Dumont
Thomas

During Emelin's injury:
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Murray/Fistric
Tinordi-Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiske

After Emelin's injury:
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Fistric/Murray
Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiskie

After Emelin's return ill be listening to teams for Diaz, hopefully he does good prior to 74's return. Gio/DD are options to be dealt at the trade-deadline, if they are still with the team by then.

We run into the same problem we always do with this line of thought. You can only hide one of Briere or Desharnais's lines, and the other is liable to get smoked out there.

This is doubly the case if you can't build a strong defensive 4th line like MTL used last year to hide Galchenyuk in his limited minutes as a C when Eller wasn't in the lineup. You can't play a heavy in that role and its more ideal to have someone like Halpern rather than White in that job. And Armstrong had his faults, but he was solid at carrying the puck forward.

Insulating with toughness/size/grit is all well and good, but it really needs to take a back seat to insulating with two-way talent, otherwise you don't stand a chance of winning. Especially head to head in a division stacked with puck possession talent in Ottawa, Boston and Detroit.

dunner

Jul 4, 2012

Prust-DD-gionta
Moen-White-HW
Dumont
Thomas

During Emelin's injury:
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Murray/Fistric
Tinordi-Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiske

After Emelin's injury:
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Fistric/Murray
Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiskie

No! Plekanec >>>>>> Stewart

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I have a feeling the Rick Dudley connection to Winnipeg (Atlanta) might see the Habs take a long hard look at their roster. Kane and even Byfuglien are quietly being mentioned to be available at the right price (steep).

I'm not impressed with anything Dudley. I've watched for the past two years as the Jets struggle to straighten out that mess called the Thrashers and it's slowly happening but was it ever a mess.

Maybe he could use his connections to get a better job in another organization, that would be a good use of his talents, imo.

--------------

I think in 5 years from now Plekanec will still be better than Perron or Stewart. Kinda of lose now and lose later type of deal and then lose them for nothing in a few years.

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
IMO MB is done...

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Eller- Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Dumont - Moen
White

Markov-Gorges
Emelin-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz
Tinordi

Price
Budaj

this is the line up this year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
A big LOL at the ones considering moving Plekanec..

Its not that WE'RE considering doing it, i sure as hell aint thrilled about it

but its that we're kind of at peace with the strong possibility that bergevin IS considering moving plekanec.. DD cant be moved, looks like they are favoring eller as the new pleks, and then theres galchenyuk

and because of the fact a return for plekanec would probably be more lucrative than a return for desharnais, but lets face it, nobody in the NHL is taking that contract/player, especialy when pleks' contract/player ratio is so great to begin with

plekanec has unbelievably unfortunately become the odd man out overnight.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think I missed the press release where Alex 'the franchise' Galchenyux was permanently moved to wing.

No, Briere really is that awful defensively. It's been covered. He's one of the most sheltered offensive players in the league. Check out the first thread we had on briere, around page 15 or so. I'm tired of linking to it.

And if you really don't think that pleks is the most useful forward on this team, there's no amount of hockey you can watch or articles you can read that will help you figure it out.

And no he's no ****ing datsyuk. Hyperbole ftw.

I think he's plenty useful. He'll be put to use getting us a much needed PF in Stewart.

Galchenyuk4habs

Nov 13, 2011
Montreal
We run into the same problem we always do with this line of thought. You can only hide one of Briere or Desharnais's lines, and the other is liable to get smoked out there.

This is doubly the case if you can't build a strong defensive 4th line like MTL used last year to hide Galchenyuk in his limited minutes as a C when Eller wasn't in the lineup. You can't play a heavy in that role and its more ideal to have someone like Halpern rather than White in that job. And Armstrong had his faults, but he was solid at carrying the puck forward.

Insulating with toughness/size/grit is all well and good, but it really needs to take a back seat to insulating with two-way talent, otherwise you don't stand a chance of winning. Especially head to head in a division stacked with puck possession talent in Ottawa, Boston and Detroit.

That is true, I also forgot Bourque who can fight, but for whatever reason does not. I think Galchenyuk is ready to withhold a bigger role with the team than last year thefore less limited. IMO Toughness>puck posession

IMO MB is done...

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Eller- Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Dumont - Moen
White

Markov-Gorges
Emelin-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz
Tinordi

Price
Budaj

this is the line up this year.

Perfect line-up for Ekblad

but its that we're kind of at peace with the strong possibility that bergevin IS considering moving plekanec.. DD cant be moved, looks like they are favoring eller as the new pleks, and then theres galchenyuk

and because of the fact a return for plekanec would probably be more lucrative than a return for desharnais, but lets face it, nobody in the NHL is taking that contract/player, especialy when pleks' contract/player ratio is so great to begin with

THIS

No! Plekanec >>>>>> Stewart

Stewart fills a need, plus St.Louis needs to add. Stewart had more points than Pleky, he is one of the tougher PWFs around the league, in our prospects we only have McCarron who can is comparable in toughness but he is a few years away of the big league.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

probably because DD is the lesser player...

and by trading Plekanec, you get stuck with the lesser player...

dunner

Jul 4, 2012
That is true, I also forgot Bourque who can fight, but for whatever reason does not. I think Galchenyuk is ready to withhold a bigger role with the team than last year thefore less limited. IMO Toughness>puck posession

THIS

Stewart fills a need, plus St.Louis needs to add. Stewart had more points than Pleky, he is one of the tougher PWFs around the league, in our prospects we only have McCarron who can is comparable in toughness but he is a few years away of the big league.

And Ryan >>>Stewart. If I had to live with giving up Plekanec it better be for Ryan

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Did you guys ever watch Chris Stewart at all? Inconsistent player. He will be hated then loved then...

dunner

Jul 4, 2012
technology says otherwise: http://www.fantasysp.com/trade/nhl/223651/plekanec-stewart
and everyone knows computers are never wrong

stewart is the closest were gonna get to a lucic-esque player

Haha, I'm sure Bergy is home tonight running through every trade on that thing haha. But seriously for the right price I'd love him for Plekanec no way. His slumps will drive us insane as well as lazy following him around.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Sooo what do you guys predict happens tomorrow?

I say Habs do nothing but sign Éric Bélanger and the board crashes because of the rage. :laugh:

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

Size/Toughness and size can help puck possession. For Dustin Penner and Ryane Clowe are pretty good examples of players who can help possession because size/strength helps them control the puck and Jagr remains a good possession player based a lot on his strength now that he's so slow. Bergeron is one of the best in the league and his grit is a significant factor for why.

However, a great deal of the worst puck possession players in the league are there because for toughness reasons, and most of the better puck possession players.

Chris Stewart isn't a particularly good puck possession player, even for his possession though. And Tomas Plekanec is a very strong possession player at the most important possession position at center. Stewart's value is along the same lines as Bourque's, a big man that can shoot, which is nice but not nearly as crucial.

If your going up against Datsyuk-Zetterberg, Bergeron-Chara and Spezza-Karlsson, you need as much puck control talent down the middle as you can get. And Plekanec doesn't need to be as good as them overall, just close enough that the Habs own superstar 5 on 5 player in Subban can equalize.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Haha, I'm sure Bergy is home tonight running through every trade on that thing haha. But seriously for the right price I'd love him for Plekanec no way. His slumps will drive us insane as well as lazy following him around.

***** a blast, ive been running trades for the past 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad